|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Granny and Addie give up their efforts to do?
(a) Find work
(b) Fight for the end of segregation
(c) Find a husband
(d) Save Richard's soul
2. Who does Richard associate hunger with?
(a) White people
(b) His mother
(c) His grandma
(d) His father
3. What does the white security guard threaten Richard with?
(a) A fist
(b) A stick
(c) A knife
(d) A gun
4. Where did the black boy work?
(a) A restaurant
(b) A cafe
(c) A hotel
(d) A factory
5. Who is Granny renting a room to?
(a) A school teacher
(b) A communist
(c) A factory owner
(d) A cook
6. What kind of school does Richard enter?
(a) Boarding school
(b) Law school
(c) Public school
(d) Religious school
7. What does Richard's mother think will happen if people think Richard has a weak mind?
(a) He won't get a job
(b) He will end up in an institution
(c) People will bully him
(d) People will take advantage
8. Whose propaganda are the newspapers full of?
(a) The Facists
(b) The Capitalists
(c) The Klu Klux Klan
(d) The Communists
9. When does the policeman say Richard should not make deliveries to white neighborhoods?
(a) The weekend
(b) After dark
(c) The weekdays
(d) In the morning
10. What does Richard refuse from his neighbors?
11. On what level does religion interest Richard?
12. How does Richard kill the kitten?
(a) Strangles it
(b) Shoots it
(c) Hangs it
(d) Burns it
13. Who does Richard learn that the whites have killed?
(a) The brother of a housemate
(b) A second uncle
(c) His brother
(d) His father
14. What does the congregation pressure Richard and other boys to do?
(a) Build a church
(b) Find girlfriends
(d) Get baptized
15. Where does Maggie live?
(a) New York
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ella have to stop work?
2. What does Richard reason that an honest living would lead to?
3. What does Granny do when Richard complains about her restrictions?
4. Who does Richard persuade to publish his short story?
5. What does Granny think Richard has said?
This section contains 379 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)