|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Griffin say is the biggest problem blacks have?
(a) Their self respect.
(b) Their lack of unity.
(c) Their relationship with whites.
(d) Their living conditions.
2. What city does Griffin walk through during his skin treatment?
(a) New Orleans.
(d) Baton Rouge.
3. After lunch with Sterling, where is the first place Griffin visits?
(a) The YMCA.
(b) A hotel.
(c) A church.
(d) The post office.
4. Where does Griffin speak with Mr. Gayle in the beginning of the third section of the book?
(a) The place where Griffin is staying.
(b) The YMCA cafe.
(c) The church of Reverend A. L. Davis.
(d) The home of Mr. Gayle.
5. While Griffin is traveling on public transportation, a white woman looks at Griffin. What type of emotion does Griffin feel this look conveys?
Short Answer Questions
1. In the third section of the book, what school does Griffin visit?
2. Which of these is a problem Griffin says blacks face?
3. Which of these is a job that Griffin unsuccessfully tries to get at the beginning of the third section of the book?
4. What point of view does Griffin use to tell his story?
5. Where does Griffin stay while he undergoes his treatment to become black?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sterling Williams react when Griffin reveals his identity?
2. Describe Griffin's confrontation in the street toward the end of the second section of the book.
3. What makes Griffin decide to become a black man?
4. What do Griffin and Mr. Gayle say about equality in the job market?
5. What does Griffin observe about blacks' survival techniques among one another?
6. Why does the white woman yell at Griffin on the bus to Canal Street?
7. Describe Griffin's first encounter with a white man after his skin transformation.
8. How do you think Griffin feels emotionally at the end of this section?
9. According to Griffin, how do Southern whites view the relationship between races?
10. Describe Griffin's emotions after his skin transformation is complete.
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)