|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the man brutally murdered?
2. Which of the characters scalps the dead?
3. What does the man do to Elrod?
4. Who do Toadvine and the Kid meet at Alamo Mucho?
5. What city does the Kid move to next?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Kid survive the snow and the soldiers' onslaught?
2. Describe how the man dies.
3. Describe the argument between the proprietor and Jackson in the diner.
4. What does the Kid do after he recovers from his wound?
5. The gang tries to convince the doctor of what?
6. What does the Judge say to Tobin and the Kid?
7. How does the gang get to the town of Jesus Maria?
8. How does the gang celebrate its victory?
9. How does the book end?
10. Describe the fight between the locals and the gang.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does McCarthy use character and dialogue to drive the narrative.
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Away from the main character, examine the way McCarthy uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
Pick a character from the novel and discuss his goals and motives. Does he achieve his motives? Why? Does he share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do his goals clash with other characters? How do the characters' goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 3
McCarthy has lived in Texas and Mexico, adhering to the rule that writers should always write about what they know. Do you think it is obvious that McCarthy knows his subject? What difference do you think it makes to the story? Are there any moments where you think McCarthy does not portray a character or setting so well?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)