|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What vitamin/mineral is on the shelf in the cabinet?
2. Who comes to Ben's defense?
3. Raina says she used to feel like ____.
4. What brand is Raina's sweatshirt?
5. What sport are the kids playing at the time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the incident in which Phil and Craig get into trouble for peeing on the bedroom floor.
2. What occurs after Craig gets home?
3. Who is at home to greet Raina and Craig?
4. Explain the scene when Craig and Raina return to the mountain.
5. What does Raina say in the car that upsets Craig?
6. Describe the party held by Raina's friends.
7. How does Craig relate to the stories about Raina's childhood?
8. How does the story about Socrates affect Craig? What does Craig do?
9. What mural is painted on Raina's bedroom wall?
10. Judy has regrets about her past and expresses them to Raina. What are Judy's regrets?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Thompson uses many flashbacks, particularly when telling tales about his childhood. Discuss the use of flashback in the storytelling process. Does each character give enough information to make the story relatable? If not, why? How do you think Gaiman creates a story within a story using flashback? Do you like the use of flashbacks? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Art is Craig's life. Ever since he and Phil were young children, they spent a great deal of time creating art. Give at least five examples in which art has played a major role in Craig's life. Discuss Craig's confusion about the direction of his art as well as his final decision.
Essay Topic 3
Raina tells Craig that her parents adopted Ben and Laura because they felt blessed and lucky and wanted to share their good fortune with someone in need. Discuss this philosophy. Why do you think Steve and Judy chose to adopt kids with Down's syndrome? What did Raina mean when she said that her parents hadn't planned for the long haul? Do you believe in being blessed or lucky? What might happen to Ben and Laura after the divorce?
This section contains 1,046 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)