|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Julian's grandmother when he left for college?
2. Which important technique was introduced by Carver?
3. What was the name of Wright's father?
4. Carver was known for his discoveries regarding which item?
5. Where was the school located?
Short Essay Questions
1. When and how did Charles Drew die? Who else was involved in the incident? Where did the incident take place?
2. The author discusses Drew's career during World War II and his work with the American Red Cross. Discuss Drew's work and experiences with the Red Cross.
3. Percy Lavon Julian is responsible for introducing many products and making advancements in the process of manufacturing others. Discuss Julian's accomplishments in this area.
4. Discuss Drew's study and experiments in the preservation of blood while he attended the Columbia School of Medicine.
5. Discuss at least three of Williams' most notable accomplishments in the field of medicine.
6. Discuss at least three of Wright's affiliations in the medical community.
7. How did Carver's methods help the farmer's in a monetary sense?
8. Julian shares a striking mental image about his family. Discuss the image and why it was important to the young man.
9. Examine Julian's experience with prejudice in the work force. Where did the event take place? What did Julian do as a result?
10. George Washington Carver is a well known scientist that has made significant contributions to agriculture. Discuss Carver's field of study and contributions.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Garrett A. Morgan was the inventor of the "Safety Hood" also referred to as the "Breathing Helmet." Write a 1000 word essay on the invention OR an essay from the point of view of Morgan. Be sure to include the 1916 catastrophe involving the Cleveland Water Works. How did Morgan feel about the rescue? What advancements were made on the Safety Hood? What are the most common uses today?
Essay Topic 2
George Washington Carver was instrumental in agricultural improvements in the South. Discuss Carver's inspiration and accomplishments in this area. Include Carver's relationship with Booker T. Washington as well as other people in the South. Name at least twenty derivatives of peanuts and other products discovered by Carver. Include Carver's relationship with Henry Ford.
Essay Topic 3
Louis Haber is credited with writing an unusual book dedicated to black pioneers and inventors. Explain why the book is so unusual. What prompted Haber to write it? Do you think the reason was a good one? What is your opinion of the book? What was the most interesting thing you learned from the book?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)