|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Richard give for leaving the South?
2. What does Richard think he needs to build a bridge of?
3. What is the name of Richard's foreman?
4. What is the name of the magazine H. L. Mencken edits?
5. Where does Richard find work?
Essay Topic 1
Look at the structure of the book.
1) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's ideas?
2) Examine the way Wright uses other people in the story to express his ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Why did Richard develop sympathies towards the Communist Party? How did Wright view Communist ideas later on in life?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the relationship between education and racist attitudes.
1) How has education played an important part in changing racial attitudes?
2) How did education in the past help to develop racial attitudes?
This section contains 970 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)