|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many days later do the Indians attack?
2. For what does the man search?
3. Where are Tobin and the Kid able to refresh themselves?
4. What kind of philosophical discussion does the gang have?
5. What does the Judge do with the boy's puppies?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Toadvine and the Kid escape the Indians?
2. What happens to the boy's puppies?
3. How does Glanton decide who kills the injured men.
4. Describe how the man dies.
5. How does the book end?
6. What happens between Glanton and the Indians in Chapter 16?
7. What happens to the gang's Indian scouts?
8. The gang tries to convince the doctor of what?
9. In Chapter 21 how do the Kid and Tobin recover?
10. Describe the argument between the proprietor and Jackson in the diner.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the representation of Indians in the novel.
1) What Indian tribes are represented in the book. What are the histories of these tribes and in what way were they involved with the Mexican War.
2) Compare a historical account of an Indian tribe in the book with McCarthy's representations. Does he have a certain aim in mind for presenting the Indians as he or does he just want to represent it how it really was?
Essay Topic 2
Examine how much the Kid's upbringing was responsible for the person he became? What did he learn from his parents that made him into the person he became? How much did his father's blaming him for his mother's death affect him? Did it make him become a cold person? Would things have been any different if had met less violent people on his travels?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1850s. How does McCarthy express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's society?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)