Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tries to argue with Verna about her new rule about pregnancy, saying that men have uncontrollable urges?
2. Inside the sanctuary, what does Verna find with a note on it instructing Verna to guard it with her life?
3. Who is Verna angry with because she fears that she is being used by Annalina and could be the false prelate?
4. Who does Richard make swear that they will protect Kahlan the same as they would him?
5. What is necessary to use for a spell that Tobias wants, that involves something Richard has touched?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the fear that Warren instills in Verna about her role?
2. Why does Verna weep after Warren disappears?
3. Why are the mriswith willing to help Richard at the end of the novel?
4. Why does Richard help the Sisters of the Dark against Jagang?
5. Why does Tobias detain the old woman and her granddaughter from the streets of Aydindril?
6. What does Tobias confess to his sister about the Creator in Chapter 36?
7. Why do the Sisters of the Dark want Richard to die?
8. Why do the Sisters argue with Verna about her new rule regarding wizards and women in town?
9. Why does Gratch watch the woods while sitting with Richard on the steps?
10. How does the housekeeper help Verna escape from her cell?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the novel's title. What did the author mean by calling the book Blood of the Fold? Cite an example to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
There are many references to the dead or undead throughout the book. Why do you think that is the case? Do you think it has to do with the nature of the characters, the story, or as a vehicle to introduce and understand the concept of the afterlife? Do you think the use of the undead is effective? How do living characters interact with those that have died?
Essay Topic 3
The reader learns that Richard is destined to fix the devastation that has befallen the lands in the Blood of the Fold and help the people that belong there. It would appear that Richard has little choice in his life it is completely guided by destiny or fate.
1. Do you think RichardÊ¼s life is controlled by destiny? Do you think everyoneÊ¼s life is controlled by destiny? Why or why not?
2. Discuss whether destiny and free will can both exist in a world. Use examples to illustrate your arguments.
3. If fate or destiny was stronger than individual choice discuss why would anyone work towards a goal. Use examples to illustrate your arguments.
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)