|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bob tell Harry about his search?
2. What does Harry do when he and Joan get where they are going?
3. What does Harry yell at Thomas?
4. What does the being do when it dies?
5. What do Lara and Harry do when they are attacked?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Harry kill one of the vampires fighting him and Lara and what does Marva say to him?
2. What does Joan tell Harry about Genosa's present company and actors?
3. What do Harry and Murphy talk about on the phone concerning Genosa?
4. What is Harry dodging when being chased and what do the demons do when he gets outside?
5. What happens when Lara is getting ready to shoot Thomas?
6. What happens when Harry returns to his office?
7. How is Murphy when Harry goes to see and and what do they discuss?
8. What is wrong with the two people in the dressing room and what does the ambulance attendant tell Harry?
9. What is Harry doing at the beginning of the book?
10. What happens when Harry and Thomas get to Genosa's building?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Death Masks is one book in a series of novels involving Harry Dresden. Discuss the following:
1. What are a couple advantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
2. What are a couple disadvantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
3. Do you prefer to read a stand alone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
4. Do you think it is easier or more difficult (or about the same) to write a standalone book versus one in a series? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in Blood Rites. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in Blood Rites. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of change in Blood Rites. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with change? Why? What are some symbols of change? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid? Which situations seem most changed?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Blood Rites.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Blood Rites. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Blood Rites. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 1,087 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)