|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who gives Richard a sly smile before Richard leaves work?
(b) Miss Molly
2. What does Shorty allow a white man to do to him for a quarter?
(a) Hit him
(b) Push him over
(c) Kick him
(d) Kiss him
3. Where do Richard and his friend find bootleg liquor?
(a) In a patch of weeds
(b) Under floorboards
(c) Floating on the water
(d) In a sand pit
4. What reason does Richard give for leaving the South?
(a) To write
(b) To be near his mother
(c) To get married
(d) To have more freedom
5. What does Yound accuse Swann of being?
(a) A government spy
(b) A journalist
(c) A police collaborator
(d) A Fascist
6. What city does Richard arrive at in this chapter?
(a) Los Angeles
(b) New York
7. What does Richard say he feels like when a Jewish boy comes in to time how long it takes for him to clean?
(a) A slave
(c) A child
(d) An idiot
8. What does Richard tell his black comrade he does for a living?
(a) Sweeps roads
(b) Writes books
(c) Empties bins
9. Who does Richard find is trying to oust him from his position at the Federal Negro Theater?
(a) The American government
(b) The Fascists
(c) The Chicago mayor
(d) The Communists
10. Where do the Hoffmans operate their store?
(a) A railway station
(b) A metro station
(c) The city center
(d) A whites only neighborhood
11. What do the black Communists brand Wright as?
(a) A worker
(b) An intellectual
(c) An Uncle Tom
(d) A snob
12. Why does Richard wait two days before his departure to tell his boss that he is leaving?
(a) To minimize the fricton
(b) To get more money
(c) To help him find someone else
(d) To annoy him
13. What is Wright fearful of doing at work?
(b) Making a mistake
(c) Giving in to stealing
(d) Offending the whites
14. What does Richard say the dogs do silently when they regain consciousness?
15. What does the Party charge Ross with?
(a) Anti-leadership tendencies
(b) A consumerist personality
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Richard's foreman?
2. Where does Richard work with restless boys?
3. What is the name of Richard's new landlady?
4. What is Shorty's job at the optical shop?
5. Who does the editorial attack?
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)