|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Richard and his family move to after the house burns down?
(d) New York
2. What kind of food does the woman offer Richard to eat?
(a) Meat balls
(b) Soul food
(c) Gourmet food
(d) Moldy food
3. What kind of school does Richard enter?
(a) Religious school
(b) Public school
(c) Boarding school
(d) Law school
4. What is the name of Richard's brother?
5. What kind of church does Richard attend with his mother?
6. Why can Richard not write his own speech at his graduation?
(a) The principle wants to promote the school
(b) His cannot spell
(c) He does not have enough time
(d) White people will be present
7. What does Brother Mance sell?
(b) Plastic surgery
8. What does one of the workers show Richard to demonstrate how dangerous working at the sawmill can be?
(a) Hospital reports
(b) His missing fingers
(d) The worker's graveyard
9. What does Richard's mother think will happen if people think Richard has a weak mind?
(a) He won't get a job
(b) People will bully him
(c) He will end up in an institution
(d) People will take advantage
10. What does the congregation pressure Richard and other boys to do?
(a) Find girlfriends
(b) Get baptized
(d) Build a church
11. How does Griggs know Richard?
(a) He is an old housemate
(b) He is an ex colleague
(c) His is a cousin
(d) He is a former classmate
12. Where does Richard work next?
(a) A record store
(b) A candle store
(c) A factory
(d) A clothing store
13. Why did the whites kill the black boy?
(a) He walked into a white cafe
(b) He was consorting with a white prostitute
(c) He stole money
(d) He spoke out of turn to his boss
14. What does Nathan work as?
(c) Night porter
15. What does Wright do after he gives his speech?
(a) Walks away
(c) Turns his back on the crowd
(d) Gives a black power salute
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Richard see beat a black woman?
2. What does Ella think her son's writing will lead people to think he has?
3. What does Richard pawn in this chapter?
4. Why does Wright's boss beat the black woman?
5. What does Wright say he would have done if he had known there were so many obstacles to overcome as a writer?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)