|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Harry tell Murphy when they meet?
2. What does Genosa tell Harry?
3. What does the woman in the mirror tell Harry about Thomas?
4. What is Harry's cover on the set?
5. What does the being do when it dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Harry's mother tell him?
2. Who shows up where Harry and Lara are fighting and what does she do? Who then shows up and what do they say?
3. What does Harry do when he first arrives on Genosa's set?
4. How does Harry kill the demon and what happens to it when he does kill it?
5. What does Harry do after speaking briefly to Thomas and why does Inari come to his room? What happens to her?
6. What is Harry dodging when being chased and what do the demons do when he gets outside?
7. What do Harry and Bob talk about when he gets home?
8. How is Murphy when Harry goes to see and and what do they discuss?
9. How does Harry kill one of the vampires fighting him and Lara and what does Marva say to him?
10. What happens when Lara is getting ready to shoot Thomas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of Blood Rites and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why Blood Rites is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in Blood Rites. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Butcher chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Butcher chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Butcher's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, clifthangers, deux ex machina, etc...), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Butcher use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 3
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think Blood Rites is? Explain your response.
This section contains 1,225 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)