|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Richard say he is more interested in than the church elder's words?
2. What does Richard have to fight Uncle Tom off with?
3. Who are Richard's friends hostile towards?
4. What does Wright say he would have done if he had known there were so many obstacles to overcome as a writer?
5. What does Wright do after he gives his speech?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Richard continue working for the second white family, even though he dislikes them?
2. Why can Richard not keep his promise to his mother not to fight white children?
3. How does Richard's boss respond when Richard tells him he was bitten by his dog?
4. Why does Richard stop selling the newspaper?
5. How does Richard's mother punish him for burning down the house?
6. Why does Richard dislike his job with the white family?
7. How do Pease and Reynolds treat Richard at the optical factory?
8. Why does Richard hang the kitten?
9. What does Richard do to raise money to move away from the South?
10. What happens when Richard makes a delivery to a white neighborhood in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick a character from the novel and discuss his/her goals and motives. Does he/she achieve his/her motive? Does he/she share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do his/her goals clash with other characters? How do the characters' goals and motives affect their interactions with each other?
Essay Topic 2
Pick one of the following characters and examine his/her influence on molding Richard's character.
1) Richard's mother
2) Richard's father
3) Richard's grandmother
4) Aunt Maggie
Essay Topic 3
Why did Richard develop sympathies towards the Communist Party? How did Wright view Communist ideas later on in life?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)