|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the soldiers not shoot the blind inmates as they flee the quarantine?
(a) The soldiers have run out of ammunition
(b) The soldiers are asleep and easily overtaken
(c) The soldiers have abandoned their post
(d) The soldiers are all blind
2. What happens for the first time in many days as the first ward is preparing to siege the Thugs?
(a) The loudspeaker announces the quarantine rules
(b) The Doctor's Wife falls asleep
(c) The soldiers deliver food rations
(d) The Doctor regains his sight
3. What does the Doctor's Wife hide in the Gaunt Old Woman's garden before leaving?
(a) The Girl with Dark Glasses' key
(b) Her scissors
(c) The group's old clothes
(d) A dead hen
4. What ailment does the Doctor's Wife fear she has at the end of Chapter 10?
(d) A fever
5. What does the First Man decide to do with his house at the end of the chapter?
(a) Give it to the writer as long as he is blind
(b) Give it to the writer permanently
(c) Move in but allow the writer to stay
(d) Expel the writer and take it back
6. What is the first useful item that the Doctor's Wife finds in the grocery storeroom?
(b) Chorizo sausage
(c) Bottled water
7. What does the Girl with Dark Glasses not realize?
(a) Her glasses have been stolen
(b) She is sleeping in the wrong bed
(c) Her conjunctivitis is gone
(d) Her hair has gone white
8. Whom is the first person the Doctor's Wife informs she can see?
(a) The Man with the Eye-Patch
(b) The Squinting Child
(c) The First Man's Wife
(d) The Girl with Dark Glasses
9. Why is the Gaunt Old Woman's body particularly light?
(a) She did not eat in her last week of life
(b) She is half-eaten by animals
(c) She has lost a lot of water in the sun
(d) She has decomposed substantially
10. Which of the following social niceties has not disappeared from society in this chapter?
(b) Private defecation
(d) Private property
11. Why does the Man with the Eye Patch stop receiving news from his radio?
(a) The station stops broadcasting
(b) He has to give the radio to the Thugs
(c) The announcer goes blind
(d) The radio dies
12. Who does not bathe in the rain?
(a) The Old Man with the Eye Patch
(b) The First Man's Wife
(c) The Doctor's Wife
(d) The Girl with Dark Glasses
13. What pierces a blind man's leg as he searches the same supermarket as the Doctor's Wife?
(a) A stray nail
(b) A rotten fish bone
(c) A splinter of glass
(d) A sardine tin lid
14. How many women from the second ward go to the Thugs?
15. Which ailment is not mentioned among those prevalent in quarantine?
(c) Chronic diarrhea
Short Answer Questions
1. What is discovered by the Thug's after they make a full search of the wards for valuables?
2. Which is not an item the Doctor's Wife finds in her larder?
3. Whose house is furthest away from the asylum?
4. What is the group doing when the Man with the Eye Patch declares his love?
5. What information - beside the fact that she can see - does the Doctor's Wife not volunteer to the man she talks to on the street?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)