|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who begins to attack Richard in the General's room?
2. What is the town that Richard is walking in, where he buys honey cakes?
3. Who did Richard kill that made him the next Lord Rahl?
4. What does Verna say is being replaced by gold when the women in the town get pregnant with no repercussions?
5. Who has signed a note that announces the new prelate?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Richard feel alone after Gratch leaves?
2. What does the Mord Sith that dies at the hand of a mriswith confess to Richard?
3. What control does Jagang have over the Sisters of the Dark?
4. Why does Tobias let his sister live?
5. Why do men on the boat leer at the Sisters of the Dark?
6. Why did Tobias insist on getting a coin from Richard?
7. Why does Gratch watch the woods while sitting with Richard on the steps?
8. How does Verna learn that someone was snooping in her office?
9. What does Simona confess to Verna about her dreams?
10. What horror awaits Tobias when he enters the area where the old woman and her granddaughter were imprisoned?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Goodkind uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples, making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
The reader learns that Richard is destined to fix the devastation that has befallen the lands in the Blood of the Fold and help the people that belong there. It would appear that Richard has little choice in his life it is completely guided by destiny or fate.
1. Do you think Richardʼs life is controlled by destiny? Do you think everyoneʼs life is controlled by destiny? Why or why not?
2. Discuss whether destiny and free will can both exist in a world. Use examples to illustrate your arguments.
3. If fate or destiny was stronger than individual choice discuss why would anyone work towards a goal. Use examples to illustrate your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
The Keeper appears as a Satan-like figure that reigns over hell. Discuss the use of the Keeper in the book. Does Goodkind's portrayal of the Keepermatch your own concept or the concept taught through religion and myth? What kind of powers does the Keeper have? What is your concept of hell in a religious or mythical context?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)