|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Black-No-More intends to keep open their lying-in hospitals for whom?
2. What does the word "buggery" relate to?
3. How many people read the report that the President has made on Black-No-More in Chapter 9?
4. What refers to a protagonist who lacks the attributes that make a heroic figure, such as nobility of mind and spirit, a life or attitude marked by action or purpose?
5. What gathers outside the hospital in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is nominated in Chapter 10 for the Democratic candidate for the Presidency?
2. What does Givens do upon arrival in Chapter 12? What does Helen ask Matthew?
3. Why are Democrats worried about losing votes in Chapter 8?
4. Why does Rufus Kretin meet with Matthew in Chapter 8?
5. Who are the Anglo-Saxon Association of America, and who leads them?
6. What obstacle and danger does Matthew face at the end of Chapter 10?
7. Why do the mill laborers distrust the New York unionizers in Chapter 7?
8. How does Matthew go about shutting down the Republican vote in Chapter 9?
9. What are Matthew's thoughts about Helen's pregnancy in Chapter 11?
10. How are the opposing Presidential candidates presented in Chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the political election in the novel to political elections today. How much does Schuyler's satire hold up the mirror to today's society and world of politics?
Essay Topic 2
Describe W.E.B. Du Bois and the history of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People. How are these satirized in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting of "Black No More". What was New York like in the 1930s regarding race relations? How did this differ in the South?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)