|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Shorty willing to do for money?
2. Where does RIchard take a job?
3. What is Bill's favorite phrase?
4. Where does Richard move to?
5. What does Yound accuse Swann of being?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Richard decide at the end of the book?
2. How do Richard's white co-workers in the cafe shock him?
3. Why does Richard find Chicago so startling?
4. What does Richard realize as he stands in line at the relief station?
5. Who was Marcus Garvey?
6. Why do the black Communists mock Richard?
7. Why don't Southern people like it when blacks move to Northern cities?
8. What problems does Richard face as publicity agent for the Federal Negro Theater?
9. Why does Bill terrify Richard?
10. How do the white man and black man use Richard to help them move the liquor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine black masculinity.
1) In what ways did the whites oppress black masculinity?
2) How did the white man's oppression of black masculinity affect black men?
3) How have black men reacted to the oppression of their masculinity?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Wright's views on religion.
1) What does he mean by religion on a emotional level?
2) What does he mean by religion on an intellectual level?
3) Why does Wright accept God on both an emotional and intellectual level? Is it the same for everyone?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the religious connotations in the book.
1) How does Wright represent black people's relationship with Christianity?
2) Why does Sue change her Christian faith for Communism?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)