|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time does Alex leave the Retreat in Chapter 23?
2. What fruit does Ezra pick two of and offer one of to Alex when they arrive at his greenhouse?
3. What does Houten say Raoul looks like he fell into when Alex goes to retrieve him from jail?
4. Who does Raoul barge in on to demand the arrest of the Touch for the deaths of Mr. and Mrs. Swope?
5. What does Doug refer to as "poison" when he enters the trailer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What condition is Raoul in when Alex goes to pick him up in La Vista, and why is he like that?
2. Why does Raoul initially refuse to leave La Vista?
3. What is Alex's initial impression of the Touch's Retreat?
4. Why is Alex particularly concerned about Ricky Moody following the death of Richard Moody?
5. Why does Doug feel he, Nona, and Woody are a family?
6. What reason does Raoul give Alex for choosing oncology as his specialty?
7. Why is Ezra hesitant to tell Alex what he knows about Nona when she was young?
8. Why does Alex decide that Sheriff Houten isn't the right person for him to go to in order to get straight answers about the Swopes?
9. Why does Alex say he "craved the balm of denial" as he is leaving the Touch's Retreat?
10. What does the name of the sect "The Touch" refer to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is Nona's life impacted by her father's incestuous experiments? What affect does it have on her psyche? How does she act because of it?
Essay Topic 2
How do Richard Moody's actions toward Alex and his ex-wife escalate as the book progresses?
Essay Topic 3
How is determination used as a motif in the novel? Which characters exhibit determination? What are they determined to do?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)