|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What aggravates the Doctor in his call with the Ministry of Health?
2. What does the Doctor request of the soldiers?
3. What does the doctor step on on his way to the lavatory?
4. Which of these is not a condition the Doctor asks if the First Man has?
5. Who escorts the Thief home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the final moments of the Thief's life.
2. What is the Thief's reaction to the suggestion that the Doctor be leader of the quarantined inmates?
3. What happens when the hundreds of new internees are delivered to quarantine?
4. Describe the Girl with Dark Glasses' attitude toward her work.
5. How does the Thief suffer an injury?
6. What services will the government offer the quarantined inmates, according to the announcement?
7. How does the First Man compose himself in the Doctor's office?
8. How are conditions in quarantine affected as more inmates arrive throughout Chapter 5?
9. Describe the state of the dormitory at the end of Chapter 6.
10. What insights does the Doctor's Wife have about the society of blind people in quarantine in the beginning of Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the idea of compassion and love in the novel. Often, the world of Blindness seems devoid of these qualities except in a few strange instances:
Part 1) Explain the Doctor's Wife's strange reaction to seeing her husband in bed with the Girl with Dark Glasses? What is she hoping to accomplish by telling them to stay in bed together?
Part 2) Discuss the reasoning of the women's decision to thoroughly wash the body of the Old Woman with insomnia before trying to bury her? What reason is there for taking such lengths to clean a dead body in such a filthy place?
Part 3) Summarize the understanding that the Man with the Eye-Patch and the Girl with Dark Glasses have at the end of the novel? What is the nature of their love, and how did they come about it?
Essay Topic 2
Consider the government's plan for dealing with the white sickness. Knowing what transpires as time goes on, what steps could be taken to avoid the spread of the disease? If none, what course of action could have been taken to protect the population of the unnamed country?
Essay Topic 3
The character of the Thief dominates much of the beginning of the novel, but he is the first internee to die. Choose one of the following questions about the Thief to answer in essay form:
1.) The Thief - in his last moments - privately contends that he is not dying because of any sin he has committed, but because he helped the First Man after he went blind. Do you agree with this? Defend your position, citing evidence in the novel.
2.) The Thief is an anarchist force when he enters quarantine. He quarrels regularly, fights movement to organize, and declares that at last he is equal to those around him. To what extent does he represent the antithesis of the Thugs that will arrive after his death?
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)