|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Palestine when Elias returns home?
(b) It is still called Palestine, though there is a movement to rename it.
(c) Two different countries, which are Israel and Palestine.
(d) Three different countries, which are Israel, Palestine and Golan.
2. What are the secular Jews worried about as far as Zionism is concerned?
(a) That it would isolate Jews from the world and increase anti-Semitism.
(b) That it would become a terrorist organization.
(c) That it would make Judaism a culture rather than a religion.
(d) That it would commit as many wrongs as it rights.
3. With whom do the European Zionists enter in an alliance?
(a) Lord Balfour.
(b) Lord Nothrup.
(c) The Prime Minister of Britian.
(d) The Duke of Wellingham.
4. What percentage of non-Jewish communities existed in Palestine at the time of the Balfour Declaration of 1917?
5. What is Ibillin?
(a) The village to which Elais is assigned.
(b) The village where Elias's family now lives.
(c) The village closest to Biram.
(d) A town where much fighting is occurring.
6. What does Elias hold as he thinks of Sabra and Shatila?
(a) His dead mother's necklace.
(b) His dead friend's last letter.
(c) His dead sister's last letter.
(d) A dove to release.
7. What act by the Fedayeen worsens the situation terribly for Palestinians?
(a) Killing Jewish athletes in Munich.
(b) Setting off a bomb in a Jewish school and killing many children.
(c) Killing the Prime Minister.
(d) Declaring a state of war.
8. What event greatly increases support for the Zionist movement in Europe after WWII?
(a) Nothing; they were already strongly supportive.
(b) The holocaust.
(c) The legal actions of the British parliament.
(d) The bombing of a Jewish settlement by Palestinians.
9. What does Israel do in retaliation?
(a) Sends thousand of Palestinian refugees into Egypt.
(b) Executes any Egyptian citizens found in Jerusalem.
(c) Appeals to the United Nations.
(d) Bombs Egypt and other Arab nations's ports.
10. How does Elias feel about the situation with the Palestinians?
(d) Optimistic that the Jewish government will start being fair.
11. Upon what does Elias embark?
(a) A letter-writing campaign to the Bishop for reassignment.
(b) A letter-writing campaign to the Jewish authorities for protection.
(c) Fixing up the church building.
(d) Visiting every household in the village.
12. What are Elias's efforts in Ibillin not hugely successful?
(a) He is viewed with suspicion.
(b) He is too pushy.
(c) The villagers are fearful.
(d) He receives no support from his Bishop.
13. How do the Christians in Ibillin feel?
14. To what are the Palestinian youth turning?
(a) Education so they can hold their own against the Jews.
(c) Drugs, alcohol, and crime.
15. What seems to be the goal of both sides of the Palestinian conflict?
(c) Obliteration of one another.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are the native Palestinians treated?
2. What does the happenings at Sabra and Shatila tell Elias?
3. Who mourned together?
4. What does Elias ask of his congregation?
5. What is the Jewish state like in 1967?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)