|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Richard wait two days before his departure to tell his boss that he is leaving?
2. Who does Richard write biographical sketches for?
3. What is Shorty willing to do for money?
4. What is Wright fearful of doing at work?
5. What does Shorty allow a white man to do to him for a quarter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine violence in the novel.
1) In what way does the violence play an important part in getting Wright's view across?
2) How do the students think the public reacted to the novel's violence when it was first published? How would the public react to such a book today?
Essay Topic 2
Examine black femininity.
1) In what did the whites oppress black femininity?
2) How did the white man's oppression of black femininity affect black women?
3) How have black women reacted to the oppression of their femininity?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the book. Why do you think these themes are so important to the book? How does Wright use character and setting to express his themes?
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)