|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ella work as?
2. Who does the family spend time with on the way to Arkansas?
3. What does Richard do to stop feeling so hungry?
4. Who does Richard associate hunger with?
5. What does Richard's mother think will happen if people think Richard has a weak mind?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the black Communists mock Richard?
2. Why does the schoolteacher have to move out of Granny's house?
3. How does Richard's ability to read and write help him in Chapter 3?
4. What does Richard think about the popular contention that black people lead passionate, emotional lives?
5. Why can Richard not believe in God?
6. Where does Richard first find his love for books?
7. What does Richard do with the money he steals?
8. What does Richard do to raise money to move away from the South?
9. Why does Richard continue working for the second white family, even though he dislikes them?
10. Why does Richard find Chicago so startling?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick one of the following characters and examine his/her influence on molding Richard's character.
1) Richard's mother
2) Richard's father
3) Richard's grandmother
4) Aunt Maggie
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the connotations of the word "nigger."
1) What is its original meaning and what has it come to mean?
2) Why is it now considered so wrong to use?
3) Do you think the word has become too powerful?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the book. Why do you think these themes are so important to the book? How does Wright use character and setting to express his themes?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)