|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many wagons are burning in the desert floor?
2. Who do the characters wager will kill each other?
3. From what did the Judge once save the gang?
4. Where is the next place the Kid arrives?
5. How long does the fire last?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the prisoners see when they are let out of their cells?
2. Describe The Kid's, Bathcat's and Toadvine's time in the cantina.
3. How do Toadvine and the Kid escape the Indians?
4. How does the Kid find his donkey again?
5. Describe the gang's journey toward Texas.
6. Describe the confrontation between the Kid and the Judge in Chapter 22.
7. Describe the fight between the two Johnsons.
8. What do the Kid and Sproule find in the carreta?
9. How did the Judge help the gang massacre the Indians?
10. Describe the gang's time in Carralitos.
Essay Topic 1
The main themes in the novel are violence, good and evil, and religion. Take one of these themes and discuss how mcCarthy expresses them in the book? Why do you think these themes were important concerns in 1850s America?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does McCarthy use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
Blood Meridian is written in the third person.
1) Why do you think McCarthy chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would have changed if it were written in the first person?
2)Choose a character from the novel and discuss how the story would be different if he were the narrator?
This section contains 1,855 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)