|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does the man spend a few minutes?
2. To whom does the Judge compare warmongers?
3. What kills the man's horse?
4. Who saves the side show man's brother from drowning?
5. Who does the Kid dream about?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the book end?
2. Describe the confrontation between the Kid and the Judge in Chapter 22.
3. How do Toadvine and the Kid escape the Indians?
4. Describe how Elrod gets killed.
5. What does the Judge say to Tobin and the Kid?
6. On what do the Judge and the gang leaders agree?
7. What happens between Glanton and the Indians in Chapter 16?
8. Describe how the man dies.
9. What happens to the boy's puppies?
10. Who wants to join the gang in Chapter 17?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Blood Meridian is part of the Western genre.
1) What are the conventions of the Western genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way has Blood Meridian helped to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas used in Blood Meridian?
Essay Topic 2
McCarthy has lived in Texas and Mexico, adhering to the rule that writers should always write about what they know. Do you think it is obvious that McCarthy knows his subject? What difference do you think it makes to the story? Are there any moments where you think McCarthy does not portray a character or setting so well?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the characters of the Kid and Judge Holden.
1) In what way are their morals different?
2) What is their relationship to each other?
3) Why is it significant that the Judge kills the Kid at the end?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)