|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following was not listed as an occasion for farmers to travel away from the farm?
(a) Going to the market.
(b) Attending weddings.
(c) Going to mass.
(d) Going to the doctor.
2. In an effort to survive, some people abandoned which way of life?
3. Which of the following was not a common ailment among the starving Irish?
4. The Prime Minister set up what kind of committee as a result of the famine?
(c) Criminal investigation.
5. Many farmers believed that the blight could not survive what?
(a) God's grace.
6. What is Pythopthora infestans?
(c) Small village.
7. Who replaced Peel as Prime Minister?
8. Who was hit the hardest by the famine?
9. In what year was the National School System established?
10. According to the book, which of the following was not imported or exported?
11. Cummins contacted which of the following regarding the plight of the Irish?
(a) Earl of Sandwich.
(b) Duke of Wellington.
(c) Queen Victoria.
(d) Lord Trevelyan.
12. What was the farmer's secondary crop?
13. Where did many of the landlords live?
14. How many people were allowed into the kitchen area at one time?
15. Farmers were given specific instructions on how to do which of the following:
(a) Grow soybeans.
(b) Rotate crops.
(c) Destroy the blight seed.
(d) Salvage potatoes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ratio represents the number of the poverty-stricken Irish?
2. By August, the kitchens were feeding how many people per day?
3. Who was James Mahony?
4. About one-third of the Irish held what occupation?
5. In what year did Trevelyan approve an act to provide supplementary food?
This section contains 290 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)