|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Michael is at least how many years older than Rebecca Walker?
2. What group describes itself as "a women-initiated grassroots peace and social justice movement working to end the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, stop new wars, and redirect our resources into healthcare, education, green jobs and other life-affirming activities"?
3. What book so affected Walker that she had nightmares for weeks after reading it in Part 5?
4. Who stood up for Walker when two girls tried to steal her bike in Part 6?
5. How did Rebecca Walker's paternal grandmother treat Walker's mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. When did Walker lose her virginity? How did she feel about it?
2. How does Walker describe her first birthday in Part 1? What does she urge the reader to do on their own?
3. How does Walker describe her uncle Jackie? What did she appreciate about him?
4. How does Walker describe her parents' relationship in retrospect in Part 4?
5. What trip did Bethany and Rebecca Walker take together in Part 5?
6. Who is Rebecca Walker's mother? How is she depicted in the memoir?
7. What book did Walker read as an adolescent which impacted her greatly? How was her relationship with her stepmother during this time?
8. What does Walker open Part 2 of the book with? What is shared?
9. Why did Walker most relate to her uncle Jackie?
10. How did Walker avoid uncomfortable feelings around her extended family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Walker's first move to San Francisco and the friendships she formed there. How old was Walker at this time?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the themes of racism and isolation in the narrative. From what age did Rebecca Walker feel like an outsider? How did she react to feeling uncomfortable around her paternal family?
Essay Topic 3
Define and identify the narrative voice, tense and style of the memoir in Part 1. In what person is the narrative written?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)