|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What doorkeeper doesn't recognize Max and tells him to go away in Chapter 2?
2. Where do Bunny and Max meet in the beginning of Chapter 1?
3. In what war did Bunny and Max both serve?
4. Where does Matthew tell Reverend Givens he is from in Chapter 4?
5. When was the first Ku Klux Klan established?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dr. Crookman believe his company is doing for society? Why is this absurd?
2. What inspires Max to go to the Phyllis Wheatley Hotel in Chapter 1?
3. What does Max remark about his skin after the procedure in Chapter 2? How is this satirical?
4. What conversation does Max have with Bunny in the end of Chapter 2? What is indicated by it?
5. What aspects of Matthew make it difficult for the reader to sympathize with him?
6. Why is anger developing in the South over Black-No-More Inc. in Chapter 3?
7. What is the basic premise and plot of the story "Black No More"?
8. Where is Max in Chapter 4? How has his identity changed?
9. Where and when does Chapter 1 of "Black No More" begin? What two characters meet in the opening?
10. What complication arises for Max once the news article is released in Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the condition of non-unionized workers during the 1930s and discuss the theme of greed in the novel. How does Schuyler create empathy in the reader for characters such as the mill workers?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Dr. Crookman, Hank Johnson and Chuck Foster. What is the history of each character and what characteristics does each embody?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the life, career, and controversy of George S. Schuyler. How are Schuyler's works and convictions viewed by civil rights activists today?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)