|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Granny renting a room to?
(a) A factory owner
(b) A cook
(c) A communist
(d) A school teacher
2. What does Richard's mother force him to do with the dead kitten?
(a) Eat it
(b) Feed it to hyenas
(c) Burn it
(d) Bury it
3. What does Ella work as?
(a) A nurse
(b) A gardener
(c) A cleaner
(d) A cook
4. Who does Richard associate hunger with?
(a) White people
(b) His father
(c) His mother
(d) His grandma
5. Why do Pease and Reynolds refuse to train Richard on the optic machines?
(a) It is white man's work
(b) People should not need to be trained
(c) They need training themselves
(d) They are too dangerous
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Richard going when the boys rob him?
2. What does Nathan work as?
3. Where are the newspaper's printed?
4. What does Richard typically eat for breakfast?
5. Where does Richard work next?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Richard think Grandpa is so bitter?
2. What happens between the white security guard and Richard in Chapter 10?
3. Why can Richard not keep his promise to his mother not to fight white children?
4. How does Richard's ability to read and write help him in Chapter 3?
5. What does Richard learn about the brother of one of his classmates?
6. Why does Richard think racism encourages theft?
7. Why does Richard leave his job in the sawmill?
8. How does Richard burn down his grandparents' house?
9. Why does Richard hang the kitten?
10. What awkward question does Richard's prospective white employer ask him?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)