|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Richard not find Bess attractive?
2. Who is the only person among Richard's family in Chicago who does not fall ill?
3. What political party are many of Richard's friends members of?
4. Where does Young's identification state he has escaped from?
5. What is the name of Miss Moss' daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What problems does Wright find in New York City?
2. How do Richard's white co-workers in the cafe shock him?
3. Why do Richard's fellow comrades begins to shun him?
4. Why does Richard find Chicago so startling?
5. How does Richard borrow books from the white library?
6. How do the white employers at the optical factory arrange a boxing match between Richard and Harrison?
7. Why does Shorty amuse Richard?
8. What problems does Richard face as publicity agent for the Federal Negro Theater?
9. What does Richard realize as he stands in line at the relief station?
10. How do the white man and black man use Richard to help them move the liquor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick one of the following characters and examine his/her influence on molding Richard's character.
1) Richard's mother
2) Richard's father
3) Richard's grandmother
4) Aunt Maggie
Essay Topic 2
Examine Wright's views on religion.
1) What does he mean by religion on a emotional level?
2) What does he mean by religion on an intellectual level?
3) Why does Wright accept God on both an emotional and intellectual level? Is it the same for everyone?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the relationship between education and racist attitudes.
1) How has education played an important part in changing racial attitudes?
2) How did education in the past help to develop racial attitudes?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)