|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did not pay for the upkeep on the workhouses?
(a) Middling farmers.
(c) Large farmers.
2. What/who did the workhouses support?
(a) Potato crops.
(b) Women and children.
(c) Destitute people.
(d) Farm laborers.
3. What was often cooked with cabbage leaves?
4. Although the United States never officially offered aid, it did send what items?
(a) Food and clothing.
(b) Food and livestock.
(c) Seed potatoes and clothing.
(d) Water and antibiotics.
5. Trevelyan decided that the Irish could be saved via which food?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what month did the 1846 blight begin?
2. What word best describes the leaf of a potato plant?
3. Trevelyan closed the kitchens after seeing proof of which of the following?
4. People were required to present which item to receive food?
5. Many farmers believed that the blight could not survive what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the Irish Fever Act.
2. Explain the physicians' advice to the sick and dying regarding disease.
3. Explain the basics of the population in Ireland and how they lived.
4. Who served as the head of the Treasury? What were the man's views on the famine?
5. Explain why the workhouses fell into chaos during the second year of the famine.
6. Why was the summer of 1845 considered to be particularly fickle?
7. Recount the story of Bridget O'Donnel.
8. Describe the events surrounding the deaths of passengers en route to America.
9. According to the farmers, what was the cause of the damage to the potatoes?
10. Name at least two of the groups that supplied the most help to the farmers.
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)