|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What flag does Glanton tie to the Mule's tail?
2. Which of the boys becomes disrespectful?
3. Who does the diner owner not serve?
4. Where are Tobin and the Kid able to refresh themselves?
5. Who meets the gang at the city gate?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Kid survive the snow and the soldiers' onslaught?
2. What do the women do with the boy in the cage?
3. The gang tries to convince the doctor of what?
4. What happens to the boy's puppies?
5. Describe the argument between the proprietor and Jackson in the diner.
6. How does the gang get to the town of Jesus Maria?
7. Describe the confrontation between the Kid and the Judge in Chapter 22.
8. What happens between Glanton and the Indians in Chapter 16?
9. Summarize the novel.
10. How does Glanton decide who kills the injured men.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick a character from the novel and discuss his goals and motives. Does he achieve his motives? Why? Does he share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do his goals clash with other characters? How do the characters' goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does McCarthy's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
Essay Topic 3
Look at the racism portrayed in Blood Meridian. Do you think it stops just at the African American or are people like the Kid wronged against? Is the Glanton gang's battles against the Indians and the Mexicans racially motivated? Why do you think the Glanton gang accepts Black Johnson even going so far as telling the proprietor he had the right to be served? Was racism mostly restricted to the middle and upper classes in the 19th century? If so, why was this the case?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)