|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Richard making a delivery to when a policeman stops him?
(a) A black neighborhood
(b) A white neighborhood
(c) A rich neighborhood
(d) His boss' house
2. Who does Richard start working for?
(a) The local library
(b) A Jewish family
(c) The American post office
(d) A white family
3. Where does Maggie live?
(d) New York
4. What does Wright say he would have done if he had known there were so many obstacles to overcome as a writer?
(a) Moved to Paris
(b) Gone to a deserted island
(c) Abandoned his quest
(d) Married early
5. Where do Richard and his family move to after the house burns down?
(b) New York
6. Which of the following does Richard set fire to?
7. Who does Richard see beat a black woman?
(a) His boss' wife
(b) His brother
(c) His boss
(d) The mayor
8. What does Ella think her son's writing will lead people to think he has?
(a) A homosexual life
(b) No friends
(c) A Godless mind
(d) A weak mind
9. What part of Arkansas does Maggie live in?
10. Who writes a speech for Wright to read at his graduation?
(a) Miss Harper
(b) The governor
(c) His brother
(d) The principal
11. Why can Richard not write his own speech at his graduation?
(a) White people will be present
(b) His cannot spell
(c) He does not have enough time
(d) The principle wants to promote the school
12. Where did the black boy work?
(a) A factory
(b) A cafe
(c) A restaurant
(d) A hotel
13. What happens to Richard's bike when he is making a delivery in this chapter?
(a) Its frame snaps
(b) It gets a flat tire
(c) Its wheel buckles
(d) Its pedals fall off
14. What is the name of Richard's brother?
15. What do the white youths smash into Richard's face?
(a) A rock
(b) A whiskey bottle
(c) A weight
(d) A glass jar
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Richard work next?
2. Where are the newspaper's printed?
3. Who does Richard choose to live with?
4. What does one of the workers show Richard to demonstrate how dangerous working at the sawmill can be?
5. Who does Richard have to write to for help?
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)