|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Richard work with restless boys?
(a) South Side Boys' Club
(b) Happy Homes
(c) West Side Boys' Club
(d) Gangland North
2. Where does Young's identification state he has escaped from?
(a) A chain gang
(c) A mental institution
3. What does Richard tell his black comrade he does for a living?
(a) Writes books
(b) Empties bins
(d) Sweeps roads
4. Where does Richard meet a young black man?
(a) In a restaurant
(b) In a cafe
(c) At a watermill
(d) On the waterfront
5. Who does the editorial attack?
(a) Mark Twain
(b) William Faulkner
(c) James Dean
(d) H.L. Mencken
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Shorty give for not joining Richard?
2. Which two characters go to Chicago first?
3. What is Shorty's job at the optical shop?
4. What character working in the hospital basement scares Richard?
5. What does Richard say he wants his bridge of words to connect with?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Richard's situation take a turn for the worse when the Great Depression hits America?
2. What problems does Wright find in New York City?
3. Why does Bill terrify Richard?
4. How does Richard borrow books from the white library?
5. Why do the black Communists mock Richard?
6. What does Richard decide at the end of the book?
7. Why do Richard's fellow comrades begins to shun him?
8. Who was Marcus Garvey?
9. Why does Shorty amuse Richard?
10. Why don't Southern people like it when blacks move to Northern cities?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)