|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Richard find work?
(a) A hostel
(b) A movie theater
(c) A restaurant
(d) A delicatessen
2. What parade does Richard try to be part of?
(a) St George Day
(b) Independence Day
(c) St Patrick's Day
(d) May Day
3. What event causes Richard to lose a lot of his hours at the post office?
(a) The First World War
(b) The Great Depression
(c) The Vietnam War
(d) The Second World War
4. What is Mencken famous as?
(a) A novelist
(b) A journalist
(c) An essayist and critic
(d) A short story writer
5. What is the name of Richard's new landlady?
(a) Mrs. Moss
(c) Miss Taylor
Short Answer Questions
1. What character working in the hospital basement scares Richard?
2. What reason does Shorty give for not joining Richard?
3. What does kind of company does Richard join?
4. What role does Richard get at the Federal Relief Theater?
5. What does Richard say he wants his bridge of words to connect with?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Richard's white co-workers in the cafe shock him?
2. Why does Richard want to read H.L Mencken?
3. Who was Marcus Garvey?
4. What problems does Wright find in New York City?
5. What does Richard realize as he stands in line at the relief station?
6. Why does Mrs. Moss end up disgusting Richard?
7. What does Richard decide at the end of the book?
8. Why do Richard's fellow comrades begins to shun him?
9. How does Richard borrow books from the white library?
10. Why does Richard find Chicago so startling?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)