|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Richard help Granny to request money from her relatives?
(a) Writes letters
(b) Blackmails them
(c) Sends telegrams
(d) Visits them
2. What does Richard do when his employers mock him for wanting to become a writer?
(b) Slaps her
(c) Laughs at her
(d) Breaks a window
3. Why does Granny refuse to pay for Richard's school books?
(a) They are too expensive
(b) They are sinful
(c) They are too fun
(d) They are too worldly
4. What is the title of the short story that Richard writes?
(a) Garden Wars
(b) Black Boys in Wonderland
(c) The Voodoo of Hell's Half-Acre
(d) Feeling Low is a Normal Feeling For Me
5. How does Richard kill the kitten?
(a) Shoots it
(b) Strangles it
(c) Burns it
(d) Hangs it
6. What does Richard have to call his aunt in class?
(b) Miss Doran
(c) Miss Wilson
7. What does Richard see in the storeroom on the floor?
8. Who does Richard persuade to publish his short story?
(a) The New York Times
(b) The local black newspaper
(c) The Chicago Tribune
(d) The local newsletter
9. What does Richard do to gain acceptance at his new school?
(c) Talk back to the teachers
10. What does Richard vow never to do again?
(b) Talk to his grandma
(d) Go back to the south
11. What is Richard able to steal from the next white family he works for?
12. Where does Maggie live?
(a) New York
13. Who does Richard have to write to for help?
(a) Uncle Tom
(b) His grandma
(d) His father
14. What does Granny do when Richard complains about her restrictions?
(a) Prays for him
(b) Kisses him
(c) Slaps him
(d) Whips him
15. Where is Richard going when the boys rob him?
(a) The library
(b) The paper shop
(c) The grocery store
Short Answer Questions
1. What does one of the workers show Richard to demonstrate how dangerous working at the sawmill can be?
2. Why can Richard not write his own speech at his graduation?
3. Who writes a speech for Wright to read at his graduation?
4. What is the name of Granny's religion?
5. What does Wright say he would have done if he had known there were so many obstacles to overcome as a writer?
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)