|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which two characters go to Chicago first?
2. What parade does Richard try to be part of?
3. What does Wright borrow from Falk?
4. What is Ross facing legal prosecution for?
5. Who is the only person among Richard's family in Chicago who does not fall ill?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Moss end up disgusting Richard?
2. What problems does Wright find in New York City?
3. How do Richard's co-workers react when he tells them he is moving North?
4. How does Richard borrow books from the white library?
5. Why does Bill terrify Richard?
6. In what way does Richard's situation take a turn for the worse when the Great Depression hits America?
7. Who was Marcus Garvey?
8. What does Richard realize as he stands in line at the relief station?
9. Why do the black Communists mock Richard?
10. Why don't Southern people like it when blacks move to Northern cities?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Wright's writing style. How would you describe the prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Wright's style give to his story?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the structure of the book.
1) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's ideas?
2) Examine the way Wright uses other people in the story to express his ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Why did Richard develop sympathies towards the Communist Party? How did Wright view Communist ideas later on in life?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)