|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What flag does Glanton tie to the Mule's tail?
2. Who does the freak show owner use as the main attraction?
3. Who meets the gang at the city gate?
4. What part of the body does the arrow hit the Kid?
5. What does Glanton's horse bite?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the confrontation between the Kid and the Judge in Chapter 22.
2. How do Toadvine and the Kid escape the Indians?
3. Who wants to join the gang in Chapter 17?
4. How do Glanton and his gang use the ferry?
5. Describe how Elrod gets killed.
6. What does the Kid do after he recovers from his wound?
7. What happens to the boy's puppies?
8. How does Glanton decide who kills the injured men.
9. What happens to the gang's Indian scouts?
10. What happens between Glanton and the Indians in Chapter 16?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's violence.
1) Is the violence accurate to how it really was?
2) How did such an environment affect characters like the Kid? Did they become immune to the violence? How would someone like the Kid cope when he is back in normal society having seen so much death?
3) Does McCarthy representation of violence have a point to make about contemporary society?
Essay Topic 2
Pick a character from the novel and discuss his goals and motives. Does he achieve his motives? Why? Does he share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do his goals clash with other characters? How do the characters' goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss whether you think this statement is true or false: "The violence in Blood Meridian is often unnecessary and serves little purpose." Use two examples from the novel to support your argument.
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)