|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Richard's boss offer him in the storeroom?
2. What information that Richard gives Uncle Tom does Uncle Tom say is not accurate?
3. What do Wright and his co workers do to steal $200?
4. What does Ella think her son's writing will lead people to think he has?
5. Which of the following does Richard set fire to?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Richard's ability to read and write help him in Chapter 3?
2. What does the family decide is the best way to care for Richard and his brother?
3. Why does Richard continue working for the second white family, even though he dislikes them?
4. What does Richard do to raise money to move away from the South?
5. Why does Richard threaten Addie with a knife in Chapter 4?
6. Why do Richard's fellow comrades begins to shun him?
7. Why don't Southern people like it when blacks move to Northern cities?
8. Why does Richard find Chicago so startling?
9. What job does Richard find in Chapter 5?
10. Why does Bill terrify Richard?
Essay Topic 1
Examine the relationship between education and racist attitudes.
1) How has education played an important part in changing racial attitudes?
2) How did education in the past help to develop racial attitudes?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the whites oppression of black people.
1) In what way could it be said that it was to the whites' benefit that they kept the black people down?
2) How much of the oppression was pure racism and how much was it due to fear?
3) In what way could it be said that the equality has benefited society?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the differences between how Wright represents white characters and how he represents black characters.
1) In what way are Wright's representations of white characters unsympathetic? Are his representations too unsympathetic?
2) In what way does Wright suggest that the way a white person treats a black person directly influences some of the black people's illegal behavior? Is this an accurate representation?
This section contains 1,536 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)