|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Wright fearful of doing at work?
2. Where does Richard find work?
3. What does the black comrade tell Richard would bolster his credibility?
4. Why does Richard wait two days before his departure to tell his boss that he is leaving?
5. What is Ross facing legal prosecution for?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the white man and black man use Richard to help them move the liquor?
2. Why does Mrs. Moss end up disgusting Richard?
3. Why do Richard's fellow comrades begins to shun him?
4. How does Richard borrow books from the white library?
5. Why does Shorty amuse Richard?
6. What does Richard realize as he stands in line at the relief station?
7. Why don't Southern people like it when blacks move to Northern cities?
8. Why do the black Communists mock Richard?
9. How do Richard's white co-workers in the cafe shock him?
10. How do Richard's co-workers react when he tells them he is moving North?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the whites oppression of black people.
1) In what way could it be said that it was to the whites' benefit that they kept the black people down?
2) How much of the oppression was pure racism and how much was it due to fear?
3) In what way could it be said that the equality has benefited society?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the differences between the Jim Crow system and slavery.
1) What were the differences between the Jim Crow system and slavery?
2) In what way does Wright present the Jim Crow system as hypocritical and no better than slavery?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the religious connotations in the book.
1) How does Wright represent black people's relationship with Christianity?
2) Why does Sue change her Christian faith for Communism?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)