|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What religion is Falk?
(b) Irish Protestant
(c) Irish Catholic
2. Where does Richard work with restless boys?
(a) South Side Boys' Club
(b) Gangland North
(c) West Side Boys' Club
(d) Happy Homes
3. Why does Richard wait two days before his departure to tell his boss that he is leaving?
(a) To annoy him
(b) To help him find someone else
(c) To get more money
(d) To minimize the fricton
4. What is Shorty's job at the optical shop?
(a) Lens maker
(b) Floor mopper
(c) Toilet cleaner
(d) Elevator man
5. Whose work does Wright want to read?
Short Answer Questions
1. What role does Richard get at the Federal Relief Theater?
2. What is the name of the magazine H. L. Mencken edits?
3. What is Bill's favorite phrase?
4. What political party are many of Richard's friends members of?
5. What reason does Richard give for leaving the South?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why don't Southern people like it when blacks move to Northern cities?
2. Why do the black Communists mock Richard?
3. How do Richard's white co-workers in the cafe shock him?
4. How do the white employers at the optical factory arrange a boxing match between Richard and Harrison?
5. In what way does Richard's situation take a turn for the worse when the Great Depression hits America?
6. What does Richard decide at the end of the book?
7. How does Richard borrow books from the white library?
8. What happens when Richard joins the May Day parade?
9. What does Richard realize as he stands in line at the relief station?
10. Who was Marcus Garvey?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)