Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the job include?
2. What is the title of the short story that Richard writes?
3. Where does Nathan work as a night porter?
4. Who does the family spend time with on the way to Arkansas?
5. What does Richard pawn in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Richard want to read H.L Mencken?
2. Why does Richard get baptized in Chapter 6?
3. Why don't Southern people like it when blacks move to Northern cities?
4. Where does Richard first find his love for books?
5. Why does Richard continue working for the second white family, even though he dislikes them?
6. How do Pease and Reynolds treat Richard at the optical factory?
7. Why do Richard's fellow comrades begins to shun him?
8. What does Richard think about the popular contention that black people lead passionate, emotional lives?
9. What happens when Richard makes a delivery to a white neighborhood in Chapter 9?
10. Who was Marcus Garvey?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the values of early 20th century America
1) How did the whites view blacks in the early 20th century?
2) What significant changes do you think occurred during this period that changed the way whites viewed blacks?
3) Does today's society share any values with early 20th century America?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the religious connotations in the book.
1) How does Wright represent black people's relationship with Christianity?
2) Why does Sue change her Christian faith for Communism?
Essay Topic 3
Examine black femininity.
1) In what did the whites oppress black femininity?
2) How did the white man's oppression of black femininity affect black women?
3) How have black women reacted to the oppression of their femininity?
This section contains 1,541 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)