|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the job include?
2. What is the title of the short story that Richard writes?
3. Where does Nathan work as a night porter?
4. Who does the family spend time with on the way to Arkansas?
5. What does Richard pawn in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Richard want to read H.L Mencken?
2. Why does Richard get baptized in Chapter 6?
3. Why don't Southern people like it when blacks move to Northern cities?
4. Where does Richard first find his love for books?
5. Why does Richard continue working for the second white family, even though he dislikes them?
6. How do Pease and Reynolds treat Richard at the optical factory?
7. Why do Richard's fellow comrades begins to shun him?
8. What does Richard think about the popular contention that black people lead passionate, emotional lives?
9. What happens when Richard makes a delivery to a white neighborhood in Chapter 9?
10. Who was Marcus Garvey?
Essay Topic 1
Examine the beatings Richard's family inflicted upon him. Why did Richard's family beat him so much? What effect did the beatings have on him? Why were such beating typical of that time period?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Wright's views on religion.
1) What does he mean by religion on a emotional level?
2) What does he mean by religion on an intellectual level?
3) Why does Wright accept God on both an emotional and intellectual level? Is it the same for everyone?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Wright's writing style. How would you describe the prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Wright's style give to his story?
This section contains 1,541 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)