|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the research vessel go after returning to port at the opening of Chapter 5?
2. Who picks up Dirk and Summer to take them back to America?
3. What injury does Sarah sustain in the car chase and subsequent wreck?
4. How is the Japanese sub discovered on the ocean floor?
5. What do Summer and Dirk make their escape from Kang's lair with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the combination of toxins used in the chemical/biological weapon described in Chapter 32?
2. What happens to Kwan and Kang's empire?
3. Describe what happens after Dirk Sr. and Al spot the Badger tied up to the Odyssey.
4. What do Dirk Pitt, Sr., and Al Giordino do in response to Raul Biazon's request in Chapter 12?
5. What ultimately happens to the Koguryo and to Lee?
6. What is Kang's true motivation for wanting the American military out of South Korea?
7. What is the role of the USS Benfold in Chapter 63?
8. What happens during the final showdown between Dirk and Kang?
9. What is Tongju's plan to take over the Odyssey?
10. What happens to the Badger upon the launch of the rocket from the Odyssey?
Essay Topic 1
Black Wind begins, as do many of Cussler's books, with a historical incident. Explain why Cussler employs this technique. Discuss how the historical context provides foundation for the rest of the story. Discuss how effective this device is, going into some detail as to whether this acts as a distraction or as a necessary part of the storytelling.
Essay Topic 2
Foreshadowing is a literary technique by which an author alerts a reader to some degree for what will happen later in his work. Cussler uses this technique effectively. Discuss how he employs foreshadowing in this novel. In your discussion, evaluate whether his use of foreshadowing is part of the general atmosphere of the work, if he employs a specific scene or object which gives a clue as to what might happen later in the plot, or a combination of both. Cite examples.
Essay Topic 3
Virtually all of Black Wind takes place either above, on the surface of, or under the sea. It is obviously an environment Cussler feels comfortable with. Discuss whether or not the sea itself could be considered a character in the book, whether it is benign or threatening, how the characters relate to it, and if the story be told in some fashion on dry land. Consider, too, if the sea could act as a symbol. If so, what might it be symbolic of?
This section contains 2,216 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)