|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the editorial attack?
2. Where does Richard find work?
3. What does Richard need to do to to get the position at the post office?
4. Who throws Richard out of the May Day parade?
5. What does Shorty allow a white man to do to him for a quarter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the white man and black man use Richard to help them move the liquor?
2. Why do Richard's fellow comrades begins to shun him?
3. Why does Bill terrify Richard?
4. How do Richard's white co-workers in the cafe shock him?
5. Why don't Southern people like it when blacks move to Northern cities?
6. What problems does Richard face as publicity agent for the Federal Negro Theater?
7. How does Richard borrow books from the white library?
8. What does Richard decide at the end of the book?
9. Why does Richard want to read H.L Mencken?
10. How do the white employers at the optical factory arrange a boxing match between Richard and Harrison?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the values of early 20th century America
1) How did the whites view blacks in the early 20th century?
2) What significant changes do you think occurred during this period that changed the way whites viewed blacks?
3) Does today's society share any values with early 20th century America?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the structure of the book.
1) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's ideas?
2) Examine the way Wright uses other people in the story to express his ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the beatings Richard's family inflicted upon him. Why did Richard's family beat him so much? What effect did the beatings have on him? Why were such beating typical of that time period?
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)