|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Walker's family move after leaving the south?
2. What kind of building did Mel Leventhal live in with his second wife?
3. Of what heritage is Rebecca Walker's father?
4. Who did Walker realize her mother never visited in Part 3?
5. Walker's paternal grandmother gave her a generous allowance for what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the narrative style of the memoir. How does Walker describe her past in the opening of the narrative?
2. What trip did Bethany and Rebecca Walker take together in Part 5?
3. When did Walker lose her virginity? How did she feel about it?
4. How does Walker describe her uncle Jackie? What did she appreciate about him?
5. How did Walker's mother change through the 1970s?
6. What book did Walker read as an adolescent which impacted her greatly? How was her relationship with her stepmother during this time?
7. How does Walker describe the beginning of her parents' dissolution of marriage in Part 4?
8. How did Walker fit in at the school in Washington, D.C. in Part 5?
9. How did Walker avoid uncomfortable feelings around her extended family?
10. Who is Rebecca Walker's mother? How is she depicted in the memoir?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Walker's move to Washington, D.C. How was D.C. different than the previous places Walker had lived? Why did she feel unable to fit into the largely African-American school?
Essay Topic 2
Define and identify the narrative voice, tense and style of the memoir in Part 1. In what person is the narrative written?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the shifting cultural climate Walker experienced in her youth. In what ways did the civil rights movement change after the death of Martin Luther King, Jr.? How were interracial couples viewed by the advocates of Black Power?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)