Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tries to argue with Verna about her new rule about pregnancy, saying that men have uncontrollable urges?
2. Inside the sanctuary, what does Verna find with a note on it instructing Verna to guard it with her life?
3. Who is Verna angry with because she fears that she is being used by Annalina and could be the false prelate?
4. Who does Richard make swear that they will protect Kahlan the same as they would him?
5. What is necessary to use for a spell that Tobias wants, that involves something Richard has touched?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the fear that Warren instills in Verna about her role?
2. Why does Verna weep after Warren disappears?
3. Why are the mriswith willing to help Richard at the end of the novel?
4. Why does Richard help the Sisters of the Dark against Jagang?
5. Why does Tobias detain the old woman and her granddaughter from the streets of Aydindril?
6. What does Tobias confess to his sister about the Creator in Chapter 36?
7. Why do the Sisters of the Dark want Richard to die?
8. Why do the Sisters argue with Verna about her new rule regarding wizards and women in town?
9. Why does Gratch watch the woods while sitting with Richard on the steps?
10. How does the housekeeper help Verna escape from her cell?
Essay Topic 1
One of the main themes in the book is ethical and social responsibility. List at least four examples where Goodkind employs this specific theme. Is the battle between making ethical choices obvious or subtle? What characters are involved in this kind of battle? Do you think the right person or group won? Does good always triumph over evil in the case of Blood of the Fold ethics? Where do these definitions appear vague or incomprehensible?
Essay Topic 2
Goodkind uses more than one instance of irony in the novel. Cite at least two examples you can identify in the book and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 3
Kahlan is described as the Mother Confessor. What does this role involve? How does this relate to the roles of other characters? What is her relationship to Richard? How is she like other women in the book? How is she different?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)