|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reason does Richard give for leaving the South?
(a) To have more freedom
(b) To write
(c) To get married
(d) To be near his mother
2. What is the name of Richard's foreman?
3. What reason does Shorty give for not joining Richard?
(a) He is lazy
(b) He has too many responibilities
(c) He earns a lot of money
(d) He likes the South
4. What does Richard say he wants his bridge of words to connect with?
(a) The inside world
(b) The white world
(c) The black world
(d) The outside world
5. What is Matther's nickname?
(d) Screw loose
6. What does Richard say he feels like when a Jewish boy comes in to time how long it takes for him to clean?
(b) A slave
(c) An idiot
(d) A child
7. Which two characters go to Chicago first?
(a) Richard and Maggie
(b) Alan and Ellie
(c) Alan and Maggie
(d) Richard and Alan
8. Whose teachings do the Garveyites follow?
(a) Marvin Garvey
(b) James Garvey
(c) Malcolm X
(d) Charles Darwin
9. Where does RIchard take a job?
(a) A cafe
(b) An optical shop
(c) A bomb factory
(d) A cake shop
10. What is Bill's favorite phrase?
(a) Hang em all
(b) Brain drain
(c) Watch your back Jack
(d) Let us all start over again
11. What political party are many of Richard's friends members of?
(a) The Fascist party
(b) The Communist party
(c) The Democratic party
(d) The Black Panthers
12. What style of poem does Wright write for the magazine?
(a) Free verse
(b) A haiku
(c) A limerick
(d) A sonnet
13. Where does Richard wait in line in this chapter?
(a) The post office
(b) The relief station
(c) The grocery store
(d) The paper store
14. Who does the editorial attack?
(a) Mark Twain
(b) William Faulkner
(c) H.L. Mencken
(d) James Dean
15. What does Richard refuse to accept from a white customer?
(c) A present
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Yound accuse Swann of being?
2. Whose work does Wright want to read?
3. What role does Richard get at the Federal Relief Theater?
4. What depresses Wright about Chicago?
5. Who does Richard find is trying to oust him from his position at the Federal Negro Theater?
This section contains 374 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)