|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the answer when the man asks where they are from?
2. In what part of the body is the Kid shot?
3. What do the gang have a contract to do?
4. What is inside the carretta?
5. Who do the characters wager will kill each other?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the landscape in this chapter.
2. Describe the Kid's early life.
3. Describe the gang's journey toward Texas.
4. What horrors do Sproule and the Kid see on their walk?
5. How did the Judge help the gang massacre the Indians?
6. What do the prisoners see when they are let out of their cells?
7. How does the Kid find his donkey again?
8. Why does Tobin admire the Judge?
9. What does the company find at the hut?
10. How does the Kid get the whiskey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does McCarthy use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss McCarthy's life. In what way do you think his life and personality is reflected in the book? Note how his feelings about religion and philosophy enter his work.
Essay Topic 3
Look at the racism portrayed in Blood Meridian. Do you think it stops just at the African American or are people like the Kid wronged against? Is the Glanton gang's battles against the Indians and the Mexicans racially motivated? Why do you think the Glanton gang accepts Black Johnson even going so far as telling the proprietor he had the right to be served? Was racism mostly restricted to the middle and upper classes in the 19th century? If so, why was this the case?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)