|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were Bernard's feelings about June's commitment to the Communist Party after the incident with the insect in Part Two?
2. What does Mme. Auriac give the little boy who got hurt?
3. In what way did Jeremy realize he had heard of Jenny's father, Bernard Tremaine?
4. What does June tell Bernard shortly after they are married and Bernard kills an insect?
5. What is it about a small boy dining at the hotel that touches Jeremy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Jeremy afraid when he goes to open the bergerie after it had been closed up for two months?
2. Bernard talks to Jeremy about he and June staying in a little town on their way home from Italy and on the way to the gorge. Bernard had been with only June for hours without any time alone. How does he feel when he goes out for a walk and is alone with his thoughts?
3. How does the taxi driver's intervention in Bernard's speech during the cab ride affect him?
4. When Jeremy and Bernard begin to discuss things that June told Jeremy for her memoir, what is Bernard's initial reaction?
5. In Part Three when Jeremy and Bernard are at the airport, how does Bernard answer Jeremy's question about the black dogs?
6. When Bernard calls Jeremy and Jenny to tell them the Berlin Wall is coming down, how do they react?
7. When Bernard recalls the story in Part Two of him and June standing on the train platform and he asks June to give him a dragonfly, how does June know that Bernard wants to kill it?
8. When Jeremy becomes part of a squabble with a father in the hotel, why does he feel it to be a drama played out for his behalf?
9. How does it come to be that all of the hotel patrons end up eating dinner at the same time?
10. What is it that Jeremy mulls over as having discouraged him from rushing to open the electrical cupboard to turn on the lights, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
June's black dogs and Bernard's caterpillars are symbolic of their separate ways of viewing the world. How is that so?
Essay Topic 2
How does Jeremy feel he was used by June and Bernard while she was in the nursing home? How did June manipulate him into getting messages to Bernard and vice versa? How did Jeremy react to being caught in the middle? What realization might he come to about having parents and marriage?
Essay Topic 3
After Junes' death, Bernard explains his feelings for her to Jeremy. If Bernard was in love with June, why could they not live together? Is it Bernard's or June's personality which got in the way of reconciliation? What was it about June, in particular, that kept the couple apart?
This section contains 1,132 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)