Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the job include?
2. What is the title of the short story that Richard writes?
3. Where does Nathan work as a night porter?
4. Who does the family spend time with on the way to Arkansas?
5. What does Richard pawn in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Richard want to read H.L Mencken?
2. Why does Richard get baptized in Chapter 6?
3. Why don't Southern people like it when blacks move to Northern cities?
4. Where does Richard first find his love for books?
5. Why does Richard continue working for the second white family, even though he dislikes them?
6. How do Pease and Reynolds treat Richard at the optical factory?
7. Why do Richard's fellow comrades begins to shun him?
8. What does Richard think about the popular contention that black people lead passionate, emotional lives?
9. What happens when Richard makes a delivery to a white neighborhood in Chapter 9?
10. Who was Marcus Garvey?
Essay Topic 1
Examine the whites oppression of black people.
1) In what way could it be said that it was to the whites' benefit that they kept the black people down?
2) How much of the oppression was pure racism and how much was it due to fear?
3) In what way could it be said that the equality has benefited society?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the book. Why do you think these themes are so important to the book? How does Wright use character and setting to express his themes?
Essay Topic 3
Pick a character from the novel and discuss his/her goals and motives. Does he/she achieve his/her motive? Does he/she share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do his/her goals clash with other characters? How do the characters' goals and motives affect their interactions with each other?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)