|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Miss Moss' daughter?
2. What is the name of Richard's new landlady?
3. What does Richard need to do to to get the position at the post office?
4. Who does Richard write biographical sketches for?
5. Whose work does Wright want to read?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Shorty amuse Richard?
2. What problems does Richard face as publicity agent for the Federal Negro Theater?
3. How do the white employers at the optical factory arrange a boxing match between Richard and Harrison?
4. What happens when Richard joins the May Day parade?
5. Why do Richard's fellow comrades begins to shun him?
6. How do Richard's white co-workers in the cafe shock him?
7. Why does Richard want to read H.L Mencken?
8. Why do the black Communists mock Richard?
9. Why does Bill terrify Richard?
10. Who was Marcus Garvey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the book. Why do you think these themes are so important to the book? How does Wright use character and setting to express his themes?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the whites oppression of black people.
1) In what way could it be said that it was to the whites' benefit that they kept the black people down?
2) How much of the oppression was pure racism and how much was it due to fear?
3) In what way could it be said that the equality has benefited society?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the differences between the North and the South.
1) How did whites treat blacks differently in the South than they did in the North?
2) Why did black people stay in the South when people viewed it as so racist?
3) Why does Richard find life in the North just as unsatisfactory as he found life in the South?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)