|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the company come across in the middle of nowhere?
2. What did the hermit used to be?
3. What does Captain White think is still not over?
4. From what did the Judge once save the gang?
5. Who appears on the lake bed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the landscape in this chapter.
2. Describe the Kid's time with the Hermit.
3. Describe The Kid's, Bathcat's and Toadvine's time in the cantina.
4. What horrors do Sproule and the Kid see on their walk?
5. Describe the Kentuckian soldier.
6. How do the cattlemen help out the Kid?
7. Why does the Judge walk around the ruins of the village?
8. How does the Judge sort out the problem between the soldiers and Glanton when paying for the guns?
9. Describe the gang's time in Carralitos.
10. How does the Kid find his donkey again?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Blood Meridian is written in the third person.
1) Why do you think McCarthy chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would have changed if it were written in the first person?
2)Choose a character from the novel and discuss how the story would be different if he were the narrator?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the impact of good and evil within our culture. Have representations of good and evil had a negative impact on society? Does the division of good and evil make things seem simpler than what they are? Does McCarthy subvert any ideas of good and evil in Blood Meridian?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the representation of Indians in the novel.
1) What Indian tribes are represented in the book. What are the histories of these tribes and in what way were they involved with the Mexican War.
2) Compare a historical account of an Indian tribe in the book with McCarthy's representations. Does he have a certain aim in mind for presenting the Indians as he or does he just want to represent it how it really was?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)