|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Richard able to steal from the next white family he works for?
2. What does Richard start selling to earn money?
3. Where does Richard take a job at the end of the summer?
4. What does Richard see in the storeroom on the floor?
5. When does the policeman say Richard should not make deliveries to white neighborhoods?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Richard get baptized in Chapter 6?
2. How does Granny injure herself in Chapter 5?
3. Why does Richard think Grandpa is so bitter?
4. What does Wright think about his writing career in retrospect?
5. How does Richard cut his ear?
6. What does Richard learn about the brother of one of his classmates?
7. Why can Richard not keep his promise to his mother not to fight white children?
8. Why does Richard think racism encourages theft?
9. Why does Richard continue working for the second white family, even though he dislikes them?
10. What mistake does Granny make at the end of Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the beatings Richard's family inflicted upon him. Why did Richard's family beat him so much? What effect did the beatings have on him? Why were such beating typical of that time period?
Essay Topic 2
Examine violence in the novel.
1) In what way does the violence play an important part in getting Wright's view across?
2) How do the students think the public reacted to the novel's violence when it was first published? How would the public react to such a book today?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Wright's writing style. How would you describe the prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Wright's style give to his story?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)