|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the Kid go during a rain storm?
2. Whose voice does the Kid hear?
3. Who appears on the lake bed?
4. What does Toadvine tell Glanton so they can join the gang?
5. From what did the Judge once save the gang?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the fight with the bear.
2. How does the Kid get to Nacogdoches?
3. What problems does the company face from the very beginning?
4. Who is in the old presido?
5. Describe the fight between the two Johnsons.
6. How do the cattlemen help out the Kid?
7. Why does Tobin admire the Judge?
8. Describe the Kid's time in town with the other recruits.
9. What horrors do Sproule and the Kid see on their walk?
10. What does the bald man say is wrong with the preacher?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Blood Meridian is written in the third person.
1) Why do you think McCarthy chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would have changed if it were written in the first person?
2)Choose a character from the novel and discuss how the story would be different if he were the narrator?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the representation of Indians in the novel.
1) What Indian tribes are represented in the book. What are the histories of these tribes and in what way were they involved with the Mexican War.
2) Compare a historical account of an Indian tribe in the book with McCarthy's representations. Does he have a certain aim in mind for presenting the Indians as he or does he just want to represent it how it really was?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1850s. How does McCarthy express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's society?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)