|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rebecca Walker was born how long after the assassination of Martin Luther King, Jr.?
2. On Rebecca Walker's first birthday, her mother fed her two of her favorite foods, chitterlings and what?
3. How long did Walker spend living with each parent, as per the custody agreement in Part 5?
4. What belief did Walker's parents reject, as described in Part 2?
5. Walker writes in Part 6 that being around Michael made her feel what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Walker go after leaving Uncle Bobby's in Part 5? How did she feel about this move?
2. What does Walker open Part 2 of the book with? What is shared?
3. What can be discerned of Walker's parents and the setting she was born into in Part 1?
4. How does Walker describe her uncle Jackie? What did she appreciate about him?
5. Why did Walker most relate to her uncle Jackie?
6. How does Walker describe the beginning of her parents' dissolution of marriage in Part 4?
7. How does Walker describe her parents' relationship in retrospect in Part 4?
8. How did Walker choose a bike? Who almost stole it in Part 6?
9. Describe the narrative style of the memoir. How does Walker describe her past in the opening of the narrative?
10. Who is Rebecca Walker's mother? How is she depicted in the memoir?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Walker's relationships with Colleen and Michael in the narrative. How old was Walker when she formed these friendships? What did Walker admire about her new older friends?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Rebecca Walker's relationships with her mother's family and with her father's. Did Walker feel as though she fit in more with her white family or her black family? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Walker's move to Washington, D.C. How was D.C. different than the previous places Walker had lived? Why did she feel unable to fit into the largely African-American school?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)