Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Maggie live?
2. Why does Richard hesitate in engaging in thievery in the hotel?
3. What is the name of the book the school teacher is reading?
4. What is the title of the short story that Richard writes?
5. What does Richard have to fight Uncle Tom off with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Richard eat for his meals in Jackson?
2. What happens between the white security guard and Richard in Chapter 10?
3. What does the family decide is the best way to care for Richard and his brother?
4. Why does Bill terrify Richard?
5. What advice does Grigg offer Richard?
6. How do people respond to Richard's ambitions to become a writer in Chapter 7?
7. Where does Richard first find his love for books?
8. Why does Richard stop selling the newspaper?
9. Who was Marcus Garvey?
10. What does Richard do after he has read his speech at graduation?
Examine black femininity.
1) In what did the whites oppress black femininity?
2) How did the white man's oppression of black femininity affect black women?
3) How have black women reacted to the oppression of their femininity?
Examine the differences between how Wright represents white characters and how he represents black characters.
1) In what way are Wright's representations of white characters unsympathetic? Are his representations too unsympathetic?
2) In what way does Wright suggest that the way a white person treats a black person directly influences some of the black people's illegal behavior? Is this an accurate representation?
Why did Richard develop sympathies towards the Communist Party? How did Wright view Communist ideas later on in life?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)