|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What refers to a protagonist who lacks the attributes that make a heroic figure, such as nobility of mind and spirit, a life or attitude marked by action or purpose?
2. On whose plane do the Givens' and others escape in Chapter 12?
3. Who tells the Anglo-Saxon Association's Board of Directors that he can prove a large portion of the population possess non-white ancestry in Chapter 10?
4. Black-No-More has been in business for how long in Chapter 8?
5. In Chapter 9, Matthew decides to have Reverend Givens call on who to shut down Black-No-More on national radio?
Short Essay Questions
1. How long has Black-No-More Inc. been in operation in Chapter 8? What impact has this had on society?
2. How are the opposing Presidential candidates presented in Chapter 10?
3. How many sanitariums are still running in Chapter 10? What are lying-in hospitals developed for?
4. What does Dr. Buggerie inform Snobbcraft about the data in Chapter 11?
5. Who are the Anglo-Saxon Association of America, and who leads them?
6. How do Snobbcraft and Dr. Buggerie attempt to cover their tracks in Chapter 11? What do they discover?
7. How does Matthew discredit the chairman of the strike in Chapter 7?
8. Why are Democrats worried about losing votes in Chapter 8?
9. What are Matthew's thoughts about Helen's pregnancy in Chapter 11?
10. What does Buggerie reveal about Snobbcraft's ancestry in Chapter 11? What of the other candidates?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Matthew's actions at the mill in Chapter 7. How do Matthew's actions show that greed as opposed to empathy is his driving force?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the politics of the 1930s and their depiction in the novel. How are the politicians shown to be corrupt in the narrative?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of duality in the narrative as exemplified by Matthew. What is it about Matthew's actions that are dishonorable? Why?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)