|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not among the objects that internees saw immediately before going blind?
2. What do the inmates do before burying their dead?
3. What valuable piece of information does the Doctor's Wife take from the radio?
4. Which character urinates in his pants?
5. How does the Doctor's Wife gain access to quarantine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the government's plan for dealing with the outbreak at the end of Chapter 3?
2. How are conditions in quarantine affected as more inmates arrive throughout Chapter 5?
3. What news does the Minister of Health have for the Doctor when he calls back?
4. What is the Thief's reaction to the suggestion that the Doctor be leader of the quarantined inmates?
5. Describe the asylum dormitory.
6. By this point, is the dispersal of food effectively organized by Chapter 7?
7. Does the First Man trust the man who comes to his aid after he goes blind?
8. What does the Doctor do when his Wife tells him that a Man with an Eye-Patch has arrived in the ward?
9. What happens when the hundreds of new internees are delivered to quarantine?
10. What appears to be the pattern for the spread of blindness in the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Saramago makes several references to the old cliche: "in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king." In the central section of the novel, he pits two characters with sensory advantages against each other: the Doctor's Wife, who can see, and the Chronicler, who was born blind and can read and type braille. Compare and contrast these two "one-eyed men" and how they use or do not use their advantages. Is either truly a leader or "king" in the quarantine? What does each hope to achieve for their constituency?
Essay Topic 2
Consider the government's plan for dealing with the white sickness. Knowing what transpires as time goes on, what steps could be taken to avoid the spread of the disease? If none, what course of action could have been taken to protect the population of the unnamed country?
Essay Topic 3
Several objects have major effects on the outcome of events in quarantine. Write a body paragraph about each of these objects: initial impressions upon its first appearance in the narrative, conjecture about its possible use by characters, and eventual function within the story:
Part 1) The gun
Part 2) The scissors
Part 3) The lighter
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)