Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what has the tree been decorated?
2. What is the name of the group of men?
3. How old is the Kid when he runs away?
4. What did the hermit used to be?
5. What is the name of the village where the gang heads next?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the man dies.
2. Describe the Kid's time with the Hermit.
3. Where is the Kid taken when he is arrested?
4. Describe the fight with the bear.
5. Describe the fight between the Indians and the gang.
6. How did the Judge help the gang massacre the Indians?
7. Describe how the soldiers walk into the Indian attack.
8. In what way does Chapter 20 show a theme of evil?
9. How does Glanton decide who kills the injured men.
10. How does the kid get robbed?
Essay Topic 1
McCarthy has lived in Texas and Mexico, adhering to the rule that writers should always write about what they know. Do you think it is obvious that McCarthy knows his subject? What difference do you think it makes to the story? Are there any moments where you think McCarthy does not portray a character or setting so well?
Essay Topic 2
What comparisons can be drawn between Samuel Chamberlain's My Confession and Blood Meridian? Which is the more accurate account and why? Why does McCarty uses Chamberlain's novel as a reference point?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the representation of Indians in the novel.
1) What Indian tribes are represented in the book. What are the histories of these tribes and in what way were they involved with the Mexican War.
2) Compare a historical account of an Indian tribe in the book with McCarthy's representations. Does he have a certain aim in mind for presenting the Indians as he or does he just want to represent it how it really was?
This section contains 1,804 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)