|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reason does Richard give for leaving the South?
(a) To be near his mother
(b) To get married
(c) To have more freedom
(d) To write
2. What is the name of the magazine H. L. Mencken edits?
(a) American Buffalo
(b) American Mercury
(c) Lets Love
(d) Where the Buffalo Roam
3. What is Shorty willing to do for money?
(b) Put himself in danger
(d) Demean himself
4. What does Richard need to do to to get the position at the post office?
(b) Buy a suit
(c) Rent an apartment
(d) Put on weight
5. Who is the only person among Richard's family in Chicago who does not fall ill?
6. What is Wright fearful of doing at work?
(a) Giving in to stealing
(c) Offending the whites
(d) Making a mistake
7. Where do Richard and his friend find bootleg liquor?
(a) Floating on the water
(b) Under floorboards
(c) In a sand pit
(d) In a patch of weeds
8. What is the name of the drug doctors use to sedate the dogs?
9. What is Ross facing legal prosecution for?
(c) Attempted murder
10. Why does Richard not find Bess attractive?
(a) She is humorless
(b) She is insensitive
(c) She is mentally impaired
(d) She is childish and dull
11. Who joins Richard in Memphis?
(a) His grandmother
(b) His Uncle Tom
(c) His brother and mother
(d) His father
12. What parade does Richard try to be part of?
(a) St George Day
(b) May Day
(c) Independence Day
(d) St Patrick's Day
13. What do the black Communists brand Wright as?
(a) An intellectual
(b) A worker
(c) A snob
(d) An Uncle Tom
14. Whose work does Wright want to read?
15. Where does Richard wait in line in this chapter?
(a) The post office
(b) The relief station
(c) The grocery store
(d) The paper store
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the black comrade tell Richard would bolster his credibility?
2. Where does Young's identification state he has escaped from?
3. Where does Richard find work?
4. What does Yound accuse Swann of being?
5. What does Richard refuse to accept from a white customer?
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)