|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Young's identification state he has escaped from?
2. What is Ross facing legal prosecution for?
3. What is the name of the John Reed Club magazine?
4. Why does Richard wait two days before his departure to tell his boss that he is leaving?
5. What does Richard need to do to to get the position at the post office?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Richard borrow books from the white library?
2. Why do Richard's fellow comrades begins to shun him?
3. Why does Richard want to read H.L Mencken?
4. In what way does Richard's situation take a turn for the worse when the Great Depression hits America?
5. Why don't Southern people like it when blacks move to Northern cities?
6. How do the white man and black man use Richard to help them move the liquor?
7. What does Richard decide at the end of the book?
8. Why does Mrs. Moss end up disgusting Richard?
9. How do Richard's white co-workers in the cafe shock him?
10. Why does Shorty amuse Richard?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the beatings Richard's family inflicted upon him. Why did Richard's family beat him so much? What effect did the beatings have on him? Why were such beating typical of that time period?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Wright's writing style. How would you describe the prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Wright's style give to his story?
Essay Topic 3
Pick one of the following characters and examine his/her influence on molding Richard's character.
1) Richard's mother
2) Richard's father
3) Richard's grandmother
4) Aunt Maggie
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)