|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the piece of glass cut Richard?
(a) Behind the ear
(b) On the nose
(c) On the back of his knee
(d) On the neck
2. What does Richard borrow from the schoolteacher's room?
(d) Make up
3. Who does Granny inform that Richard has seen an angel?
(b) Her congregation
(c) A radio station
(d) Richard's mother
4. What does Richard pawn in this chapter?
(b) A gun
(c) A diamond
(d) A guitar
5. What does the job include?
(a) Sleeping quarters
(b) Free meals
(c) Free baths
(d) Free clothes
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Richard vow never to do again?
2. What is the name of Richard's brother?
3. What is the name of Maggie's husband?
4. Who does Richard choose to live with?
5. What does Richard's mother force him to do with the dead kitten?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Wright think about his writing career in retrospect?
2. How does Richard respond when his principal demands that he reads his speech for graduation?
3. How does Richard cut his ear?
4. Why does the schoolteacher have to move out of Granny's house?
5. How do people respond to Richard's ambitions to become a writer in Chapter 7?
6. Why does Richard threaten Addie with a knife in Chapter 4?
7. How does Richard burn down his grandparents' house?
8. Why does Richard fight his Uncle Tom?
9. What does Richard do after he has read his speech at graduation?
10. What happens when Richard makes a delivery to a white neighborhood in Chapter 9?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)