|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What city does Richard arrive at in this chapter?
(b) New York
(d) Los Angeles
2. Whose teachings do the Garveyites follow?
(a) Marvin Garvey
(b) Charles Darwin
(c) Malcolm X
(d) James Garvey
3. Where does Richard move to?
(b) Los Angeles
4. What does Richard say he feels like when a Jewish boy comes in to time how long it takes for him to clean?
(a) An idiot
(b) A slave
(d) A child
5. Which two characters go to Chicago first?
(a) Alan and Ellie
(b) Richard and Alan
(c) Richard and Maggie
(d) Alan and Maggie
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Martin Garvey advocate for black Americans?
2. What event causes Richard to lose a lot of his hours at the post office?
3. Who is the only person among Richard's family in Chicago who does not fall ill?
4. What does Richard refuse to accept from a white customer?
5. Where do Richard and his friend find bootleg liquor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Shorty amuse Richard?
2. What does Richard decide at the end of the book?
3. How does Richard borrow books from the white library?
4. What problems does Richard face as publicity agent for the Federal Negro Theater?
5. Why does Mrs. Moss end up disgusting Richard?
6. What happens when Richard joins the May Day parade?
7. How do Richard's white co-workers in the cafe shock him?
8. Why do the black Communists mock Richard?
9. How do Richard's co-workers react when he tells them he is moving North?
10. How do the white employers at the optical factory arrange a boxing match between Richard and Harrison?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)