|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Wright say he would have done if he had known there were so many obstacles to overcome as a writer?
(a) Moved to Paris
(b) Abandoned his quest
(c) Married early
(d) Gone to a deserted island
2. What happens to Richard's bike when he is making a delivery in this chapter?
(a) Its frame snaps
(b) Its wheel buckles
(c) Its pedals fall off
(d) It gets a flat tire
3. What does Richard typically eat for breakfast?
(a) Flour and lard mush
(b) Gruel and noodles
(c) Biscuits and gravy
(d) Eggs and toast
4. Where does Maggie live?
(d) New York
5. What does Brother Mance sell?
(d) Plastic surgery
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of Arkansas does Maggie live in?
2. What does Ella work as?
3. What does Richard typically eat for dinner?
4. On what level does religion interest Richard?
5. How does Richard help Granny to request money from her relatives?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Richard threaten Addie with a knife in Chapter 4?
2. Why does Richard continue working for the second white family, even though he dislikes them?
3. What does Wright think about his writing career in retrospect?
4. What does the family decide is the best way to care for Richard and his brother?
5. What happens between the white security guard and Richard in Chapter 10?
6. What does Richard do after he has read his speech at graduation?
7. What does Richard eat for his meals in Jackson?
8. Why does Richard stop selling the newspaper?
9. How does Richard cut his ear?
10. Why does Richard fight his Uncle Tom?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)