|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the woman's prior occupation?
2. What was the name of the company Latimer worked for next?
3. What word best describes Banneker's family?
4. What event was attended by Banneker?
5. What type of company was opened by Woods?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the heritage and early years of Jan Earnst Matzeliger. Where did the family originate? At what age did Matzeliger come to the US?
2. What type of company did Woods start? Was the company lucrative? What was Woods' preferred occupation?
3. What life changing event occurred in Banneker's pre-teen years?
4. What items did Banneker use to assist in creating the project? How long did it take to build? What was unusual about the piece?
5. hen did McCoy obtain his first patent? What was the invention? What other inventions can be attributed to McCoy?
6. List at least five of Woods' inventions.
7. What job did Lewis Latimer get that helped to propel him into the field of drafting? What did Latimer propose to his employers? How did it affect his career?
8. How did the public receive McCoy's inventions? What common phrase showed the industries' appreciation for McCoy's work?
9. Who was Benjamin Banneker? What was Banneker's contribution to the country?
10. Banneker became interested in politics. Which event did Banneker attend? Which speech moved Banneker the most in regards to the new government?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Banneker attended the Third Continental Congress in Philadelphia. Explain the reason for Banneker's attendance. Was it unusual for a black man to attend such a political function? Why was Banneker so interested in Thomas Jefferson? What were the pros and cons of Jefferson according to Banneker? Why do you think the founding fathers chose to listen to a black man when it came to reconstructing the plans for Washington, D.C.? What was Banneker's greatest contribution?
Essay Topic 2
Norbert Rillieux was deeply influenced by his father's intelligence and creative genius. Explore Rillieux's reason for attending school in Paris. Compare and contrast the education system in France to the system in the United States in the early 1800s and modern times.
Essay Topic 3
There are many trends that are apparent throughout the text in regards to education. Which universities were attended the most? Were the universities influential? Which still exist? Why did the doctors and scientists choose to attend and sometimes work at these particular schools? What were the educational barriers placed before the men as they attempted to enter college? Examine the benefits of university education as it applies to each scientist and/or inventor.
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)