|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of philosophical discussion does the gang have?
2. For what does the man search?
3. How many men does the Glanton gang lose in the fight?
4. Where does the gang find its scouts mutilated?
5. How many days later do the Indians attack?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the gang celebrate its victory?
2. In Chapter 21 how do the Kid and Tobin recover?
3. What does the Judge say to Tobin and the Kid?
4. How do Toadvine and the Kid escape the Indians?
5. What do the women do with the boy in the cage?
6. Describe how the man dies.
7. Describe how Elrod gets killed.
8. What happens to the boy's puppies?
9. What does the Kid do after he recovers from his wound?
10. Describe the confrontation between the Kid and the Judge in Chapter 22.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the representation of Indians in the novel.
1) What Indian tribes are represented in the book. What are the histories of these tribes and in what way were they involved with the Mexican War.
2) Compare a historical account of an Indian tribe in the book with McCarthy's representations. Does he have a certain aim in mind for presenting the Indians as he or does he just want to represent it how it really was?
Essay Topic 2
Pick a character from the novel and discuss his goals and motives. Does he achieve his motives? Why? Does he share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do his goals clash with other characters? How do the characters' goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss whether you think this statement is true or false: "The violence in Blood Meridian is often unnecessary and serves little purpose." Use two examples from the novel to support your argument.
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)