|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the town that Richard is walking in, where he buys honey cakes?
2. Who casts a spell on the hostage's wife after cutting off her left nipple?
3. Who is Richard thinking about while he sits with his pet?
4. Who is the strongest of the women in the boat and becomes their leader?
5. Who does Richard want to convince with a letter from a high D'Haran commander and by showing his magic?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the Sisters argue with Verna about her new rule regarding wizards and women in town?
2. What control does Jagang have over the Sisters of the Dark?
3. How does Lunetta gain control of the duchess?
4. What is the significance of the journey book that Verna finds?
5. Where were the six former Sisters of the Light forced to flee the Palace?
6. Why does Gratch watch the woods while sitting with Richard on the steps?
7. How is the housekeeper described in Chapter 21?
8. Why does Tobias slap the face of the dead hunter?
9. Why does Richard insist that the Mord-Sith stay with him and not let him be alone with the Duchess?
10. How does Verna learn that someone was snooping in her office?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the main themes in the book is ethical and social responsibility. List at least four examples where Goodkind employs this specific theme. Is the battle between making ethical choices obvious or subtle? What characters are involved in this kind of battle? Do you think the right person or group won? Does good always triumph over evil in the case of Blood of the Fold ethics? Where do these definitions appear vague or incomprehensible?
Essay Topic 2
Magic and the supernatural play a significant role in the Blood of the Fold. Who has magical powers? What objects are associated with magic? How is magic wielded? Is magic a force for good? Why or why not? When is magic essential to the forward progression of events and when does magic curtail events? How does magic contribute to an atmosphere of fantasy in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
There are many references to the dead or undead throughout the book. Why do you think that is the case? Do you think it has to do with the nature of the characters, the story, or as a vehicle to introduce and understand the concept of the afterlife? Do you think the use of the undead is effective? How do living characters interact with those that have died?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)