Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the doctor live?
2. With whom does the Judge turn up?
3. What does the little boy offer to sell the Judge?
4. How many men does the Glanton gang lose in the fight?
5. Where is the man brutally murdered?
Essay Topic 1
Look at the racism portrayed in Blood Meridian. Do you think it stops just at the African American or are people like the Kid wronged against? Is the Glanton gang's battles against the Indians and the Mexicans racially motivated? Why do you think the Glanton gang accepts Black Johnson even going so far as telling the proprietor he had the right to be served? Was racism mostly restricted to the middle and upper classes in the 19th century? If so, why was this the case?
Essay Topic 2
The novel is set mostly in Texas.
1) What meaning does Texas bring to the novel? What would you automatically presume about a novel that was set in Texas?
2) How different do you think today's Texas is to the Texas in the novel? How do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's Texas?
3) How do you think the Texas settings of the novel contribute to the novel's violent tone?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1850s. How does McCarthy express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's society?
This section contains 281 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)