|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the last patient the Doctor sees the day before he goes blind?
2. Who severely wounds the Thief?
3. Who is the second person who goes blind in the novel?
4. What does the Doctor do when he discovers he is blind?
5. What item does the First Man accidentally leave with the Thief?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does the Doctor give up on the case of blindness in the First Man?
2. What is the Thief's reaction to the suggestion that the Doctor be leader of the quarantined inmates?
3. What is the government's plan for dealing with the outbreak at the end of Chapter 3?
4. How are conditions in quarantine affected as more inmates arrive throughout Chapter 5?
5. What is the Sergeant's attitude toward the internees?
6. How does the Thief suffer an injury?
7. What does the Doctor do when his Wife tells him that a Man with an Eye-Patch has arrived in the ward?
8. Describe the Girl with Dark Glasses' attitude toward her work.
9. Describe the state of the dormitory at the end of Chapter 6.
10. What happens when the hundreds of new internees are delivered to quarantine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several objects have major effects on the outcome of events in quarantine. Write a body paragraph about each of these objects: initial impressions upon its first appearance in the narrative, conjecture about its possible use by characters, and eventual function within the story:
Part 1) The gun
Part 2) The scissors
Part 3) The lighter
Essay Topic 2
Within the quarantine, the dueling forces of authoritarian power and chaos are juxtaposed. The central narrative is the conflict of these opposing forces:
Part 1) Compare and contrast the government's plan for controlling the epidemic through quarantine with its plan for maintaining order within the quarantine.
Part 2) Discuss the results of the rules set down by the government to maintain order in quarantine with their results. Which rules are effective and which are discarded immediately?
Part 3) Compare the authoritarian rule of the government over the blind internees with the authoritarian rule of the Thugs over the other wards.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the devolution of post-industrial society in the novel by choosing one of the following questions to answer in essay form:
1.) The Doctor's Wife is a witness to degradation and dehumanization in the quarantine. What are some examples of the subhuman conditions in the asylum, and what is Saramago saying about the trajectory human nature takes when standards of living are reduced to subsistence levels?
2.) Discuss the relationship of the Thugs to the rest of the quarantine after the Thugs take control of the food supply. How does this feudal relationship involve inmates relying wholeheartedly on those who subjugate them?
3.) The Man with the Eye-Patch that the state of the city after the blindness has swept the country is similar to the origins of man. How does this city resemble pre-agrarian times, citing examples of modern social standards that have vanished?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)