|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the doctor's diagnosis to explain the First Man's blindness?
2. Why is the Girl with Dark Glasses seeing the Doctor?
3. Who comes to the First Man's aid after he goes blind?
4. To what part of a car does the Doctor compare the eyes?
5. What do the soldiers pour on the blind Thief's blood?
Short Essay Questions
1. What idea does the Doctor's Wife have when it starts raining?
2. Describe the Man with the Eye-Patch.
3. Describe what happens when the Doctor's Wife wakes up in the morning.
4. What is the Doctor's Wife's reaction to her husbands hypothesis about his blindness?
5. Describe the Gaunt Old Woman that lives below the Girl with Dark Glasses' parents' apartment.
6. What does the unnamed woman do with the lighter she finds among her baggage?
7. How do the Thugs keep track of their earnings?
8. Who in the first ward dies in the hail of fire?
9. What are the sleeping conditions in quarantine now that all of the beds are full?
10. How does the first ward get its information of the outside world?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the devolution of post-industrial society in the novel by choosing one of the following questions to answer in essay form:
1.) The Doctor's Wife is a witness to degradation and dehumanization in the quarantine. What are some examples of the subhuman conditions in the asylum, and what is Saramago saying about the trajectory human nature takes when standards of living are reduced to subsistence levels?
2.) Discuss the relationship of the Thugs to the rest of the quarantine after the Thugs take control of the food supply. How does this feudal relationship involve inmates relying wholeheartedly on those who subjugate them?
3.) The Man with the Eye-Patch that the state of the city after the blindness has swept the country is similar to the origins of man. How does this city resemble pre-agrarian times, citing examples of modern social standards that have vanished?
Essay Topic 2
Saramago makes several references to the old cliche: "in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king." In the central section of the novel, he pits two characters with sensory advantages against each other: the Doctor's Wife, who can see, and the Chronicler, who was born blind and can read and type braille. Compare and contrast these two "one-eyed men" and how they use or do not use their advantages. Is either truly a leader or "king" in the quarantine? What does each hope to achieve for their constituency?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following topics to discuss in essay form:
1.) What qualities - besides her ability to see - make the Doctor's Wife a good leader to the group after they leave quarantine? How does she develop these leadership qualities and what are their limits?
2.) What aspects of the government's plan prove to be erroneous? Do you think government officials lacked suitable leadership in dealing with the white sickness, or were events simply too powerful for any leader?
3.) Had a different person from the Leader of the Thugs had a gun and taken control of the food supplies, could the result have been positive? Could order, cleanliness and fair distribution come about, or does absolute power corrupt absolutely?
This section contains 2,676 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)