|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What item does an anonymous person wish was around near the end of Chapter 8?
2. Which of these people is not among those the Girl with Dark Glasses interacted with the day she went blind?
3. Before the soldiers provide a spade, what do the inmates use to try to bury the Thief?
4. Who is not among the first group of inmates to arrive in quarantine?
5. Which character urinates in his pants?
Short Essay Questions
1. What bit of knowledge does the Thief reveal to the Doctor's Wife on the night of his death? What will he do with this knowledge?
2. What does the Doctor do when his Wife tells him that a Man with an Eye-Patch has arrived in the ward?
3. Describe the First Man's Wife's reaction to her husband when she comes home.
4. Describe what happens when the Doctor's Wife wakes up in the morning.
5. What insights does the Doctor's Wife have about the society of blind people in quarantine in the beginning of Chapter 5?
6. How does the First Man compose himself in the Doctor's office?
7. How are conditions in quarantine affected as more inmates arrive throughout Chapter 5?
8. Describe the asylum dormitory.
9. What appears to be the pattern for the spread of blindness in the novel?
10. Describe the state of the dormitory at the end of Chapter 6.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following topics to discuss in essay form:
1.) What qualities - besides her ability to see - make the Doctor's Wife a good leader to the group after they leave quarantine? How does she develop these leadership qualities and what are their limits?
2.) What aspects of the government's plan prove to be erroneous? Do you think government officials lacked suitable leadership in dealing with the white sickness, or were events simply too powerful for any leader?
3.) Had a different person from the Leader of the Thugs had a gun and taken control of the food supplies, could the result have been positive? Could order, cleanliness and fair distribution come about, or does absolute power corrupt absolutely?
Essay Topic 2
Within the quarantine, the dueling forces of authoritarian power and chaos are juxtaposed. The central narrative is the conflict of these opposing forces:
Part 1) Compare and contrast the government's plan for controlling the epidemic through quarantine with its plan for maintaining order within the quarantine.
Part 2) Discuss the results of the rules set down by the government to maintain order in quarantine with their results. Which rules are effective and which are discarded immediately?
Part 3) Compare the authoritarian rule of the government over the blind internees with the authoritarian rule of the Thugs over the other wards.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use of violence in the novel. Is it seen as a purely evil force, or is its function in the novel more ambiguous? Why is it presented in such graphic detail? Write about each of the following violent episodes:
1. The gang-rape of the first ward women by the Thugs.
2. The murder of the Leader of the Thugs by the Doctor's Wife.
3. The burning down of the asylum.
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)