|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What shoots down Carroll's helicopter?
2. Which building does the message say terrorists will bomb next?
3. What does Billie urge herself not to do?
4. Where does Carroll meet Colonel Williamson?
5. Who is Hudson taken to meet in this section?
Short Essay Questions
1. What truth does Carrol learn in this section?
2. What new information do Nicolo and Rizzo give at the meeting?
3. How does Birnbaum plan to try and save the economy?
4. What does Sammantha tell Carroll about David Hudson in this section?
5. What happens to Carroll's son Mickey in this section?
6. How does Harry react to Manserrat's questioning?
7. What does Anton think about the committee of twelve?
8. What happens to Hudson at the end of the novel?
9. How do Caitlin and Carroll search for the men involved in Green Band?
10. What does Carroll decide to do about his developing relationship with Caitlin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the time period? How does Patterson use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
Examine violence in the novel.
1) How do the characters in the novel view violence? Are there are character that would think twice before shooting or hitting someone?
2) Do the characters need to be violent to cope in the world that Patterson portrays?
3) In what way is violence an important of the book and the meaning it attempts to convey?
Essay Topic 3
Do you think Patterson's representation of Iraqis is accurate? Would Patterson be able to get away with such a representation today? How would his representation of Iraqis be different if he wrote the novel today?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)