|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ross facing legal prosecution for?
2. Where does Richard work with restless boys?
3. What role does Richard get at the Federal Relief Theater?
4. Where do Richard and his friend find bootleg liquor?
5. What does Wright borrow from Falk?
Short Essay Questions
1. What problems does Wright find in New York City?
2. How do Richard's co-workers react when he tells them he is moving North?
3. Why do the black Communists mock Richard?
4. Who was Marcus Garvey?
5. Why don't Southern people like it when blacks move to Northern cities?
6. What does Richard realize as he stands in line at the relief station?
7. Why does Mrs. Moss end up disgusting Richard?
8. Why does Richard find Chicago so startling?
9. What happens when Richard joins the May Day parade?
10. In what way does Richard's situation take a turn for the worse when the Great Depression hits America?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the whites oppression of black people.
1) In what way could it be said that it was to the whites' benefit that they kept the black people down?
2) How much of the oppression was pure racism and how much was it due to fear?
3) In what way could it be said that the equality has benefited society?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the structure of the book.
1) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's ideas?
2) Examine the way Wright uses other people in the story to express his ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Pick one of the following characters and examine his/her influence on molding Richard's character.
1) Richard's mother
2) Richard's father
3) Richard's grandmother
4) Aunt Maggie
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)