|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How often does Antonio see his brothers once they returned from war?
(a) Two times a day.
(b) Only midafternoon.
(c) Once at night.
(d) Morning at breakfast.
2. What happened to Pedro's family?
(a) He never married.
(b) His wife died and he had no children.
(c) His wife and children died in a tragic accident.
(d) His wife left him and she took his children.
3. What do Ultima and Antonio witness while sitting in the shade of the alamos of the river?
(a) The owl carrying Lupito's soul.
(b) The river change colors.
(c) The sky adorned with la Virgen de Guadalupe's horned moon.
(d) The presence with its secret message.
4. What is the fear of the church?
(a) Faith would be placed in the powers of la curandera.
(b) The faithful would idol the golden carp.
(c) The faithful would not pray the rosary.
(d) The moon would not pass from east to west.
5. Where does the Marez family go every autumn?
(a) Guadalupe, to sell their produce at market.
(b) They visit Jason's family, bringing alfalfa and herbs
(c) Mexico, to visit their grandparents.
(d) El Puerto, where their mother's family lived.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the owl cry out in alarm in Chapter 7?
2. Who are the boys who befriend Antonio during the first few months of school?
3. What unique feature did the tunas have?
4. What is the name of the bridge the Marez family passes while journeying to El Puerto in Chapter 5?
5. What feeling does Tony have after his brothers head toward town in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the events surrounding Lupito's death.
2. Describe the Marez home on the first day of school.
3. Describe the events surrounding the curse of Lucas.
4. What is the significance of the river for Antonio?
5. What did Narcisco do when he realized he would not be able to get to the Marez home to warn Ultima of Tenorio's revenge?
6. What do the Marez brothers do once they return home in Chapter 8?
7. Describe the sights and sounds of harvest time in El Puerto.
8. How important is prayer for Antonio's mother?
9. What are the prominent characteristics of the Luna family?
10. What was the significance of Blue Lake for Tony?
This section contains 1,130 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)