|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character does the Judge say has lost his mind?
2. Who do Toadvine and the Kid meet at Alamo Mucho?
3. What charges the men?
4. Tobin and the Kid travel to ___________.
5. What time does Glanton come back from the Indian camp?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 21 how do the Kid and Tobin recover?
2. What does the Kid do after he recovers from his wound?
3. How do Glanton and his gang use the ferry?
4. How does Glanton decide who kills the injured men.
5. What happens to the gang's Indian scouts?
6. Summarize the novel.
7. How does the gang celebrate its victory?
8. The gang tries to convince the doctor of what?
9. How do Toadvine and the Kid escape the Indians?
10. Who wants to join the gang in Chapter 17?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What comparisons can be drawn between Samuel Chamberlain's My Confession and Blood Meridian? Which is the more accurate account and why? Why does McCarty uses Chamberlain's novel as a reference point?
Essay Topic 2
Blood Meridian is part of the Western genre.
1) What are the conventions of the Western genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way has Blood Meridian helped to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas used in Blood Meridian?
Essay Topic 3
Blood Meridian is written in the third person.
1) Why do you think McCarthy chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would have changed if it were written in the first person?
2)Choose a character from the novel and discuss how the story would be different if he were the narrator?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)