|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Shorty give for not joining Richard?
2. What is Mencken famous as?
3. What religion is Falk?
4. What is Shorty's job at the optical shop?
5. Where does Richard find work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bill terrify Richard?
2. What does Richard realize as he stands in line at the relief station?
3. What does Richard decide at the end of the book?
4. Why does Richard find Chicago so startling?
5. Why do Richard's fellow comrades begins to shun him?
6. Why don't Southern people like it when blacks move to Northern cities?
7. Why does Shorty amuse Richard?
8. What problems does Richard face as publicity agent for the Federal Negro Theater?
9. Why does Mrs. Moss end up disgusting Richard?
10. How do Richard's co-workers react when he tells them he is moving North?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the differences between the North and the South.
1) How did whites treat blacks differently in the South than they did in the North?
2) Why did black people stay in the South when people viewed it as so racist?
3) Why does Richard find life in the North just as unsatisfactory as he found life in the South?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Wright's views on religion.
1) What does he mean by religion on a emotional level?
2) What does he mean by religion on an intellectual level?
3) Why does Wright accept God on both an emotional and intellectual level? Is it the same for everyone?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the beatings Richard's family inflicted upon him. Why did Richard's family beat him so much? What effect did the beatings have on him? Why were such beating typical of that time period?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)