|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the one advantage of having a completely full first ward?
2. What does the Doctor's Wife find in a cupboard in the quarantine?
3. What is delivered for lunch?
4. Who escorts the Thief home?
5. Who is the second person who goes blind in the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the guards fire on the inmates?
2. What does the Doctor do when his Wife tells him that a Man with an Eye-Patch has arrived in the ward?
3. How does the First Man compose himself in the Doctor's office?
4. Describe what happens when the Doctor's Wife wakes up in the morning.
5. How are conditions in quarantine affected as more inmates arrive throughout Chapter 5?
6. What is the Doctor's conclusion about the origin of his blindness?
7. Describe the asylum dormitory.
8. How does the Thief suffer an injury?
9. Does the Doctor have an explanation for the First Man's sudden blindness?
10. What is the Thief's reaction to the suggestion that the Doctor be leader of the quarantined inmates?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the government's plan for dealing with the white sickness. Knowing what transpires as time goes on, what steps could be taken to avoid the spread of the disease? If none, what course of action could have been taken to protect the population of the unnamed country?
Essay Topic 2
After the central characters leave quarantine, they discover a city where absence of sight has rendered private property nonexistent:
Part 1) Examine the overview of the situation as related by the anonymous man that the Doctor's Wife speaks to as she is walking to the city? What function do residences and stores serve in this new society?
Part 2) Which characters within the group cling to the hope that they will find their old home, and which give up this hope? Prior to regaining their sight, do they find a home?
Part 3) Examine the First Man's arrangement with the Writer living in his house. How has the First Man's attitude toward private property changed since the beginning of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Several objects have major effects on the outcome of events in quarantine. Write a body paragraph about each of these objects: initial impressions upon its first appearance in the narrative, conjecture about its possible use by characters, and eventual function within the story:
Part 1) The gun
Part 2) The scissors
Part 3) The lighter
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)