|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is in command of the legion of soldiers?
2. Which of the characters does not want to stop at the old mission?
3. What does the Kid go to the beach to do?
4. What kind of philosophical discussion does the gang have?
5. Which of the boys becomes disrespectful?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Elrod gets killed.
2. How do Glanton and his gang use the ferry?
3. Who wants to join the gang in Chapter 17?
4. What does the Kid do after he recovers from his wound?
5. In Chapter 21 how do the Kid and Tobin recover?
6. Summarize the novel.
7. How does the book end?
8. What happens between Glanton and the Indians in Chapter 16?
9. In what way does Chapter 20 show a theme of evil?
10. How does Glanton decide who kills the injured men.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick a character from the novel and discuss his goals and motives. Does he achieve his motives? Why? Does he share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do his goals clash with other characters? How do the characters' goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 2
Blood Meridian is part of the Western genre.
1) What are the conventions of the Western genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way has Blood Meridian helped to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas used in Blood Meridian?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does McCarthy use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)