|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what part of a car does the Doctor compare the eyes?
2. When does the Doctor go blind?
3. What action does the First Man take, forgetting that he has gone blind?
4. Why does the Thief leave the First Man's car?
5. How long does it take the government to round up the known blind for quarantine?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the state of the dormitory at the end of Chapter 6.
2. Describe the painting the Man with the Eye-Patch mentions at the end of Chapter 8.
3. Describe what happens when the Doctor's Wife wakes up in the morning.
4. Describe the humiliation that occurs when the Doctor tries to use the toilet in Chapter 6.
5. Describe the asylum dormitory.
6. What news does the Minister of Health have for the Doctor when he calls back?
7. How are conditions in quarantine affected as more inmates arrive throughout Chapter 5?
8. What is the Doctor's Wife's reaction to her husbands hypothesis about his blindness?
9. What is the Sergeant's attitude toward the internees?
10. What is the Thief's reaction to the suggestion that the Doctor be leader of the quarantined inmates?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
If the novel Blindness is a parable, what is the lesson? Each of the surviving characters grows in a certain way from their experience in quarantine. What does the breakdown of their lives teach them? Cite examples for three of the surviving characters, noting how they behave at the beginning of the novel and at the end.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of violence in the novel. Is it seen as a purely evil force, or is its function in the novel more ambiguous? Why is it presented in such graphic detail? Write about each of the following violent episodes:
1. The gang-rape of the first ward women by the Thugs.
2. The murder of the Leader of the Thugs by the Doctor's Wife.
3. The burning down of the asylum.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the government's plan for dealing with the white sickness. Knowing what transpires as time goes on, what steps could be taken to avoid the spread of the disease? If none, what course of action could have been taken to protect the population of the unnamed country?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)