|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Richard say he feels like when a Jewish boy comes in to time how long it takes for him to clean?
2. What is the name of Richard's foreman?
3. What is Bill's favorite phrase?
4. What is Wright fearful of doing at work?
5. What does Richard say he wants his bridge of words to connect with?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Richard's white co-workers in the cafe shock him?
2. How do the white employers at the optical factory arrange a boxing match between Richard and Harrison?
3. Why don't Southern people like it when blacks move to Northern cities?
4. What problems does Richard face as publicity agent for the Federal Negro Theater?
5. What happens when Richard joins the May Day parade?
6. What does Richard decide at the end of the book?
7. Why does Bill terrify Richard?
8. How does Richard borrow books from the white library?
9. Why does Shorty amuse Richard?
10. Why does Richard find Chicago so startling?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine violence in the novel.
1) In what way does the violence play an important part in getting Wright's view across?
2) How do the students think the public reacted to the novel's violence when it was first published? How would the public react to such a book today?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the religious connotations in the book.
1) How does Wright represent black people's relationship with Christianity?
2) Why does Sue change her Christian faith for Communism?
Essay Topic 3
Pick a character from the novel and discuss his/her goals and motives. Does he/she achieve his/her motive? Does he/she share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do his/her goals clash with other characters? How do the characters' goals and motives affect their interactions with each other?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)