|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the book the school teacher is reading?
2. Who does Richard associate hunger with?
3. Who does Richard choose to live with?
4. Why do Pease and Reynolds refuse to train Richard on the optic machines?
5. What does one of the workers show Richard to demonstrate how dangerous working at the sawmill can be?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Richard think racism encourages theft?
2. Why can Richard not believe in God?
3. What awkward question does Richard's prospective white employer ask him?
4. What does Richard eat for his meals in Jackson?
5. Where does Richard first find his love for books?
6. What does Richard do to raise money to move away from the South?
7. What does Wright think about his writing career in retrospect?
8. How does Granny injure herself in Chapter 5?
9. What advice does Grigg offer Richard?
10. What happens when Richard gets a flat tire on his bicycle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did Richard develop sympathies towards the Communist Party? How did Wright view Communist ideas later on in life?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the beatings Richard's family inflicted upon him. Why did Richard's family beat him so much? What effect did the beatings have on him? Why were such beating typical of that time period?
Essay Topic 3
Pick one of the following characters and examine his/her influence on molding Richard's character.
1) Richard's mother
2) Richard's father
3) Richard's grandmother
4) Aunt Maggie
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)