|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What college-age counselor at the summer camp defended Walker's right to be a captain in Part 8?
2. What white boy did Walker befriend in high school who she describes as having "acted black"?
3. What American singer-songwriter, rapper, bassist, and multi-instrumentalist often credited for having "sparked the neo-soul movement" did Rebecca Walker have an affair with?
4. Where did Walker go to live at the end of sixth grade?
5. How long after leaving did Walker return to Larchmont to visit in Part 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Walker apply to school after having an abortion? How did her mother assist her?
2. What memory does Walker close the book with? How does she feel in conclusion?
3. Where did Walker choose to attend high school in Part 10? What did she experience there?
4. How does Walker describe the cliquishness at the summer camp in Part 8?
5. How did Walker and Andrew continue seeing one another in Part 14? What was Walker's experience meeting Andrew's friends like?
6. Where did Walker most hang out while living with her father in the Bronx in Part 9? Why?
7. How had Walker changed when she returned to live with her mother in Part 10? Why?
8. Where did Walker complete an internship in Part 13? What was her experience there like?
9. How does Walker describe her memory in the end of Part 8?
10. When did Walker's resentment for her stepmother increase? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the style and major themes in Walker's work as well as her other achievements and biographical history. What impact did Walker's childhood environment play on her work?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Walker's relationship with her extended paternal family. Where were the Leventhals from originally? How was Great Grandmother Jennie described in the text?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Walker's move to Washington, D.C. How was D.C. different than the previous places Walker had lived? Why did she feel unable to fit into the largely African-American school?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)