|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Richard see in the storeroom on the floor?
2. What kind of animal bites Richard?
3. What does Richard do in the hotel?
4. How does Richard help Granny to request money from her relatives?
5. Where does Ella send her children?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Richard first find his love for books?
2. Why does the schoolteacher have to move out of Granny's house?
3. How does Richard burn down his grandparents' house?
4. Why does Richard continue working for the second white family, even though he dislikes them?
5. Why does Richard stop selling the newspaper?
6. Why does Granny beat Richard with a wet towel?
7. Why can Richard not believe in God?
8. What does the family decide is the best way to care for Richard and his brother?
9. Why does Richard fight his Uncle Tom?
10. Why does Richard think racism encourages theft?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Wright's views on religion.
1) What does he mean by religion on a emotional level?
2) What does he mean by religion on an intellectual level?
3) Why does Wright accept God on both an emotional and intellectual level? Is it the same for everyone?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the whites oppression of black people.
1) In what way could it be said that it was to the whites' benefit that they kept the black people down?
2) How much of the oppression was pure racism and how much was it due to fear?
3) In what way could it be said that the equality has benefited society?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the book.
1) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's ideas?
2) Examine the way Wright uses other people in the story to express his ideas.
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)