|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Richard and his family move to after the house burns down?
(a) New York
2. What happens to Richard's bike when he is making a delivery in this chapter?
(a) Its pedals fall off
(b) Its frame snaps
(c) Its wheel buckles
(d) It gets a flat tire
3. Where does Richard work the following summer?
(a) A grocery store
(b) A watermill
(c) A sawmill
(d) A bomb factory
4. What does Mr Crane want to train Richard in?
(a) Book binding
(b) Coffee making
5. What does Richard refuse from his neighbors?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Richard choose to live with?
2. What does Granny forbid in her house?
3. Who does Richard say he is more interested in than the church elder's words?
4. Why does Ella have to stop work?
5. What can Richard now do with his class mates?
Short Essay Questions
1. What awkward question does Richard's prospective white employer ask him?
2. How does Richard's ability to read and write help him in Chapter 3?
3. Why does Granny beat Richard with a wet towel?
4. What job does Richard find in Chapter 5?
5. Why does Richard dislike his job with the white family?
6. Why does Richard develop a bitter association between his father and hunger?
7. Why can Richard not keep his promise to his mother not to fight white children?
8. How do people respond to Richard's ambitions to become a writer in Chapter 7?
9. Why does Richard fight his Uncle Tom?
10. What does Richard do with the money he steals?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)