|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event causes Richard to lose a lot of his hours at the post office?
2. What is the name of Miss Moss' daughter?
3. Where does Richard wait in line in this chapter?
4. What is Bill's favorite phrase?
5. Who gives Richard a sly smile before Richard leaves work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Shorty amuse Richard?
2. In what way does Richard's situation take a turn for the worse when the Great Depression hits America?
3. Why does Richard want to read H.L Mencken?
4. Who was Marcus Garvey?
5. How do the white man and black man use Richard to help them move the liquor?
6. Why do Richard's fellow comrades begins to shun him?
7. How do Richard's co-workers react when he tells them he is moving North?
8. What happens when Richard joins the May Day parade?
9. What problems does Wright find in New York City?
10. Why don't Southern people like it when blacks move to Northern cities?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the religious connotations in the book.
1) How does Wright represent black people's relationship with Christianity?
2) Why does Sue change her Christian faith for Communism?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the connotations of the word "nigger."
1) What is its original meaning and what has it come to mean?
2) Why is it now considered so wrong to use?
3) Do you think the word has become too powerful?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the differences between the North and the South.
1) How did whites treat blacks differently in the South than they did in the North?
2) Why did black people stay in the South when people viewed it as so racist?
3) Why does Richard find life in the North just as unsatisfactory as he found life in the South?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)