|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who offers to give Richard a ride home?
2. What do Granny and Addie give up their efforts to do?
3. What does Richard do to stop feeling so hungry?
4. What does Richard's boss offer him in the storeroom?
5. What city does Alan move to?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Granny injure herself in Chapter 5?
2. Why does Richard hang the kitten?
3. Why does Richard stop selling the newspaper?
4. Why does Richard dislike his job with the white family?
5. How does Richard respond when his principal demands that he reads his speech for graduation?
6. Why can Richard not believe in God?
7. What advice does Grigg offer Richard?
8. What happens when Richard makes a delivery to a white neighborhood in Chapter 9?
9. Why does Richard continue working for the second white family, even though he dislikes them?
10. How do Pease and Reynolds treat Richard at the optical factory?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Wright's views on religion.
1) What does he mean by religion on a emotional level?
2) What does he mean by religion on an intellectual level?
3) Why does Wright accept God on both an emotional and intellectual level? Is it the same for everyone?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the differences between the Jim Crow system and slavery.
1) What were the differences between the Jim Crow system and slavery?
2) In what way does Wright present the Jim Crow system as hypocritical and no better than slavery?
Essay Topic 3
Pick one of the following characters and examine his/her influence on molding Richard's character.
1) Richard's mother
2) Richard's father
3) Richard's grandmother
4) Aunt Maggie
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)