|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the new Prime Minister's royal title?
2. What ratio represents the number of the poverty-stricken Irish?
3. The crops were plagued by what?
4. The blight was wrongly considered to be a type of:
5. How many children did the farmer have helping out in the fields?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is an "American wake?"
2. Who served as the head of the Treasury? What were the man's views on the famine?
3. Given an example of the lengths the Irish were willing to go to feed their families.
4. How did the British government slow the emigrations to Canada and America?
5. Explain the Irish Fever Act.
6. Explain why the workhouses fell into chaos during the second year of the famine.
7. Who was most affected by the British tax hikes and lack of assistance?
8. What were the weather conditions like in the spring?
9. What does the author mean when she stated "entire families disappeared?"
10. Name at least one of the precautions taken by the farmers to protect the potatoes.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author follows the lives of several of the Irish, including Diarmuid O'Donovan Rossa. List all of the details about Rossa, including his family and involvement with agriculture during the famine. What became of Rossa?
Essay Topic 2
Explain blight and how it affected the potato crops in Ireland from 1845-1850. Discuss how the blight started, what caused it, and what actions were taken to prevent it and cure it. Also recount the effectiveness of the possible solutions.
Essay Topic 3
By today's standards, the British government broke many moral and ethical laws. Rewrite the governmental reaction to the Irish Potato Famine if it were to take place today. What would be different? How would the United States participate in providing aid? Would the British government be more or less likely to give in to pressure from outside influences in a modern setting?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)