|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What part of Arkansas does Maggie live in?
2. What is Richard afraid Crane and Pease will do if he tells his boss?
(a) Set fire to his house
(b) Kill him
(c) Drive him out of town
(d) Maime him
3. What does Richard borrow from the schoolteacher's room?
(c) Make up
4. What does Richard tell the woman he wants to be?
(a) A lawyer
(b) A writer
(c) A doctor
(d) A scientist
5. Why does Ella have to stop work?
(a) She has won the lottery
(b) She is pregnant
(c) She is ill
(d) She wants to spend more time with her children
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Richard going when the boys rob him?
2. Where does Richard work next?
3. Where does Maggie live?
4. What kind of food does the woman offer Richard to eat?
5. What does Wright say he would have done if he had known there were so many obstacles to overcome as a writer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Richard fight his Uncle Tom?
2. How does Richard cut his ear?
3. Why does Richard stop selling the newspaper?
4. What awkward question does Richard's prospective white employer ask him?
5. How do people respond to Richard's ambitions to become a writer in Chapter 7?
6. Why does Richard hang the kitten?
7. Why does Richard threaten Addie with a knife in Chapter 4?
8. How does Richard burn down his grandparents' house?
9. What does Richard do to raise money to move away from the South?
10. Why does Richard continue working for the second white family, even though he dislikes them?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)