|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is special about the contents of a box to someone?
2. What does Harry do when he catches up to a hooded figure?
3. What does the woman in the mirror tell Harry about Thomas?
4. What does Thomas tell Lara about their father?
5. What does Harry do when he and Joan get where they are going?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Thomas feel about being with Harry, what does Harry say and what is Thomas's answer?
2. What happens when Harry and Thomas get to Genosa's building?
3. How does Harry kill one of the vampires fighting him and Lara and what does Marva say to him?
4. How does Harry kill the demon and what happens to it when he does kill it?
5. What does Harry find in the dressing room and what does he do immediately?
6. What do Harry and Bob talk about when he gets home?
7. What is Harry dodging when being chased and what do the demons do when he gets outside?
8. What reason does Thomas give Harry for Inari's injury from Harry?
9. What does Harry's mother tell him?
10. Where does Harry take the box and what happens there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Death Masks is one book in a series of novels involving Harry Dresden. Discuss the following:
1. What are a couple advantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
2. What are a couple disadvantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
3. Do you prefer to read a stand alone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
4. Do you think it is easier or more difficult (or about the same) to write a standalone book versus one in a series? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think Blood Rites is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 3
Whenever reading a science fiction or fantasy novel, one must become familiar with new terminology that explains concepts or technology that is not a part of the "real" world. In the case of Blood Rites, there is a great deal of new magical terms and familiar words with new meanings. Discuss the following:
1. Find five terms that are a part of the world of Blood Rites that are a part of the language but mean something different. Define the words as used in Blood Rites and compare those five words as to how they are currently used in the American English language.
2. How does the language of Blood Rites from that of real world Chicago? Are there words you did not know in Blood Rites? What? How do you learn their meanings? What does it mean to grasp a the meaning of a word through its context? Can you do that in Blood Rites? Give an example of several words whose definition are made clear through the context of how the word is used.
3. There are ways of learning about a new world or time when reading a science fiction or fantasy novel. Discuss the ways you were able to understand the world of Blood Rites through its vocabulary. Did you have to look up any words?
4. Were there any words you never really understood from Blood Rites? Which ones? Why?
This section contains 1,308 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)