|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Richard reason that an honest living would lead to?
(a) A prolonged stay in the South
(c) Marriage and children
2. What does Wright do after he gives his speech?
(a) Turns his back on the crowd
(b) Gives a black power salute
(d) Walks away
3. Where does Richard take a job at the end of the summer?
(a) A hotel
(b) A restaurant
(c) A factory
(d) A cafe
4. What is the name of the book the school teacher is reading?
(a) Wizard of Oz
(b) Uncle Tom's Cabin
(c) Treasure Island
(d) Bluebeard and His Seven Wives
5. Who beats Richard until he loses consciousness?
(a) His father
(b) His mother
(c) The sheriff
(d) His grandma
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of church does Richard attend with his mother?
2. What does the job include?
3. What does Brother Mance sell?
4. Where is Richard going when the boys rob him?
5. Where does Nathan work as a night porter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Richard cut his ear?
2. Why does Granny beat Richard with a wet towel?
3. What does the family decide is the best way to care for Richard and his brother?
4. How does Richard's mother punish him for burning down the house?
5. Why does Richard hang the kitten?
6. What does Richard do after he has read his speech at graduation?
7. What does Richard do to raise money to move away from the South?
8. Why can Richard not keep his promise to his mother not to fight white children?
9. How do people respond to Richard's ambitions to become a writer in Chapter 7?
10. How does Richard respond when his principal demands that he reads his speech for graduation?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)