|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does the man search?
2. When does Brown say the Indians do not ride?
3. What does Tobin tell the Kid he needs to kill?
4. Where does the doctor live?
5. What city does the Kid move to next?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Glanton decide who kills the injured men.
2. What happens to the boy's puppies?
3. What happens to the gang's Indian scouts?
4. What do the women do with the boy in the cage?
5. On what do the Judge and the gang leaders agree?
6. What does the Judge say to Tobin and the Kid?
7. Describe how Elrod gets killed.
8. Describe the fight between the locals and the gang.
9. Describe the argument between the proprietor and Jackson in the diner.
10. How does the book end?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss whether you think this statement is true or false: "The violence in Blood Meridian is often unnecessary and serves little purpose." Use two examples from the novel to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the impact of good and evil within our culture. Have representations of good and evil had a negative impact on society? Does the division of good and evil make things seem simpler than what they are? Does McCarthy subvert any ideas of good and evil in Blood Meridian?
Essay Topic 3
McCarthy has lived in Texas and Mexico, adhering to the rule that writers should always write about what they know. Do you think it is obvious that McCarthy knows his subject? What difference do you think it makes to the story? Are there any moments where you think McCarthy does not portray a character or setting so well?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)