|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Yound accuse Swann of being?
2. What is the name of Richard's foreman?
3. What is Ross facing legal prosecution for?
4. Where does RIchard take a job?
5. What does Wright borrow from Falk?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Richard's white co-workers in the cafe shock him?
2. How do Richard's co-workers react when he tells them he is moving North?
3. What does Richard decide at the end of the book?
4. What does Richard realize as he stands in line at the relief station?
5. Why does Richard find Chicago so startling?
6. What problems does Richard face as publicity agent for the Federal Negro Theater?
7. Who was Marcus Garvey?
8. How does Richard borrow books from the white library?
9. Why does Richard want to read H.L Mencken?
10. Why does Shorty amuse Richard?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the relationship between education and racist attitudes.
1) How has education played an important part in changing racial attitudes?
2) How did education in the past help to develop racial attitudes?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the values of early 20th century America
1) How did the whites view blacks in the early 20th century?
2) What significant changes do you think occurred during this period that changed the way whites viewed blacks?
3) Does today's society share any values with early 20th century America?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the book.
1) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's ideas?
2) Examine the way Wright uses other people in the story to express his ideas.
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)