|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bernard react to Jeremy's knowledge of where they had met the women who helped Bernard get to a taxi?
2. What is the name of the Hotel des Tilleuls' owner?
3. After leaving Berlin and Bernard, where does Jeremy go?
4. What feeling does Jeremy get when he enters the family chalet?
5. In Part Two, what does Bernard say he misses most about June?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the taxi driver's intervention in Bernard's speech during the cab ride affect him?
2. What is it that Jeremy mulls over as having discouraged him from rushing to open the electrical cupboard to turn on the lights, and why?
3. When Jeremy and Jenny visit a concentration camp near Lublin, what does Jenny finally say to him after an hour of silence?
4. In Part Three when Jeremy and Bernard are at the airport, how does Bernard answer Jeremy's question about the black dogs?
5. When Jeremy and Bernard share a cab to the airport, what do they talk about?
6. When Bernard and June are waiting at the train station to go into Arles, why do they walk into town instead of continuing to wait?
7. When Bernard calls Jeremy and Jenny to tell them the Berlin Wall is coming down, how do they react?
8. Jeremy asks Bernard if he's ever had the feeling that he was tempting fate. What response does Bernard give to that?
9. When Jeremy and Bernard begin to discuss things that June told Jeremy for her memoir, what is Bernard's initial reaction?
10. How does it come to be that all of the hotel patrons end up eating dinner at the same time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When the story that the Maire told about the black dogs is explained, how does this affect June? How does it explain the dogs she saw and her premonition about them?
Essay Topic 2
What is it about June's story of the black dogs that might have someone believe it was her imagination? Point out phrases or words in the retelling of the scene to support your explanation.
Essay Topic 3
The black dogs that June encountered were more than dogs to her. They were a symbol of great importance. What did they symbolize to her? In what way does her belief bear some truth?
This section contains 1,024 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)