|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Richard have to fight Uncle Tom off with?
2. Who does Richard see beat a black woman?
3. What can Richard now do with his class mates?
4. What do Wright and his co workers do to steal $200?
5. How does Griggs know Richard?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Richard dislike his job with the white family?
2. How does Richard's ability to read and write help him in Chapter 3?
3. Why does Richard fight his Uncle Tom?
4. How does Richard's mother punish him for burning down the house?
5. What mistake does Granny make at the end of Chapter 4?
6. Why does Richard think Grandpa is so bitter?
7. What awkward question does Richard's prospective white employer ask him?
8. Why does the schoolteacher have to move out of Granny's house?
9. Why does Richard continue working for the second white family, even though he dislikes them?
10. What does Richard do with the money he steals?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick one of the following characters and examine his/her influence on molding Richard's character.
1) Richard's mother
2) Richard's father
3) Richard's grandmother
4) Aunt Maggie
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the values of early 20th century America
1) How did the whites view blacks in the early 20th century?
2) What significant changes do you think occurred during this period that changed the way whites viewed blacks?
3) Does today's society share any values with early 20th century America?
Essay Topic 3
Pick a character from the novel and discuss his/her goals and motives. Does he/she achieve his/her motive? Does he/she share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do his/her goals clash with other characters? How do the characters' goals and motives affect their interactions with each other?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)