|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the congregation pressure Richard and other boys to do?
2. Who does Richard choose to live with?
3. What does Wright say he would have done if he had known there were so many obstacles to overcome as a writer?
4. What does Richard neglect to call one of the white youths?
5. Why does Wright's boss beat the black woman?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why can Richard not keep his promise to his mother not to fight white children?
2. Why does Richard leave his job in the sawmill?
3. Why does Richard continue working for the second white family, even though he dislikes them?
4. How do Pease and Reynolds treat Richard at the optical factory?
5. What mistake does Granny make at the end of Chapter 4?
6. Why does Richard dislike his job with the white family?
7. Why does Richard hang the kitten?
8. How does Richard cut his ear?
9. Why does Richard think Grandpa is so bitter?
10. How does Richard's boss respond when Richard tells him he was bitten by his dog?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the values of early 20th century America
1) How did the whites view blacks in the early 20th century?
2) What significant changes do you think occurred during this period that changed the way whites viewed blacks?
3) Does today's society share any values with early 20th century America?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the beatings Richard's family inflicted upon him. Why did Richard's family beat him so much? What effect did the beatings have on him? Why were such beating typical of that time period?
Essay Topic 3
Pick one of the following characters and examine his/her influence on molding Richard's character.
1) Richard's mother
2) Richard's father
3) Richard's grandmother
4) Aunt Maggie
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)