|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Fred tell Jack about Judy?
2. Whose hand writing does Jack find on the note pad in Chapter nine?
3. What does Speedy say that Jack will have to do if Tyler isn't brought back soon?
4. What does Rebecca write down that Burny says to her in the hallway?
5. What does Jack tell Dale to do with the price he has quoted Jack on the house in Chapter four?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene in Chapter four where Jack and Dale are putting up paintings.
2. What happens in Chapter seven when Henry begins playing for the residents at Maxton's?
3. What had happened when Wendell Green had tried to question Beezer after his daughter's body had been discovered?
4. What does Dale tell Jack in Chapter ten when he calls Jack?
5. Describe what happens in Chapter five when Tyler sees the black crow.
6. Describe the conversation that Jack and Wendell Green had that Jack recalls in Chapter four while cooking an omelet.
7. What does Speedy tell Jack in the beginning of Chapter nine?
8. What is explained about Nailhouse Row when it is first described in Chapter one?
9. What does Burny do in Chapter fifteen?
10. In Chapter fourteen, what does Fred tell Jack he should know about Judy before they go to see her at the institution?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Why is it that Judy was willing to kiss Jack when he returned from him meeting with Sophie?
2) What did Jack mean when he said he was in love for the first time after seeing Sophie?
3) What different kinds of love are seen in the story? Which of these seems to be the strongest?
Essay Topic 2
1) What moment in the story would you call the climax? Explain.
2) What was the main plot in the story? What were the subplots? How did these subplots feed into the main plot?
3) Do you feel that the story had a satisfactory ending? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
1) Do you feel that Jack was lying when he would keep partial truths from people, such as telling Dr. Spiegleman that what he was doing was somewhat like profiling? Why or why not?
2) Would you consider Jack a true hero or a flawed hero? Why?
3) Would you rather read about a hero that is flawed or one that fights the profile of a knight in shining armor? Why?
This section contains 1,097 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)