|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what does the barman threaten the Kid?
2. What does the Captain ask the Sergeant to buy the Kid?
3. Who does the Judge take away with him on his horse?
4. Who appears on the lake bed?
5. What does the company come across in the middle of nowhere?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Kid and Sproule find in the carreta?
2. How does the Judge sort out the problem between the soldiers and Glanton when paying for the guns?
3. Describe The Kid's, Bathcat's and Toadvine's time in the cantina.
4. Describe the fight with the bear.
5. How does the kid get robbed?
6. Describe the Kid's early life.
7. Why does the Captain want to fight the Mexicans?
8. What horrors do Sproule and the Kid see on their walk?
9. Describe the Kid's time with the Hermit.
10. How do the cattlemen help out the Kid?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss McCarthy's life. In what way do you think his life and personality is reflected in the book? Note how his feelings about religion and philosophy enter his work.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1850s. How does McCarthy express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
Examine how much the Kid's upbringing was responsible for the person he became? What did he learn from his parents that made him into the person he became? How much did his father's blaming him for his mother's death affect him? Did it make him become a cold person? Would things have been any different if had met less violent people on his travels?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)