|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before the soldiers provide a spade, what do the inmates use to try to bury the Thief?
2. Who is the reader following at the beginning of Chapter 2?
3. Who pick's up the spade from the soldiers?
4. Which of the following is not an item the Doctor's wife packs for quarantine?
5. Why do the inmates collecting the food start shouting out the entrance?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Doctor do when his Wife tells him that a Man with an Eye-Patch has arrived in the ward?
2. Describe the humiliation that occurs when the Doctor tries to use the toilet in Chapter 6.
3. What happens when the hundreds of new internees are delivered to quarantine?
4. What appears to be the pattern for the spread of blindness in the novel?
5. Describe the final moments of the Thief's life.
6. What is the Thief's state of mind at the beginning of Chapter 2?
7. Describe the First Man's Wife's reaction to her husband when she comes home.
8. What services will the government offer the quarantined inmates, according to the announcement?
9. Does the Doctor give up on the case of blindness in the First Man?
10. Who in the first ward dies in the hail of fire?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Burial is an important component of the narrative. As time goes on, the characters' attitude toward interring their dead changes. In an essay, state the change that occurs in this attitude and how this change mirrors the characters' change in self-image. Map this change through the burials of the following:
1. The Thief
2. The four first ward inmates shot by the guards
3. The Old Woman with insomnia
4. The Gaunt Old Woman
Essay Topic 2
The beginning of the novel is marked by a sense of helplessness and shame associated with the inability to see. Explore the unifying embarrassment characters feel in these chapters through the following:
Part 1) How would you describe the character of the First Man? Though we do not know anything of him prior to going blind, does he seem like a man used to asking for help? How does he respond to being helped home by the Thief and stumbling around his apartment?
Part 2) In what state are both the Thief and the Girl with Dark Glasses when they go blind? What - in both of their lives - are they hiding from most of the world which is impossible to hide when they are in this helpless state?
Essay Topic 3
Food - and the search for it - becomes a destructive force in the land of the blind, leading to distrust, dehumanization, and sometimes death:
Part 1) Discuss the distribution of food in the first days of quarantine? Before the Thugs arrive, is the process of food distribution fair and straight forward? In what ways are the baser qualities of humankind on display even in these passages?
Part 2) As the Thugs arrive at quarantine, how does the balance of power shift regarding food? Discuss the quarantine is transformed into a Hobbesian nightmare with food as the sole objective?
Part 3) After quarantine, what instances of death occur as a result of the search for food in the city? In the era of white sickness, can humanity be safe as it seeks to subsist.
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)