|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Hank Johnson work his way up in New York?
(a) Mixing drinks.
(b) The Wall Street game.
(c) Cutting hair.
(d) The Numbers racket.
2. One editorialist in Chapter 3 is particularly angry that the offspring of those who become white will what?
(a) Still be black.
(b) Think like white people.
(c) Be caucasians.
(d) Act like black people.
3. By what does Bunny recognize Max in Chapter 2?
(a) His voice.
(b) His ears.
(c) His smile.
(d) His hat.
4. Where does Matthew tell Reverend Givens he is from in Chapter 4?
(d) New York.
5. What word means freedom from anything that debases, contaminates, pollutes, etc.?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do the the Knights of Nordica have on their payroll fighting the Committee for the Preservation of Negro Racial Integrity in Chapter 6?
2. Who is Dr. Shakespeare Agamemnon Beard a portrayal of from history?
3. In Chapter 5, Dr. Beard and the press receive a letter informing him that Black-No-More has done what?
4. For how long has Matthew been editor at the local paper in Chapter 6?
5. What refers to a person who believes in or advocates the superiority of a particular group, especially a racial group?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is anger developing in the South over Black-No-More Inc. in Chapter 3?
2. Describe what Max finds in the Honkey Tonk Club in Chapter 1. What are the clientele like?
3. Who is Reverend Givens? How does Matthew introduce himself to this man?
4. What is Chuck Foster's back-story in the novel?
5. What discovery does Matthew make about the opposition of Black-No-More in Chapter 4?
6. How is a dichotomy illustrated in Matthew in Chapter 6?
7. What inspires Max to go to the Phyllis Wheatley Hotel in Chapter 1?
8. How does Hank Johnson feel about the publicity Black-No-More is getting in Chapter 3? What is Hank's history?
9. Where is Max in Chapter 4? How has his identity changed?
10. Where and when does Chapter 1 of "Black No More" begin? What two characters meet in the opening?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)