|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Raina live?
2. What does Steve bring home for breakfast?
3. The author says that the cubby hole was filled with ____.
4. The snow will eventually turn to _____.
5. Raina discusses ____.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Craig and Raina find each other in the cafeteria?
2. Describe the opening scene with the brothers?
3. What is special about Christmas break?
4. Discuss Raina's letters to Craig. What do they contain?
5. Discuss the conversation between Craig and Judy, Raina's mother.
6. How do the boys feel about winter?
7. Discuss the conversation between Craig and his minister.
8. What activity occurs that makes Craig feel bad about hanging out with Raina and her friends?
9. Discuss the meeting between Craig and Raina.
10. How does Craig feel about church camp? How do Craig's feelings change over the years?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Thompson uses many flashbacks, particularly when telling tales about his childhood. Discuss the use of flashback in the storytelling process. Does each character give enough information to make the story relatable? If not, why? How do you think Gaiman creates a story within a story using flashback? Do you like the use of flashbacks? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Craig and Phil experienced sexual abuse as young children. Explain why Thompson glosses over the situation and the resulting effects of the abuse. Also discuss the situation and how it affected each character.
Essay Topic 3
Craig struggles with a great deal of shame and guilt. The shame and guilt originate from Craig's upbringing and effects his thoughts, feelings, and experiences. Discuss, in depth, Craig's issues with shame and guilt, what causes those issues, and how they might be dealt with in a positive way.
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)