|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the bald man in the hotel room do to Catana?
2. Who is Raul Biazon?
3. How does one of the three men meeting with Kang in his mansion die?
4. Who does Dirk call after Cussler returns him to Inchon?
5. What happens to the U.S. Embassy's Deputy Chief of Mission?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Admiral Sandecker and his role in Chapter 31.
2. What do Dirk and Dahlgren discover about the I-403 in Chapter 9?
3. Describe the assassin in Chapter 4.
4. What is so audacious about the way Kang plans to kill Dirk and Summer in Chapter 34?
5. Describe what happens to Robert Bridges in Chapter 7.
6. How do Dirk and Sarah escape the thugs in the Cadillac in Chapter 18?
7. What do Dirk and Summer discover has happened as they return from their exploration of the I-411 in Chapter 27?
8. What happens to Keith Catana in Chapter 11?
9. Why do Sarah and the other scientists survive the same toxin that killed the two meteorologists in Chapter 1?
10. What do Dirk and Sarah surmise about the fishing trawler at the conclusion of Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few ... or the one," Mr. Spock said. Throughout Black Wind, the heroes are put in situations where personal sacrifice is a possible course of action. Identify several incidents in the book where one or more of the characters took Mr. Spock's admonition to heart. Describe those incidents, the crisis that precipitated the incident, and the characters' response to it. Discuss whether or not sacrifice was actually called for or whether an alternative response would have been just as effective.
Essay Topic 2
Dialogue can often propel a story forward. Cussler's heroes tend to make broad, inspirational statements and have plenty of quips at the ready. His villains tend to do everything but twirl their mustaches - note the times when the villains speak, they "hiss" or their words are "spat out." Looking through the novel, pick out ten quotes from the protagonists (the two Dirks, Summer, Al, Jack, etc.) and ten quotes from the antagonists (Kang, Tongju, etc.) Try to come up with a mix of quotes that sound pitch-perfect and persuasive, and quotes that are "groaners," better suited as balloons in a cartoon panel. For each quote, evaluate why it does or doesn't work, and discuss whether or not Cussler's use of dialogue is appropriate for the book's context or not.
Essay Topic 3
Dirk Pitt, Jr., is the hub of several relational spokes. Dirk Jr. relates to his father, his sister, his girlfriend, his sidekick, even his enemy. Choose five of Dirk's relationships, and explore them by comparing and contrasting those relationships to each other. Evaluate how Dirk's relationship with each of them shows a different facet of his nature and personality. Explain how persuasive and believable these relationships are.
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)