|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Verna use to protect her office magically?
2. Who has signed a note that announces the new prelate?
3. When Verna goes to the sanctuary, what does she use to ask Annalina a question?
4. Whose bodies are on pikes in front of the Confessor's Palace?
5. If Richard sits back and does nothing, who will be able to conquer the lands he is sworn to protect?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Richard forced to fight to protect the lands?
2. Why does Warren think Annalisa made Verna the next prelate?
3. Why does Tobias let his sister live?
4. What is the fear that Warren instills in Verna about her role?
5. Why does Gratch watch the woods while sitting with Richard on the steps?
6. Why do the Sisters of the Dark want Richard to die?
7. Where were the six former Sisters of the Light forced to flee the Palace?
8. What does Simona confess to Verna about her dreams?
9. What horror awaits Tobias when he enters the area where the old woman and her granddaughter were imprisoned?
10. How does Verna learn that someone was snooping in her office?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Keeper appears as a Satan-like figure that reigns over hell. Discuss the use of the Keeper in the book. Does Goodkind's portrayal of the Keepermatch your own concept or the concept taught through religion and myth? What kind of powers does the Keeper have? What is your concept of hell in a religious or mythical context?
Essay Topic 2
One of the main themes in the book is ethical and social responsibility. List at least four examples where Goodkind employs this specific theme. Is the battle between making ethical choices obvious or subtle? What characters are involved in this kind of battle? Do you think the right person or group won? Does good always triumph over evil in the case of Blood of the Fold ethics? Where do these definitions appear vague or incomprehensible?
Essay Topic 3
Power plays a significant role in the book. Goodkind refers to the power games of the Sisters of the Dark versus the Sisters of the Light. Discuss the use of politics in the novel. How does politics influence the actions of the main characters of Richard, Zedd, Kahlan, Verna, Jagang, and others? Also, examine the use of politics in relationships.
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)