|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Richard use to make deliveries?
2. What does Granny forbid in her house?
3. Who does Richard start working for?
4. What does one boy claim gonorrhea is?
5. What does Uncle Clark assign Richard with as soon as he arrives?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Wright think about his writing career in retrospect?
2. Why does Richard hang the kitten?
3. What does Richard think about the popular contention that black people lead passionate, emotional lives?
4. How do people respond to Richard's ambitions to become a writer in Chapter 7?
5. How does Granny injure herself in Chapter 5?
6. How does Richard's boss respond when Richard tells him he was bitten by his dog?
7. Why does Granny beat Richard with a wet towel?
8. Why can Richard not believe in God?
9. Why does Richard develop a bitter association between his father and hunger?
10. Why does Richard think racism encourages theft?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the differences between the Jim Crow system and slavery.
1) What were the differences between the Jim Crow system and slavery?
2) In what way does Wright present the Jim Crow system as hypocritical and no better than slavery?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the structure of the book.
1) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's ideas?
2) Examine the way Wright uses other people in the story to express his ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the values of early 20th century America
1) How did the whites view blacks in the early 20th century?
2) What significant changes do you think occurred during this period that changed the way whites viewed blacks?
3) Does today's society share any values with early 20th century America?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)