|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does one boy claim gonorrhea is?
2. What does Richard refuse from his neighbors?
3. In what way is Richard related to Maggie?
4. What does Richard suffer from in Granny's house at night?
5. What part of Arkansas does Maggie live in?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Granny beat Richard with a wet towel?
2. What advice does Grigg offer Richard?
3. What does Wright think about his writing career in retrospect?
4. Why does Richard dislike his job with the white family?
5. What mistake does Granny make at the end of Chapter 4?
6. What does Richard do to raise money to move away from the South?
7. Why can Richard not keep his promise to his mother not to fight white children?
8. What happens between the white security guard and Richard in Chapter 10?
9. Why does Richard fight his Uncle Tom?
10. Why does Richard stop selling the newspaper?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the relationship between education and racist attitudes.
1) How has education played an important part in changing racial attitudes?
2) How did education in the past help to develop racial attitudes?
Essay Topic 2
Pick one of the following characters and examine his/her influence on molding Richard's character.
1) Richard's mother
2) Richard's father
3) Richard's grandmother
4) Aunt Maggie
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the connotations of the word "nigger."
1) What is its original meaning and what has it come to mean?
2) Why is it now considered so wrong to use?
3) Do you think the word has become too powerful?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)