|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Matther's nickname?
(c) Screw loose
2. What is the name of the magazine H. L. Mencken edits?
(a) American Mercury
(b) Lets Love
(c) American Buffalo
(d) Where the Buffalo Roam
3. What parade does Richard try to be part of?
(a) Independence Day
(b) May Day
(c) St Patrick's Day
(d) St George Day
4. What depresses Wright about Chicago?
(a) The industrial landscape
(b) The rudeness of the people
(c) The traffic
(d) The racism
5. Why does Richard wait two days before his departure to tell his boss that he is leaving?
(a) To minimize the fricton
(b) To get more money
(c) To help him find someone else
(d) To annoy him
Short Answer Questions
1. Which two characters go to Chicago first?
2. Whose teachings do the Garveyites follow?
3. Who does the editorial attack?
4. Where does RIchard take a job?
5. What is Bill's favorite phrase?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Richard's co-workers react when he tells them he is moving North?
2. Why does Richard find Chicago so startling?
3. Why don't Southern people like it when blacks move to Northern cities?
4. How do the white employers at the optical factory arrange a boxing match between Richard and Harrison?
5. How does Richard borrow books from the white library?
6. What problems does Wright find in New York City?
7. What does Richard decide at the end of the book?
8. What does Richard realize as he stands in line at the relief station?
9. Who was Marcus Garvey?
10. Why does Shorty amuse Richard?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)