|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What older girl did Walker befriend in San Francisco in Part 6?
2. What did Walker write of failing to develop amongst her friendships due to constantly relocating as a child?
3. How does Walker describe her father's skin in Part 3 in comparison with her own?
4. Who did Walker realize her mother never visited in Part 3?
5. What does Walker describe as an illusive part of herself which exists higher than intellect?
Short Essay Questions
1. What can be discerned of Walker's parents and the setting she was born into in Part 1?
2. What trip did Bethany and Rebecca Walker take together in Part 5?
3. How did Walker choose a bike? Who almost stole it in Part 6?
4. Describe the narrative style of the memoir. How does Walker describe her past in the opening of the narrative?
5. What does Walker open Part 2 of the book with? What is shared?
6. How does Walker describe her first birthday in Part 1? What does she urge the reader to do on their own?
7. How was Walker's relationship with her mother in early adolescence? What insecurities did she have?
8. What symbolic depiction does Walker paint of her father in Part 3?
9. What does Walker describe of her memories of moving to Brooklyn in Part 2?
10. When did Walker lose her virginity? How did she feel about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define and discuss the theme of racial identity in the memoir. How is racial identity central to the protagonist in her journey for truth?
Essay Topic 2
Define and identify symbolism, metaphor and simile in the narrative. How are symbolism and imagery connected to theme? What is symbolic in Walker's retelling of her last bath with her father?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Walker's relationships with Colleen and Michael in the narrative. How old was Walker when she formed these friendships? What did Walker admire about her new older friends?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)