|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Craig burn?
2. Raina says she wants to skip going to _____.
3. Craig meets a girl named _____.
4. What does Craig have for breakfast?
5. Raina and Craig admire the ____.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Craig handle being confronted about reading his Bible?
2. What are Craig's thoughts about Laura and her disability?
3. What are Craig's thoughts about living?
4. What is the result of the boys' argument?
5. Why does Craig hate school?
6. What causes the boys to argue?
7. How does Craig feel about church camp? How do Craig's feelings change over the years?
8. Discuss the issues faced by living in an old farmhouse.
9. Discuss the conversation between Craig and his minister.
10. Why does Craig feel guilty about his relationship with Phil?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Thompson uses many flashbacks, particularly when telling tales about his childhood. Discuss the use of flashback in the storytelling process. Does each character give enough information to make the story relatable? If not, why? How do you think Gaiman creates a story within a story using flashback? Do you like the use of flashbacks? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Church camp gets easier for Craig as he gets older. Examine the atmosphere at camp. Compare it to junior high and high school. Discuss what Craig does to feel a little less isolated. Also discuss the types of people Craig hangs out with and the activities they partake in while at camp.
Essay Topic 3
Craig and Phil experienced sexual abuse as young children. Explain why Thompson glosses over the situation and the resulting effects of the abuse. Also discuss the situation and how it affected each character.
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)