|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who offers to give Richard a ride home?
2. Where is Richard making a delivery to when a policeman stops him?
3. What does Richard tell the woman he wants to be?
4. What does Richard's boss offer him in the storeroom?
5. Where do Richard and his family move to after the house burns down?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Wright think about his writing career in retrospect?
2. Why does Richard continue working for the second white family, even though he dislikes them?
3. Why does Richard threaten Addie with a knife in Chapter 4?
4. How does Richard's mother punish him for burning down the house?
5. How does Richard's boss respond when Richard tells him he was bitten by his dog?
6. How does Richard respond when his principal demands that he reads his speech for graduation?
7. Why does Richard fight his Uncle Tom?
8. How do people respond to Richard's ambitions to become a writer in Chapter 7?
9. Why does Richard think Grandpa is so bitter?
10. How does Richard burn down his grandparents' house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the connotations of the word "nigger."
1) What is its original meaning and what has it come to mean?
2) Why is it now considered so wrong to use?
3) Do you think the word has become too powerful?
Essay Topic 2
Pick one of the following characters and examine his/her influence on molding Richard's character.
1) Richard's mother
2) Richard's father
3) Richard's grandmother
4) Aunt Maggie
Essay Topic 3
Examine black femininity.
1) In what did the whites oppress black femininity?
2) How did the white man's oppression of black femininity affect black women?
3) How have black women reacted to the oppression of their femininity?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)