|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During which month was the first crop harvested?
2. How long would the imported corn supply last?
(a) 6 months.
(b) 10 months.
(c) 3 months.
(d) 2 months.
3. How many people were allowed into the kitchen area at one time?
4. Who had the highest status at the time?
(d) Large farmers.
5. Which government program/act was terminated?
(a) Public Works Administration.
(b) Department of Welfare.
(c) Corn Laws.
(d) Penal Laws.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many inhabitants were in Ireland at this time?
2. What type of food was stolen from an untended pot?
3. Who was often referred to as the "gentleman who paid the rent?"
4. How fast did the blight travel across Ireland?
5. What happened to the man that stole the food?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened most often to the corpses left out in the open?
2. What are cash crops? Why were they important to the farmer?
3. Describe the revolutionaries' trip to France.
4. Why was Peel secretive about his plan to import the corn?
5. What were some of the hardships face by the emigrants?
6. Although some farmers were concerned, many others were not. What was the prediction regarding the crops?
7. How did farmers protect their crops from theft?
8. What was the proclamation made by the traveling priest?
9. What happened to Diarmuid O'Donovan Rossa and his family?
10. Name at least two causes for the poverty in Ireland in the mid-1800s.
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)