|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the diner owner not serve?
2. Who is in command of the legion of soldiers?
3. What does the man do to Elrod?
4. Which of the following characters goes to the Indian camp with Glanton?
5. How many men does the Glanton gang lose in the fight?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Kid survive the snow and the soldiers' onslaught?
2. How does the book end?
3. How does Glanton decide who kills the injured men.
4. What does the Judge say to Tobin and the Kid?
5. Describe the fight between the locals and the gang.
6. Describe the confrontation between the Kid and the Judge in Chapter 22.
7. What does the Kid do after he recovers from his wound?
8. Summarize the novel.
9. How do Toadvine and the Kid escape the Indians?
10. In what way does Chapter 20 show a theme of evil?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does McCarthy use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss whether you think this statement is true or false: "The violence in Blood Meridian is often unnecessary and serves little purpose." Use two examples from the novel to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does McCarthy's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)