|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Jeremy and the father in the hotel restaurant go after speaking?
2. After Jenny and Jeremy visited Majdanek, how long was it before they spoke to one another?
3. How does Jenny react when Jeremy tells her that he thinks he is going mad with listening to these conversations in his head?
4. When Bernard and Jeremy are at the Berlin Wall, why are some of the crowd watching and listening to them both?
5. How did Jenny astound Jeremy within the second week of meeting him at the convention?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Bernard and Jeremy get the key from Gunter to an apartment they will stay at in Berlin, how is Gunter right when he tells them it is not a good idea to go to the Wall?
2. When Jeremy and Jenny first speak to each other of their parents, what intrigues Jeremy?
3. When Bernard recalls the story in Part Two of him and June standing on the train platform and he asks June to give him a dragonfly, how does June know that Bernard wants to kill it?
4. When Bernard and June are waiting at the train station to go into Arles, why do they walk into town instead of continuing to wait?
5. Why is Jeremy afraid when he goes to open the bergerie after it had been closed up for two months?
6. When Jeremy and Jenny visit a concentration camp near Lublin, what does Jenny finally say to him after an hour of silence?
7. How does the taxi driver's intervention in Bernard's speech during the cab ride affect him?
8. What is it that Jeremy mulls over as having discouraged him from rushing to open the electrical cupboard to turn on the lights, and why?
9. How does it come to be that all of the hotel patrons end up eating dinner at the same time?
10. In Part Three when Jeremy and Bernard are at the airport, how does Bernard answer Jeremy's question about the black dogs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While touring the concentration camp with Jeremy, Jenny mentions the "black dogs". What significance does this hold for her? How is she relating it to Majdanek?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast June and Bernard's personalities and belief systems.
Essay Topic 3
June's black dogs and Bernard's caterpillars are symbolic of their separate ways of viewing the world. How is that so?
This section contains 1,065 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)