|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What information that Richard gives Uncle Tom does Uncle Tom say is not accurate?
2. What does one boy claim gonorrhea is?
3. What does Granny forbid in her house?
4. What does Richard do to stop feeling so hungry?
5. What does Richard start selling to earn money?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Richard threaten Addie with a knife in Chapter 4?
2. What does Richard do to raise money to move away from the South?
3. Why does Richard fight his Uncle Tom?
4. Why can Richard not believe in God?
5. Why does Richard stop selling the newspaper?
6. How do Pease and Reynolds treat Richard at the optical factory?
7. Where does Richard first find his love for books?
8. Why does Richard get baptized in Chapter 6?
9. What does Richard learn about the brother of one of his classmates?
10. Why does Richard dislike his job with the white family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the religious connotations in the book.
1) How does Wright represent black people's relationship with Christianity?
2) Why does Sue change her Christian faith for Communism?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the relationship between education and racist attitudes.
1) How has education played an important part in changing racial attitudes?
2) How did education in the past help to develop racial attitudes?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Wright's writing style. How would you describe the prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Wright's style give to his story?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)