|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Matthew tells Bunny that Helen is what in Chapter 8?
2. Who ends up gaining the Democratic candidacy for Vice-President in Chapter 10?
3. In Chapter 8, properties that blacks once rented are having to be repaired and updated why?
4. For how long has Matthew been guarding his secret from the Givens' in Chapter 12?
5. Who sends a newspaper upstairs to Helen's room in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Matthew discredit the chairman of the strike in Chapter 7?
2. What is notable about the broadcasting company name in Chapter 9?
3. How many sanitariums are still running in Chapter 10? What are lying-in hospitals developed for?
4. What obstacle and danger does Matthew face at the end of Chapter 10?
5. What word does Matthew receive of a strike in Chapter 7? Where does he go?
6. What does Dr. Broker reveal to Matthew in Chapter 12? What does he offer to do?
7. What worrisome news does Matthew relate about Helen in Chapter 8? What is Bunny's reply?
8. How do the antihero and his conspirators escape in Chapter 12?
9. How do Snobbcraft and Dr. Buggerie attempt to cover their tracks in Chapter 11? What do they discover?
10. Why are Democrats worried about losing votes in Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Dr. Crookman, Hank Johnson and Chuck Foster. What is the history of each character and what characteristics does each embody?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the history of labor unions in the United States. When, where and why did labor unions first organize? What is the difference between unionizing in the North and the South?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the life, career, and controversy of George S. Schuyler. How are Schuyler's works and convictions viewed by civil rights activists today?
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)