Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of the four corpses that the first ward buries, how many actually slept in the first ward?
2. What valuable piece of information does the Doctor's Wife take from the radio?
3. What does the Girl with Dark Glasses want to listen to on the portable radio?
4. What do the soldiers pour on the blind Thief's blood?
5. In the discussion of organizing the first ward, which is not a suggested task to be assigned?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the state of the dormitory at the end of Chapter 6.
2. What is the Doctor's Wife's reaction to her husbands hypothesis about his blindness?
3. How does the Girl with Dark Glasses respond to the Man with the Eye-Patch's declaration of love?
4. What does the Doctor's Wife do when she sees her husband in bed with the Girl with Dark Glasses?
5. Describe the scene in the Thug's Ward immediately after the Doctor's Wife kills their leader.
6. Describe the Thugs' ward.
7. What does the Doctor do when his Wife tells him that a Man with an Eye-Patch has arrived in the ward?
8. In what state do the Doctor and his Wife find the Gaunt Old Woman when they approach her building?
9. How does the First Man compose himself in the Doctor's office?
10. How do the Thugs keep track of their earnings?
Essay Topic 1
Food - and the search for it - becomes a destructive force in the land of the blind, leading to distrust, dehumanization, and sometimes death:
Part 1) Discuss the distribution of food in the first days of quarantine? Before the Thugs arrive, is the process of food distribution fair and straight forward? In what ways are the baser qualities of humankind on display even in these passages?
Part 2) As the Thugs arrive at quarantine, how does the balance of power shift regarding food? Discuss the quarantine is transformed into a Hobbesian nightmare with food as the sole objective?
Part 3) After quarantine, what instances of death occur as a result of the search for food in the city? In the era of white sickness, can humanity be safe as it seeks to subsist.
Essay Topic 2
If the novel Blindness is a parable, what is the lesson? Each of the surviving characters grows in a certain way from their experience in quarantine. What does the breakdown of their lives teach them? Cite examples for three of the surviving characters, noting how they behave at the beginning of the novel and at the end.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the government's plan for dealing with the white sickness. Knowing what transpires as time goes on, what steps could be taken to avoid the spread of the disease? If none, what course of action could have been taken to protect the population of the unnamed country?
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)