|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Judge Holden and his men ride?
2. What possession of the Kid's does the Sergeant sell?
3. What does Toadvine tell Glanton so they can join the gang?
4. With what has the tree been decorated?
5. What do the men receive in a shipment?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the fight between the two Johnsons.
2. Describe the Kid's time in town with the other recruits.
3. How did the Judge help the gang massacre the Indians?
4. How do the cattlemen help out the Kid?
5. How does the Kid get to Nacogdoches?
6. Describe The Kid's, Bathcat's and Toadvine's time in the cantina.
7. What does the Judge do with the dead Indian?
8. What problems does the company face from the very beginning?
9. What does the sergeant want from the Kid?
10. Describe the gang's time in Carralitos.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Blood Meridian is part of the Western genre.
1) What are the conventions of the Western genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way has Blood Meridian helped to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas used in Blood Meridian?
Essay Topic 2
Pick a character from the novel and discuss his goals and motives. Does he achieve his motives? Why? Does he share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do his goals clash with other characters? How do the characters' goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does McCarthy use character and dialogue to drive the narrative.
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Away from the main character, examine the way McCarthy uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 1,016 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)