|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Granny forbid in her house?
(a) Devil stuff
(d) White women
2. Who beats Richard until he loses consciousness?
(a) The sheriff
(b) His grandma
(c) His father
(d) His mother
3. What is the name of Granny's religion?
(a) Jehova Witness
(b) Seventh-Day Adventist
4. What do Granny and Addie give up their efforts to do?
(a) Find a husband
(b) Fight for the end of segregation
(c) Find work
(d) Save Richard's soul
5. Where does Richard work the following summer?
(a) A sawmill
(b) A grocery store
(c) A watermill
(d) A bomb factory
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Richard threaten Addie with at home?
2. What does Richard see in the storeroom on the floor?
3. Who are Richard's friends hostile towards?
4. What does Richard's mother think will happen if people think Richard has a weak mind?
5. What does Granny equate literary fiction with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Richard do to raise money to move away from the South?
2. How does Richard respond when his principal demands that he reads his speech for graduation?
3. What does Richard do with the money he steals?
4. How does Richard burn down his grandparents' house?
5. How does Richard's mother punish him for burning down the house?
6. How does Granny injure herself in Chapter 5?
7. What does Richard think about the popular contention that black people lead passionate, emotional lives?
8. What happens when Richard makes a delivery to a white neighborhood in Chapter 9?
9. What happens when Richard gets a flat tire on his bicycle?
10. What does Richard do after he has read his speech at graduation?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)