|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do the Hoffmans operate their store?
(a) A railway station
(b) A metro station
(c) The city center
(d) A whites only neighborhood
2. What is the name of the magazine H. L. Mencken edits?
(a) American Mercury
(b) Lets Love
(c) Where the Buffalo Roam
(d) American Buffalo
3. What does Richard say he wants his bridge of words to connect with?
(a) The white world
(b) The black world
(c) The outside world
(d) The inside world
4. What religion is Falk?
(a) Irish Catholic
(d) Irish Protestant
5. What is the name of Miss Moss' daughter?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who joins Richard in Memphis?
2. Where do Richard and his friend find bootleg liquor?
3. What does Richard tell his black comrade he does for a living?
4. What does Wright borrow from Falk?
5. What is Wright fearful of doing at work?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the white man and black man use Richard to help them move the liquor?
2. Why does Richard want to read H.L Mencken?
3. What does Richard realize as he stands in line at the relief station?
4. Why does Richard find Chicago so startling?
5. In what way does Richard's situation take a turn for the worse when the Great Depression hits America?
6. How do the white employers at the optical factory arrange a boxing match between Richard and Harrison?
7. Who was Marcus Garvey?
8. How does Richard borrow books from the white library?
9. Why does Bill terrify Richard?
10. What happens when Richard joins the May Day parade?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)