|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who believes that Richard's quest is similar to his opponent and is just a desire to take over the world?
2. Who receives an invitation to come to the Confessor's Palace by invitation of Master Rahl?
3. Who do Tobias, Lunetta and Galtero take hostage?
4. What is unusual about the women in the boat in Chapter 1?
5. What does Richard remove as he enters the General's room?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lunetta gain control of the duchess?
2. Why does Gratch watch the woods while sitting with Richard on the steps?
3. Why did Tobias insist on getting a coin from Richard?
4. What is the significance of the journey book that Verna finds?
5. Where were the six former Sisters of the Light forced to flee the Palace?
6. Why do the Sisters argue with Verna about her new rule regarding wizards and women in town?
7. What control does Jagang have over the Sisters of the Dark?
8. How is the housekeeper described in Chapter 21?
9. What does Richard say must be done for freedom at the Confessor's Palace?
10. How did Richard become the next Lord Rahl?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the main themes in the book is ethical and social responsibility. List at least four examples where Goodkind employs this specific theme. Is the battle between making ethical choices obvious or subtle? What characters are involved in this kind of battle? Do you think the right person or group won? Does good always triumph over evil in the case of Blood of the Fold ethics? Where do these definitions appear vague or incomprehensible?
Essay Topic 2
Richard and Verna are two of the most active and influential characters, whose choices affect all the other characters in the novel.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist, and how do they interact? What is similar about them, and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Richard had a direct influence upon? What are some events that Verna had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support to the group? Which one is stronger, and why?
Essay Topic 3
The Keeper appears as a Satan-like figure that reigns over hell. Discuss the use of the Keeper in the book. Does Goodkind's portrayal of the Keepermatch your own concept or the concept taught through religion and myth? What kind of powers does the Keeper have? What is your concept of hell in a religious or mythical context?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)