|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A "dip-at-the-stool" meal consisted of dipping potatoes into which liquid?
(d) Salt water.
2. The blight was wrongly considered to be a type of:
(b) Bad luck.
(c) Dry rot.
(d) Punishment from God.
3. How many acres were planted?
(a) 100 thousand.
(b) 150 thousand.
(c) 2 million.
(d) 1 million.
4. How many days in jail might one spend for trespassing?
5. What was often cooked with cabbage leaves?
6. What was the direction of the wind during the famine's second year?
(a) Northeast to Southeast.
(b) East to west.
(c) North to south.
(d) Southeast to Northwest.
7. To whom did the Prime Minister go to for help?
(a) House of Lords.
(b) Winston Churchill.
(c) House of Commons.
(d) Queen Victoria.
8. Who was James Mahony?
9. How long would it take for the blight to destroy a potato field?
10. By August, the kitchens were feeding how many people per day?
(a) 1 million.
(b) 3 million.
11. How fast did the blight travel across Ireland?
(a) 60 mph.
(b) 40 mph.
(c) 100 mph.
(d) 50 mph.
12. How much did moneylenders charge in interest?
13. Trevelyan decided that the Irish could be saved via which food?
14. Men often walked many miles to find what object?
15. What was considered to be a primary dietary staple?
Short Answer Questions
1. What system was designed to help workers earn money?
2. During which month was the first crop harvested?
3. According to the book, which of the following was not imported or exported?
4. What is Pythopthora infestans?
5. Who was named as the new head of the British Treasury?
This section contains 278 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)