|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gives Richard a sly smile before Richard leaves work?
2. What depresses Wright about Chicago?
3. What reason does Richard give for leaving the South?
4. Where does Richard meet a young black man?
5. What is Wright fearful of doing at work?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Richard decide at the end of the book?
2. Who was Marcus Garvey?
3. Why don't Southern people like it when blacks move to Northern cities?
4. Why does Bill terrify Richard?
5. How does Richard borrow books from the white library?
6. Why does Mrs. Moss end up disgusting Richard?
7. What happens when Richard joins the May Day parade?
8. In what way does Richard's situation take a turn for the worse when the Great Depression hits America?
9. What problems does Richard face as publicity agent for the Federal Negro Theater?
10. How do the white man and black man use Richard to help them move the liquor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the relationship between education and racist attitudes.
1) How has education played an important part in changing racial attitudes?
2) How did education in the past help to develop racial attitudes?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Wright's views on religion.
1) What does he mean by religion on a emotional level?
2) What does he mean by religion on an intellectual level?
3) Why does Wright accept God on both an emotional and intellectual level? Is it the same for everyone?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the beatings Richard's family inflicted upon him. Why did Richard's family beat him so much? What effect did the beatings have on him? Why were such beating typical of that time period?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)