|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reason does Shorty give for not joining Richard?
(a) He is lazy
(b) He likes the South
(c) He has too many responibilities
(d) He earns a lot of money
2. What role does Richard get at the Federal Relief Theater?
(b) Casting agent
(c) Publicity agent
(d) Light technician
3. What is the name of Richard's new landlady?
(a) Miss Taylor
(d) Mrs. Moss
4. What political party are many of Richard's friends members of?
(a) The Communist party
(b) The Fascist party
(c) The Democratic party
(d) The Black Panthers
5. Which two characters go to Chicago first?
(a) Richard and Alan
(b) Richard and Maggie
(c) Alan and Ellie
(d) Alan and Maggie
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Matther's nickname?
2. Who gives Richard a sly smile before Richard leaves work?
3. What did Martin Garvey advocate for black Americans?
4. What parade does Richard try to be part of?
5. Where does RIchard take a job?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Richard's situation take a turn for the worse when the Great Depression hits America?
2. Who was Marcus Garvey?
3. How does Richard borrow books from the white library?
4. What does Richard decide at the end of the book?
5. What does Richard realize as he stands in line at the relief station?
6. Why does Shorty amuse Richard?
7. Why does Mrs. Moss end up disgusting Richard?
8. How do Richard's white co-workers in the cafe shock him?
9. How do the white man and black man use Richard to help them move the liquor?
10. What problems does Richard face as publicity agent for the Federal Negro Theater?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)