|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Richard not find Bess attractive?
(a) She is mentally impaired
(b) She is humorless
(c) She is childish and dull
(d) She is insensitive
2. What is Ross facing legal prosecution for?
(d) Attempted murder
3. What is Bill's favorite phrase?
(a) Hang em all
(b) Watch your back Jack
(c) Let us all start over again
(d) Brain drain
4. Which two characters go to Chicago first?
(a) Alan and Maggie
(b) Richard and Alan
(c) Richard and Maggie
(d) Alan and Ellie
5. What is Wright fearful of doing at work?
(a) Giving in to stealing
(b) Making a mistake
(c) Offending the whites
Short Answer Questions
1. What depresses Wright about Chicago?
2. What does Yound accuse Swann of being?
3. What reason does Shorty give for not joining Richard?
4. What did Martin Garvey advocate for black Americans?
5. Who gives Richard a sly smile before Richard leaves work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Moss end up disgusting Richard?
2. Who was Marcus Garvey?
3. How do the white man and black man use Richard to help them move the liquor?
4. What happens when Richard joins the May Day parade?
5. Why does Richard find Chicago so startling?
6. Why do the black Communists mock Richard?
7. Why does Richard want to read H.L Mencken?
8. What does Richard realize as he stands in line at the relief station?
9. How do the white employers at the optical factory arrange a boxing match between Richard and Harrison?
10. How do Richard's white co-workers in the cafe shock him?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)