|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the only person among Richard's family in Chicago who does not fall ill?
2. What do the black Communists brand Wright as?
(a) An intellectual
(b) A worker
(c) An Uncle Tom
(d) A snob
3. Whose work does Wright want to read?
4. Why does Richard wait two days before his departure to tell his boss that he is leaving?
(a) To annoy him
(b) To help him find someone else
(c) To get more money
(d) To minimize the fricton
5. What did Martin Garvey advocate for black Americans?
(b) A move to Europe
(d) A return to Africa
6. Where do the Hoffmans operate their store?
(a) A metro station
(b) A railway station
(c) The city center
(d) A whites only neighborhood
7. What does Richard say he wants his bridge of words to connect with?
(a) The outside world
(b) The white world
(c) The inside world
(d) The black world
8. What reason does Richard give for leaving the South?
(a) To get married
(b) To have more freedom
(c) To write
(d) To be near his mother
9. Where does Richard wait in line in this chapter?
(a) The relief station
(b) The paper store
(c) The grocery store
(d) The post office
10. What character working in the hospital basement scares Richard?
11. Where does Young's identification state he has escaped from?
(a) A chain gang
(c) A mental institution
12. What is Ross facing legal prosecution for?
(c) Attempted murder
13. What does kind of company does Richard join?
(a) A television company
(b) An insurance agency
(c) A optics company
(d) A phone company
14. What reason does Shorty give for not joining Richard?
(a) He is lazy
(b) He has too many responibilities
(c) He earns a lot of money
(d) He likes the South
15. Where does Richard meet a young black man?
(a) On the waterfront
(b) In a cafe
(c) In a restaurant
(d) At a watermill
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Richard think he needs to build a bridge of?
2. What does Richard say he feels like when a Jewish boy comes in to time how long it takes for him to clean?
3. What is the name of Miss Moss' daughter?
4. What does the black comrade tell Richard would bolster his credibility?
5. Who joins Richard in Memphis?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)