* Richard Wright is brought up in a poor black family in Natchez, Tennessee.
* At four-years-old, Richard attempts to burn down his Grandmother's house and kills a stray kitten.
* Richard's father, unable to cope with raising a family in poverty, abandons his wife and children.
* Richard's mother has no choice but to put her children into an orphanage.
* Richard's mother finally takes her children out of the orphanage with the idea of moving to Arkansas to live with her sister.
* Before moving to Arkansas, the family stays with Grandma in Mississippi.
* At Grandma's house Richaad learns the power of reading, but he struggles with his Grandma's religious zealotry.
* Richard and his family take a train to Arkansas. Richard is made aware of segregation for the first time when he has to sit in a part separate from the white passengers.
* Richard experiences plentiful food and strong male...
This section contains 1,381 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)