|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the significance of the chipped plaster on the Virgin's statue?
(a) The chip exposes pure-white plaster representing her freedom from sin.
(b) The chip represents the tears the Virgen shed when she met the Indian boy.
(c) The plaster is sculpted by a priest.
(d) The chip represents the wounds suffered by Lupito.
2. Which brother suffers from war sickness?
3. What does Eugene tell his father he did not want to do?
(a) Go to school.
(b) Work on the llano.
(c) Work on the highway crew.
(d) Pray the rosary.
4. Why does Antonio's mother look forward to visiting El Puerto?
(a) She could collect special herbs.
(b) She will be surrounded by her Luna family.
(c) She could see the Virgin's horned moon.
(d) She could pray the rosary.
5. Why did the Marez family move from the llano to the town of Guadalupe?
(a) Benito Campos built a home for the Marez family.
(b) There is more land to raise cattle.
(c) The town offers better opportunity and schooling for the children.
(d) Family members live there.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are Deborah and Theresa happy that Ultima came to live with them?
2. Where did Antonio's father get his education?
3. Why is Antonio's father angry with his mother after he spends nights drinking with his friends?
4. What happens to Antonio once he eats one of Narcisco's carrots?
5. What does Cico tell Tony never to do in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the different forms of evil as Ultima rids Lucas of the brujas curse.
2. Why are the Marez brothers anxious to leave their family?
3. Describe the sights and sounds of harvest time in El Puerto.
4. Why is Ultima a welcome addition to the Marez family?
5. Describe the major event before school let out for the Christmas holidays.
6. Describe the adventure Cico and Antonio set out for in Chapter 11.
7. What is the allure of Narcisco's garden?
8. What is the importance of Antonio receiving his First Communion on Easter Sunday?
9. Explain the story Father Byrne told of eternity.
10. What is the significance of Ultima's blessing before Antonio leaves for school?
This section contains 1,185 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)