|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the woman in the boat work in secret for the dark master?
2. Who is Verna angry with because she fears that she is being used by Annalina and could be the false prelate?
3. Who will sneak out of the camp in order to hunt the Mother Confessor without the D'Harans realizing that they have gone?
4. Who do the women in the boat blame as the reason that they have to flee?
5. What does Richard use to fight his attackers in the General's room?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the Sisters argue with Verna about her new rule regarding wizards and women in town?
2. Why is Richard confused about his interactions with the Duchess?
3. Why does Gratch watch the woods while sitting with Richard on the steps?
4. Why does Richard insist that the Mord-Sith stay with him and not let him be alone with the Duchess?
5. How is the housekeeper described in Chapter 21?
6. How does Verna learn that someone was snooping in her office?
7. What does the Mord Sith that dies at the hand of a mriswith confess to Richard?
8. Why does Tobias slap the face of the dead hunter?
9. Why is Richard forced to fight to protect the lands?
10. What control does Jagang have over the Sisters of the Dark?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Richard and Verna are two of the most active and influential characters, whose choices affect all the other characters in the novel.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist, and how do they interact? What is similar about them, and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Richard had a direct influence upon? What are some events that Verna had a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character offers support to the group? Which one is stronger, and why?
Essay Topic 2
The reader learns that Richard is destined to fix the devastation that has befallen the lands in the Blood of the Fold and help the people that belong there. It would appear that Richard has little choice in his life it is completely guided by destiny or fate.
1. Do you think Richardʼs life is controlled by destiny? Do you think everyoneʼs life is controlled by destiny? Why or why not?
2. Discuss whether destiny and free will can both exist in a world. Use examples to illustrate your arguments.
3. If fate or destiny was stronger than individual choice discuss why would anyone work towards a goal. Use examples to illustrate your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Many characters end up in strange worlds or alternate realities, suggesting the existence of a parallel universe of that of the Keeper. What are your thoughts on a parallel universe? Do you think one can exist? Can there be more than one? If so, are certain intersections or events predestined or does free will rule over all? What do you think might be happening in your parallel universe right now?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)