|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the principal think he will keep Richard from doing if he does not read his speech?
2. Which of the following does Richard set fire to?
3. Where do Richard and his family move to after the house burns down?
4. Where does Richard work the following summer?
5. What does Richard typically eat for breakfast?
Short Essay Questions
1. What awkward question does Richard's prospective white employer ask him?
2. Why does Richard hang the kitten?
3. Why does Richard think Grandpa is so bitter?
4. What happens when Richard makes a delivery to a white neighborhood in Chapter 9?
5. How do people respond to Richard's ambitions to become a writer in Chapter 7?
6. What does Wright think about his writing career in retrospect?
7. What does Richard do after he has read his speech at graduation?
8. What advice does Grigg offer Richard?
9. What does Richard realize as he stands in line at the relief station?
10. Why does Bill terrify Richard?
Essay Topic 1
Pick a character from the novel and discuss his/her goals and motives. Does he/she achieve his/her motive? Does he/she share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do his/her goals clash with other characters? How do the characters' goals and motives affect their interactions with each other?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the book. Why do you think these themes are so important to the book? How does Wright use character and setting to express his themes?
Essay Topic 3
Why did Richard develop sympathies towards the Communist Party? How did Wright view Communist ideas later on in life?
This section contains 1,513 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)