|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Walker writes that her memories of times of injustice stop any progress she makes in coming to terms with her what?
2. Where would Walker buy cigarettes and go smoke them in Part 7 with her friend?
3. Whose funeral does Walker describe in Part 17?
4. When did Walker's father come to San Francisco for the first time?
5. When the headmaster of the private school school informed Alice and Rebecca Walker on a wrongful assumption that the school offered no financial aid, what did Alice do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Walker describe her memory in the end of Part 8?
2. What bad experience did Walker have in Part 9? Who assisted her?
3. Who suggested Walker go to Planned Parenthood in Part 7? Why?
4. How did Walker and Andrew continue seeing one another in Part 14? What was Walker's experience meeting Andrew's friends like?
5. What older friends did Walker encounter in Part 7? How old was she at this time?
6. What question does Walker answer for a woman with a biracial daughter in Part 16?
7. How did Walker react when she first menstruated in Part 9?
8. Who does Walker write of envying in Part 10? Why?
9. What memory does Walker close the book with? How does she feel in conclusion?
10. Where did Walker most hang out while living with her father in the Bronx in Part 9? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss Rebecca Walker's relationships with males and females in the text. Who did she relate to more in her youth? In her adulthood?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Rebecca Walker's relationships with her mother's family and with her father's. Did Walker feel as though she fit in more with her white family or her black family? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss Walker's sexual experimentation in the narrative. At what age did Walker lose her virginity? How did she feel afterward? In what ways did Walker lie to Michael about her experience?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)