|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who pays for the guns?
2. When does the Kid talk to people when he is on the road?
3. To whom does the Judge introduce the soldier?
4. From what state is the soldier that befriends the Kid and Toadvine?
5. For whom is the Kentucky soldier looking?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the fight with the bear.
2. What does the bald man say is wrong with the preacher?
3. How does Toadvine persuade Glanton to let him, the Kid and the Kentuckian soldier to join?
4. How does the Kid find his donkey again?
5. How does the Judge sort out the problem between the soldiers and Glanton when paying for the guns?
6. Why does the Kid join the army?
7. Who is in the old presido?
8. Describe the fight between the two Johnsons.
9. How does the Kid get to Nacogdoches?
10. Where is the Kid taken when he is arrested?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick a character from the novel and discuss his goals and motives. Does he achieve his motives? Why? Does he share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do his goals clash with other characters? How do the characters' goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the characters of the Kid and Judge Holden.
1) In what way are their morals different?
2) What is their relationship to each other?
3) Why is it significant that the Judge kills the Kid at the end?
Essay Topic 3
The novel is set mostly in Texas.
1) What meaning does Texas bring to the novel? What would you automatically presume about a novel that was set in Texas?
2) How different do you think today's Texas is to the Texas in the novel? How do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's Texas?
3) How do you think the Texas settings of the novel contribute to the novel's violent tone?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)