|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Richard give for leaving the South?
2. What religion is Falk?
3. Where does RIchard take a job?
4. What is the name of Richard's foreman?
5. What does Richard think he needs to build a bridge of?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Richard's white co-workers in the cafe shock him?
2. How do Richard's co-workers react when he tells them he is moving North?
3. What does Richard decide at the end of the book?
4. Why does Shorty amuse Richard?
5. What does Richard realize as he stands in line at the relief station?
6. How do the white man and black man use Richard to help them move the liquor?
7. In what way does Richard's situation take a turn for the worse when the Great Depression hits America?
8. What problems does Richard face as publicity agent for the Federal Negro Theater?
9. Why does Richard find Chicago so startling?
10. Why does Mrs. Moss end up disgusting Richard?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the beatings Richard's family inflicted upon him. Why did Richard's family beat him so much? What effect did the beatings have on him? Why were such beating typical of that time period?
Essay Topic 2
Examine violence in the novel.
1) In what way does the violence play an important part in getting Wright's view across?
2) How do the students think the public reacted to the novel's violence when it was first published? How would the public react to such a book today?
Essay Topic 3
Examine black femininity.
1) In what did the whites oppress black femininity?
2) How did the white man's oppression of black femininity affect black women?
3) How have black women reacted to the oppression of their femininity?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)