|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Reverend Givens do upon entering Helen's room in Chapter 12?
2. Who cleared the Knights of Nordica treasury and brought the money for escape in Chapter 12?
3. What refers to a protagonist who lacks the attributes that make a heroic figure, such as nobility of mind and spirit, a life or attitude marked by action or purpose?
4. What does Matthew tell the mill owners he will do if they choose not to pay him?
5. Radical labor organizers from where go to visit the small mill town out of concern for the ending strike in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Snobbcraft and Dr. Buggerie attempt to cover their tracks in Chapter 11? What do they discover?
2. What does Dr. Buggerie promise to produce to Arthur Snobbcraft in Chapter 9?
3. What obstacle and danger does Matthew face at the end of Chapter 10?
4. Why does Rufus Kretin meet with Matthew in Chapter 8?
5. What worrisome news does Matthew relate about Helen in Chapter 8? What is Bunny's reply?
6. What are Matthew's thoughts about Helen's pregnancy in Chapter 11?
7. How many sanitariums are still running in Chapter 10? What are lying-in hospitals developed for?
8. How does Matthew discredit the chairman of the strike in Chapter 7?
9. Who is nominated in Chapter 10 for the Democratic candidate for the Presidency?
10. How long has Black-No-More Inc. been in operation in Chapter 8? What impact has this had on society?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define and discuss the literary elements of irony and satire. What elements of satire are evident in the first two chapters of "Black No More"?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Matthew's experiences in Atlanta as a white man in the 1930s. How does this setting differ from Harlem? What dissatisfies Matthew about white society? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Matthew's actions at the mill in Chapter 7. How do Matthew's actions show that greed as opposed to empathy is his driving force?
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)