|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Bernard talks about June's wanting to living apart from him in Part Two, what does he refer to himself as?
2. In Part Three of the book, Jeremy asks Bernard to tell him the details of a story. Which story is that?
3. Why won't Bernard make conversation with the taxi driver who takes him to the airport?
4. What does Mme. Auriac give to Jeremy while waiting for the police to arrive?
5. What did the sign posted outside of Majdanek's main entrance not mention?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Jeremy is working outside the bergerie the day after he arrives, he is pruning peach trees. What do Bernard and June say to one another in his imagination?
2. What would be an apt description of the small family staying at the hotel?
3. When Jeremy becomes part of a squabble with a father in the hotel, why does he feel it to be a drama played out for his behalf?
4. Why is Jeremy afraid when he goes to open the bergerie after it had been closed up for two months?
5. When Bernard asks Jeremy to accompany him to Berlin, what makes him agree even though he is due to be in France?
6. When Jeremy and Jenny first speak to each other of their parents, what intrigues Jeremy?
7. When Bernard recalls the story in Part Two of him and June standing on the train platform and he asks June to give him a dragonfly, how does June know that Bernard wants to kill it?
8. Bernard talks to Jeremy about he and June staying in a little town on their way home from Italy and on the way to the gorge. Bernard had been with only June for hours without any time alone. How does he feel when he goes out for a walk and is alone with his thoughts?
9. How does the taxi driver's intervention in Bernard's speech during the cab ride affect him?
10. When Jeremy and Jenny visit a concentration camp near Lublin, what does Jenny finally say to him after an hour of silence?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After Junes' death, Bernard explains his feelings for her to Jeremy. If Bernard was in love with June, why could they not live together? Is it Bernard's or June's personality which got in the way of reconciliation? What was it about June, in particular, that kept the couple apart?
Essay Topic 2
What problems do the three main characters in this story encounter? Do they manage to resolve them by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast June and Bernard's personalities and belief systems.
This section contains 1,062 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)