|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Richard afraid Crane and Pease will do if he tells his boss?
(a) Set fire to his house
(b) Maime him
(c) Drive him out of town
(d) Kill him
2. What does Richard vow never to do again?
(b) Go back to the south
(c) Talk to his grandma
3. What does the congregation pressure Richard and other boys to do?
(a) Build a church
(b) Get baptized
(c) Find girlfriends
4. Who does Richard persuade to publish his short story?
(a) The New York Times
(b) The local black newspaper
(c) The Chicago Tribune
(d) The local newsletter
5. Where does Richard work the following summer?
(a) A grocery store
(b) A watermill
(c) A bomb factory
(d) A sawmill
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can Richard not write his own speech at his graduation?
2. Where does Richard work after the hotel?
3. Why does Richard's boss fire him?
4. What does Richard refuse from his neighbors?
5. What does Richard start selling to earn money?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens between the white security guard and Richard in Chapter 10?
2. What does Richard think about the popular contention that black people lead passionate, emotional lives?
3. How do people respond to Richard's ambitions to become a writer in Chapter 7?
4. What does Richard do with the money he steals?
5. What does Wright think about his writing career in retrospect?
6. What does Richard eat for his meals in Jackson?
7. What does Richard do after he has read his speech at graduation?
8. Why does Richard threaten Addie with a knife in Chapter 4?
9. Why does Richard fight his Uncle Tom?
10. How does Richard cut his ear?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)