|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Hiram Yaeger?
2. How do Sarah and her fellow scientists survive?
3. What does Dirk research when stopping at a small town called Warrenton?
4. How does Summer save Dirk from drowning?
5. What attacks the Sea Rover in Chapter 26?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the assassin in Chapter 4.
2. What do Dirk and Sarah surmise about the fishing trawler at the conclusion of Chapter 3?
3. Why do Sarah and the other scientists survive the same toxin that killed the two meteorologists in Chapter 1?
4. What is revealed to have happened in the town of Warrenton in 1942?
5. What are Kang and those on board the Sea Rover looking for in Chapter 22?
6. What is significant about the Chinese junk that rescues Dirk and Summer in Chapter 36?
7. Describe what happens as the Sea Rover is being flooded in Chapter 28 and how the crew is rescued.
8. What happens to Keith Catana in Chapter 11?
9. What is Kang's true motivation for wanting the American military out of South Korea?
10. What is the mission of the Japanese Red Army?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A good villain can make or break a story. Evaluate Kang - his nature, his mind, his strategy, his tactics, and his temperament as he relates to the story. Discuss in detail his "psychological profile," citing specific incidents or quotes that support your findings. Discuss his relationships with both his henchmen and the story's protagonists. Determine and discuss his effectiveness as a villain as he serves the story.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the way Cussler structures his plot. Is he a "formula" writer? If so, what "formula" does he use? Analyzing the book as a whole, compare the book to other books or movies in popular culture. Since the Dirk Pitt books are considered a series or "franchise," compare them to other series or franchises. In your discussion, rate Cussler's work in Black Wind to any one entry in another series (we are assuming that Black Wind is the only Dirk Pitt novel you have read.) Compare and contrast heroes, villains, plots, etc.
Essay Topic 3
Looking at Black Wind as a whole, describe what you think the authors were trying to accomplish. Consider whether they were trying to make a statement about the current world situation, whether the book should be viewed as as treatise of good vs. evil, or if the goal was just to tell a rip-roaring adventure yarn. Do not limit yourself to these suggestions - place yourself in the Cusslers' shoes as Clive said, "OK, son, what do you want to do with this book?" Justify your answers in detail.
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)