|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bernard refer to June's preoccupation with the spiritual world in Part Two?
2. In Part Two, what does Bernard say he misses most about June?
3. Bernard quotes some lines attributed to Isaiah Berlin to Jeremy. What are they about?
4. When does Jeremy state he intended to originally end the memoir he is writing?
5. How does Jenny react when Jeremy tells her that he thinks he is going mad with listening to these conversations in his head?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Bernard finishes telling Jeremy the story in Part Two of how Bernard thought women and men think differently, and that women such as June think in magical terms, what is Jeremy thinking?
2. Jeremy asks Bernard if he's ever had the feeling that he was tempting fate. What response does Bernard give to that?
3. When Jeremy and Jenny visit a concentration camp near Lublin, what does Jenny finally say to him after an hour of silence?
4. What do the father and mother do to the boy at dinner?
5. When Bernard and Jeremy get the key from Gunter to an apartment they will stay at in Berlin, how is Gunter right when he tells them it is not a good idea to go to the Wall?
6. What does Jeremy imagine Bernard would be telling him about June's perceived presence in the bergerie?
7. Bernard talks to Jeremy about he and June staying in a little town on their way home from Italy and on the way to the gorge. Bernard had been with only June for hours without any time alone. How does he feel when he goes out for a walk and is alone with his thoughts?
8. When Bernard asks Jeremy to accompany him to Berlin, what makes him agree even though he is due to be in France?
9. Bernard tells Jeremy as they are walking toward the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin that he thought certain things about June for the first six months after she died. What does he tell Jeremy?
10. How does it come to be that all of the hotel patrons end up eating dinner at the same time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What problems do the three main characters in this story encounter? Do they manage to resolve them by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 2
While touring the concentration camp with Jeremy, Jenny mentions the "black dogs". What significance does this hold for her? How is she relating it to Majdanek?
Essay Topic 3
Jeremy is obsessed with studying the photograph of June as a young woman. What makes the photograph so appealing to him? Why? How does the appeal of the photograph of June contrast with the time in history the photograph was taken?
This section contains 1,173 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)