|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the soldiers pour on the blind Thief's blood?
2. To what part of a car does the Doctor compare the eyes?
3. What mixes with the blood after several inmates are shot by the soldiers?
4. What does the First Man use to dress his wounded hand?
5. When does the Doctor go blind?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Doctor's conclusion about the origin of his blindness?
2. What insights does the Doctor's Wife have about the society of blind people in quarantine in the beginning of Chapter 5?
3. Describe the humiliation that occurs when the Doctor tries to use the toilet in Chapter 6.
4. Describe the state of the dormitory at the end of Chapter 6.
5. Does the Doctor have an explanation for the First Man's sudden blindness?
6. How does the Thief suffer an injury?
7. Why do the guards fire on the inmates?
8. Describe the asylum dormitory.
9. What news does the Minister of Health have for the Doctor when he calls back?
10. What is the government's plan for dealing with the outbreak at the end of Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Within the quarantine, the dueling forces of authoritarian power and chaos are juxtaposed. The central narrative is the conflict of these opposing forces:
Part 1) Compare and contrast the government's plan for controlling the epidemic through quarantine with its plan for maintaining order within the quarantine.
Part 2) Discuss the results of the rules set down by the government to maintain order in quarantine with their results. Which rules are effective and which are discarded immediately?
Part 3) Compare the authoritarian rule of the government over the blind internees with the authoritarian rule of the Thugs over the other wards.
Essay Topic 2
If the novel Blindness is a parable, what is the lesson? Each of the surviving characters grows in a certain way from their experience in quarantine. What does the breakdown of their lives teach them? Cite examples for three of the surviving characters, noting how they behave at the beginning of the novel and at the end.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character arc for the Doctor. As a figure of esteem in the realm of vision before the epidemic, how does he become a figure of scorn after. Citing examples form his time in quarantine, map out his descent from control to helplessness. In what ways does he occasionally reassert his control over life?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)