• Irish had experienced bumper crop of potatoes.
• Following year farmers encountered blight.
• Potatoes began to rot in storage.
• Farmers relied on secondary crops.
• Irish were defeated at the Battle of Boyne River.
• Prime Minister Pitt and the Irish government joined under the Act of Union.
• Ireland's population and geography are discussed.
• Ireland's class system is established.
• Author notes farmers' arrangements with landlords.
• "Hedge schools" are introduced as are common family laws.
• Author details the Poor Law Act of 1838.
• Ireland's economy is examined.
• People began to panic over not having enough food.
• Some people went to extreme measures to feed their families.
• Soup kitchens were set up.
• Scientific cause of the blight is discussed.
• Peel arranged to have corn imported to feed the hungry.
• There was a money shortage and workers were not being paid.
• Peel was replaced by Lord John Russell.
• Russell refused to...
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)