|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Brother Mance sell?
2. What does Richard refuse from his neighbors?
3. What kind of weapon does Richard hide under his pillow?
4. What does Ella work as?
5. What kind of school does Richard start attending?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Richard stop selling the newspaper?
2. Why does Richard threaten Addie with a knife in Chapter 4?
3. Why can Richard not keep his promise to his mother not to fight white children?
4. Why do the black Communists mock Richard?
5. How do the white man and black man use Richard to help them move the liquor?
6. What happens when Richard gets a flat tire on his bicycle?
7. What problems does Wright find in New York City?
8. How does Richard cut his ear?
9. Why does Richard think Grandpa is so bitter?
10. What happens when Richard joins the May Day parade?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Wright's views on religion.
1) What does he mean by religion on a emotional level?
2) What does he mean by religion on an intellectual level?
3) Why does Wright accept God on both an emotional and intellectual level? Is it the same for everyone?
Essay Topic 2
Why did Richard develop sympathies towards the Communist Party? How did Wright view Communist ideas later on in life?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the book. Why do you think these themes are so important to the book? How does Wright use character and setting to express his themes?
This section contains 1,571 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)