|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What valuable piece of information does the Doctor's Wife take from the radio?
2. Which of these people is not among those the Girl with Dark Glasses interacted with the day she went blind?
3. How does the Thief die?
4. Which of the following is not a career of an arriving inmate?
5. Which of the following is not something that the sergeant compares to the blind internees?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Doctor's conclusion about the origin of his blindness?
2. What bit of knowledge does the Thief reveal to the Doctor's Wife on the night of his death? What will he do with this knowledge?
3. What services will the government offer the quarantined inmates, according to the announcement?
4. Describe the asylum dormitory.
5. Describe the Girl with Dark Glasses' attitude toward her work.
6. Describe the final moments of the Thief's life.
7. What does the Doctor do when his Wife tells him that a Man with an Eye-Patch has arrived in the ward?
8. What is the government's plan for dealing with the outbreak at the end of Chapter 3?
9. Describe the state of the dormitory at the end of Chapter 6.
10. What is the Thief's state of mind at the beginning of Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character arc for the Doctor. As a figure of esteem in the realm of vision before the epidemic, how does he become a figure of scorn after. Citing examples form his time in quarantine, map out his descent from control to helplessness. In what ways does he occasionally reassert his control over life?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the devolution of post-industrial society in the novel by choosing one of the following questions to answer in essay form:
1.) The Doctor's Wife is a witness to degradation and dehumanization in the quarantine. What are some examples of the subhuman conditions in the asylum, and what is Saramago saying about the trajectory human nature takes when standards of living are reduced to subsistence levels?
2.) Discuss the relationship of the Thugs to the rest of the quarantine after the Thugs take control of the food supply. How does this feudal relationship involve inmates relying wholeheartedly on those who subjugate them?
3.) The Man with the Eye-Patch that the state of the city after the blindness has swept the country is similar to the origins of man. How does this city resemble pre-agrarian times, citing examples of modern social standards that have vanished?
Essay Topic 3
Jose Saramago writes his parable without any proper names. How does affect he telling of the story and the readers attitude toward the characters. Cite three characters and describe an initial impression of the person based solely on his/her "name." Go on to describe the journey of that character through the story and how he/she does or does not confound expectations.
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)