|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the family spend time with on the way to Arkansas?
2. What does Granny think Richard has said?
3. Who is Granny renting a room to?
4. What does Richard do to stop feeling so hungry?
5. What does Brother Mance sell?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Richard burn down his grandparents' house?
2. Why does Richard threaten Addie with a knife in Chapter 4?
3. What happens when Richard gets a flat tire on his bicycle?
4. Why does Richard dislike his job with the white family?
5. Why can Richard not keep his promise to his mother not to fight white children?
6. How does Granny injure herself in Chapter 5?
7. What does Richard do to raise money to move away from the South?
8. What does Richard do after he has read his speech at graduation?
9. What does Wright think about his writing career in retrospect?
10. How does Richard cut his ear?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the religious connotations in the book.
1) How does Wright represent black people's relationship with Christianity?
2) Why does Sue change her Christian faith for Communism?
Essay Topic 2
Examine black masculinity.
1) In what ways did the whites oppress black masculinity?
2) How did the white man's oppression of black masculinity affect black men?
3) How have black men reacted to the oppression of their masculinity?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss differences between the novel and autobiographical formats. What are the main elements of a novel? What are the main elements of an autobiography? What can Wright not express in an autobiography that he can in a novel? How does Wright use these limitations to his advantage?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)