|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Kid go to the beach to do?
2. Who do Toadvine and the Kid meet at Alamo Mucho?
3. Who meets the gang at the city gate?
4. Which of the characters scalps the dead?
5. How many men live in the church?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the gang's Indian scouts?
2. On what do the Judge and the gang leaders agree?
3. How does the gang celebrate its victory?
4. In what way does Chapter 20 show a theme of evil?
5. How does Glanton decide who kills the injured men.
6. What happens between Glanton and the Indians in Chapter 16?
7. How does the Kid survive the snow and the soldiers' onslaught?
8. Describe how Elrod gets killed.
9. How do Toadvine and the Kid escape the Indians?
10. Summarize the novel.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What comparisons can be drawn between Samuel Chamberlain's My Confession and Blood Meridian? Which is the more accurate account and why? Why does McCarty uses Chamberlain's novel as a reference point?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the impact of good and evil within our culture. Have representations of good and evil had a negative impact on society? Does the division of good and evil make things seem simpler than what they are? Does McCarthy subvert any ideas of good and evil in Blood Meridian?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1850s. How does McCarthy express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's society?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)