|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What shoots down Carroll's helicopter?
2. Who is Hudson taken to meet in this section?
3. What is Macchio's job?
4. Who leads the meeting Caitlin attends?
5. What does Hudson he ran into after he killed Lizard Man?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sammantha tell Carroll about David Hudson in this section?
2. How does Harry react to Manserrat's questioning?
3. How do the men capture Harry Stemkowsky?
4. How does Hudson kill Billie Bogan?
5. Describe the chase between Carroll and Green Band.
6. What happens to Carroll's son Mickey in this section?
7. What truth does Carrol learn in this section?
8. What does Carroll decide to do about his developing relationship with Caitlin?
9. What happens to Hudson at the end of the novel?
10. What does Carroll discover at the vet's garage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Patterson's writing style. How would you describe Patterson's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Patterson's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the structure of the novel:
1) How does Patterson use character and dialogue to drive the narrative.
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Away from the main character examine the way Fleming uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
Black Friday is part of the thriller genre and Patterson is a noted thriller writer.
1) What are the conventions of the genre in terms of character, language and plot?
2) In what way have Patterson's novels helped to set the template for similar novels? Do modern novels still use the ideas employed in Black Friday?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)