|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Jeremy speaks to the father eating dinner in the hotel, what grammatical error does he make?
2. When Bernard and Jeremy look out over the border and the Wall from an observation stand in Part Two, what one word does Jeremy have to say?
3. When Bernard finally thanks the person who saved him from the teenagers, how does he do it?
4. When do Jenny and Jeremy end up getting married?
5. What does Jeremy ask Bernard when he speaks of June and Bernard's love for one another?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Bernard recalls the story in Part Two of him and June standing on the train platform and he asks June to give him a dragonfly, how does June know that Bernard wants to kill it?
2. When Jeremy and Jenny visit a concentration camp near Lublin, what does Jenny finally say to him after an hour of silence?
3. When Bernard and Jeremy get the key from Gunter to an apartment they will stay at in Berlin, how is Gunter right when he tells them it is not a good idea to go to the Wall?
4. When Bernard asks Jeremy to accompany him to Berlin, what makes him agree even though he is due to be in France?
5. When Jeremy first meets Jenny at a convention, why is that he can't get to speak to her alone?
6. When Bernard and June are waiting at the train station to go into Arles, why do they walk into town instead of continuing to wait?
7. When Bernard calls Jeremy and Jenny to tell them the Berlin Wall is coming down, how do they react?
8. What is it that Jeremy mulls over as having discouraged him from rushing to open the electrical cupboard to turn on the lights, and why?
9. Bernard tells Jeremy as they are walking toward the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin that he thought certain things about June for the first six months after she died. What does he tell Jeremy?
10. Why is Jeremy afraid when he goes to open the bergerie after it had been closed up for two months?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What problems do the three main characters in this story encounter? Do they manage to resolve them by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 2
After Junes' death, Bernard explains his feelings for her to Jeremy. If Bernard was in love with June, why could they not live together? Is it Bernard's or June's personality which got in the way of reconciliation? What was it about June, in particular, that kept the couple apart?
Essay Topic 3
In what scenes and under what circumstances does June seem to be involved in guiding or helping the still-living members of her family? Does she really have a hand in the matters cited or are the characters simply hoping she is still involved in their lives?
This section contains 1,147 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)