|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the veteran engineer who prepares the Odyssey for sea travel?
2. What port does the Baekje dock at?
3. What river does Kang's lair overlook?
4. Where is Kang's private island lair?
5. What is the sunken Japanese ship in Chapter 13 leaking?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Dirk and Dahlgren discover about the I-403 in Chapter 9?
2. What is the mission of the Japanese Red Army?
3. What do Dirk and Summer discover has happened as they return from their exploration of the I-411 in Chapter 27?
4. What does Kang plan to do with the Baekje?
5. What do Dirk and Sarah surmise about the fishing trawler at the conclusion of Chapter 3?
6. Describe the death of the first two meteorologists in Chapter 1.
7. Why do Sarah and the other scientists survive the same toxin that killed the two meteorologists in Chapter 1?
8. Where was it supposed that stocks of smallpox virus were stored, as cited in Chapter 15?
9. Describe how Dirk and Summer escape from the I-411 in Chapter 25.
10. Describe what happens on board the command boat that is supposed to launch with the Odyssey in Chapter 40.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate Cussler as a storyteller. How effective is he at winding out a yarn? Can you evaluate his storytelling ability apart from his writing style, the believability of his characters, and the plausibility of the plot? If he were to ask your counsel, i.e. "How can I improve my storytelling?", what would you tell him? Consider his writing style. How would you define it? What about the elements of pacing? His ability to keep the reader engaged? To move readers to complete "just one more chapter?" Identify specific elements from the book that support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
In an action novel, it might be tempting for the reader to skip over the "boring" parts to get to the "good parts." How well do the Cusslers perform the writer's task of pacing a novel? Discuss the pace of the novel, noting if it is successful in keeping the reader engaged through the "slow" parts, and whether or not the action sequences are well-staged and understandable. Use specific sections or setpieces in the novel to support your contentions. Note, too, any tricks of the writer's trade the Cusslers employ to keep the pages turning.
Essay Topic 3
Two women play notable roles in Black Wind - Dirk Jr.'s sister, Summer, and his girlfriend, Sarah. Discuss the place women hold in Black Wind. Evaluate the Cusslers' ability to write convincing female characters, if they are stereotypical or something unique, and what part they contribute to the novel. Compare and contrast these two women, noting if they are more active or passive parts of the story.
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)