|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the central character of "Black No More"?
(a) Max Disher.
(b) Dr. Junius Crookman.
(c) Reverend Henry Givens.
(d) Bunny Brown.
2. What is a militant organization designed to protect and promote the rights of black Americans in the novel?
(a) Committee for the Preservation of Negro Racial Integrity.
(b) The Black Panther Party.
(c) The Back-to-Africa Society.
(d) The National Social Equality League.
3. For what paper does the reporter work who waits for Max in his cab outside the sanitarium in Chapter 2?
(a) The Herald.
(b) The Times.
(c) The Scimitar.
(d) The Sun.
4. Who is the founder of the Back-to-Africa Society?
(a) Dr. Joseph Bonds.
(b) Santop Licorice.
(c) Dr. Shakespeare Agamemnon Beard.
(d) Walter Williams.
5. Dr. Crookman is opening sanitarium number what in Chapter 5?
Short Answer Questions
1. What word is widely used in the U.S. to refer to people of European origin or people who are white, even though the original classification was broader than this?
2. What does Max offer to pay for Bunny in Chapter 2?
3. How long has Black-No-More been in operation in Chapter 5?
4. What does the Greek word 'kuklos" mean?
5. In Chapter 4, Matthew introduces himself to Reverend Givens as what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Matthew's actions determine his character to be in the plot of "Black No More" in Chapter 4?
2. How does Max go about approaching the beautiful woman in Chapter 1? What is her response?
3. How is a dichotomy illustrated in Matthew in Chapter 6?
4. What does Max ask Dr. Crookman in Chapter 1? How does the chapter end?
5. Describe Matthew's experiences in a white world in Chapter 4. Is he happy?
6. Who is Reverend Givens? How does Matthew introduce himself to this man?
7. What does Dr. Crookman believe his company is doing for society? Why is this absurd?
8. What is Chuck Foster's back-story in the novel?
9. Describe what Max finds in the Honkey Tonk Club in Chapter 1. What are the clientele like?
10. What is happening to the neighborhood of Harlem in Chapter 3?
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)