|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Shorty's job at the optical shop?
2. What reason does Shorty give for not joining Richard?
3. Where does RIchard take a job?
4. Where does Richard meet a young black man?
5. Who does Richard find is trying to oust him from his position at the Federal Negro Theater?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the black Communists mock Richard?
2. Why does Mrs. Moss end up disgusting Richard?
3. Why does Richard find Chicago so startling?
4. What happens when Richard joins the May Day parade?
5. Why does Bill terrify Richard?
6. Why do Richard's fellow comrades begins to shun him?
7. How do the white employers at the optical factory arrange a boxing match between Richard and Harrison?
8. How do Richard's white co-workers in the cafe shock him?
9. Why don't Southern people like it when blacks move to Northern cities?
10. Why does Shorty amuse Richard?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the beatings Richard's family inflicted upon him. Why did Richard's family beat him so much? What effect did the beatings have on him? Why were such beating typical of that time period?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the differences between the Jim Crow system and slavery.
1) What were the differences between the Jim Crow system and slavery?
2) In what way does Wright present the Jim Crow system as hypocritical and no better than slavery?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Wright's writing style. How would you describe the prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Wright's style give to his story?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)