|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Richard find work?
(a) A hostel
(b) A movie theater
(c) A restaurant
(d) A delicatessen
2. What does Shorty allow a white man to do to him for a quarter?
(a) Kick him
(b) Push him over
(c) Kiss him
(d) Hit him
3. Where does Richard wait in line in this chapter?
(a) The paper store
(b) The relief station
(c) The post office
(d) The grocery store
4. Whose teachings do the Garveyites follow?
(a) James Garvey
(b) Malcolm X
(c) Marvin Garvey
(d) Charles Darwin
5. Who joins Richard in Memphis?
(a) His Uncle Tom
(b) His father
(c) His brother and mother
(d) His grandmother
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Richard say the dogs do silently when they regain consciousness?
2. What is the name of the drug doctors use to sedate the dogs?
3. What does the black comrade tell Richard would bolster his credibility?
4. Where does RIchard take a job?
5. What style of poem does Wright write for the magazine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Richard realize as he stands in line at the relief station?
2. In what way does Richard's situation take a turn for the worse when the Great Depression hits America?
3. Why does Richard find Chicago so startling?
4. How do Richard's white co-workers in the cafe shock him?
5. How do Richard's co-workers react when he tells them he is moving North?
6. Why does Bill terrify Richard?
7. Why do Richard's fellow comrades begins to shun him?
8. What does Richard decide at the end of the book?
9. Why does Mrs. Moss end up disgusting Richard?
10. How do the white man and black man use Richard to help them move the liquor?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)