Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the doctor live?
2. With whom does the Judge turn up?
3. What does the little boy offer to sell the Judge?
4. How many men does the Glanton gang lose in the fight?
5. Where is the man brutally murdered?
Essay Topic 1
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does McCarthy use character and dialogue to drive the narrative.
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Away from the main character, examine the way McCarthy uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
The main themes in the novel are violence, good and evil, and religion. Take one of these themes and discuss how mcCarthy expresses them in the book? Why do you think these themes were important concerns in 1850s America?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does McCarthy's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
This section contains 226 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)