|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What injury does Sarah sustain in the car chase and subsequent wreck?
2. What attacks the Sea Rover in Chapter 26?
3. Where is the Japanese submarine discovered by a fishing boat?
4. Where are the U.S. ambassador to Japan and British ambassador to Japan found at the opening of Chapter 4?
5. How do Dirk and Summer propose to salvage the bombs from the I-411?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Dirk Pitt, Sr., and Al Giordino do in response to Raul Biazon's request in Chapter 12?
2. Why do Sarah and the other scientists survive the same toxin that killed the two meteorologists in Chapter 1?
3. How do Dirk and Sarah escape the thugs in the Cadillac in Chapter 18?
4. What is the combination of toxins used in the chemical/biological weapon described in Chapter 32?
5. What initially happens after Dirk and Dahlgren board the Odyssey?
6. How does Pitt Sr. escape the sinking Odyssey platform?
7. What happens during the final showdown between Dirk and Kang?
8. What are Kang and those on board the Sea Rover looking for in Chapter 22?
9. What do Dirk and Sarah surmise about the fishing trawler at the conclusion of Chapter 3?
10. What do Dirk and Summer plan to do after joining the Deep Endeavor in Chapter 46?
Essay Topic 1
Black Wind is full of novel gadgets, watercraft, aircraft, and other technological gizmos. Discuss how effective Cussler is in integrating technology into his novel, how much technology contributes to the overall plot, whether or not he gets bogged down in minutiae, and whether or not the reader feels that he/she needs a degree from M.I.T. to follow what is happening.
Essay Topic 2
Dialogue can often propel a story forward. Cussler's heroes tend to make broad, inspirational statements and have plenty of quips at the ready. His villains tend to do everything but twirl their mustaches - note the times when the villains speak, they "hiss" or their words are "spat out." Looking through the novel, pick out ten quotes from the protagonists (the two Dirks, Summer, Al, Jack, etc.) and ten quotes from the antagonists (Kang, Tongju, etc.) Try to come up with a mix of quotes that sound pitch-perfect and persuasive, and quotes that are "groaners," better suited as balloons in a cartoon panel. For each quote, evaluate why it does or doesn't work, and discuss whether or not Cussler's use of dialogue is appropriate for the book's context or not.
Essay Topic 3
Two women play notable roles in Black Wind - Dirk Jr.'s sister, Summer, and his girlfriend, Sarah. Discuss the place women hold in Black Wind. Evaluate the Cusslers' ability to write convincing female characters, if they are stereotypical or something unique, and what part they contribute to the novel. Compare and contrast these two women, noting if they are more active or passive parts of the story.
This section contains 2,211 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)