|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of mill was built?
2. What was the name of Latimer's partner?
3. Latimer received the patent for creating a manufacturing process for which item?
4. At what age did Woods get his first job?
5. Jan Earnst Matzeliger is most well known for revolutionizing which industry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What job did Lewis Latimer get that helped to propel him into the field of drafting? What did Latimer propose to his employers? How did it affect his career?
2. What items did Banneker use to assist in creating the project? How long did it take to build? What was unusual about the piece?
3. Rillieux became interested in what process? What process was in place when Rillieux began? How did Rillieux's invention help the industry?
4. What was revolutionary about Matzeliger's invention? What had stopped previous inventors from creating the same machine?
5. What problems did McCoy notice on his job as a railroad fireman? What were McCoy's thoughts on the process? What did McCoy do to remedy the situation?
6. Discuss Wood's first patent. What patent soon followed? How were Woods' patents connected?
7. What gift was given to Banneker? What about the gift fascinated Banneker to the point of near obsession?
8. Banneker became interested in politics. Which event did Banneker attend? Which speech moved Banneker the most in regards to the new government?
9. Explain the heritage and early years of Jan Earnst Matzeliger. Where did the family originate? At what age did Matzeliger come to the US?
10. What astounding accomplishment did Banneker make in regards to the building of Washington, DC?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several of the inventors in the book came from notable heritage. Explain the heritage of at least three of the inventors, how they were similar, and how the ancestry affected their ability to invent new products, techniques, and machines. Which inventor benefited most from his heritage? Which inventors saw little or no benefits? How did the inventors' education levels affect their ability to invent? What was the most common activity of the inventors after retirement?
Essay Topic 2
Granville T. Woods had a great deal of experience in the field of electricity before returning to his status as a full time inventor. Create a time line of Woods' inventions. Write at least two paragraphs on each invention. What other inventors may have been involved? What was Woods' most important invention? How many patents did Woods hold?
Essay Topic 3
The Latimer family gave two important and innovative scientists to the world. Discuss the Latimer family and their contributions. Begin with the struggles and accomplishments of George Latimer. Include Latimer's relationships with Garrison and Douglass. What was George Latimer's biggest contribution to the scientific world? Discuss possible reasons Latimer abandoned his family, how it affected them, and may or may not have influenced Lewis Howard Latimer's career. Also discuss Lewis' biggest accomplishments. What might be different if George had not abandoned his family?
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)