|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Richard say he feels like when a Jewish boy comes in to time how long it takes for him to clean?
(a) An idiot
(b) A child
(d) A slave
2. Where does Richard wait in line in this chapter?
(a) The post office
(b) The relief station
(c) The grocery store
(d) The paper store
3. What character working in the hospital basement scares Richard?
4. What is Wright fearful of doing at work?
(a) Making a mistake
(b) Offending the whites
(c) Giving in to stealing
5. What do the black Communists brand Wright as?
(a) A worker
(b) A snob
(c) An Uncle Tom
(d) An intellectual
6. What is Mencken famous as?
(a) An essayist and critic
(b) A journalist
(c) A novelist
(d) A short story writer
7. What city does Richard arrive at in this chapter?
(b) Los Angeles
(d) New York
8. Whose teachings do the Garveyites follow?
(a) James Garvey
(b) Marvin Garvey
(c) Charles Darwin
(d) Malcolm X
9. What is the name of the John Reed Club magazine?
(a) Common ground
(b) Middle ground
(c) Right Front
(d) Left Front
10. What reason does Shorty give for not joining Richard?
(a) He earns a lot of money
(b) He is lazy
(c) He likes the South
(d) He has too many responibilities
11. What political party are many of Richard's friends members of?
(a) The Democratic party
(b) The Black Panthers
(c) The Fascist party
(d) The Communist party
12. What is Matther's nickname?
(b) Screw loose
13. Who gives Richard a sly smile before Richard leaves work?
(d) Miss Molly
14. What does Richard refuse to accept from a white customer?
(d) A present
15. What is Shorty's job at the optical shop?
(a) Floor mopper
(b) Toilet cleaner
(c) Lens maker
(d) Elevator man
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Richard not find Bess attractive?
2. What does Richard tell his black comrade he does for a living?
3. What does Richard think he needs to build a bridge of?
4. What is the name of Richard's new landlady?
5. What role does Richard get at the Federal Relief Theater?
This section contains 355 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)