|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Uncle Clark assign Richard with as soon as he arrives?
(b) A proper job
(c) A writing task
2. How does Richard kill the kitten?
(a) Strangles it
(b) Shoots it
(c) Burns it
(d) Hangs it
3. Why can Richard not write his own speech at his graduation?
(a) His cannot spell
(b) The principle wants to promote the school
(c) White people will be present
(d) He does not have enough time
4. Where are the newspaper's printed?
(a) New York
(b) San Francisco
(d) Los Angeles
5. What does Granny equate literary fiction with?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Richard and his family move to after the house burns down?
2. What does Richard like about his job selling newspapers?
3. What does Ella think her son's writing will lead people to think he has?
4. What does Richard reason that an honest living would lead to?
5. Who does RIchard say is the person who encourages him to keep writing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Richard hang the kitten?
2. Why does Richard continue working for the second white family, even though he dislikes them?
3. What advice does Grigg offer Richard?
4. How does Richard's ability to read and write help him in Chapter 3?
5. How does Richard burn down his grandparents' house?
6. What does Richard do with the money he steals?
7. Why does Richard think racism encourages theft?
8. What happens when Richard makes a delivery to a white neighborhood in Chapter 9?
9. What does Richard eat for his meals in Jackson?
10. Why does Richard threaten Addie with a knife in Chapter 4?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)