|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Michael want for Elias?
(a) Permission for Elias to emmigrate to the United States.
(b) Permission for Elias to continue to care for his orchards.
(c) To find him a spot in the children's liberation movement.
(d) A school for Elias.
2. Who is Faraj Nakhleh?
(a) Elias's uncle by marriage.
(b) Michael's brother-in-law.
(c) A fellow student with Elias.
(d) The man Elias's sister wants to marry.
3. What does Elias regret?
(a) Not joining the fight to expel the Zionist from his village.
(b) Not letting his family know how much he loves them.
(c) Coming to Europe to experience a church that had become so meaningless.
(d) He tries not to have regrets.
4. What New Testament passage still disturbs Michael?
(b) The Beatitudes.
(c) The parable of the loaves and fishes.
(d) The parable of the rich man and the camel.
5. What was increasingly happening to non-Jewish Palestinians?
(a) They were cooperating with the Zionist out of fear.
(b) They were being herded into concentration camps.
(c) They were becoming refugees in their own land.
(d) They were living peacefully alongside the Zionist.
6. What does the second Supreme Court rule?
(a) They still do not make a ruling.
(b) That the village of Biram no longer belongs to the original inhabitants.
(c) That the village of Biram is to be returned to the original inhabitants.
(d) That the village of Biram is to be divided between the Jews and the original inhabitants.
7. Why do the Zionist landowners employ native Palestinians?
(a) They are unschooled in the proper cultivation of the orchards.
(b) They do not have enough Jews to keep the land cultivated.
(c) They have to by law.
(d) They feel guilty for taking the land away from the native Palestinians.
8. What does Elias wonder as he empathizes with the Jews and their treatment by the Third Reich?
(a) Why the Jews did not rise up in mass and fight.
(b) How the Jews who went so meekly to their deaths could be the same ethnic group as the Zionists that murder hundreds.
(c) Why, when they had been so persecuted, they would choose to exhibit the same behaviors toward others in Israel.
(d) Why the good, average Germans allowed it to happen.
9. What happens when the British withdraw from an area?
(a) Zionist push all non-Jewish Palestinians out.
(b) The Arabs push all Jewish Palestinians out.
(c) Zionist set up a ruling counsel of Jews, Christians and Muslims.
(d) The land is vacant and anyone can make a claim.
10. How do the scholars study the Bible?
(a) With joy and curiousity.
(b) With reverence for God.
(c) In strictly intellectual and historical terms.
11. What causes the villagers anxiety?
(a) That the British will take their improvements when they leave.
(b) That the British will no longer help their village.
(c) That the earthquake may have relocated part of the artisian system.
(d) That it is soldiers and not civilians coming to the village.
12. What is Elias immersed in at his new home?
(a) Learning all about the history of Palestine.
(b) Biblical study.
(c) Learning about the religion of the Jews.
(d) The study of law.
13. What is Elias's primary desire?
(a) To fight in the underground liberation group.
(b) To return to his home in Biram.
(c) To become a lawyer to fight the Zionist legally.
(d) For his parents to return to Biram and their former life of orchard care and serenity.
14. For what is the purchase?
(a) The birth of his new sister.
(b) For use in the new orchad his dad just buys.
(c) For traveling to Jerusalem.
(d) An important visitor.
15. What is Elias's schedule like in Nazareth?
(a) Tough but flexible.
(b) Fairly relaxed.
(c) Quite easy.
(d) Strict and rigorous.
Short Answer Questions
1. What church does Elias Chacour's family attend?
2. Who of Elias's family is taken by the Irgun?
3. What does Elias decide he has to do about his people's struggles?
4. Of what does Elias's father make certain?
5. Why do they end up in Paris?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)