|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many pounds of thrust does the rocket on board the Odyssey generate?
(a) 2.1 million.
(b) 1 million.
(c) 1.2 million.
(d) 1.6 million.
2. After Kang dies, what happens to his assistant, Kwan?
(a) He commits suicide.
(b) He is shot trying to escape.
(c) He flees for asylum in China.
(d) He is captured alive.
3. Where does Giordino land the blimp so that the Odyssey crew can be rescued?
(a) Santa Barbara Island.
(b) Alcatraz Island.
(c) Seal Island.
(d) Catalina Island.
4. What is lost in the news during the reporting of the failed missile launch?
(a) The issue of Korea.
(b) The issue of the attack on South Korea by North Korea.
(c) The issue of the Japanese Red Army.
(d) The winner of America's Next Top Model.
5. What is the first sign of an imminent rocket launch off the Sea Launch platform?
(a) The roaring rush of fresh water.
(b) The clouds of liquid hydrogen.
(c) The smoke from the launch itself.
(d) The support tower falling away.
6. How many Sea Launch crewmen are crammed into a black, windowless box in Chapter 54?
7. Where do Dirk and Summer land upon their return to the United States?
(a) NUMA headquarters.
(b) McChord Air Force Base.
(c) MacDill Air Force Base.
(d) Camp Lejeune.
8. What is the LASH system?
(a) A new weapon used in air warfare.
(b) A system of tracking UFOs.
(c) A new family of supercomputers.
(d) An optical sytem used to track targets the eye cannot see.
9. What Coast Guard ship goes to inspect the Odyssey?
(a) The Narwhal.
(b) The Constellation.
(c) The Black Pearl.
(d) The Enterprise.
10. What causes a shadow to fall across the Odyssey launch platform, which causes Dirk's heart to skip a beat?
(a) The Icarus.
(b) The Sun Voyager.
(c) The Romulus.
(d) The Goodyear Blimp.
11. How does Dirk overcome Kang?
(a) He puts him in a bear hug.
(b) He strangles him.
(c) He shoots him in the hand and knees.
(d) He throws him overboard.
12. Who is the "round-faced" engineer on board Kang's ship?
13. Who does Dirk insist that he get to accompany in Chapter 24?
(a) A group of Marine recon specialists.
(b) A search party.
(c) A special ops team.
(d) A U.S. television crew.
14. Who is commander of the Navy SEAL team searching for Kang?
15. What does Pitt determine about the super-virus payload which was on board the destroyed missile?
(a) It was released into the ocean.
(b) It was not unleashed.
(c) It mutated.
(d) It was contaminated by sea water.
Short Answer Questions
1. What, in Ling's mind, is the riskiest part of the mission in Chapter 59?
2. What is the name of the ghost ship that Giordino mentions as they approach the Odyssey?
3. What does Pitt do to free the Badger from the Odyssey's pontoon?
4. What is the small vessel, the Badger, designed to do?
5. For the first time in their lives, the Sea Launch platform crew are happy about something. What is it?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)