|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose voice does the Kid hear?
2. For what does the gang receive money?
3. What were the men inside the presido trying to find?
4. To where is the boat bound?
5. The man knows they are looking for __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the sergeant want from the Kid?
2. Describe the Kid's early life.
3. Describe the fight with the bear.
4. Who is in the old presido?
5. How do the cattlemen help out the Kid?
6. How does the Judge sort out the problem between the soldiers and Glanton when paying for the guns?
7. Why does the Captain want to fight the Mexicans?
8. How does the Kid get the whiskey?
9. What horrors do Sproule and the Kid see on their walk?
10. Describe the fight between the two Johnsons.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the characters of the Kid and Judge Holden.
1) In what way are their morals different?
2) What is their relationship to each other?
3) Why is it significant that the Judge kills the Kid at the end?
Essay Topic 2
McCarthy has lived in Texas and Mexico, adhering to the rule that writers should always write about what they know. Do you think it is obvious that McCarthy knows his subject? What difference do you think it makes to the story? Are there any moments where you think McCarthy does not portray a character or setting so well?
Essay Topic 3
Pick a character from the novel and discuss his goals and motives. Does he achieve his motives? Why? Does he share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do his goals clash with other characters? How do the characters' goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)