|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the doctor headed before he takes over the ferry?
2. When does Brown say the Indians do not ride?
3. What is the name of the feast?
4. Where does the gang camp?
5. What causes Tobin and the Kid to travel slowly?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the gang celebrate its victory?
2. How do Glanton and his gang use the ferry?
3. Describe the fight between the locals and the gang.
4. Describe the confrontation between the Kid and the Judge in Chapter 22.
5. Describe the argument between the proprietor and Jackson in the diner.
6. Summarize the novel.
7. Describe how the man dies.
8. How does the book end?
9. What happens to the gang's Indian scouts?
10. Who wants to join the gang in Chapter 17?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Blood Meridian is a popular book which has greatly influenced modern literature. Choose a book written after Blood Meridian that you think was influenced by the novel and discuss their similarities in terms of:
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does McCarthy use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
The novel is set mostly in Texas.
1) What meaning does Texas bring to the novel? What would you automatically presume about a novel that was set in Texas?
2) How different do you think today's Texas is to the Texas in the novel? How do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's Texas?
3) How do you think the Texas settings of the novel contribute to the novel's violent tone?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)