|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Richard not find Bess attractive?
(a) She is childish and dull
(b) She is mentally impaired
(c) She is insensitive
(d) She is humorless
2. Where does RIchard take a job?
(a) An optical shop
(b) A cafe
(c) A cake shop
(d) A bomb factory
3. What is the name of the magazine H. L. Mencken edits?
(a) Lets Love
(b) American Buffalo
(c) Where the Buffalo Roam
(d) American Mercury
4. What event causes Richard to lose a lot of his hours at the post office?
(a) The Vietnam War
(b) The First World War
(c) The Great Depression
(d) The Second World War
5. What reason does Richard give for leaving the South?
(a) To have more freedom
(b) To be near his mother
(c) To write
(d) To get married
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Richard think he needs to build a bridge of?
2. What does Richard say he feels like when a Jewish boy comes in to time how long it takes for him to clean?
3. What does kind of company does Richard join?
4. What is Bill's favorite phrase?
5. Who throws Richard out of the May Day parade?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Richard's co-workers react when he tells them he is moving North?
2. Why don't Southern people like it when blacks move to Northern cities?
3. What does Richard decide at the end of the book?
4. Why do Richard's fellow comrades begins to shun him?
5. Why does Bill terrify Richard?
6. How do the white employers at the optical factory arrange a boxing match between Richard and Harrison?
7. Why do the black Communists mock Richard?
8. How does Richard borrow books from the white library?
9. Why does Richard find Chicago so startling?
10. How do the white man and black man use Richard to help them move the liquor?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)