|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alex find in a hidden compartment along with some drugs in Matthias' room?
2. How much money does Alex ask Matthias to pay him?
3. Who tore up the room in the Sea Breeze Motel?
4. What prominent facial features does Noble have?
5. Who is Milo questioning when Alex calls him about Raoul being in jail?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about the back road Alex notices on the county map in the La Vista police station?
2. Why does Alex believe the diagnosis of cancer in their child must have been especially hard on the Swopes?
3. Why is Alex certain that Matthias lied about buying seeds from Mr. Swopes?
4. What do Mr. Swopes' ledgers indicate his wife's role was in his incestuous relationship with Nona?
5. Why did Alex buy Delano Hardy a guitar?
6. Why does Alex decide that Sheriff Houten isn't the right person for him to go to in order to get straight answers about the Swopes?
7. Why is Alex particularly concerned about Ricky Moody following the death of Richard Moody?
8. What does Alex think about as he tries to fall asleep on his first night in the Bel-Air Hotel?
9. Why does Milo think Alex is still in danger even though Richard Moody is dead?
10. What is Alex's initial impression of the Touch's Retreat?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the relationship between Raoul and Alex change as the novel progresses? What causes the change? How does Alex feel about Raoul at the end of the novel? Why?
Essay Topic 2
How is determination used as a motif in the novel? Which characters exhibit determination? What are they determined to do?
Essay Topic 3
What is Milo's and Alex's friendship like? Why is it important to the development of the characters? How does the friendship affect the plot?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)