|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the new name of the Baekje?
2. Who is Tonguj?
3. Who does Catana meet at a bar in South Korea?
4. Who picks up Dirk and Summer to take them back to America?
5. What do Dirk and Summer find on board the I-411?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Dirk and Sarah surmise about the fishing trawler at the conclusion of Chapter 3?
2. What do Dirk Pitt, Sr., and Al Giordino do in response to Raul Biazon's request in Chapter 12?
3. Describe Kang's role as he is revealed in Chapter 14.
4. What do Dirk and Dahlgren discover about the I-403 in Chapter 9?
5. Why do Sarah and the other scientists survive the same toxin that killed the two meteorologists in Chapter 1?
6. What happens to Keith Catana in Chapter 11?
7. Describe briefly the history of the use of Zyklon B.
8. What are Kang and those on board the Sea Rover looking for in Chapter 22?
9. What does Kang plan to do with the Baekje?
10. Describe how Dirk and Summer escape from the I-411 in Chapter 25.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Evaluate Cussler as a storyteller. How effective is he at winding out a yarn? Can you evaluate his storytelling ability apart from his writing style, the believability of his characters, and the plausibility of the plot? If he were to ask your counsel, i.e. "How can I improve my storytelling?", what would you tell him? Consider his writing style. How would you define it? What about the elements of pacing? His ability to keep the reader engaged? To move readers to complete "just one more chapter?" Identify specific elements from the book that support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Foreshadowing is a literary technique by which an author alerts a reader to some degree for what will happen later in his work. Cussler uses this technique effectively. Discuss how he employs foreshadowing in this novel. In your discussion, evaluate whether his use of foreshadowing is part of the general atmosphere of the work, if he employs a specific scene or object which gives a clue as to what might happen later in the plot, or a combination of both. Cite examples.
Essay Topic 3
Two women play notable roles in Black Wind - Dirk Jr.'s sister, Summer, and his girlfriend, Sarah. Discuss the place women hold in Black Wind. Evaluate the Cusslers' ability to write convincing female characters, if they are stereotypical or something unique, and what part they contribute to the novel. Compare and contrast these two women, noting if they are more active or passive parts of the story.
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)