Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of the four corpses that the first ward buries, how many actually slept in the first ward?
2. What valuable piece of information does the Doctor's Wife take from the radio?
3. What does the Girl with Dark Glasses want to listen to on the portable radio?
4. What do the soldiers pour on the blind Thief's blood?
5. In the discussion of organizing the first ward, which is not a suggested task to be assigned?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the state of the dormitory at the end of Chapter 6.
2. What is the Doctor's Wife's reaction to her husbands hypothesis about his blindness?
3. How does the Girl with Dark Glasses respond to the Man with the Eye-Patch's declaration of love?
4. What does the Doctor's Wife do when she sees her husband in bed with the Girl with Dark Glasses?
5. Describe the scene in the Thug's Ward immediately after the Doctor's Wife kills their leader.
6. Describe the Thugs' ward.
7. What does the Doctor do when his Wife tells him that a Man with an Eye-Patch has arrived in the ward?
8. In what state do the Doctor and his Wife find the Gaunt Old Woman when they approach her building?
9. How does the First Man compose himself in the Doctor's office?
10. How do the Thugs keep track of their earnings?
Essay Topic 1
Jose Saramago writes his parable without any proper names. How does affect he telling of the story and the readers attitude toward the characters. Cite three characters and describe an initial impression of the person based solely on his/her "name." Go on to describe the journey of that character through the story and how he/she does or does not confound expectations.
Essay Topic 2
After the central characters leave quarantine, they discover a city where absence of sight has rendered private property nonexistent:
Part 1) Examine the overview of the situation as related by the anonymous man that the Doctor's Wife speaks to as she is walking to the city? What function do residences and stores serve in this new society?
Part 2) Which characters within the group cling to the hope that they will find their old home, and which give up this hope? Prior to regaining their sight, do they find a home?
Part 3) Examine the First Man's arrangement with the Writer living in his house. How has the First Man's attitude toward private property changed since the beginning of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Within the quarantine, the dueling forces of authoritarian power and chaos are juxtaposed. The central narrative is the conflict of these opposing forces:
Part 1) Compare and contrast the government's plan for controlling the epidemic through quarantine with its plan for maintaining order within the quarantine.
Part 2) Discuss the results of the rules set down by the government to maintain order in quarantine with their results. Which rules are effective and which are discarded immediately?
Part 3) Compare the authoritarian rule of the government over the blind internees with the authoritarian rule of the Thugs over the other wards.
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)