|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which two characters are lost in the desert?
2. What time does Glanton come back from the Indian camp?
3. Of whom is the lieutenant afraid?
4. Glanton and the Judge convince the doctor he is in danger of ___________.
5. Who do Toadvine and the Kid meet at Alamo Mucho?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss whether you think this statement is true or false: "The violence in Blood Meridian is often unnecessary and serves little purpose." Use two examples from the novel to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Compare the characters of the Kid and Judge Holden.
1) In what way are their morals different?
2) What is their relationship to each other?
3) Why is it significant that the Judge kills the Kid at the end?
Essay Topic 3
Examine how much the Kid's upbringing was responsible for the person he became? What did he learn from his parents that made him into the person he became? How much did his father's blaming him for his mother's death affect him? Did it make him become a cold person? Would things have been any different if had met less violent people on his travels?
This section contains 1,157 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)