|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Richard's new landlady?
2. Where do the Hoffmans operate their store?
3. What reason does Richard give for leaving the South?
4. Whose work does Wright want to read?
5. What is the name of Richard's foreman?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the white employers at the optical factory arrange a boxing match between Richard and Harrison?
2. What happens when Richard joins the May Day parade?
3. What does Richard realize as he stands in line at the relief station?
4. Why does Shorty amuse Richard?
5. What problems does Wright find in New York City?
6. How do Richard's white co-workers in the cafe shock him?
7. How do Richard's co-workers react when he tells them he is moving North?
8. Why don't Southern people like it when blacks move to Northern cities?
9. Why does Richard want to read H.L Mencken?
10. What problems does Richard face as publicity agent for the Federal Negro Theater?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the values of early 20th century America
1) How did the whites view blacks in the early 20th century?
2) What significant changes do you think occurred during this period that changed the way whites viewed blacks?
3) Does today's society share any values with early 20th century America?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the differences between how Wright represents white characters and how he represents black characters.
1) In what way are Wright's representations of white characters unsympathetic? Are his representations too unsympathetic?
2) In what way does Wright suggest that the way a white person treats a black person directly influences some of the black people's illegal behavior? Is this an accurate representation?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the connotations of the word "nigger."
1) What is its original meaning and what has it come to mean?
2) Why is it now considered so wrong to use?
3) Do you think the word has become too powerful?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)