|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Dirk and Summer find on board the I-411?
2. What attacks the Sea Rover in Chapter 26?
3. Where are the U.S. ambassador to Japan and British ambassador to Japan found at the opening of Chapter 4?
4. What virus does Kang's research lab chief try to combine with smallpox?
5. What is the name of the Japanese sub Dirk and Dahlgren investigate in Chapters 8 and 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kang plan to use the Odyssey in Chapter 37?
2. Describe the death of the first two meteorologists in Chapter 1.
3. What do Dirk Pitt, Sr., and Al Giordino do in response to Raul Biazon's request in Chapter 12?
4. Describe how Dirk and Summer escape from the I-411 in Chapter 25.
5. What are Kang and those on board the Sea Rover looking for in Chapter 22?
6. How do Dirk and Sarah escape the thugs in the Cadillac in Chapter 18?
7. What will the disease-laden weapon that Kang plans to launch accomplish?
8. What is so audacious about the way Kang plans to kill Dirk and Summer in Chapter 34?
9. Describe Admiral Sandecker and his role in Chapter 31.
10. What happens to Keith Catana in Chapter 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Looking at Black Wind as a whole, describe what you think the authors were trying to accomplish. Consider whether they were trying to make a statement about the current world situation, whether the book should be viewed as as treatise of good vs. evil, or if the goal was just to tell a rip-roaring adventure yarn. Do not limit yourself to these suggestions - place yourself in the Cusslers' shoes as Clive said, "OK, son, what do you want to do with this book?" Justify your answers in detail.
Essay Topic 2
Black Wind was a father/son endeavor, written by both Clive Cussler and Dirk Cussler. Evaluate the effectiveness of this teamwork. Identify any shifts in plot or tone that might be due to a different writer. Speculate as to why Clive Cussler may have included Dirk Cussler in the project. Finally, evaluate why Clive Cussler might have inserted himself into the story, and whether that is a wise choice or not. For additional consideration, can you think of other books or movies where an author or filmmaker might have inserted themselves into a story or film as a "cameo?" Is that a novelty or vanity move, or can it enhance the story?
Essay Topic 3
Two women play notable roles in Black Wind - Dirk Jr.'s sister, Summer, and his girlfriend, Sarah. Discuss the place women hold in Black Wind. Evaluate the Cusslers' ability to write convincing female characters, if they are stereotypical or something unique, and what part they contribute to the novel. Compare and contrast these two women, noting if they are more active or passive parts of the story.
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)