|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the only person among Richard's family in Chicago who does not fall ill?
2. What does Richard refuse to accept from a white customer?
(c) A present
3. What is Matther's nickname?
(a) Screw loose
4. What is Mencken famous as?
(a) An essayist and critic
(b) A short story writer
(c) A novelist
(d) A journalist
5. What reason does Richard give for leaving the South?
(a) To have more freedom
(b) To get married
(c) To be near his mother
(d) To write
Short Answer Questions
1. What city does Richard arrive at in this chapter?
2. What is Ross facing legal prosecution for?
3. What does Yound accuse Swann of being?
4. What does Richard say he feels like when a Jewish boy comes in to time how long it takes for him to clean?
5. What is Shorty's job at the optical shop?
Short Essay Questions
1. What problems does Richard face as publicity agent for the Federal Negro Theater?
2. Why do the black Communists mock Richard?
3. How do Richard's white co-workers in the cafe shock him?
4. What does Richard realize as he stands in line at the relief station?
5. Who was Marcus Garvey?
6. How do the white employers at the optical factory arrange a boxing match between Richard and Harrison?
7. Why does Richard find Chicago so startling?
8. Why do Richard's fellow comrades begins to shun him?
9. What happens when Richard joins the May Day parade?
10. Why does Richard want to read H.L Mencken?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)