|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what level does religion interest Richard?
2. When does the policeman say Richard should not make deliveries to white neighborhoods?
3. Why did the whites kill the black boy?
4. What does Richard do in the hotel?
5. Who does Richard persuade to publish his short story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What job does Richard find in Chapter 5?
2. Why can Richard not believe in God?
3. What awkward question does Richard's prospective white employer ask him?
4. What does Richard eat for his meals in Jackson?
5. Why does the schoolteacher have to move out of Granny's house?
6. Why does Richard think Grandpa is so bitter?
7. What mistake does Granny make at the end of Chapter 4?
8. How do people respond to Richard's ambitions to become a writer in Chapter 7?
9. What does Richard do with the money he steals?
10. What does the family decide is the best way to care for Richard and his brother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the beatings Richard's family inflicted upon him. Why did Richard's family beat him so much? What effect did the beatings have on him? Why were such beating typical of that time period?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the relationship between education and racist attitudes.
1) How has education played an important part in changing racial attitudes?
2) How did education in the past help to develop racial attitudes?
Essay Topic 3
Examine violence in the novel.
1) In what way does the violence play an important part in getting Wright's view across?
2) How do the students think the public reacted to the novel's violence when it was first published? How would the public react to such a book today?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)