|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are there newspaper editorials decrying Black-No-More in Chapter 3?
2. To what office is Dr. Beard's letter of demand sent in Chapter 5?
3. Who in the novel had been on a Carolina chain gang for two years?
4. Who is a Harlem real estate realtor who funded Dr. Crookman's studies in Germany?
5. How long has Matthew been in Atlanta in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What aspects of Matthew make it difficult for the reader to sympathize with him?
2. What does Dr. Crookman believe his company is doing for society? Why is this absurd?
3. What is the basic premise and plot of the story "Black No More"?
4. Where and when does Chapter 1 of "Black No More" begin? What two characters meet in the opening?
5. How does Max go about approaching the beautiful woman in Chapter 1? What is her response?
6. What discovery does Matthew make about the opposition of Black-No-More in Chapter 4?
7. Who is Reverend Givens? How does Matthew introduce himself to this man?
8. Where is Max in Chapter 4? How has his identity changed?
9. Why is anger developing in the South over Black-No-More Inc. in Chapter 3?
10. Describe what Max finds in the Honkey Tonk Club in Chapter 1. What are the clientele like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the politics of the 1930s and their depiction in the novel. How are the politicians shown to be corrupt in the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the political election in the novel to political elections today. How much does Schuyler's satire hold up the mirror to today's society and world of politics?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Matthew's experiences in Atlanta as a white man in the 1930s. How does this setting differ from Harlem? What dissatisfies Matthew about white society? Why?
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)