Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the job include?
2. What is the title of the short story that Richard writes?
3. Where does Nathan work as a night porter?
4. Who does the family spend time with on the way to Arkansas?
5. What does Richard pawn in this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Richard want to read H.L Mencken?
2. Why does Richard get baptized in Chapter 6?
3. Why don't Southern people like it when blacks move to Northern cities?
4. Where does Richard first find his love for books?
5. Why does Richard continue working for the second white family, even though he dislikes them?
6. How do Pease and Reynolds treat Richard at the optical factory?
7. Why do Richard's fellow comrades begins to shun him?
8. What does Richard think about the popular contention that black people lead passionate, emotional lives?
9. What happens when Richard makes a delivery to a white neighborhood in Chapter 9?
10. Who was Marcus Garvey?
Essay Topic 1
Pick one of the following characters and examine his/her influence on molding Richard's character.
1) Richard's mother
2) Richard's father
3) Richard's grandmother
4) Aunt Maggie
Essay Topic 2
Compare the differences between the North and the South.
1) How did whites treat blacks differently in the South than they did in the North?
2) Why did black people stay in the South when people viewed it as so racist?
3) Why does Richard find life in the North just as unsatisfactory as he found life in the South?
Essay Topic 3
Examine violence in the novel.
1) In what way does the violence play an important part in getting Wright's view across?
2) How do the students think the public reacted to the novel's violence when it was first published? How would the public react to such a book today?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)