|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To where is the boat bound?
2. What does the company find in the hut?
3. How many Indians does the gang kill in the initial attack?
4. What does the gang find in the carriage?
5. Who cares for the Kid's wounds?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the fight between the two Johnsons.
2. Why does Tobin admire the Judge?
3. What horrors do Sproule and the Kid see on their walk?
4. How does Toadvine persuade Glanton to let him, the Kid and the Kentuckian soldier to join?
5. Describe the fight with the bear.
6. What does the bald man say is wrong with the preacher?
7. Describe the gang's time in Carralitos.
8. Describe the Kid's time in town with the other recruits.
9. How does the Kid find his donkey again?
10. What does the Judge do with the dead Indian?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does McCarthy's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
Essay Topic 2
McCarthy has lived in Texas and Mexico, adhering to the rule that writers should always write about what they know. Do you think it is obvious that McCarthy knows his subject? What difference do you think it makes to the story? Are there any moments where you think McCarthy does not portray a character or setting so well?
Essay Topic 3
The novel is set mostly in Texas.
1) What meaning does Texas bring to the novel? What would you automatically presume about a novel that was set in Texas?
2) How different do you think today's Texas is to the Texas in the novel? How do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's Texas?
3) How do you think the Texas settings of the novel contribute to the novel's violent tone?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)