|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What American singer-songwriter, rapper, bassist, and multi-instrumentalist often credited for having "sparked the neo-soul movement" did Rebecca Walker have an affair with?
2. What friend of Walker's taught her how to steal in sixth grade?
3. What did Walker and her friends refer to the richest and snobbiest of the girls at summer camp in Part 8?
4. What college-age counselor at the summer camp defended Walker's right to be a captain in Part 8?
5. With whom did Rebecca Walker go to live at the end of sixth grade?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Walker react when she first menstruated in Part 9?
2. What memory does Walker close the book with? How does she feel in conclusion?
3. How does Walker describe the cliquishness at the summer camp in Part 8?
4. What did Walker and her friend Lena do around San Francisco in Part 7 for fun?
5. When did Walker have an abortion? How does she describe the experience?
6. Where did Walker attend summer camp in Part 8? Who did she avoid at the camp and why?
7. What question does Walker answer for a woman with a biracial daughter in Part 16?
8. What older friends did Walker encounter in Part 7? How old was she at this time?
9. Who does Walker write of envying in Part 10? Why?
10. Where did Walker choose to attend high school in Part 10? What did she experience there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the area of the Bronx where Walker and her mother relocated in Part 4. How does Walker describe the neighborhood and apartment in comparison to her Brooklyn home with her father? How did she cope with the transition?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Walker's connection to Anne Frank. In what ways did Walker feel isolated and ostracized as Frank did? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the life and career of Mel Leventhal. What was Walker's father's occupation? What was his relationship like with his daughter?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)