|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the hermit used to be?
2. What were the men inside the presido trying to find?
3. Who is the man's father?
4. Where is the Kid born?
5. What time of day does the company start traveling?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the sergeant want from the Kid?
2. Describe The Kid's, Bathcat's and Toadvine's time in the cantina.
3. What bad luck does the Kid have at the end of the chapter?
4. Describe how the man dies.
5. How does Glanton decide who kills the injured men.
6. Where is the Kid taken when he is arrested?
7. Describe the fight between the Indians and the gang.
8. Describe how the soldiers walk into the Indian attack.
9. How does the gang get to the town of Jesus Maria?
10. Describe the fight with the bear.
Essay Topic 1
The main themes in the novel are violence, good and evil, and religion. Take one of these themes and discuss how mcCarthy expresses them in the book? Why do you think these themes were important concerns in 1850s America?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's violence.
1) Is the violence accurate to how it really was?
2) How did such an environment affect characters like the Kid? Did they become immune to the violence? How would someone like the Kid cope when he is back in normal society having seen so much death?
3) Does McCarthy representation of violence have a point to make about contemporary society?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the characters of the Kid and Judge Holden.
1) In what way are their morals different?
2) What is their relationship to each other?
3) Why is it significant that the Judge kills the Kid at the end?
This section contains 1,763 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)