|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the black Communists brand Wright as?
(a) An intellectual
(b) An Uncle Tom
(c) A snob
(d) A worker
2. What depresses Wright about Chicago?
(a) The rudeness of the people
(b) The industrial landscape
(c) The traffic
(d) The racism
3. Who gives Richard a sly smile before Richard leaves work?
(b) Miss Molly
4. Where do the Hoffmans operate their store?
(a) A railway station
(b) The city center
(c) A metro station
(d) A whites only neighborhood
5. What did Martin Garvey advocate for black Americans?
(b) A return to Africa
(d) A move to Europe
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Richard write biographical sketches for?
2. What political party are many of Richard's friends members of?
3. What is Wright fearful of doing at work?
4. What does Richard say he feels like when a Jewish boy comes in to time how long it takes for him to clean?
5. What is the name of the magazine H. L. Mencken edits?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the white man and black man use Richard to help them move the liquor?
2. How do Richard's co-workers react when he tells them he is moving North?
3. Who was Marcus Garvey?
4. What does Richard realize as he stands in line at the relief station?
5. Why do the black Communists mock Richard?
6. What does Richard decide at the end of the book?
7. Why do Richard's fellow comrades begins to shun him?
8. Why does Bill terrify Richard?
9. What problems does Richard face as publicity agent for the Federal Negro Theater?
10. Why does Richard find Chicago so startling?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)