|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The company specialized in which area?
2. Which activity began to take up Banneker's free time?
3. Banneker was called upon to help which man build a new mill?
4. In which state was George Latimer born?
5. What did Rillieux's father do for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. What barrier did Banneker face when he decided to create a clock from scratch?
2. What items did Banneker use to assist in creating the project? How long did it take to build? What was unusual about the piece?
3. What is the opening passage of the story of Benjamin Banneker? Which famous people were involved?
4. What job did Lewis Latimer get that helped to propel him into the field of drafting? What did Latimer propose to his employers? How did it affect his career?
5. When and where was Elijah McCoy born? What actions taken by McCoy's parents may have ensured McCoy's success?
6. The text claims that Banneker was born of unusual stock. What does that mean?
7. Who is Granville T. Woods? To who is he often compared? What was Woods' field of study?
8. Banneker became interested in politics. Which event did Banneker attend? Which speech moved Banneker the most in regards to the new government?
9. Before the invention of the Safety Hood, Garrett Morgan was involved in another field. What was the field? What invention came out of Morgan's work in that area?
10. How did Latimer's case change the face of the law in regards to escaped slaves?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Banneker attended the Third Continental Congress in Philadelphia. Explain the reason for Banneker's attendance. Was it unusual for a black man to attend such a political function? Why was Banneker so interested in Thomas Jefferson? What were the pros and cons of Jefferson according to Banneker? Why do you think the founding fathers chose to listen to a black man when it came to reconstructing the plans for Washington, D.C.? What was Banneker's greatest contribution?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout history inventors have had to face the possibility that other inventors may steal or take credit for their works. How was this done? Give at least five examples of inventions that were claimed by someone else (e.g. Eli Whitney and the Cotton Gin). Did this happen to any of the inventors in the book? Did the claims have anything to do with racism? Does one have to prove ownership when applying for a patent? What is involved in applying for a patent?
Essay Topic 3
Several of the inventors in the book came from notable heritage. Explain the heritage of at least three of the inventors, how they were similar, and how the ancestry affected their ability to invent new products, techniques, and machines. Which inventor benefited most from his heritage? Which inventors saw little or no benefits? How did the inventors' education levels affect their ability to invent? What was the most common activity of the inventors after retirement?
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)