|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Nona when her father first committed incest with her?
2. What is Woody doing when Alex arrives at the trailer?
3. What movie star did Alex and Robin see the last time they stayed at the Bel-Air Hotel together?
4. How long ago did the monks leave the monastery that is now the Retreat?
5. What illness does Alex come down with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Alex's initial impression of the Touch's Retreat?
2. Why does Alex decide to follow the car he encounters as he leaves the Retreat?
3. What prompts Raoul to go to La Vista, which lands him in jail?
4. Why is Alex particularly concerned about Ricky Moody following the death of Richard Moody?
5. Why doesn't Nona want to return Woody to the hospital?
6. Why does the optimism in Garland Swope's ledgers end in Volume X?
7. Why does Raoul initially refuse to leave La Vista?
8. Why did Alex buy Delano Hardy a guitar?
9. What is significant about the back road Alex notices on the county map in the La Vista police station?
10. Why does Doug feel he, Nona, and Woody are a family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss determination as a motif of the novel. Which characters exhibit determination and what are they determined to do? How does determination fit as a motif of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
How is Nona's life impacted by her father's incestuous experiments? What affect does it have on her psyche? How does she act because of it?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Nona choose to exert her parental rights over Woody at the time of his illness? What does this reveal about her? What is her relationship with Woody like at the end of the novel?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)