|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Richard threaten Addie with at home?
2. Who does Richard persuade to publish his short story?
3. What is Richard able to steal from the next white family he works for?
4. On what level does religion interest Richard?
5. What does Richard typically eat for breakfast?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Wright think about his writing career in retrospect?
2. Where does Richard first find his love for books?
3. Why does Richard threaten Addie with a knife in Chapter 4?
4. How does Richard's mother punish him for burning down the house?
5. What does the family decide is the best way to care for Richard and his brother?
6. Why does Richard get baptized in Chapter 6?
7. How does Richard's ability to read and write help him in Chapter 3?
8. What does Richard think about the popular contention that black people lead passionate, emotional lives?
9. Why can Richard not keep his promise to his mother not to fight white children?
10. Why does Richard continue working for the second white family, even though he dislikes them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did Richard develop sympathies towards the Communist Party? How did Wright view Communist ideas later on in life?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the relationship between education and racist attitudes.
1) How has education played an important part in changing racial attitudes?
2) How did education in the past help to develop racial attitudes?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the values of early 20th century America
1) How did the whites view blacks in the early 20th century?
2) What significant changes do you think occurred during this period that changed the way whites viewed blacks?
3) Does today's society share any values with early 20th century America?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)