|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many days later do the three men ride out with the Glanton gang?
2. When does the Kid talk to people when he is on the road?
3. What do the recruits do with the money they get in sales?
4. What rank is the soldier?
5. How many men die within ten days?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Kid join the army?
2. Describe how the soldiers walk into the Indian attack.
3. What does the Judge do with the dead Indian?
4. Describe the landscape in this chapter.
5. How do the cattlemen help out the Kid?
6. Describe the fight between the two Johnsons.
7. What does the sergeant want from the Kid?
8. What problems does the company face from the very beginning?
9. What is the business of the Glanton gang?
10. Where is the Kid taken when he is arrested?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Blood Meridian is part of the Western genre.
1) What are the conventions of the Western genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way has Blood Meridian helped to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas used in Blood Meridian?
Essay Topic 2
Blood Meridian is a popular book which has greatly influenced modern literature. Choose a book written after Blood Meridian that you think was influenced by the novel and discuss their similarities in terms of:
Essay Topic 3
Discuss whether you think this statement is true or false: "The violence in Blood Meridian is often unnecessary and serves little purpose." Use two examples from the novel to support your argument.
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)