|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes a shadow to fall across the Odyssey launch platform, which causes Dirk's heart to skip a beat?
2. How do those on board the Koguryo know something is wrong with the Odyssey?
3. What new craft do Pitt and Giordino pick up at LAX in Chapter 48?
4. Who is captain of the Odyssey?
5. Where are the remains of the rocket payload taken to for analysis?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tongju do with Dirk and Jack after their capture on the Odyssey, and what does he tell them?
2. How does Dirk Sr. try to foil the launch of the rocket from the Odyssey?
3. What plan do NUMA and homeland security officials put into action in Chapter 43?
4. What happens after Pitt Sr. and Al spot several ships in their surveillance system on board the blimp?
5. Describe Dirk's role with the SEAL team in Chapter 64.
6. How does Pitt Sr. escape the sinking Odyssey platform?
7. What do Dirk and Summer plan to do after joining the Deep Endeavor in Chapter 46?
8. Describe what happens to the Zenit rocket after its launch.
9. What ultimately happens to the Koguryo and to Lee?
10. What happens to the Badger upon the launch of the rocket from the Odyssey?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Virtually all of Black Wind takes place either above, on the surface of, or under the sea. It is obviously an environment Cussler feels comfortable with. Discuss whether or not the sea itself could be considered a character in the book, whether it is benign or threatening, how the characters relate to it, and if the story be told in some fashion on dry land. Consider, too, if the sea could act as a symbol. If so, what might it be symbolic of?
Essay Topic 2
Foreshadowing is a literary technique by which an author alerts a reader to some degree for what will happen later in his work. Cussler uses this technique effectively. Discuss how he employs foreshadowing in this novel. In your discussion, evaluate whether his use of foreshadowing is part of the general atmosphere of the work, if he employs a specific scene or object which gives a clue as to what might happen later in the plot, or a combination of both. Cite examples.
Essay Topic 3
Evaluate Cussler as a storyteller. How effective is he at winding out a yarn? Can you evaluate his storytelling ability apart from his writing style, the believability of his characters, and the plausibility of the plot? If he were to ask your counsel, i.e. "How can I improve my storytelling?", what would you tell him? Consider his writing style. How would you define it? What about the elements of pacing? His ability to keep the reader engaged? To move readers to complete "just one more chapter?" Identify specific elements from the book that support your answers.
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)