|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Richard and his friend find bootleg liquor?
(a) Floating on the water
(b) Under floorboards
(c) In a patch of weeds
(d) In a sand pit
2. Who throws Richard out of the May Day parade?
(a) Two black Communists
(b) Security guards
(c) Two white Communists
(d) The mayor
3. Who gives Richard a sly smile before Richard leaves work?
(d) Miss Molly
4. What does the black comrade tell Richard would bolster his credibility?
(a) Drive a truck
(b) A night on the town
(c) A confrontation with the police
(d) A white mistress
5. What does Richard need to do to to get the position at the post office?
(b) Rent an apartment
(c) Buy a suit
(d) Put on weight
Short Answer Questions
1. What character working in the hospital basement scares Richard?
2. What does Richard tell his black comrade he does for a living?
3. Whose teachings do the Garveyites follow?
4. What is the name of Richard's foreman?
5. Where does Richard meet a young black man?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Shorty amuse Richard?
2. Why do Richard's fellow comrades begins to shun him?
3. What problems does Wright find in New York City?
4. How do the white man and black man use Richard to help them move the liquor?
5. In what way does Richard's situation take a turn for the worse when the Great Depression hits America?
6. What problems does Richard face as publicity agent for the Federal Negro Theater?
7. What does Richard realize as he stands in line at the relief station?
8. Why don't Southern people like it when blacks move to Northern cities?
9. Why do the black Communists mock Richard?
10. Why does Mrs. Moss end up disgusting Richard?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)