|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The man knows they are looking for __________.
2. What do the bones mean to the company?
3. What is Toadvine missing?
4. What do the gang have a contract to do?
5. When does the Kid leave the Hermit's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Kid get the whiskey?
2. What does the bald man say is wrong with the preacher?
3. How does the Kid find his donkey again?
4. Describe the Kid's time with the Hermit.
5. Why does the Captain want to fight the Mexicans?
6. How does the kid get robbed?
7. What is the business of the Glanton gang?
8. Why does the Kid join the army?
9. What does the company find at the hut?
10. Who is in the old presido?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What comparisons can be drawn between Samuel Chamberlain's My Confession and Blood Meridian? Which is the more accurate account and why? Why does McCarty uses Chamberlain's novel as a reference point?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's violence.
1) Is the violence accurate to how it really was?
2) How did such an environment affect characters like the Kid? Did they become immune to the violence? How would someone like the Kid cope when he is back in normal society having seen so much death?
3) Does McCarthy representation of violence have a point to make about contemporary society?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the impact of good and evil within our culture. Have representations of good and evil had a negative impact on society? Does the division of good and evil make things seem simpler than what they are? Does McCarthy subvert any ideas of good and evil in Blood Meridian?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)