|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is killed at Sabra and Shatila?
(a) Hundreds of refugees.
(b) Elias' mother.
(c) Elias' best friend.
(d) Elias' sister.
2. What is Ibillin?
(a) A town where much fighting is occurring.
(b) The village where Elias's family now lives.
(c) The village closest to Biram.
(d) The village to which Elais is assigned.
3. What does Elias hope will not happen?
(a) Readers will simply discuss it with no action.
(b) The press will not accept it as true.
(c) The Israeli government will ban it.
(d) The readers will not believe it.
4. Who rules Palestine until the end of WWI?
(a) The Russians and French share rule.
(b) The Ottoman Empire.
(c) A group of independant tribes.
(d) There was no overarching ruler.
5. Why is the Israeli-Palestinian conflict so horrible in Elias' eyes?
(a) It is based on a false idea of God's will.
(b) It is based on greed.
(c) It involves the death of women and children so often.
(d) Because it is blood brothers fighting against each other.
6. What does the Israeli government do in response to Elias' growing fame?
(a) Decide to force Elias to leave the Middle East.
(b) Arrest Elias.
(c) Try to limit access to villages that Elias has helped.
(d) Confine Elias to Ibillin.
7. What does Elias call upon the Palestinians to do?
(a) Stop hating the Jews.
(b) Stop the violence and martyrdom.
(c) Give the Jewish people a chance to redeem themselves.
(d) Refuse to move off their lands any more.
8. What does Elias do when he leaves Germany?
(a) Accepts a teaching post at Oxford.
(b) Leaves the priesthood.
(c) Returns to the Middle East.
(d) Emigrates to the United States.
9. What does Elias talk the sisters into doing?
(a) One of them going to nursing school.
(b) Visitin Muslim women.
(c) Cooking a noonday meal for any who are hungry.
(d) Staying permanently.
10. What does the conflict between Israel and Egypt at this time become known as?
(a) The 30 days' war.
(b) The war of the prophets.
(c) The 100 days' war.
(d) The six days' war.
11. Of what does a fig tree remind Elias?
(a) His father working on the orchards.
(b) His time as a child climbing the tree to get closer to God.
(c) Jesus's curse of a tree in the New Testament.
(d) The idea of all humans being grafted together in a brotherhood by God.
12. What does Israel do in retaliation?
(a) Sends thousand of Palestinian refugees into Egypt.
(b) Executes any Egyptian citizens found in Jerusalem.
(c) Appeals to the United Nations.
(d) Bombs Egypt and other Arab nations's ports.
13. Why does Elias go to talk with the Roman Catholic sisters in Nazareth?
(a) To ask for advice.
(b) To learn something about social services.
(c) To ask them to talk to the Bishop who sent him to Ibillin.
(d) To enlist help.
14. Which one of Jesus' sayings comes to Elias' mind at the end of this chapter?
(a) "Work, for the night is coming."
(b) "Blessed are the poor in spirit."
(c) "Ask and ye shall receive."
(d) "Father forgive them for they know not what they do."
15. Who is Thomas Herzl?
(a) The leader of them moderate Jews opposed to Zionism.
(b) The Zionist leader to whom Elias asks about Zionism.
(c) The founder of the Zionist movement.
(d) The leader of a faction of European Jews who want all Jews to move to Palestine.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elias hope will be the action of those reading his book?
2. Why is the lay person in charge of the church in Ibillin angry?
3. How are the native Palestinians treated?
4. Who comes back with Elias from Nazareth?
5. For what does Elias receive numerous offers?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)