|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Richard have to fight Uncle Tom off with?
2. Where does Richard take a job at the end of the summer?
3. Why can Richard not write his own speech at his graduation?
4. Who beats Richard until he loses consciousness?
5. What is Richard able to steal from the next white family he works for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Richard think about the popular contention that black people lead passionate, emotional lives?
2. Why does Granny beat Richard with a wet towel?
3. How does Richard's boss respond when Richard tells him he was bitten by his dog?
4. What does Richard do with the money he steals?
5. Why does Richard hang the kitten?
6. How does Richard's mother punish him for burning down the house?
7. Why does the schoolteacher have to move out of Granny's house?
8. What does Richard learn about the brother of one of his classmates?
9. What job does Richard find in Chapter 5?
10. How do Pease and Reynolds treat Richard at the optical factory?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did Richard develop sympathies towards the Communist Party? How did Wright view Communist ideas later on in life?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the book. Why do you think these themes are so important to the book? How does Wright use character and setting to express his themes?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the differences between the North and the South.
1) How did whites treat blacks differently in the South than they did in the North?
2) Why did black people stay in the South when people viewed it as so racist?
3) Why does Richard find life in the North just as unsatisfactory as he found life in the South?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)