|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who gives Richard a sly smile before Richard leaves work?
(a) Miss Molly
2. Who throws Richard out of the May Day parade?
(a) Two black Communists
(b) Security guards
(c) Two white Communists
(d) The mayor
3. Who does Richard find is trying to oust him from his position at the Federal Negro Theater?
(a) The American government
(b) The Fascists
(c) The Communists
(d) The Chicago mayor
4. What political party are many of Richard's friends members of?
(a) The Communist party
(b) The Fascist party
(c) The Black Panthers
(d) The Democratic party
5. What style of poem does Wright write for the magazine?
(a) A haiku
(b) A limerick
(c) Free verse
(d) A sonnet
6. Who joins Richard in Memphis?
(a) His father
(b) His Uncle Tom
(c) His brother and mother
(d) His grandmother
7. What is Shorty willing to do for money?
(a) Put himself in danger
(d) Demean himself
8. What does the black comrade tell Richard would bolster his credibility?
(a) A white mistress
(b) Drive a truck
(c) A night on the town
(d) A confrontation with the police
9. What role does Richard get at the Federal Relief Theater?
(a) Light technician
(c) Casting agent
(d) Publicity agent
10. Why does Richard not find Bess attractive?
(a) She is mentally impaired
(b) She is insensitive
(c) She is childish and dull
(d) She is humorless
11. What is Wright fearful of doing at work?
(a) Offending the whites
(b) Giving in to stealing
(c) Making a mistake
12. What event causes Richard to lose a lot of his hours at the post office?
(a) The First World War
(b) The Second World War
(c) The Great Depression
(d) The Vietnam War
13. What does Shorty allow a white man to do to him for a quarter?
(a) Kick him
(b) Kiss him
(c) Hit him
(d) Push him over
14. Whose work does Wright want to read?
15. What is the name of Miss Moss' daughter?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Richard need to do to to get the position at the post office?
2. What does the Party charge Ross with?
3. Where do the Hoffmans operate their store?
4. What is Matther's nickname?
5. Which two characters go to Chicago first?
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)