|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who throws Richard out of the May Day parade?
2. What political party are many of Richard's friends members of?
3. What depresses Wright about Chicago?
4. Who gives Richard a sly smile before Richard leaves work?
5. Whose work does Wright want to read?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Moss end up disgusting Richard?
2. What problems does Richard face as publicity agent for the Federal Negro Theater?
3. What does Richard realize as he stands in line at the relief station?
4. Why does Bill terrify Richard?
5. Who was Marcus Garvey?
6. Why does Richard want to read H.L Mencken?
7. How do the white employers at the optical factory arrange a boxing match between Richard and Harrison?
8. What problems does Wright find in New York City?
9. How do the white man and black man use Richard to help them move the liquor?
10. Why don't Southern people like it when blacks move to Northern cities?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the religious connotations in the book.
1) How does Wright represent black people's relationship with Christianity?
2) Why does Sue change her Christian faith for Communism?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the book. Why do you think these themes are so important to the book? How does Wright use character and setting to express his themes?
Essay Topic 3
Pick one of the following characters and examine his/her influence on molding Richard's character.
1) Richard's mother
2) Richard's father
3) Richard's grandmother
4) Aunt Maggie
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)