|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Richard do when his employers mock him for wanting to become a writer?
(a) Breaks a window
(b) Laughs at her
(c) Slaps her
2. Where does Richard work the following summer?
(a) A grocery store
(b) A watermill
(c) A sawmill
(d) A bomb factory
3. Who writes a speech for Wright to read at his graduation?
(a) Miss Harper
(b) The principal
(c) His brother
(d) The governor
4. What does Richard start selling to earn money?
(d) Life insurance
5. What does Granny think Richard has said?
(a) He has seen an angel
(b) He has seen a naked woman
(c) He believes in the devil
(d) He has found God
6. Why does Ella have to stop work?
(a) She has won the lottery
(b) She wants to spend more time with her children
(c) She is ill
(d) She is pregnant
7. Where does Richard work next?
(a) A clothing store
(b) A factory
(c) A candle store
(d) A record store
8. What does the principal think he will keep Richard from doing if he does not read his speech?
9. Where do Richard and his family move to after the house burns down?
(d) New York
10. Why does Richard's boss fire him?
(a) He is always reading
(b) He is always late
(c) He thinks he steals money
(d) He does not like his silent disapproval
11. Which of the following does Richard set fire to?
12. Who does Richard start working for?
(a) A white family
(b) A Jewish family
(c) The American post office
(d) The local library
13. Why do Pease and Reynolds refuse to train Richard on the optic machines?
(a) They need training themselves
(b) They are too dangerous
(c) People should not need to be trained
(d) It is white man's work
14. How does Richard help Granny to request money from her relatives?
(a) Writes letters
(b) Blackmails them
(c) Sends telegrams
(d) Visits them
15. How does Richard kill the kitten?
(a) Burns it
(b) Strangles it
(c) Hangs it
(d) Shoots it
Short Answer Questions
1. When does the policeman say Richard should not make deliveries to white neighborhoods?
2. What does Richard use to make deliveries?
3. Why does Richard hesitate in engaging in thievery in the hotel?
4. What does Ella think her son's writing will lead people to think he has?
5. What does Uncle Clark assign Richard with as soon as he arrives?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)