|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the doctor headed before he takes over the ferry?
2. Where does the doctor live?
3. What is the name of the feast?
4. With whom does the man spend a few minutes?
5. Which of the boys becomes disrespectful?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Judge say to Tobin and the Kid?
2. How does the Kid survive the snow and the soldiers' onslaught?
3. What does the Kid do after he recovers from his wound?
4. Describe the fight between the locals and the gang.
5. What do the women do with the boy in the cage?
6. On what do the Judge and the gang leaders agree?
7. Summarize the novel.
8. What happens to the gang's Indian scouts?
9. Describe how the man dies.
10. How does the gang celebrate its victory?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss McCarthy's life. In what way do you think his life and personality is reflected in the book? Note how his feelings about religion and philosophy enter his work.
Essay Topic 2
The novel is set mostly in Texas.
1) What meaning does Texas bring to the novel? What would you automatically presume about a novel that was set in Texas?
2) How different do you think today's Texas is to the Texas in the novel? How do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's Texas?
3) How do you think the Texas settings of the novel contribute to the novel's violent tone?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss whether you think this statement is true or false: "The violence in Blood Meridian is often unnecessary and serves little purpose." Use two examples from the novel to support your argument.
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)