|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the First Man decide to do with his house at the end of the chapter?
(a) Move in but allow the writer to stay
(b) Expel the writer and take it back
(c) Give it to the writer as long as he is blind
(d) Give it to the writer permanently
2. Who is the first woman in the first ward to announce she will acquiesce to the Thugs' demands?
(a) The Doctor's Wife
(b) The Girl with Dark Glasses
(c) The Chambermaid
(d) The First Man's Wife
3. What ridiculous suggestion does one inmate make after the Thugs steal the food rations?
(a) Asking the guards for more food
(b) Calling the police
(c) Stealing the food back
(d) Asking to join the Thugs
4. What does the Girl with Dark Glasses do with her bed, that the Doctor's Wife wishes she had thought to do?
(a) Moves it nearer the open window
(b) Makes a tent over it with a blanket
(c) Pushes it together with another
(d) Ties makeshift ropes along the side for protection
5. The Doctor's Wife reasons that she killed another man in addition to the Leader of the Thugs. Where does she stab him?
(a) In his neck
(b) In his temple
(c) In his stomach
(d) In his chest
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Man with the Eye Patch stop receiving news from his radio?
2. What important item did the Doctor's Wife bring from the asylum?
3. What item does the Girl with Dark Glasses hide beneath her bed?
4. Whose house is furthest away from the asylum?
5. What does the Leader of the Thugs do at the same time as his throat is cut?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Thugs keep track of their earnings?
2. What is the result of the other wards having given the Thugs all their valuables at once?
3. In what state do the Doctor and his Wife find the Gaunt Old Woman when they approach her building?
4. What are the sleeping conditions in quarantine now that all of the beds are full?
5. How do the Thugs take control of the food rations?
6. Why would the Doctor's Wife's mentioning to the stranger she meets that she is going home reveal that she can see?
7. Describe the old woman with insomnia in Chapter 9.
8. What plan does the Doctor's Wife and her band of companions develop after the asylum burns down?
9. How does the first ward get its information of the outside world?
10. What does the Doctor's Wife say to silence the Thugs when they stop by the first ward at the beginning of Chapter 12?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)