Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of the four corpses that the first ward buries, how many actually slept in the first ward?
2. What valuable piece of information does the Doctor's Wife take from the radio?
3. What does the Girl with Dark Glasses want to listen to on the portable radio?
4. What do the soldiers pour on the blind Thief's blood?
5. In the discussion of organizing the first ward, which is not a suggested task to be assigned?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the state of the dormitory at the end of Chapter 6.
2. What is the Doctor's Wife's reaction to her husbands hypothesis about his blindness?
3. How does the Girl with Dark Glasses respond to the Man with the Eye-Patch's declaration of love?
4. What does the Doctor's Wife do when she sees her husband in bed with the Girl with Dark Glasses?
5. Describe the scene in the Thug's Ward immediately after the Doctor's Wife kills their leader.
6. Describe the Thugs' ward.
7. What does the Doctor do when his Wife tells him that a Man with an Eye-Patch has arrived in the ward?
8. In what state do the Doctor and his Wife find the Gaunt Old Woman when they approach her building?
9. How does the First Man compose himself in the Doctor's office?
10. How do the Thugs keep track of their earnings?
Consider the idea of compassion and love in the novel. Often, the world of Blindness seems devoid of these qualities except in a few strange instances:
Part 1) Explain the Doctor's Wife's strange reaction to seeing her husband in bed with the Girl with Dark Glasses? What is she hoping to accomplish by telling them to stay in bed together?
Part 2) Discuss the reasoning of the women's decision to thoroughly wash the body of the Old Woman with insomnia before trying to bury her? What reason is there for taking such lengths to clean a dead body in such a filthy place?
Part 3) Summarize the understanding that the Man with the Eye-Patch and the Girl with Dark Glasses have at the end of the novel? What is the nature of their love, and how did they come about it?
Discuss the function of water in the novel. Write three body paragraphs about three instances in the novel when water plays an active role in the story. Be sure to write about its function both as a narrative device and as a symbol. Sum up Saramago's use of water as a symbol.
If the novel Blindness is a parable, what is the lesson? Each of the surviving characters grows in a certain way from their experience in quarantine. What does the breakdown of their lives teach them? Cite examples for three of the surviving characters, noting how they behave at the beginning of the novel and at the end.
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)