|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Bill's favorite phrase?
2. Where does Richard move to?
3. What is Wright fearful of doing at work?
4. What character working in the hospital basement scares Richard?
5. What style of poem does Wright write for the magazine?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Richard borrow books from the white library?
2. What problems does Richard face as publicity agent for the Federal Negro Theater?
3. What problems does Wright find in New York City?
4. How do the white employers at the optical factory arrange a boxing match between Richard and Harrison?
5. What does Richard realize as he stands in line at the relief station?
6. What happens when Richard joins the May Day parade?
7. Why does Mrs. Moss end up disgusting Richard?
8. How do the white man and black man use Richard to help them move the liquor?
9. How do Richard's co-workers react when he tells them he is moving North?
10. Who was Marcus Garvey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the whites oppression of black people.
1) In what way could it be said that it was to the whites' benefit that they kept the black people down?
2) How much of the oppression was pure racism and how much was it due to fear?
3) In what way could it be said that the equality has benefited society?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the values of early 20th century America
1) How did the whites view blacks in the early 20th century?
2) What significant changes do you think occurred during this period that changed the way whites viewed blacks?
3) Does today's society share any values with early 20th century America?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Wright's views on religion.
1) What does he mean by religion on a emotional level?
2) What does he mean by religion on an intellectual level?
3) Why does Wright accept God on both an emotional and intellectual level? Is it the same for everyone?
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)