|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Elias feel about what happens?
(a) He experiences a rage that cannot be reconciled with the teachings of Jesus.
(b) He wants to come home.
(c) He is devastated at the loss of his parents.
(d) He rejoices in that his prayers have been answered.
2. What do the Christians who remain in Jerusalem continue to believe?
(a) That Jesus is a human with godlike qualities.
(b) That Jesus is a metaphor for how one should live.
(c) That God designated Jerusalem as the city of salvation.
(d) That Jesus is God.
3. What do the Zionist soldiers tell the people of Biram?
(a) That the villagers are in no danger.
(b) That the Irgun will soon be arriving.
(c) That the Zionist soldiers would soon leave.
(d) That the Irgun want to buy their land for a fair price.
4. What happens when the British withdraw from an area?
(a) The land is vacant and anyone can make a claim.
(b) Zionist set up a ruling counsel of Jews, Christians and Muslims.
(c) The Arabs push all Jewish Palestinians out.
(d) Zionist push all non-Jewish Palestinians out.
5. What is Elias's primary desire?
(a) To fight in the underground liberation group.
(b) For his parents to return to Biram and their former life of orchard care and serenity.
(c) To become a lawyer to fight the Zionist legally.
(d) To return to his home in Biram.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what is the purchase?
2. What New Testament passage still disturbs Michael?
3. What action supersedes other problems in the Middle East?
4. What is the general view of Palestinians by Europeans?
5. Who is David Ben Gurion?
Short Essay Questions
1. With what was Elias suspected of doing by Zionist soldiers and what was the final outcome of that accusation?
2. What did Elias begin to do after so many people were taken from the village of Gish? What did he believe about the situation?
3. What did Michael Chacour begin to realize about Elias and what did he do about it?
4. Who did Elias become friends with at the orphanage and what happened when the two of them finished their studies there?
5. What did a second Supreme Court rule about the town of Biram and what happened after that ruling?
6. What type of journal did Elias begin when he was at school? How long did this journal last?
7. How did Elias feel about school and where else did he learn what he considered important?
8. Who declared Israel an independent state in May 1948 and then what did he do? How did the world respond?
9. What would a current student of the Middle East find strange about Palestine in the late 1940's?
10. Who was taken out of Gish from Elias's family and who was left?
This section contains 1,029 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)