|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Kid's father use to bury his grief?
2. What kind of meat does the company have?
3. Where does the company store the antelope meat?
4. How many Indians does the gang kill in the initial attack?
5. From what state is the soldier that befriends the Kid and Toadvine?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Toadvine persuade Glanton to let him, the Kid and the Kentuckian soldier to join?
2. How does the Kid find his donkey again?
3. In Chapter 21 how do the Kid and Tobin recover?
4. How do Glanton and his gang use the ferry?
5. Describe the fight between the Indians and the gang.
6. What do the prisoners see when they are let out of their cells?
7. Who is in the old presido?
8. Where is the Kid taken when he is arrested?
9. How does the Judge sort out the problem between the soldiers and Glanton when paying for the guns?
10. What bad luck does the Kid have at the end of the chapter?
Essay Topic 1
Examine how much the Kid's upbringing was responsible for the person he became? What did he learn from his parents that made him into the person he became? How much did his father's blaming him for his mother's death affect him? Did it make him become a cold person? Would things have been any different if had met less violent people on his travels?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's violence.
1) Is the violence accurate to how it really was?
2) How did such an environment affect characters like the Kid? Did they become immune to the violence? How would someone like the Kid cope when he is back in normal society having seen so much death?
3) Does McCarthy representation of violence have a point to make about contemporary society?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the characters of the Kid and Judge Holden.
1) In what way are their morals different?
2) What is their relationship to each other?
3) Why is it significant that the Judge kills the Kid at the end?
This section contains 1,688 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)