|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Craig's minister also asks about Craig's plans to become a(n) _____.
2. Craig gets into trouble for ____.
3. What are the pair discussing?
4. Raina says she wants to skip going to _____.
5. Raina runs away but cannot meet Craig due to a _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes the boys to argue?
2. Why does Craig feel guilty about his relationship with Phil?
3. What is the result of the boys' argument?
4. How does Craig feel about singing as a form of praise? What else does Craig offer?
5. Discuss the challenge undertaken by Craig and Phil each winter. Who is the winner?
6. What is special about Christmas break?
7. What are Craig's feelings about Raina when they kiss?
8. Why does Craig hate school?
9. Describe the events at breakfast.
10. How does Craig feel about church camp? How do Craig's feelings change over the years?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Craig and Phil experienced sexual abuse as young children. Explain why Thompson glosses over the situation and the resulting effects of the abuse. Also discuss the situation and how it affected each character.
Essay Topic 2
Craig's visit to Michigan changed his life in a number of ways, from learning about a new family to exploring first love. During the stay, Craig says, "When I'd first arrived, we were full of restlessness and enthusiasm - awake to all sensation. The days inbetween wandered aimlessly and blended together - oblivious to any other world" (Chapter 7, p. 379). What had changed from the time Craig arrived until he made that statement? What did Craig learn? How was Craig changed from the experience? How was Raina changed? How might these changes affect each in the future?
Essay Topic 3
Popularity is a big issue for Craig. Craig never seems to fit in, no matter where he goes. Craig always feels different. The kids at school tease him mercilessly as do the kids at camp. Even Raina's friends do not seem to like Craig. Discuss Craig's lack of popularity. Compare it to Raina's outstanding popularity and discuss the reasons for each.
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)