|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What character working in the hospital basement scares Richard?
2. Who does the editorial attack?
(a) H.L. Mencken
(b) Mark Twain
(c) William Faulkner
(d) James Dean
3. What does Richard say he wants his bridge of words to connect with?
(a) The black world
(b) The outside world
(c) The white world
(d) The inside world
4. What is Ross facing legal prosecution for?
(c) Attempted murder
5. Who does Richard find is trying to oust him from his position at the Federal Negro Theater?
(a) The American government
(b) The Chicago mayor
(c) The Fascists
(d) The Communists
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Richard and his friend find bootleg liquor?
2. Which two characters go to Chicago first?
3. Where does Richard move to?
4. Whose work does Wright want to read?
5. Where does Young's identification state he has escaped from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Marcus Garvey?
2. What problems does Richard face as publicity agent for the Federal Negro Theater?
3. How do Richard's white co-workers in the cafe shock him?
4. Why don't Southern people like it when blacks move to Northern cities?
5. How do the white man and black man use Richard to help them move the liquor?
6. Why does Shorty amuse Richard?
7. How does Richard borrow books from the white library?
8. Why do the black Communists mock Richard?
9. Why does Bill terrify Richard?
10. What happens when Richard joins the May Day parade?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)