|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Richard going when the boys rob him?
2. Who does Richard choose to live with?
3. Where does Richard work the following summer?
4. What does Richard borrow from the schoolteacher's room?
5. What kind of animal does Richard kill?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the family decide is the best way to care for Richard and his brother?
2. What mistake does Granny make at the end of Chapter 4?
3. What does Richard do to raise money to move away from the South?
4. How do Pease and Reynolds treat Richard at the optical factory?
5. What job does Richard find in Chapter 5?
6. Why does Richard hang the kitten?
7. What advice does Grigg offer Richard?
8. Why does Richard dislike his job with the white family?
9. How does Richard cut his ear?
10. How does Richard respond when his principal demands that he reads his speech for graduation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the values of early 20th century America
1) How did the whites view blacks in the early 20th century?
2) What significant changes do you think occurred during this period that changed the way whites viewed blacks?
3) Does today's society share any values with early 20th century America?
Essay Topic 2
Examine violence in the novel.
1) In what way does the violence play an important part in getting Wright's view across?
2) How do the students think the public reacted to the novel's violence when it was first published? How would the public react to such a book today?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the beatings Richard's family inflicted upon him. Why did Richard's family beat him so much? What effect did the beatings have on him? Why were such beating typical of that time period?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)