Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Bernard's attitude towards the insect and, as he understands now, most things and June?
2. What does June tell Bernard shortly after they are married and Bernard kills an insect?
3. Jeremy believes the man in the crowd holding a Communist flag is of a certain nationality. What is it?
4. Why is Part Two titled, "Berlin"?
5. When the father of the small boy at dinner lights a cigarette, why does that give Jeremy a tiny bit of relief?
Essay Topic 1
How does Jeremy feel he was used by June and Bernard while she was in the nursing home? How did June manipulate him into getting messages to Bernard and vice versa? How did Jeremy react to being caught in the middle? What realization might he come to about having parents and marriage?
Essay Topic 2
When Jeremy intervenes in the beating of the boy at dinner, who is he really thinking of? Is the young woman a symbol of anyone? What about the father or the waitress?
Essay Topic 3
At one point during Jeremy's conversations with June, she speaks of God and the halo of light around her body when she was up against the two dogs. She goes on to talk of the inner being, the healing power of love and belief in God. Jeremy is embarrassed for June at hearing her talk this way as he is when anyone speaks of such things. Why does Jeremy wince at this talk? What is he thinking about June's belief in a soul and an afterlife? Why does he believe she needs to have this "glad-hearted believing"? What does religion offer to those who believe, according to Jeremy?
This section contains 378 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)