|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reason does Shorty give for not joining Richard?
(a) He has too many responibilities
(b) He is lazy
(c) He earns a lot of money
(d) He likes the South
2. What does Richard say he feels like when a Jewish boy comes in to time how long it takes for him to clean?
(a) A child
(b) An idiot
(d) A slave
3. What is Ross facing legal prosecution for?
(b) Attempted murder
4. What does Richard tell his black comrade he does for a living?
(a) Writes books
(c) Sweeps roads
(d) Empties bins
5. What is the name of Richard's new landlady?
(a) Miss Taylor
(d) Mrs. Moss
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Young's identification state he has escaped from?
2. What role does Richard get at the Federal Relief Theater?
3. What parade does Richard try to be part of?
4. What does Shorty allow a white man to do to him for a quarter?
5. What style of poem does Wright write for the magazine?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Richard find Chicago so startling?
2. Why does Richard want to read H.L Mencken?
3. What problems does Richard face as publicity agent for the Federal Negro Theater?
4. How do Richard's co-workers react when he tells them he is moving North?
5. What happens when Richard joins the May Day parade?
6. What does Richard decide at the end of the book?
7. Why don't Southern people like it when blacks move to Northern cities?
8. Why do the black Communists mock Richard?
9. How do the white man and black man use Richard to help them move the liquor?
10. In what way does Richard's situation take a turn for the worse when the Great Depression hits America?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)