|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Beezer say he is going to do when he takes the camera from Wendell?
2. What does Henry say when Jack says that he did feel like a cop when he went back to the police station rather than a person playing a cop?
3. What does Speedy tell Jack about Tyler in the waking dream that Jack has in Chapter nine?
4. What does Dale ask Jack when they first arrive at Ed's?
5. What does one of the signs say that people are carrying when they converge on Danny and Pam in Chapter thirteen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Wendell want to get from Irma's crime scene as he heads out to Ed's Eats and Dawgs?
2. When they arrive at Ed's Eats and Dawgs, what does Dale tell Jack he should do?
3. Describe the conversation that Rebecca, Peter Wexler, and Henry have in chapter seven when Peter says that there was another little boy taken from outside of Maxton's.
4. Explain what is known about Henry Leyden that is shown in chapter three.
5. What does Dale tell Jack in Chapter ten when he calls Jack?
6. What does Wendell see when he gets to the crime scene in Chapter twelve?
7. What does Beezer do when he gets the phone call that Irma's body has been found?
8. What happens in Chapter seven when Rebecca follows Burny out into the hallway to tell him to go to his room?
9. What is explained about Nailhouse Row when it is first described in Chapter one?
10. Describe what happens in Chapter eight when Jack interviews the three boys that Tyler had last been seen with before he was taken from outside Maxton's.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following to write about:
1) Do you think Jack would have chosen to go to the Territories to be with Sophie even if he had not been shot? Why or why not?
2) What do you feel are the most obvious moments of foreshadowing in the book or the most important? What events in the story do you feel there should have been some foreshadowing of but there was not? Explain.
3) If there was a book following Black House which characters would you want to see it focus on and what from Black House do you think would be revisited? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
1) What was Tansy Freneau's role in the story?
2) Why is Tansy not visited again after the destruction of Black House?
3) Do you feel that there is any chance that Tansy was restored to her original state of mind? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
1) Do you feel that Jack was lying when he would keep partial truths from people, such as telling Dr. Spiegleman that what he was doing was somewhat like profiling? Why or why not?
2) Would you consider Jack a true hero or a flawed hero? Why?
3) Would you rather read about a hero that is flawed or one that fights the profile of a knight in shining armor? Why?
This section contains 1,330 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)