|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of Sproule's body does the bat injure?
2. Which part of Sproule's body is badly injured?
3. What does the company find in the hut?
4. What do the recruits do with the money they get in sales?
5. For what does the gang receive money?
Short Essay Questions
1. What bad luck does the Kid have at the end of the chapter?
2. Why does the Kid join the army?
3. Describe the fight between the Indians and the gang.
4. What do the prisoners see when they are let out of their cells?
5. How does the Kid get to Nacogdoches?
6. Describe how the soldiers walk into the Indian attack.
7. Why does the Judge walk around the ruins of the village?
8. Where is the Kid taken when he is arrested?
9. Describe the gang's journey toward Texas.
10. Describe the Kid's time with the Hermit.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does McCarthy's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
Essay Topic 2
The novel is set mostly in Texas.
1) What meaning does Texas bring to the novel? What would you automatically presume about a novel that was set in Texas?
2) How different do you think today's Texas is to the Texas in the novel? How do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's Texas?
3) How do you think the Texas settings of the novel contribute to the novel's violent tone?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does McCarthy use character and dialogue to drive the narrative.
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Away from the main character, examine the way McCarthy uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)