|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Kang and his men plan to sink the Sea Rover?
2. Who is the captain of the Chinese junk in Chapter 26?
3. What happens to Chris Gavin?
4. What are Dirk Pitt, Sr., and Al Giordino doing in the Philippines?
5. What do Summer and Dirk make their escape from Kang's lair with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Dirk Pitt, Sr., and Al Giordino do in response to Raul Biazon's request in Chapter 12?
2. What is revealed to have happened in the town of Warrenton in 1942?
3. What do Dirk and Sarah surmise about the fishing trawler at the conclusion of Chapter 3?
4. How do Dirk and Sarah escape the thugs in the Cadillac in Chapter 18?
5. What do Dirk and Summer discover has happened as they return from their exploration of the I-411 in Chapter 27?
6. What will the disease-laden weapon that Kang plans to launch accomplish?
7. Describe briefly the history of the use of Zyklon B.
8. How does Kang plan to use the Odyssey in Chapter 37?
9. Why does Tanaka lie to Commander Ogawa in the introduction when Ogawa asks if his crew is in danger in the book's introduction?
10. Where was it supposed that stocks of smallpox virus were stored, as cited in Chapter 15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Looking at Black Wind as a whole, describe what you think the authors were trying to accomplish. Consider whether they were trying to make a statement about the current world situation, whether the book should be viewed as as treatise of good vs. evil, or if the goal was just to tell a rip-roaring adventure yarn. Do not limit yourself to these suggestions - place yourself in the Cusslers' shoes as Clive said, "OK, son, what do you want to do with this book?" Justify your answers in detail.
Essay Topic 2
In Black Wind, the good guys are uncomplicated, straightforward, untainted heroes; the bad guys are irredeemably bad. Choose three characters from each category, either heroes or villains. For each character, write an analysis. Include any nuances in each character you discover. For instance, note any elements of Dirk Jr.'s character that show him to be conflicted in any way; for Kang, note and discuss any positive traits. Also note whether Cussler has written two dimensional characters or characters with some depth. Evaluate whether or not his choices in characterization could have made for a better or worse novel.
Essay Topic 3
Black Wind was a father/son endeavor, written by both Clive Cussler and Dirk Cussler. Evaluate the effectiveness of this teamwork. Identify any shifts in plot or tone that might be due to a different writer. Speculate as to why Clive Cussler may have included Dirk Cussler in the project. Finally, evaluate why Clive Cussler might have inserted himself into the story, and whether that is a wise choice or not. For additional consideration, can you think of other books or movies where an author or filmmaker might have inserted themselves into a story or film as a "cameo?" Is that a novelty or vanity move, or can it enhance the story?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)