|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is Alex's drive to La Vista?
2. How many gas cans are found in Richard Moody's truck?
3. Whose music does Alex play on the radio during his drive to get Raoul out of jail?
4. Who does Raoul barge in on to demand the arrest of the Touch for the deaths of Mr. and Mrs. Swope?
5. What time does Alex leave the Retreat in Chapter 23?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Raoul initially refuse to leave La Vista?
2. Why does Alex set aside the magazine he's reading while he waits for Ezra to speak with Raoul?
3. What is Alex's initial impression of the Touch's Retreat?
4. Why doesn't Nona want to return Woody to the hospital?
5. Why does Alex say he "craved the balm of denial" as he is leaving the Touch's Retreat?
6. What is significant about the route Ezra and Alex take to Ezra's home?
7. What reason does Ezra give Alex for leaving very quickly the first time he met Mr. Swopes?
8. Who does Nona say took Woody from the hospital and why?
9. Why did Alex buy Delano Hardy a guitar?
10. Why is Ezra hesitant to tell Alex what he knows about Nona when she was young?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are Alex and Noble Mathias alike? What in their past is alike? How does each man react to their traumatic past? What leads Alex down a different path than Noble?
Essay Topic 2
How does the Swopes' greenhouse reflect the family itself? What similarities does it have to the goings on in the family?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Nona choose to exert her parental rights over Woody at the time of his illness? What does this reveal about her? What is her relationship with Woody like at the end of the novel?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)