|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Kid and Sproule see dead on the track?
2. What would people give the prisoners?
3. What language can the Judge speak?
4. For what does the gang receive money?
5. Who appears on the lake bed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the gang's journey toward Texas.
2. Describe The Kid's, Bathcat's and Toadvine's time in the cantina.
3. What do the prisoners see when they are let out of their cells?
4. Describe how the soldiers walk into the Indian attack.
5. Why does the Kid join the army?
6. How does the Kid get to Nacogdoches?
7. Describe the fight between the Indians and the gang.
8. What does the company find at the hut?
9. Where is the Kid taken when he is arrested?
10. What does the Judge do with the dead Indian?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does McCarthy use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
The novel is set mostly in Texas.
1) What meaning does Texas bring to the novel? What would you automatically presume about a novel that was set in Texas?
2) How different do you think today's Texas is to the Texas in the novel? How do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's Texas?
3) How do you think the Texas settings of the novel contribute to the novel's violent tone?
Essay Topic 3
The main themes in the novel are violence, good and evil, and religion. Take one of these themes and discuss how mcCarthy expresses them in the book? Why do you think these themes were important concerns in 1850s America?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)