|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many days later do the Indians attack?
2. What is the name of the feast?
3. What part of the body does the arrow hit the Kid?
4. Who leads the Sonoran cavalry?
5. Who does the Kid dream about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the man dies.
2. What happens to the gang's Indian scouts?
3. What happens between Glanton and the Indians in Chapter 16?
4. Describe how Elrod gets killed.
5. Describe the confrontation between the Kid and the Judge in Chapter 22.
6. What does the Judge say to Tobin and the Kid?
7. The gang tries to convince the doctor of what?
8. What does the Kid do after he recovers from his wound?
9. In what way does Chapter 20 show a theme of evil?
10. How does Glanton decide who kills the injured men.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss whether you think this statement is true or false: "The violence in Blood Meridian is often unnecessary and serves little purpose." Use two examples from the novel to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
The main themes in the novel are violence, good and evil, and religion. Take one of these themes and discuss how mcCarthy expresses them in the book? Why do you think these themes were important concerns in 1850s America?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the racism portrayed in Blood Meridian. Do you think it stops just at the African American or are people like the Kid wronged against? Is the Glanton gang's battles against the Indians and the Mexicans racially motivated? Why do you think the Glanton gang accepts Black Johnson even going so far as telling the proprietor he had the right to be served? Was racism mostly restricted to the middle and upper classes in the 19th century? If so, why was this the case?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)