|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. A banner for what sports team hangs over Woody's bed in the Swopes' house?
2. What kind of car drove away from the crime scene at Alex's home as evidenced by the tire tracks?
3. What does Doug tell Alex he'd been planning to destroy?
4. What does Doug refer to as "poison" when he enters the trailer?
5. Who does Houten tell Alex died of cancer ten years ago?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Alex say he "craved the balm of denial" as he is leaving the Touch's Retreat?
2. What is strange about the bookshelf in Matthias' room?
3. How does Alex manage to sneak up on Baron as he guards the gate to the Retreat?
4. Why did Alex buy Delano Hardy a guitar?
5. Why does Alex set aside the magazine he's reading while he waits for Ezra to speak with Raoul?
6. Why does the optimism in Garland Swope's ledgers end in Volume X?
7. What is significant about the route Ezra and Alex take to Ezra's home?
8. Who does Nona say took Woody from the hospital and why?
9. Why does Doug feel he, Nona, and Woody are a family?
10. Why doesn't Nona want to return Woody to the hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the single, normal tree standing at the end of Mr. Swopes' greenhouse symbolize? Why does the author include this striking example of symbolism? What does it add to the story?
Essay Topic 2
How is Kellerman uniquely qualified to write a crime novel such as this? What is his background? How is he similar to Alex?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Alex Delaware as the protagonist of the novel. What makes him the protagonist? What is he like? What do his interactions with Richard Moody, Woody, and Raoul reveal about his character?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)