|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Sproule and the Kid find at the rim rock?
2. What is Sproule attacked by in the night?
3. What does Toadvine tell Glanton so they can join the gang?
4. What does the gang come across in the morning?
5. Who does the Kid meet with to discuss working for him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Captain want to fight the Mexicans?
2. Describe how the soldiers walk into the Indian attack.
3. The gang tries to convince the doctor of what?
4. What problems does the company face from the very beginning?
5. What bad luck does the Kid have at the end of the chapter?
6. Why does Tobin admire the Judge?
7. How does the gang get to the town of Jesus Maria?
8. What do the prisoners see when they are let out of their cells?
9. What does the Judge say to Tobin and the Kid?
10. Describe The Kid's, Bathcat's and Toadvine's time in the cantina.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The main themes in the novel are violence, good and evil, and religion. Take one of these themes and discuss how mcCarthy expresses them in the book? Why do you think these themes were important concerns in 1850s America?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's violence.
1) Is the violence accurate to how it really was?
2) How did such an environment affect characters like the Kid? Did they become immune to the violence? How would someone like the Kid cope when he is back in normal society having seen so much death?
3) Does McCarthy representation of violence have a point to make about contemporary society?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does McCarthy's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
This section contains 1,813 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)