|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Richard refuse to accept from a white customer?
2. What does the Party charge Ross with?
3. What do the black Communists brand Wright as?
4. Where does Richard meet a young black man?
5. What is the name of the magazine H. L. Mencken edits?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why don't Southern people like it when blacks move to Northern cities?
2. What does Richard realize as he stands in line at the relief station?
3. What problems does Richard face as publicity agent for the Federal Negro Theater?
4. Why does Bill terrify Richard?
5. Who was Marcus Garvey?
6. Why do the black Communists mock Richard?
7. What does Richard decide at the end of the book?
8. In what way does Richard's situation take a turn for the worse when the Great Depression hits America?
9. How do Richard's co-workers react when he tells them he is moving North?
10. Why does Mrs. Moss end up disgusting Richard?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the differences between how Wright represents white characters and how he represents black characters.
1) In what way are Wright's representations of white characters unsympathetic? Are his representations too unsympathetic?
2) In what way does Wright suggest that the way a white person treats a black person directly influences some of the black people's illegal behavior? Is this an accurate representation?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the beatings Richard's family inflicted upon him. Why did Richard's family beat him so much? What effect did the beatings have on him? Why were such beating typical of that time period?
Essay Topic 3
Examine black femininity.
1) In what did the whites oppress black femininity?
2) How did the white man's oppression of black femininity affect black women?
3) How have black women reacted to the oppression of their femininity?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)