|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hudson take from one of the guards?
2. What kind of accommodation is Hudson staying in?
3. Where does Carroll meet Colonel Williamson?
4. Why does Thompson say Hudson left the army?
5. What is Ernie Tubbs' nickname?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's dialogue. Discuss how Patterson's dialogue contributes to the following areas:
Essay Topic 2
Look at the structure of the novel:
1) How does Patterson use character and dialogue to drive the narrative.
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Away from the main character examine the way Fleming uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
Examine violence in the novel.
1) How do the characters in the novel view violence? Are there are character that would think twice before shooting or hitting someone?
2) Do the characters need to be violent to cope in the world that Patterson portrays?
3) In what way is violence an important of the book and the meaning it attempts to convey?
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)