|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which two characters go to Chicago first?
(a) Alan and Maggie
(b) Richard and Alan
(c) Alan and Ellie
(d) Richard and Maggie
2. Who does Richard write biographical sketches for?
(a) European leaders
(b) Black Communists
(c) Black political leaders
3. What is Matther's nickname?
(a) Screw loose
4. What role does Richard get at the Federal Relief Theater?
(a) Casting agent
(b) Publicity agent
(d) Light technician
5. Who does Richard find is trying to oust him from his position at the Federal Negro Theater?
(a) The Chicago mayor
(b) The Fascists
(c) The Communists
(d) The American government
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the only person among Richard's family in Chicago who does not fall ill?
2. What is Shorty's job at the optical shop?
3. Whose work does Wright want to read?
4. What character working in the hospital basement scares Richard?
5. What does Richard say he wants his bridge of words to connect with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Richard decide at the end of the book?
2. Why do Richard's fellow comrades begins to shun him?
3. Why does Richard find Chicago so startling?
4. Why does Richard want to read H.L Mencken?
5. What does Richard realize as he stands in line at the relief station?
6. What problems does Wright find in New York City?
7. How do Richard's co-workers react when he tells them he is moving North?
8. How does Richard borrow books from the white library?
9. Who was Marcus Garvey?
10. Why does Mrs. Moss end up disgusting Richard?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)