|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Richard tell the woman he wants to be?
2. What does Richard neglect to call one of the white youths?
3. Why do Pease and Reynolds refuse to train Richard on the optic machines?
4. Why does Granny refuse to pay for Richard's school books?
5. Who does RIchard say is the person who encourages him to keep writing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the family decide is the best way to care for Richard and his brother?
2. Why does Richard fight his Uncle Tom?
3. Why does Richard threaten Addie with a knife in Chapter 4?
4. Why does Richard get baptized in Chapter 6?
5. What happens when Richard makes a delivery to a white neighborhood in Chapter 9?
6. Why does Richard think Grandpa is so bitter?
7. Where does Richard first find his love for books?
8. What happens between the white security guard and Richard in Chapter 10?
9. What does Richard do with the money he steals?
10. How does Richard's ability to read and write help him in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick a character from the novel and discuss his/her goals and motives. Does he/she achieve his/her motive? Does he/she share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do his/her goals clash with other characters? How do the characters' goals and motives affect their interactions with each other?
Essay Topic 2
Examine black masculinity.
1) In what ways did the whites oppress black masculinity?
2) How did the white man's oppression of black masculinity affect black men?
3) How have black men reacted to the oppression of their masculinity?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the differences between the Jim Crow system and slavery.
1) What were the differences between the Jim Crow system and slavery?
2) In what way does Wright present the Jim Crow system as hypocritical and no better than slavery?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)