|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the John Reed Club magazine?
(a) Common ground
(b) Left Front
(c) Right Front
(d) Middle ground
2. Where does Richard find work?
(a) A movie theater
(b) A hostel
(c) A delicatessen
(d) A restaurant
3. What is Wright fearful of doing at work?
(a) Making a mistake
(b) Offending the whites
(d) Giving in to stealing
4. Why does Richard wait two days before his departure to tell his boss that he is leaving?
(a) To get more money
(b) To help him find someone else
(c) To annoy him
(d) To minimize the fricton
5. What does the black comrade tell Richard would bolster his credibility?
(a) A white mistress
(b) A confrontation with the police
(c) A night on the town
(d) Drive a truck
6. What is Shorty willing to do for money?
(c) Demean himself
(d) Put himself in danger
7. What is Matther's nickname?
(b) Screw loose
8. Who gives Richard a sly smile before Richard leaves work?
(b) Miss Molly
9. What is the name of the magazine H. L. Mencken edits?
(a) American Mercury
(b) Lets Love
(c) Where the Buffalo Roam
(d) American Buffalo
10. Why does Richard not find Bess attractive?
(a) She is insensitive
(b) She is humorless
(c) She is childish and dull
(d) She is mentally impaired
11. What is the name of the drug doctors use to sedate the dogs?
12. Where does RIchard take a job?
(a) A cake shop
(b) A bomb factory
(c) A cafe
(d) An optical shop
13. What does Richard say he feels like when a Jewish boy comes in to time how long it takes for him to clean?
(a) A slave
(b) A child
(d) An idiot
14. What does kind of company does Richard join?
(a) A television company
(b) A phone company
(c) A optics company
(d) An insurance agency
15. What is Mencken famous as?
(a) A short story writer
(b) A novelist
(c) An essayist and critic
(d) A journalist
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Richard and his friend find bootleg liquor?
2. What does Yound accuse Swann of being?
3. Where does Richard work with restless boys?
4. Who does Richard write biographical sketches for?
5. What reason does Shorty give for not joining Richard?
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)