|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many days per year did the average farmer work to pay the landlord?
2. Who did not pay for the upkeep on the workhouses?
(b) Large farmers.
(c) Middling farmers.
3. Which of the following was not a common ailment among the starving Irish?
4. What kind of container was used to transport the harvested crops?
5. Which of the following was not a category listed for class status?
6. What was the surname of the farmer and his children?
7. In what year did Trevelyan approve an act to provide supplementary food?
8. Some "criminals" were transported to what location?
(d) United States.
9. Who was named as the new head of the British Treasury?
10. What color are the flowers on a potato plant?
11. Farmers were given specific instructions on how to do which of the following:
(a) Rotate crops.
(b) Grow soybeans.
(c) Destroy the blight seed.
(d) Salvage potatoes.
12. The Prime Minister set up what kind of committee as a result of the famine?
(c) Criminal investigation.
13. Trevelyan decided that the Irish could be saved via which food?
14. British Corn Laws established corn as what item?
15. What was the primary source of income for most large farms?
(d) Dairy herds.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many inhabitants were in Ireland at this time?
2. How many acres were planted?
3. What was not a typical cash crop for farmers?
4. By August, the kitchens were feeding how many people per day?
5. According to the book, which of the following was not imported or exported?
This section contains 295 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)