|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the man with no hair say the priest is?
2. What does the gang find in the carriage?
3. How long does the fire last?
4. With what does the barman threaten the Kid?
5. Where does the company store the antelope meat?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Kentuckian soldier.
2. What is the business of the Glanton gang?
3. How does the Kid get the whiskey?
4. Describe the gang's journey toward Texas.
5. Describe The Kid's, Bathcat's and Toadvine's time in the cantina.
6. What do the Kid and Sproule find in the carreta?
7. Describe the Kid's early life.
8. What horrors do Sproule and the Kid see on their walk?
9. Describe the fight between the two Johnsons.
10. What do the prisoners see when they are let out of their cells?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the representation of Indians in the novel.
1) What Indian tribes are represented in the book. What are the histories of these tribes and in what way were they involved with the Mexican War.
2) Compare a historical account of an Indian tribe in the book with McCarthy's representations. Does he have a certain aim in mind for presenting the Indians as he or does he just want to represent it how it really was?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss whether you think this statement is true or false: "The violence in Blood Meridian is often unnecessary and serves little purpose." Use two examples from the novel to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
What comparisons can be drawn between Samuel Chamberlain's My Confession and Blood Meridian? Which is the more accurate account and why? Why does McCarty uses Chamberlain's novel as a reference point?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)