|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Richard vow never to do again?
2. Who are Richard's friends hostile towards?
3. What does Richard do to stop feeling so hungry?
4. What do Wright and his co workers do to steal $200?
5. What does Richard threaten Addie with at home?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Richard's ability to read and write help him in Chapter 3?
2. What does Richard think about the popular contention that black people lead passionate, emotional lives?
3. What does Richard do after he has read his speech at graduation?
4. Why does Richard continue working for the second white family, even though he dislikes them?
5. What happens when Richard makes a delivery to a white neighborhood in Chapter 9?
6. What does the family decide is the best way to care for Richard and his brother?
7. How does Richard cut his ear?
8. Where does Richard first find his love for books?
9. How does Richard's boss respond when Richard tells him he was bitten by his dog?
10. What mistake does Granny make at the end of Chapter 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the connotations of the word "nigger."
1) What is its original meaning and what has it come to mean?
2) Why is it now considered so wrong to use?
3) Do you think the word has become too powerful?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the whites oppression of black people.
1) In what way could it be said that it was to the whites' benefit that they kept the black people down?
2) How much of the oppression was pure racism and how much was it due to fear?
3) In what way could it be said that the equality has benefited society?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the religious connotations in the book.
1) How does Wright represent black people's relationship with Christianity?
2) Why does Sue change her Christian faith for Communism?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)