|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Alex tie the guard up with?
(a) Clothes line.
(b) A jump rope.
(c) The guard's clothing.
2. Who is named after the cherimoya fruit?
(a) Nona Swopes.
(b) Ezra Maimon.
(c) Ezra's daughter.
(d) Woody Swopes.
3. How much does Ezra say two cherimoya might be sold for at a gourmet grocer?
4. What does Houten say is another word for bondage?
5. What does Doug tell Alex he'd been planning to destroy?
(a) The Retreat.
(b) Sheriff Houten's house.
(c) Alex's garden.
(d) The Swopes' place.
6. How does Alex describe Doug's eyes when he bursts into the trailer?
(b) Black holes.
7. What years is on Volume 1 of Mr. Swopes' ledgers?
8. What does the sign on the gates to the Retreat say?
(a) The Retreat.
(b) The Touch.
(c) There is no sign.
(d) Enter and Be Refreshed.
9. How long ago did the monks leave the monastery that is now the Retreat?
(a) Seven years.
(b) 15 years.
(c) Three years.
(d) 100 years.
10. What sits atop the belfry of the church in the Retreat?
(b) A crucifix.
(c) A weathervane.
(d) A statue of Matthias.
11. What does Doug suggest Nona give Woody to eat?
12. Who calls Alex to tell him Raoul is in jail?
(a) Beverly Lucas.
(b) Milo Sturgis.
(c) Helen Holroyd.
(d) Augie Valcroix.
13. What does Alex find beneath underwear in a drawer in Delilah's room?
(a) Pictures of Woody.
(b) Old reviews and press clippings.
(c) A diary.
14. What is the name of Richard Moody's lawyer?
(a) Mal Worthy.
(b) Elridge Durkin.
(c) Lawrence Daschoff.
(d) Diane Severe.
15. What does Alex stand on to peer through the window at the Retreat?
(c) Sun dial.
(d) Plant pot.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Doug call Nona?
2. How old does Ezra appear to be?
3. A banner for what sports team hangs over Woody's bed in the Swopes' house?
4. What fruit does Ezra pick two of and offer one of to Alex when they arrive at his greenhouse?
5. What does Alex discover Matthias lied about buying from Mr. Swopes?
This section contains 337 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)