|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who boards the train to meet Hudson?
2. Who has intercepted Pyotr Andronov?
3. Who does Kuchuck pass the information onto?
4. Which of the following characters is the team leader of the Green band?
5. Which of the following cities do Carroll and Caitlin not receive a message from?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Caitlin and Carroll convince Freddie to tell them everything he knows about Chevron ?
2. How does Trentkamp persuade Carroll to stay on the case?
3. How does Carroll get information from Isabella Marqueza?
4. Why does Monserrat kill Isabella?
5. Why did Caitlin become a financial analyst?
6. What happens when David arrives at the hotel?
7. What happens when Arch Carroll sees the Hussain Moussa in the restaurant?
8. What does Hudson urge the vets to do while traveling?
9. What happens at Carroll's home that evening?
10. What is discussed at the meeting with the President?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Patterson's life. In what way do you think his life and personality is reflected in the book? Where could he have learned about the terrorism and the stock market? In what ways is he like or unlike the main character?
Essay Topic 2
Do you think Patterson's representation of Iraqis is accurate? Would Patterson be able to get away with such a representation today? How would his representation of Iraqis be different if he wrote the novel today?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the novel:
1) How does Patterson use character and dialogue to drive the narrative.
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Away from the main character examine the way Fleming uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)