|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Chris Gavin?
2. Who is Kang's assistant?
3. Who is Ed Coyle?
4. Who is the captain of the Sea Launch Commander?
5. What river does Kang's lair overlook?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Dirk and Summer discover has happened as they return from their exploration of the I-411 in Chapter 27?
2. Describe the assassin in Chapter 4.
3. What happens to Keith Catana in Chapter 11?
4. What is the mission of the Japanese Red Army?
5. What will the disease-laden weapon that Kang plans to launch accomplish?
6. What is Kang's true motivation for wanting the American military out of South Korea?
7. What do Dirk Pitt, Sr., and Al Giordino do in response to Raul Biazon's request in Chapter 12?
8. How does Kang plan to use the Odyssey in Chapter 37?
9. What is so audacious about the way Kang plans to kill Dirk and Summer in Chapter 34?
10. Describe how Dirk and Summer escape from the I-411 in Chapter 25.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate Cussler as a storyteller. How effective is he at winding out a yarn? Can you evaluate his storytelling ability apart from his writing style, the believability of his characters, and the plausibility of the plot? If he were to ask your counsel, i.e. "How can I improve my storytelling?", what would you tell him? Consider his writing style. How would you define it? What about the elements of pacing? His ability to keep the reader engaged? To move readers to complete "just one more chapter?" Identify specific elements from the book that support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
In Black Wind, the good guys are uncomplicated, straightforward, untainted heroes; the bad guys are irredeemably bad. Choose three characters from each category, either heroes or villains. For each character, write an analysis. Include any nuances in each character you discover. For instance, note any elements of Dirk Jr.'s character that show him to be conflicted in any way; for Kang, note and discuss any positive traits. Also note whether Cussler has written two dimensional characters or characters with some depth. Evaluate whether or not his choices in characterization could have made for a better or worse novel.
Essay Topic 3
There are two obvious "male buddy" relationships found in Black Wind. One is the relationship between Dirk Sr. and Al; the other is between Dirk Jr. and Jack. Compare and contrast these two relationships. How are they similar? How are they different? Which is more convincing and realistic? Why does Cussler emphasize these kinds of relationships?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)