|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Craig tells a story about a prisoner and _____.
2. Raina asks which is scarier - _____ or temptation.
3. Craig says that the trees have become ______.
4. How old is Ben?
5. Craig's parents present the boys with a new ________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What poem does Craig composes about Raina as she sleeps?
2. Describe the story about people living in dark caverns.
3. Judy has regrets about her past and expresses them to Raina. What are Judy's regrets?
4. What request does Julie make of Raina?
5. Describe the outburst scene between Steve and Ben.
6. Discuss the trip to take Craig back to his mother.
7. What occurs after Craig gets home?
8. How does Craig relate to the stories about Raina's childhood?
9. Discuss the presentation of the new bed to Phil and Craig. How do the boys respond?
10. Describe the scene that takes place after Steve goes home for the night.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Craig's visit to Michigan changed his life in a number of ways, from learning about a new family to exploring first love. During the stay, Craig says, "When I'd first arrived, we were full of restlessness and enthusiasm - awake to all sensation. The days inbetween wandered aimlessly and blended together - oblivious to any other world" (Chapter 7, p. 379). What had changed from the time Craig arrived until he made that statement? What did Craig learn? How was Craig changed from the experience? How was Raina changed? How might these changes affect each in the future?
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the book, Craig is still uncertain about his beliefs. Craig tells Phil that he still believes in God but that there are too many contradictions in the church and the Bible. Examine the conversation between Craig and Phil. What does Craig'discovery regarding the contradictions in church and the Bible and how do they affect his beliefs.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Craig and Phil, as children and as adults.
This section contains 1,078 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)