|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry say when Jack says that he did feel like a cop when he went back to the police station rather than a person playing a cop?
2. What does Wendell realize when he sees Doodles Sanger?
3. Which of the following is NOT true about Alice's life as it is described in the beginning of Chapter two?
4. What does Wendell want most of all and is willing to bribe to get?
5. What does Jack tell Dale to do with the 911 tape from the Fisherman?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Wendell want to get from Irma's crime scene as he heads out to Ed's Eats and Dawgs?
2. What happens in Chapter seven when Henry begins playing for the residents at Maxton's?
3. What is shown to the reader in Chapter two at Ed's Eats and Dawgs?
4. Describe what happens in Chapter eight when Jack interviews the three boys that Tyler had last been seen with before he was taken from outside Maxton's.
5. What had happened when Wendell Green had tried to question Beezer after his daughter's body had been discovered?
6. What does Wendell tell Jack after Beezer has ruined the film in his camera?
7. What does Beezer do when he gets the phone call that Irma's body has been found?
8. What is explained about Nailhouse Row when it is first described in Chapter one?
9. Describe the scene at Irma Freneau's mother's house in Chapter fifteen?
10. In Chapter four, what does Henry tell Jack has been happening to him lately while Jack is driving Henry home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following to write about:
1) Do you think Jack would have chosen to go to the Territories to be with Sophie even if he had not been shot? Why or why not?
2) What do you feel are the most obvious moments of foreshadowing in the book or the most important? What events in the story do you feel there should have been some foreshadowing of but there was not? Explain.
3) If there was a book following Black House which characters would you want to see it focus on and what from Black House do you think would be revisited? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
1) Do you think that Dale truly gives up his position as police chief? Explain.
2) What do you think is the difference between a police man and a coppice man?
3) How would you have described Speedy's involvement in the story? Do you think he is a coppice man like Jack? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
1) Do you feel that Jack was lying when he would keep partial truths from people, such as telling Dr. Spiegleman that what he was doing was somewhat like profiling? Why or why not?
2) Would you consider Jack a true hero or a flawed hero? Why?
3) Would you rather read about a hero that is flawed or one that fights the profile of a knight in shining armor? Why?
This section contains 1,264 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)