|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Max go to hear the doctor who can turn black people white speak in Chapter 1?
(a) Tabitha Stevens Hotel.
(b) Mavis Thompson Hotel.
(c) Phyllis Wheatley Hotel.
(d) Gertrude Beatty Hotel.
2. Who in the novel had been on a Carolina chain gang for two years?
(a) Hank Johnson.
(b) Bunny Brown.
(c) Henry Givens.
(d) Junius Crookman.
3. What holiday begins Chapter 6?
(a) Valentines Day.
(d) The Fourth of July.
4. Where was the second Ku Klux Klan established?
(d) South Carolina.
5. White businesses, particularly in the South, want their workers to see what as a problem in Chapter 4?
(d) Living standards.
6. Where did Dr. Crookman study and gain his expertise?
7. In the beginning of Chapter 6, the Knights of Nordica are celebrating the gaining of how many members?
(d) 1 million.
8. Reverend Henry Givens is described as an "ex" what?
9. What doorkeeper doesn't recognize Max and tells him to go away in Chapter 2?
(a) Young James.
(b) Wierd Al.
(c) Old James.
(d) Old Bob.
10. To what office is Dr. Beard's letter of demand sent in Chapter 5?
(a) The President's.
(b) The U.S. Attorney General.
(c) The New York Times.
(d) The Governor's.
11. Who escorts Dr. Crookman home in Chapter 3?
(b) Chuck Foster.
(c) His wife.
12. What word is widely used in the U.S. to refer to people of European origin or people who are white, even though the original classification was broader than this?
13. Where is Max's hometown?
(a) Frankfurt, KY.
(b) Atlanta, GA.
(c) Memphis, TN.
(d) Biloxi, MS.
14. What refers to a person who believes in or advocates the superiority of a particular group, especially a racial group?
15. Where does Max go with the reporter after dinner in Chapter 2?
(a) A bar.
(b) A train station.
(c) A restaurant.
(d) A cabaret.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a sociopolitical movement that aims for a classless and stateless society structured upon common ownership of the means of production, free access to articles of consumption, and the end of wage labor and private property?
2. To whom does Dr. Beard have a letter prepared in Chapter 5?
3. What predominantly black area of town in Atlanta does Matthew occasional go to, but no one will speak to him there because he is white in Chapter 4?
4. What refers to any White person whose native language is English and whose cultural affiliations are those common to Britain and the U.S.?
5. What is Max Disher's profession in the beginning of the novel?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)