|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the fire that burns down the asylum begin?
(a) The first ward
(b) The courtyard
(c) The lavatory
(d) The Thug's ward
2. Whom is the first person the Doctor's Wife informs she can see?
(a) The First Man's Wife
(b) The Girl with Dark Glasses
(c) The Man with the Eye-Patch
(d) The Squinting Child
3. What ridiculous suggestion does one inmate make after the Thugs steal the food rations?
(a) Stealing the food back
(b) Asking the guards for more food
(c) Calling the police
(d) Asking to join the Thugs
4. What vegetable does the Gaunt Old Woman eat along with her raw rabbit?
5. What does the Girl with Dark Glasses not realize?
(a) Her hair has gone white
(b) Her conjunctivitis is gone
(c) She is sleeping in the wrong bed
(d) Her glasses have been stolen
6. Which ailment is not mentioned among those prevalent in quarantine?
(b) Chronic diarrhea
7. How does the Thug's guard keep watch?
(a) He waves a stick back and forth, feeling for intruders
(b) He has built a barricade of trash, beds, and feces
(c) He clicks his tongue and listens for the echo
(d) He holds the gun and fires a shot if he hear something
8. What does each member of the sieging group carry with her?
(a) A rock
(b) A blade of glass
(c) A metal rod
(d) A heavy stick
9. Which two characters in the first ward collect and deliver the valuables?
(a) The First Man and the Doctor
(b) The First Man and the Nurse
(c) The Doctor's Wife and the First Man
(d) The Doctor and the Doctor's Wife
10. What does the Doctor's Wife suggest to her husband she will do with the scissors?
(a) Kill herself
(b) Trim his beard
(c) Attack the Thugs
(d) She does not know
11. On second glance, what does the Doctor's Wife notice the filthy blind lovers in the hall are doing?
(b) Whispering to each other
(c) Holding hands
(d) Grappling for food
12. How does the Man with the Eye Patch relay the news from his radio?
(a) He tell is to the Doctor's Wife, who passes it on
(b) He passes it bed to bed like a game of Telephone
(c) He does not tell the others
(d) He makes three summary announcements a day
13. What do two men returning from the Thugs warn the first warders not to do?
(a) Hide anything
(b) Make any sudden moves
(c) Talk back
(d) Drop anything
14. Who is the first man in the first ward to protest that the women should not submit to the Thugs?
(a) The First Man
(b) The Doctor
(c) The Man with the Eye-Patch
(d) No man speaks out
15. What does a blind person grab from the Doctor's Wife as she runs from the grocery?
(a) Her bag of groceries
(b) Her shoe
(c) A clump of her hair
(d) Her shirt
Short Answer Questions
1. When the Doctor's Wife gets out of bed, what does she choose not to put on?
2. Which of the following is not a threat that the Thugs make against the Doctor's Wife?
3. Which is not an item the Doctor's Wife finds in her larder?
4. In the first ward, who suggests and an armed assault against the Thugs?
5. What begins to follow the Doctor's Wife on her way back to her companions?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)