|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Harry realize about Trisha?
2. What does Harry find when he returns to his apartment?
3. What is Harry told about Genosa when he is setting up a line to trace the curse?
4. What does Harry see Thomas doing in the mirror?
5. What does Joan say about Genosa?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Lara is getting ready to shoot Thomas?
2. What happens when Harry returns to his office?
3. What does Harry tell Murphy he has learned about Thomas and what do he, Murphy and Kincaid discuss?
4. What happens when Harry and Thomas get to Genosa's building?
5. What does Harry do after speaking briefly to Thomas and why does Inari come to his room? What happens to her?
6. What does Harry find out as he is setting up lines at the set and what does Murphy say about it?
7. What is wrong with the two people in the dressing room and what does the ambulance attendant tell Harry?
8. What is Harry helping to set up, what does he feel and what does he do immediately?
9. To what does Thomas agree and why?
10. Who shows up where Harry and Lara are fighting and what does she do? Who then shows up and what do they say?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Blood Rites belongs to the fantasy genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the fantasy genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a fantasy and a historical novel?
Essay Topic 2
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadowing are in Blood Rites? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadowing in Blood Rites. Include why you believe it is foreshadowing. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from Blood Rites and your own life to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of Blood Rites and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why Blood Rites is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,081 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)