|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Elias wonder as he empathizes with the Jews and their treatment by the Third Reich?
(a) Why the good, average Germans allowed it to happen.
(b) How the Jews who went so meekly to their deaths could be the same ethnic group as the Zionists that murder hundreds.
(c) Why the Jews did not rise up in mass and fight.
(d) Why, when they had been so persecuted, they would choose to exhibit the same behaviors toward others in Israel.
2. What do the Christians in Biram believe about the Jews?
(a) They are the crucifiers of Jesus.
(b) They have their own ways and have no connection to the Chrisitans.
(c) They are heretics.
(d) Their lives are bound up with the Jewish people.
3. What does Faraj say is the problem with Western theology?
(a) The idea of man being the center of all things.
(b) That it is exclusive.
(c) The idea that man is equal to God.
(d) The belief that God is impersonal.
4. What happens when the British withdraw from an area?
(a) The land is vacant and anyone can make a claim.
(b) Zionist set up a ruling counsel of Jews, Christians and Muslims.
(c) Zionist push all non-Jewish Palestinians out.
(d) The Arabs push all Jewish Palestinians out.
5. What does the United Nations do in the conflict?
(a) Divide the land fairly with fertile land to each major group.
(b) Give the Zionist eighty percent of all the land.
(c) Divide the land giving the fertile land to the Zionist.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Elias and his friend Faraj decide to go?
2. What does Michael realize about Elias?
3. Where had the men been taken?
4. Where does Elias go after his initial education?
5. When do the men who were taken by the Irgun return?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the new Jewish landowners find out about their land and what did they do about it?
2. What did Michael Chacour begin to realize about Elias and what did he do about it?
3. With what was Elias suspected of doing by Zionist soldiers and what was the final outcome of that accusation?
4. What did Elias begin to do after so many people were taken from the village of Gish? What did he believe about the situation?
5. Who are the Zionist soldiers battling in Palestine in the late 1940's and what is the result of those battles?
6. What would a current student of the Middle East find strange about Palestine in the late 1940's?
7. How did Elias feel about school and where else did he learn what he considered important?
8. What did Elias see in Jesus and how did he feel about Jesus? How did Elias see his interaction with Jesus?
9. What did the Bishop suggest for Elias?
10. Who was taken out of Gish from Elias's family and who was left?
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)