|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is quarantine located?
2. Who is the last patient the Doctor sees the day before he goes blind?
3. Which of these people is not among those the Girl with Dark Glasses interacted with the day she went blind?
4. Where is the First Man when he goes blind?
5. Who is kept in the second wing of the asylum?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the painting the Man with the Eye-Patch mentions at the end of Chapter 8.
2. What happens when the hundreds of new internees are delivered to quarantine?
3. How does the Man with the Eye-Patch describe the state of the outside world?
4. What is the Doctor's Wife's reaction to her husbands hypothesis about his blindness?
5. How does the Thief suffer an injury?
6. How does the First Man compose himself in the Doctor's office?
7. What does the Doctor do when his Wife tells him that a Man with an Eye-Patch has arrived in the ward?
8. What appears to be the pattern for the spread of blindness in the novel?
9. Who in the first ward dies in the hail of fire?
10. Does the First Man trust the man who comes to his aid after he goes blind?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several objects have major effects on the outcome of events in quarantine. Write a body paragraph about each of these objects: initial impressions upon its first appearance in the narrative, conjecture about its possible use by characters, and eventual function within the story:
Part 1) The gun
Part 2) The scissors
Part 3) The lighter
Essay Topic 2
Create a character arc for the Doctor. As a figure of esteem in the realm of vision before the epidemic, how does he become a figure of scorn after. Citing examples form his time in quarantine, map out his descent from control to helplessness. In what ways does he occasionally reassert his control over life?
Essay Topic 3
If the novel Blindness is a parable, what is the lesson? Each of the surviving characters grows in a certain way from their experience in quarantine. What does the breakdown of their lives teach them? Cite examples for three of the surviving characters, noting how they behave at the beginning of the novel and at the end.
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)