|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Richard think he needs to build a bridge of?
2. What character working in the hospital basement scares Richard?
3. Where do the Hoffmans operate their store?
4. What does the black comrade tell Richard would bolster his credibility?
5. Who does Richard write biographical sketches for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Richard's fellow comrades begins to shun him?
2. Why don't Southern people like it when blacks move to Northern cities?
3. How do Richard's white co-workers in the cafe shock him?
4. Who was Marcus Garvey?
5. What problems does Richard face as publicity agent for the Federal Negro Theater?
6. How do the white man and black man use Richard to help them move the liquor?
7. Why does Bill terrify Richard?
8. Why does Shorty amuse Richard?
9. What happens when Richard joins the May Day parade?
10. Why does Mrs. Moss end up disgusting Richard?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the whites oppression of black people.
1) In what way could it be said that it was to the whites' benefit that they kept the black people down?
2) How much of the oppression was pure racism and how much was it due to fear?
3) In what way could it be said that the equality has benefited society?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Wright's views on religion.
1) What does he mean by religion on a emotional level?
2) What does he mean by religion on an intellectual level?
3) Why does Wright accept God on both an emotional and intellectual level? Is it the same for everyone?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the book.
1) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's ideas?
2) Examine the way Wright uses other people in the story to express his ideas.
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)