|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many men does the Glanton gang lose in the fight?
2. What is being prepared at the tavern?
3. Where is the doctor headed before he takes over the ferry?
4. What city does the Kid move to next?
5. What part of the body does the arrow hit the Kid?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the gang's Indian scouts?
2. How does Glanton decide who kills the injured men.
3. Describe how the man dies.
4. How do Toadvine and the Kid escape the Indians?
5. Describe how Elrod gets killed.
6. How does the gang get to the town of Jesus Maria?
7. How does the Kid survive the snow and the soldiers' onslaught?
8. Who wants to join the gang in Chapter 17?
9. What happens between Glanton and the Indians in Chapter 16?
10. Describe the confrontation between the Kid and the Judge in Chapter 22.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does McCarthy's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's violence.
1) Is the violence accurate to how it really was?
2) How did such an environment affect characters like the Kid? Did they become immune to the violence? How would someone like the Kid cope when he is back in normal society having seen so much death?
3) Does McCarthy representation of violence have a point to make about contemporary society?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1850s. How does McCarthy express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's society?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)