|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the Ukrainian that runs Kang's research lab?
2. What is Kang's plan for Korea?
3. Who is Irv Fowler?
4. Who was the creator of the G8 summit?
5. Who is the captain of the Sea Launch Commander?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the mission of the Japanese Red Army?
2. What is the combination of toxins used in the chemical/biological weapon described in Chapter 32?
3. What do Dirk and Sarah surmise about the fishing trawler at the conclusion of Chapter 3?
4. Why do Sarah and the other scientists survive the same toxin that killed the two meteorologists in Chapter 1?
5. Describe Kang's role as he is revealed in Chapter 14.
6. What do Dirk and Dahlgren discover about the I-403 in Chapter 9?
7. How do Dirk and Summer go about exploring the sunken Japanese submarine in Chapter 24, and what do they discover?
8. How does Kang plan to use the Odyssey in Chapter 37?
9. What does Kang plan to do with the Baekje?
10. Where was it supposed that stocks of smallpox virus were stored, as cited in Chapter 15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Foreshadowing is a literary technique by which an author alerts a reader to some degree for what will happen later in his work. Cussler uses this technique effectively. Discuss how he employs foreshadowing in this novel. In your discussion, evaluate whether his use of foreshadowing is part of the general atmosphere of the work, if he employs a specific scene or object which gives a clue as to what might happen later in the plot, or a combination of both. Cite examples.
Essay Topic 2
Black Wind begins, as do many of Cussler's books, with a historical incident. Explain why Cussler employs this technique. Discuss how the historical context provides foundation for the rest of the story. Discuss how effective this device is, going into some detail as to whether this acts as a distraction or as a necessary part of the storytelling.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the way Cussler structures his plot. Is he a "formula" writer? If so, what "formula" does he use? Analyzing the book as a whole, compare the book to other books or movies in popular culture. Since the Dirk Pitt books are considered a series or "franchise," compare them to other series or franchises. In your discussion, rate Cussler's work in Black Wind to any one entry in another series (we are assuming that Black Wind is the only Dirk Pitt novel you have read.) Compare and contrast heroes, villains, plots, etc.
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)