|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Sea Rover search for in Chapter 22?
2. Who does Dirk call after Cussler returns him to Inchon?
3. How do Kang and his men plan to sink the Sea Rover?
4. What possibly airborne toxin seems to be responsible for the illness of the scientists in Chapter 5?
5. Where does the research vessel go after returning to port at the opening of Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Tanaka lie to Commander Ogawa in the introduction when Ogawa asks if his crew is in danger in the book's introduction?
2. Describe Admiral Sandecker and his role in Chapter 31.
3. How do Dirk and Sarah escape the thugs in the Cadillac in Chapter 18?
4. What do Dirk Pitt, Sr., and Al Giordino do in response to Raul Biazon's request in Chapter 12?
5. What will the disease-laden weapon that Kang plans to launch accomplish?
6. Describe briefly the history of the use of Zyklon B.
7. What do Dirk and Summer discover has happened as they return from their exploration of the I-411 in Chapter 27?
8. Describe the assassin in Chapter 4.
9. How do Dirk and Summer go about exploring the sunken Japanese submarine in Chapter 24, and what do they discover?
10. Describe Kang's role as he is revealed in Chapter 14.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few ... or the one," Mr. Spock said. Throughout Black Wind, the heroes are put in situations where personal sacrifice is a possible course of action. Identify several incidents in the book where one or more of the characters took Mr. Spock's admonition to heart. Describe those incidents, the crisis that precipitated the incident, and the characters' response to it. Discuss whether or not sacrifice was actually called for or whether an alternative response would have been just as effective.
Essay Topic 2
Two women play notable roles in Black Wind - Dirk Jr.'s sister, Summer, and his girlfriend, Sarah. Discuss the place women hold in Black Wind. Evaluate the Cusslers' ability to write convincing female characters, if they are stereotypical or something unique, and what part they contribute to the novel. Compare and contrast these two women, noting if they are more active or passive parts of the story.
Essay Topic 3
Looking at Black Wind as a whole, describe what you think the authors were trying to accomplish. Consider whether they were trying to make a statement about the current world situation, whether the book should be viewed as as treatise of good vs. evil, or if the goal was just to tell a rip-roaring adventure yarn. Do not limit yourself to these suggestions - place yourself in the Cusslers' shoes as Clive said, "OK, son, what do you want to do with this book?" Justify your answers in detail.
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)