|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What language did the Judge use to call down to the Indians?
2. When does the Kid talk to people when he is on the road?
3. What does the gang ride through to get into the mountains?
4. What is Sproule attacked by in the night?
5. What does the company come across in the middle of nowhere?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the soldiers walk into the Indian attack.
2. How does the Kid get the whiskey?
3. Describe the Kid's time with the Hermit.
4. Describe the gang's time in Carralitos.
5. How does the kid get robbed?
6. What does the sergeant want from the Kid?
7. Describe the fight between the two Johnsons.
8. Why does the Captain want to fight the Mexicans?
9. How do the cattlemen help out the Kid?
10. What does the company find at the hut?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
McCarthy has lived in Texas and Mexico, adhering to the rule that writers should always write about what they know. Do you think it is obvious that McCarthy knows his subject? What difference do you think it makes to the story? Are there any moments where you think McCarthy does not portray a character or setting so well?
Essay Topic 2
Examine how much the Kid's upbringing was responsible for the person he became? What did he learn from his parents that made him into the person he became? How much did his father's blaming him for his mother's death affect him? Did it make him become a cold person? Would things have been any different if had met less violent people on his travels?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss whether you think this statement is true or false: "The violence in Blood Meridian is often unnecessary and serves little purpose." Use two examples from the novel to support your argument.
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)