|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did Trevelyan approve an act to provide supplementary food?
2. How many days per year did the average farmer work to pay the landlord?
3. Trevelyan decided that the Irish could be saved via which food?
4. How many people were allowed into the kitchen area at one time?
5. Men often walked many miles to find what object?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were some farmers nervous about the potato crops?
2. How did the British retaliate against the revolutionaries?
3. Who was most affected by the British tax hikes and lack of assistance?
4. How did the media intervene in the Brits treatment of the Irish?
5. New diseases began to plague the people. Describe the new illnesses and how they spread.
6. What was one of the most difficult decisions facing the laborers' families?
7. Explain the Irish Fever Act.
8. Describe the revolutionaries' trip to France.
9. The Scientific Commission made several erroneous findings regarding the blight. What were they?
10. What is an "American wake?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Detail the primary and secondary sources for Irish farmers, including how the various products were created, handled, and sold or consumed. Which source brought in the most money? Explain how a farmer might be able to recover from the famine by using other crops in the years following the famine.
Essay Topic 2
By today's standards, the British government broke many moral and ethical laws. Rewrite the governmental reaction to the Irish Potato Famine if it were to take place today. What would be different? How would the United States participate in providing aid? Would the British government be more or less likely to give in to pressure from outside influences in a modern setting?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Ireland's class system. Who belonged in each class? How was the system affected by the British? Which class would you be in? Explain the hierarchy of the government as well as social entities.
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)