Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what has the tree been decorated?
2. What is the name of the group of men?
3. How old is the Kid when he runs away?
4. What did the hermit used to be?
5. What is the name of the village where the gang heads next?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the man dies.
2. Describe the Kid's time with the Hermit.
3. Where is the Kid taken when he is arrested?
4. Describe the fight with the bear.
5. Describe the fight between the Indians and the gang.
6. How did the Judge help the gang massacre the Indians?
7. Describe how the soldiers walk into the Indian attack.
8. In what way does Chapter 20 show a theme of evil?
9. How does Glanton decide who kills the injured men.
10. How does the kid get robbed?
Essay Topic 1
Look at the racism portrayed in Blood Meridian. Do you think it stops just at the African American or are people like the Kid wronged against? Is the Glanton gang's battles against the Indians and the Mexicans racially motivated? Why do you think the Glanton gang accepts Black Johnson even going so far as telling the proprietor he had the right to be served? Was racism mostly restricted to the middle and upper classes in the 19th century? If so, why was this the case?
Essay Topic 2
Examine how much the Kid's upbringing was responsible for the person he became? What did he learn from his parents that made him into the person he became? How much did his father's blaming him for his mother's death affect him? Did it make him become a cold person? Would things have been any different if had met less violent people on his travels?
Essay Topic 3
Blood Meridian is written in the third person.
1) Why do you think McCarthy chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would have changed if it were written in the first person?
2)Choose a character from the novel and discuss how the story would be different if he were the narrator?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)