|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is is the man traveling through?
2. Who does the Kid have to kill?
3. Which character decides to stay with the Judge?
4. With whom does the man spend a few minutes?
5. Tobin and the Kid travel to ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who wants to join the gang in Chapter 17?
2. On what do the Judge and the gang leaders agree?
3. How does the Kid survive the snow and the soldiers' onslaught?
4. Summarize the novel.
5. In what way does Chapter 20 show a theme of evil?
6. Describe the confrontation between the Kid and the Judge in Chapter 22.
7. How does the gang get to the town of Jesus Maria?
8. What do the women do with the boy in the cage?
9. Describe how Elrod gets killed.
10. In Chapter 21 how do the Kid and Tobin recover?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick a character from the novel and discuss his goals and motives. Does he achieve his motives? Why? Does he share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do his goals clash with other characters? How do the characters' goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 2
Blood Meridian is written in the third person.
1) Why do you think McCarthy chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would have changed if it were written in the first person?
2)Choose a character from the novel and discuss how the story would be different if he were the narrator?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does McCarthy use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)