|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was used to deter the smell of death?
2. Which of the following was not funded by the Irish Fever Act?
3. In what year was the failed Irish rebellion?
4. How many passengers were allowed aboard compared to the five ton limit according to the Americans?
5. What was known to spread quickly on the ships?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
By today's standards, the British government broke many moral and ethical laws. Rewrite the governmental reaction to the Irish Potato Famine if it were to take place today. What would be different? How would the United States participate in providing aid? Would the British government be more or less likely to give in to pressure from outside influences in a modern setting?
Essay Topic 2
The author follows the lives of several of the Irish, including Diarmuid O'Donovan Rossa. List all of the details about Rossa, including his family and involvement with agriculture during the famine. What became of Rossa?
Essay Topic 3
The workhouses were both a blessing and a curse to the Irish. Explain the workhouses, how they were formed, their purpose, who was eligible to go there, what type of work was performed. Also list the pros and cons of the workhouses.
This section contains 215 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)