|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is delivered for lunch?
2. Which of these people is not among those the Girl with Dark Glasses interacted with the day she went blind?
3. Who escorts the Thief home?
4. Who comes to the First Man's aid after he goes blind?
5. Where is quarantine located?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the First Man's Wife's reaction to her husband when she comes home.
2. Describe the state of the dormitory at the end of Chapter 6.
3. What is the Doctor's conclusion about the origin of his blindness?
4. What is the Sergeant's attitude toward the internees?
5. By this point, is the dispersal of food effectively organized by Chapter 7?
6. How does the Thief suffer an injury?
7. What services will the government offer the quarantined inmates, according to the announcement?
8. Does the Doctor give up on the case of blindness in the First Man?
9. What happens when the hundreds of new internees are delivered to quarantine?
10. Describe the final moments of the Thief's life.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Within the quarantine, the dueling forces of authoritarian power and chaos are juxtaposed. The central narrative is the conflict of these opposing forces:
Part 1) Compare and contrast the government's plan for controlling the epidemic through quarantine with its plan for maintaining order within the quarantine.
Part 2) Discuss the results of the rules set down by the government to maintain order in quarantine with their results. Which rules are effective and which are discarded immediately?
Part 3) Compare the authoritarian rule of the government over the blind internees with the authoritarian rule of the Thugs over the other wards.
Essay Topic 2
Saramago makes several references to the old cliche: "in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king." In the central section of the novel, he pits two characters with sensory advantages against each other: the Doctor's Wife, who can see, and the Chronicler, who was born blind and can read and type braille. Compare and contrast these two "one-eyed men" and how they use or do not use their advantages. Is either truly a leader or "king" in the quarantine? What does each hope to achieve for their constituency?
Essay Topic 3
Several objects have major effects on the outcome of events in quarantine. Write a body paragraph about each of these objects: initial impressions upon its first appearance in the narrative, conjecture about its possible use by characters, and eventual function within the story:
Part 1) The gun
Part 2) The scissors
Part 3) The lighter
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)