|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Granny inform that Richard has seen an angel?
2. What do Wright and his co workers do to steal $200?
3. Who is Granny renting a room to?
4. Who does Richard say he is more interested in than the church elder's words?
5. Who does Richard have to write to for help?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Richard do after he has read his speech at graduation?
2. Why can Richard not keep his promise to his mother not to fight white children?
3. How does Richard's ability to read and write help him in Chapter 3?
4. How does Richard burn down his grandparents' house?
5. Why does Granny beat Richard with a wet towel?
6. How does Richard's mother punish him for burning down the house?
7. What happens when Richard makes a delivery to a white neighborhood in Chapter 9?
8. What does Richard eat for his meals in Jackson?
9. How do people respond to Richard's ambitions to become a writer in Chapter 7?
10. What awkward question does Richard's prospective white employer ask him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the book. Why do you think these themes are so important to the book? How does Wright use character and setting to express his themes?
Essay Topic 2
Examine black femininity.
1) In what did the whites oppress black femininity?
2) How did the white man's oppression of black femininity affect black women?
3) How have black women reacted to the oppression of their femininity?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the values of early 20th century America
1) How did the whites view blacks in the early 20th century?
2) What significant changes do you think occurred during this period that changed the way whites viewed blacks?
3) Does today's society share any values with early 20th century America?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)