|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what has the tree been decorated?
2. What is the name of the group of men?
3. How old is the Kid when he runs away?
4. What did the hermit used to be?
5. What is the name of the village where the gang heads next?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the man dies.
2. Describe the Kid's time with the Hermit.
3. Where is the Kid taken when he is arrested?
4. Describe the fight with the bear.
5. Describe the fight between the Indians and the gang.
6. How did the Judge help the gang massacre the Indians?
7. Describe how the soldiers walk into the Indian attack.
8. In what way does Chapter 20 show a theme of evil?
9. How does Glanton decide who kills the injured men.
10. How does the kid get robbed?
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1850s. How does McCarthy express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
The novel is set mostly in Texas.
1) What meaning does Texas bring to the novel? What would you automatically presume about a novel that was set in Texas?
2) How different do you think today's Texas is to the Texas in the novel? How do you think the novel's meaning would change if it were set in today's Texas?
3) How do you think the Texas settings of the novel contribute to the novel's violent tone?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does McCarthy use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 1,804 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)