|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do two men returning from the Thugs warn the first warders not to do?
(a) Make any sudden moves
(b) Talk back
(c) Drop anything
(d) Hide anything
2. What does the Girl with Dark Glasses not realize?
(a) Her conjunctivitis is gone
(b) Her hair has gone white
(c) She is sleeping in the wrong bed
(d) Her glasses have been stolen
3. What does the Doctor's Wife hide in the Gaunt Old Woman's garden before leaving?
(a) Her scissors
(b) A dead hen
(c) The group's old clothes
(d) The Girl with Dark Glasses' key
4. Which is not an item the Doctor's Wife finds in her larder?
(a) A jar of preserves
(b) Dried fruit
5. What ailment does the Doctor's Wife fear she has at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) A fever
6. Why do the soldiers not shoot the blind inmates as they flee the quarantine?
(a) The soldiers have abandoned their post
(b) The soldiers have run out of ammunition
(c) The soldiers are all blind
(d) The soldiers are asleep and easily overtaken
7. How does the Thug's guard keep watch?
(a) He has built a barricade of trash, beds, and feces
(b) He waves a stick back and forth, feeling for intruders
(c) He holds the gun and fires a shot if he hear something
(d) He clicks his tongue and listens for the echo
8. Who is the first woman from the first ward that the Leader of the Thugs rapes?
(a) The Old Woman with Insomnia
(b) The Girl with Dark Glasses
(c) The First Man's Wife
(d) The Doctor's Wife
9. What do the Thugs demand in Chapter 9 in exchange for food?
(a) Money and valuables
(d) A ward to themselves
10. Who in the first ward defends the anonymous person who killed the Leader of the Thugs?
(a) The First Man
(b) The Girl with Dark Glasses
(c) The Man with the Eye Patch
(d) The Doctor
11. Whom is the first person the Doctor's Wife informs she can see?
(a) The Girl with Dark Glasses
(b) The Squinting Child
(c) The Man with the Eye-Patch
(d) The First Man's Wife
12. Who vomits as a result of the corpse being eaten?
(a) The First Man's Wife
(b) The First Man
(c) The Doctor's Wife
(d) The Squinting Boy
13. Which two characters are given sneakers rather than boots by the Doctor's Wife?
(a) The Man with the Eye-Patch and the First Man
(b) The Doctor and the Girl with Dark Glasses
(c) The Man with the Eye Patch and the Squinting Child
(d) The Girl with Dark Glasses and the First Man's Wife
14. The Doctor's Wife reasons that she killed another man in addition to the Leader of the Thugs. Where does she stab him?
(a) In his neck
(b) In his stomach
(c) In his temple
(d) In his chest
15. One of the Thugs is blind from birth - not from the epidemic. What is he called by his cohorts?
(a) The Accountant
(b) The Chronicler
(c) The Eyes
(d) The Boy Genius
Short Answer Questions
1. How many inmates are shot during the assault on the Thugs' ward?
2. Who cannot walk with her own strength after the gang-rape by the Thugs?
3. Who takes control of the Leader's gun?
4. Who is the first man in the first ward to protest that the women should not submit to the Thugs?
5. Who stops sleeping in the main room of the house after the Man with the Eye Patch's awkward declaration of love?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)