|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What takes place at 9:20 a.m December 4th?
2. What does Trentkamp urge Carroll to keep under control?
3. Who is Carroll dreaming about?
4. What does Carroll tell Freddie he lied about?
5. What do Anton and Caitlin make a list of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the officials decide to suspend trading on Wall Street?
2. What do the two New York City TAC patrolmen find in the Federal Reserve Bank?
3. How does Caitlin and Carroll convince Freddie to tell them everything he knows about Chevron ?
4. How does Carroll get information from Isabella Marqueza?
5. What does Hudson urge the vets to do while traveling?
6. What do the Russian officials discuss over breakfast?
7. Describe the meeting between Caitlin and IRA?
8. How does the story being?
9. What information does Isabella give to Carroll?
10. Why does Monserrat kill Isabella?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did the Vietnam War affect the people in involved? How does Patterson suggest Vietnam has affected the characters in the book? In what way has the affects of the Vietnam War become a major part of popular culture?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the structure of the novel:
1) How does Patterson use character and dialogue to drive the narrative.
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
3) Away from the main character examine the way Fleming uses the other characters in the story. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Patterson's life. In what way do you think his life and personality is reflected in the book? Where could he have learned about the terrorism and the stock market? In what ways is he like or unlike the main character?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)