|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has Black-No-More been in operation in Chapter 5?
2. What year is it in the beginning of Chapter 1?
3. What doorkeeper doesn't recognize Max and tells him to go away in Chapter 2?
4. What word is widely used in the U.S. to refer to people of European origin or people who are white, even though the original classification was broader than this?
5. Where does Bunny Brown work in the beginning of the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What examples of uniting take place in Chapter 6?
2. How is the black community changing in Chapter 5?
3. How is a dichotomy illustrated in Matthew in Chapter 6?
4. Why is anger developing in the South over Black-No-More Inc. in Chapter 3?
5. Where is Max in Chapter 4? How has his identity changed?
6. What is happening to the neighborhood of Harlem in Chapter 3?
7. What discovery does Matthew make about the opposition of Black-No-More in Chapter 4?
8. What is Chuck Foster's back-story in the novel?
9. What aspects of Matthew make it difficult for the reader to sympathize with him?
10. What hypocrisy is pointed out about Dr. Crookman in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the character of Bunny Brown. How old is Bunny? What are Bunny's feelings about his race and his friendship with Max?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the setting of "Black No More". What was New York like in the 1930s regarding race relations? How did this differ in the South?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the characters of Mr. Blickdoff and Mr. Hortzenboff and the setting of Paradise, South Carolina. Why are the workers threatening a strike at the mill?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)