|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Carroll want Freddie to tell him about?
2. What does Carroll discover while questioning the drug dealer?
3. What does the recording from the terrorists urge the FBI to do?
4. Which of the following cities do Carroll and Caitlin not receive a message from?
5. What is Steve Glickman's nickname?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information do Carroll and Caitlin receive about Pyotr Andronov?
2. What happens Just before 5:30 on the morning of December 4th?
3. What does Caitlin reveal at the meeting at the New York Stock Exchange building?
4. Why do the officials decide to suspend trading on Wall Street?
5. How does Carroll get information from Isabella Marqueza?
6. Why does Caitlin and Carroll meet with Freddie Hotchkiss?
7. What is discussed at the meeting with the President?
8. What does the recorded voice threaten?
9. What happens when Carroll meets with Michael Chevron?
10. Why did Caitlin become a financial analyst?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the relationship between America and Russia in the eighties.
1) How did Russia cope with Americas success and their own decline?
2) How does Patterson express the relationship between Russia and America? Is this a true reflection?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1980s. How does Patterson express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novels meaning would change if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Patterson's writing style. How would you describe Patterson's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Patterson's style give to the story?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)