|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following cities do Carroll and Caitlin not receive a message from?
2. Who does the President want to turn the investigation over to?
3. Which of the following two characters make up the rifleman-sniper team?
4. What does Carroll tell Freddie he lied about?
5. Who does Carroll want Freddie to tell him about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens at Carroll's home that evening?
2. What does Caitlin reveal at the meeting at the New York Stock Exchange building?
3. What is discussed at the meeting with the President?
4. Why did Caitlin become a financial analyst?
5. What does Hudson urge the vets to do while traveling?
6. What interrupts David's war memories?
7. What do the Russian officials discuss over breakfast?
8. How does Trentkamp persuade Carroll to stay on the case?
9. How did Caitlin become the director of the SEC's security force?
10. What happens when Arch Carroll sees the Hussain Moussa in the restaurant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How has Patterson developed the story? How has Patterson tried to keep the reader interested in the story? How has Patterson combined the elements in the story such as dialogue and character to develop the plot?
Essay Topic 2
What problems would a stock market crash cause the world economy and why? Are there any countries that would benefit from a stock market crash? How does the stock market try to safe guard against stock market crashes?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1980s. How does Patterson express these concerns?
2) In what ways do you think the novels meaning would change if it was set in today's society?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)