|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Richard miss having around because of their bond of friendship?
2. What is put around Kahlan's neck when she is captured?
3. Who decides that it is important to go help Richard after reading his letter?
4. Who does Kahlan fear that she has failed since the people of the Midlands are disbanded?
5. Who says that Jagang can't touch anyone that has sworn themselves to Richard and wants Verna to denounce her bond to him as an experiment?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Nathan initially angry with Verna?
2. How does the housekeeper help Verna escape from her cell?
3. What are Jebra's visions about Zedd and Kahlan?
4. Why is it hard to get into the Wizard's Keep?
5. How does Verna save the journey book?
6. Why does Verna weep after Warren disappears?
7. Why does Richard help the Sisters of the Dark against Jagang?
8. What happens when Annalina buys a honey cake?
9. Why does Holly go out to play instead of helping her grandmother?
10. How does Zedd travel to Aydindril?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the main themes in the book is ethical and social responsibility. List at least four examples where Goodkind employs this specific theme. Is the battle between making ethical choices obvious or subtle? What characters are involved in this kind of battle? Do you think the right person or group won? Does good always triumph over evil in the case of Blood of the Fold ethics? Where do these definitions appear vague or incomprehensible?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Duchess. What is her role in the story? What was Goodkind trying to accomplish by creating the Duchess' character in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
There are many references to the dead or undead throughout the book. Why do you think that is the case? Do you think it has to do with the nature of the characters, the story, or as a vehicle to introduce and understand the concept of the afterlife? Do you think the use of the undead is effective? How do living characters interact with those that have died?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)