|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What rumor about the government is going around?
2. Whose spouse arrives with the new inmates?
3. What does the Girl with Dark Glasses bring to the quarantine in her handbag?
4. What do the soldiers pour on the blind Thief's blood?
5. Which newly blind character arrives in the first ward at the end of the chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What news does the Minister of Health have for the Doctor when he calls back?
2. What happens when the hundreds of new internees are delivered to quarantine?
3. Describe what happens when the Doctor's Wife wakes up in the morning.
4. Does the Doctor have an explanation for the First Man's sudden blindness?
5. Does the First Man trust the man who comes to his aid after he goes blind?
6. What does the Doctor do when his Wife tells him that a Man with an Eye-Patch has arrived in the ward?
7. How does the Man with the Eye-Patch describe the state of the outside world?
8. Describe the final moments of the Thief's life.
9. Describe the Man with the Eye-Patch.
10. What is the government's plan for dealing with the outbreak at the end of Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character arc for the Doctor. As a figure of esteem in the realm of vision before the epidemic, how does he become a figure of scorn after. Citing examples form his time in quarantine, map out his descent from control to helplessness. In what ways does he occasionally reassert his control over life?
Essay Topic 2
Jose Saramago writes his parable without any proper names. How does affect he telling of the story and the readers attitude toward the characters. Cite three characters and describe an initial impression of the person based solely on his/her "name." Go on to describe the journey of that character through the story and how he/she does or does not confound expectations.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the function of water in the novel. Write three body paragraphs about three instances in the novel when water plays an active role in the story. Be sure to write about its function both as a narrative device and as a symbol. Sum up Saramago's use of water as a symbol.
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)