|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Elias regret?
(a) Not letting his family know how much he loves them.
(b) Not joining the fight to expel the Zionist from his village.
(c) He tries not to have regrets.
(d) Coming to Europe to experience a church that had become so meaningless.
2. What is the biggest reason Michael Chacour is willing to work for someone else in his own orchards?
(a) He wants to learn to forgive.
(b) He has nowhere else to go.
(c) He believes the Jewish owner honestly thought he was buying vacant land.
(d) He loves his trees.
3. What does Elias realize in church on his first day in Nazareth?
(a) He is not to become a lawyer.
(b) God really is not involved in human's squabbles.
(c) He is not to become a priest.
(d) He feels at home.
4. What story does Elias's father explain to his children?
(a) About the way the British obtained rule of the area.
(b) About the effects of the last large earthquake in the region.
(c) About the reason the people want the British to continue to rule their country.
(d) About Hitler and the Holocaust in Europe.
5. Where do Elias and his friend Faraj decide to go?
(a) To Biram.
(b) To England.
(c) To the United States.
(d) To Jerusalem.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the other seminarians feel about Palestine?
2. What soldiers would be coming to the village?
3. What do the residents of Palestine hope?
4. What does Elias wonder as he empathizes with the Jews and their treatment by the Third Reich?
5. What action supersedes other problems in the Middle East?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Michael Chacour begin to realize about Elias and what did he do about it?
2. What would a current student of the Middle East find strange about Palestine in the late 1940's?
3. What were the three important principles Elias learned from his father as stated in the section, Treasures of the Heart?
4. What did the Zionist soldiers tell the people in Elias's hometown and how did they respond?
5. What events of the 1960's colored Elias's view of the church and why?
6. What did Elias begin to do after so many people were taken from the village of Gish? What did he believe about the situation?
7. What type of journal did Elias begin when he was at school? How long did this journal last?
8. How did the Beatitudes appear to Elias and why?
9. With what was Elias suspected of doing by Zionist soldiers and what was the final outcome of that accusation?
10. How did Elias's teachers view him at the seminary and why?
This section contains 1,105 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)