|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which part of Sproule's body is badly injured?
2. Into what did the Judge turn the dirt?
3. Why does the company travel at night?
4. What rank is the soldier?
5. What possession of the Kid's does the Sergeant sell?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the fight between the two Johnsons.
2. How does the Kid find his donkey again?
3. Describe the Kid's time with the Hermit.
4. Why does the Kid join the army?
5. What do the prisoners see when they are let out of their cells?
6. What does the sergeant want from the Kid?
7. How does the Kid get to Nacogdoches?
8. Why does the Captain want to fight the Mexicans?
9. How do the cattlemen help out the Kid?
10. Who is in the old presido?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does McCarthy use character and dialogue to drive the narrative.
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Away from the main character, examine the way McCarthy uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does McCarthy's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does McCarthy use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)