|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ella think her son's writing will lead people to think he has?
(a) A weak mind
(b) No friends
(c) A Godless mind
(d) A homosexual life
2. What does Wright say he would have done if he had known there were so many obstacles to overcome as a writer?
(a) Gone to a deserted island
(b) Abandoned his quest
(c) Married early
(d) Moved to Paris
3. What does the congregation pressure Richard and other boys to do?
(a) Build a church
(b) Find girlfriends
(c) Get baptized
4. Who writes a speech for Wright to read at his graduation?
(a) Miss Harper
(b) The governor
(c) The principal
(d) His brother
5. Why does Granny refuse to pay for Richard's school books?
(a) They are sinful
(b) They are too fun
(c) They are too expensive
(d) They are too worldly
6. Who is Granny renting a room to?
(a) A factory owner
(b) A communist
(c) A cook
(d) A school teacher
7. What does Richard typically eat for breakfast?
(a) Biscuits and gravy
(b) Gruel and noodles
(c) Eggs and toast
(d) Flour and lard mush
8. What part of Arkansas does Maggie live in?
9. What does Nathan work as?
(a) Night porter
10. Why can Richard not write his own speech at his graduation?
(a) He does not have enough time
(b) His cannot spell
(c) White people will be present
(d) The principle wants to promote the school
11. Where does the piece of glass cut Richard?
(a) On the neck
(b) On the nose
(c) On the back of his knee
(d) Behind the ear
12. What happens to Richard's bike when he is making a delivery in this chapter?
(a) Its wheel buckles
(b) It gets a flat tire
(c) Its pedals fall off
(d) Its frame snaps
13. What does Wright do after he gives his speech?
(b) Gives a black power salute
(c) Turns his back on the crowd
(d) Walks away
14. Why does Wright's boss beat the black woman?
(a) She cannot afford to pay her credit installments
(b) He was bored
(c) She stole form the shop
(d) She talked back to him
15. What do Wright and his co workers do to steal $200?
(b) Re-sell tickets
(c) Sell drugs
(d) Sell alcohol
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Richard do when his employers mock him for wanting to become a writer?
2. What does Granny think Richard has said?
3. On what level does religion interest Richard?
4. Who does Richard start working for?
5. How does Richard kill the kitten?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)