|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the diner owner not serve?
2. Who does the gang see crucified in the desert?
3. Which character does the Judge say has lost his mind?
4. Who does the Kid have to kill?
5. Which of the following characters goes to the Indian camp with Glanton?
Short Essay Questions
1. On what do the Judge and the gang leaders agree?
2. Describe the fight between the locals and the gang.
3. What happens between Glanton and the Indians in Chapter 16?
4. Describe how Elrod gets killed.
5. In what way does Chapter 20 show a theme of evil?
6. How does the gang celebrate its victory?
7. What happens to the gang's Indian scouts?
8. How does the gang get to the town of Jesus Maria?
9. Describe the confrontation between the Kid and the Judge in Chapter 22.
10. How do Toadvine and the Kid escape the Indians?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Blood Meridian is part of the Western genre.
1) What are the conventions of the Western genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way has Blood Meridian helped to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas used in Blood Meridian?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss McCarthy's life. In what way do you think his life and personality is reflected in the book? Note how his feelings about religion and philosophy enter his work.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's violence.
1) Is the violence accurate to how it really was?
2) How did such an environment affect characters like the Kid? Did they become immune to the violence? How would someone like the Kid cope when he is back in normal society having seen so much death?
3) Does McCarthy representation of violence have a point to make about contemporary society?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)