|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tries to argue with Verna about her new rule about pregnancy, saying that men have uncontrollable urges?
2. What does Richard remove as he enters the General's room?
3. What comes out of the woods to attack Richard and his pet?
4. Who does Tobias dream of?
5. Who does Verna make the following rule about? Those living in the Palace will no longer be allowed to get women in the town pregnant with no repercussions.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are none of the Sisters able to get close to the prelate ring?
2. How does Verna learn that someone was snooping in her office?
3. How does Tobias decided that the Creator is the dream walker?
4. What is the significance of the journey book that Verna finds?
5. How did Richard become the next Lord Rahl?
6. Why do the Sisters argue with Verna about her new rule regarding wizards and women in town?
7. How is the housekeeper described in Chapter 21?
8. How is Galtero's evil ways revealed in Chapter 19?
9. How does Richard kill the mriswith that appears in the General's room?
10. Why do men on the boat leer at the Sisters of the Dark?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Keeper appears as a Satan-like figure that reigns over hell. Discuss the use of the Keeper in the book. Does Goodkind's portrayal of the Keepermatch your own concept or the concept taught through religion and myth? What kind of powers does the Keeper have? What is your concept of hell in a religious or mythical context?
Essay Topic 2
The reader learns that Richard is destined to fix the devastation that has befallen the lands in the Blood of the Fold and help the people that belong there. It would appear that Richard has little choice in his life it is completely guided by destiny or fate.
1. Do you think Richardʼs life is controlled by destiny? Do you think everyoneʼs life is controlled by destiny? Why or why not?
2. Discuss whether destiny and free will can both exist in a world. Use examples to illustrate your arguments.
3. If fate or destiny was stronger than individual choice discuss why would anyone work towards a goal. Use examples to illustrate your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Kahlan is described as the Mother Confessor. What does this role involve? How does this relate to the roles of other characters? What is her relationship to Richard? How is she like other women in the book? How is she different?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)