|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many inmates are ordered to take away the Thief's body?
2. What is the doctor's diagnosis to explain the First Man's blindness?
3. What does the Doctor's Wife find in a cupboard in the quarantine?
4. Why do two inmates in the first ward fight?
5. What does the second ward finally do in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Thief suffer an injury?
2. Describe the painting the Man with the Eye-Patch mentions at the end of Chapter 8.
3. Describe the asylum dormitory.
4. What is the Thief's state of mind at the beginning of Chapter 2?
5. Describe the Girl with Dark Glasses' attitude toward her work.
6. By this point, is the dispersal of food effectively organized by Chapter 7?
7. How does the First Man compose himself in the Doctor's office?
8. What insights does the Doctor's Wife have about the society of blind people in quarantine in the beginning of Chapter 5?
9. How does the Man with the Eye-Patch describe the state of the outside world?
10. Why do the guards fire on the inmates?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the government's plan for dealing with the white sickness. Knowing what transpires as time goes on, what steps could be taken to avoid the spread of the disease? If none, what course of action could have been taken to protect the population of the unnamed country?
Essay Topic 2
Several objects have major effects on the outcome of events in quarantine. Write a body paragraph about each of these objects: initial impressions upon its first appearance in the narrative, conjecture about its possible use by characters, and eventual function within the story:
Part 1) The gun
Part 2) The scissors
Part 3) The lighter
Essay Topic 3
Burial is an important component of the narrative. As time goes on, the characters' attitude toward interring their dead changes. In an essay, state the change that occurs in this attitude and how this change mirrors the characters' change in self-image. Map this change through the burials of the following:
1. The Thief
2. The four first ward inmates shot by the guards
3. The Old Woman with insomnia
4. The Gaunt Old Woman
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)