|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In how many states is the priest wanted?
2. What does the company find in the hut?
3. What do the gang have a contract to do?
4. What is the name of the main character?
5. In whose company does the sergeant serve?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the cattlemen help out the Kid?
2. Describe the gang's journey toward Texas.
3. How does the kid get robbed?
4. Describe the fight between the Indians and the gang.
5. How does Toadvine persuade Glanton to let him, the Kid and the Kentuckian soldier to join?
6. Why does the Captain want to fight the Mexicans?
7. What does the bald man say is wrong with the preacher?
8. What do the Kid and Sproule find in the carreta?
9. What is the business of the Glanton gang?
10. Describe The Kid's, Bathcat's and Toadvine's time in the cantina.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does McCarthy's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
Essay Topic 2
Pick a character from the novel and discuss his goals and motives. Does he achieve his motives? Why? Does he share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do his goals clash with other characters? How do the characters' goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1850s. How does McCarthy express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's society?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)