|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Richard work with restless boys?
2. What does Shorty allow a white man to do to him for a quarter?
3. What event causes Richard to lose a lot of his hours at the post office?
4. What is Bill's favorite phrase?
5. What is Shorty willing to do for money?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Shorty amuse Richard?
2. What problems does Richard face as publicity agent for the Federal Negro Theater?
3. How do the white employers at the optical factory arrange a boxing match between Richard and Harrison?
4. Why don't Southern people like it when blacks move to Northern cities?
5. Why do Richard's fellow comrades begins to shun him?
6. Why does Richard find Chicago so startling?
7. How do the white man and black man use Richard to help them move the liquor?
8. How do Richard's co-workers react when he tells them he is moving North?
9. In what way does Richard's situation take a turn for the worse when the Great Depression hits America?
10. What does Richard realize as he stands in line at the relief station?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Look at the structure of the book.
1) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's ideas?
2) Examine the way Wright uses other people in the story to express his ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the book. Why do you think these themes are so important to the book? How does Wright use character and setting to express his themes?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the differences between the North and the South.
1) How did whites treat blacks differently in the South than they did in the North?
2) Why did black people stay in the South when people viewed it as so racist?
3) Why does Richard find life in the North just as unsatisfactory as he found life in the South?
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)