|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Wright's boss beat the black woman?
(a) She stole form the shop
(b) He was bored
(c) She talked back to him
(d) She cannot afford to pay her credit installments
2. What does Richard's mother arm him with to attack the boys?
(a) A tomahawk
(b) A whip
(c) A gun
(d) A stick
3. What does Richard do when his employers mock him for wanting to become a writer?
(a) Breaks a window
(c) Laughs at her
(d) Slaps her
4. What does Richard borrow from the schoolteacher's room?
(d) Make up
5. Who does Richard associate hunger with?
(a) White people
(b) His father
(c) His grandma
(d) His mother
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Richard neglect to call one of the white youths?
2. What kind of animal bites Richard?
3. What is Richard afraid Crane and Pease will do if he tells his boss?
4. What does Richard use to make deliveries?
5. Why does Ella have to stop work?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Richard cut his ear?
2. Why does Granny beat Richard with a wet towel?
3. Why does Richard get baptized in Chapter 6?
4. What does Richard learn about the brother of one of his classmates?
5. How does Richard's ability to read and write help him in Chapter 3?
6. What happens when Richard makes a delivery to a white neighborhood in Chapter 9?
7. How does Granny injure herself in Chapter 5?
8. Why does the schoolteacher have to move out of Granny's house?
9. What mistake does Granny make at the end of Chapter 4?
10. What does the family decide is the best way to care for Richard and his brother?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)