|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is commander of the Navy SEAL team searching for Kang?
2. What does Jack hide in and drive toward a couple of guards on the Odyssey?
3. What does Tongju do with Dirk and Dahlgren immediately after their capture?
4. Where does Kang's ship plan to go after the rocket launch?
5. Who intervenes as Dirk and Dahlgren overcome two guards on the Odyssey?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the blimp after it first takes off from the Odyssey?
2. Describe Dirk Jr.'s feelings as he watches the launch from the Odyssey in Chapter 59.
3. What information do Dirk and Summer share with the authorities in Chapter 41?
4. Describe the end of Tongju.
5. What happens to Kwan and Kang's empire?
6. What plan do NUMA and homeland security officials put into action in Chapter 43?
7. What happens to the Badger upon the launch of the rocket from the Odyssey?
8. Describe Ling's function on board the Koguryo.
9. What do Dirk Jr. and Dahlgren do after the destruction of the Coast Guard ship?
10. What do Dirk Pitt, Sr., and Al do after they land at LAX in Chapter 48?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are two obvious "male buddy" relationships found in Black Wind. One is the relationship between Dirk Sr. and Al; the other is between Dirk Jr. and Jack. Compare and contrast these two relationships. How are they similar? How are they different? Which is more convincing and realistic? Why does Cussler emphasize these kinds of relationships?
Essay Topic 2
Black Wind was a father/son endeavor, written by both Clive Cussler and Dirk Cussler. Evaluate the effectiveness of this teamwork. Identify any shifts in plot or tone that might be due to a different writer. Speculate as to why Clive Cussler may have included Dirk Cussler in the project. Finally, evaluate why Clive Cussler might have inserted himself into the story, and whether that is a wise choice or not. For additional consideration, can you think of other books or movies where an author or filmmaker might have inserted themselves into a story or film as a "cameo?" Is that a novelty or vanity move, or can it enhance the story?
Essay Topic 3
In Black Wind, the good guys are uncomplicated, straightforward, untainted heroes; the bad guys are irredeemably bad. Choose three characters from each category, either heroes or villains. For each character, write an analysis. Include any nuances in each character you discover. For instance, note any elements of Dirk Jr.'s character that show him to be conflicted in any way; for Kang, note and discuss any positive traits. Also note whether Cussler has written two dimensional characters or characters with some depth. Evaluate whether or not his choices in characterization could have made for a better or worse novel.
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)