|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were Bernard's feelings about June's commitment to the Communist Party after the incident with the insect in Part Two?
2. Where did Jeremy and Jenny first meet?
3. When does Jeremy state he intended to originally end the memoir he is writing?
4. When do Jenny and Jeremy end up getting married?
5. When the teenagers take their leave, how do they do it without losing face?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Jeremy and Bernard begin to discuss things that June told Jeremy for her memoir, what is Bernard's initial reaction?
2. What do the father and mother do to the boy at dinner?
3. When Jeremy is working outside the bergerie the day after he arrives, he is pruning peach trees. What do Bernard and June say to one another in his imagination?
4. What does Jeremy imagine Bernard would be telling him about June's perceived presence in the bergerie?
5. What is it that Jeremy mulls over as having discouraged him from rushing to open the electrical cupboard to turn on the lights, and why?
6. When Jeremy first meets Jenny at a convention, why is that he can't get to speak to her alone?
7. When Bernard and June are waiting at the train station to go into Arles, why do they walk into town instead of continuing to wait?
8. In Part Three when Jeremy and Bernard are at the airport, how does Bernard answer Jeremy's question about the black dogs?
9. How does it come to be that all of the hotel patrons end up eating dinner at the same time?
10. When Jeremy and Bernard share a cab to the airport, what do they talk about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When June kills the dogs, she is also killing something else in a symbolic fashion. What is she getting rid of, and why? What does she find that is new for her? In what way does her encounter change June, and how does it affect her relationship with Bernard?
Essay Topic 2
One line in Part Four reads "The empty air, suffused with sunlight, seemed to contain a darkness just beyond the reach of vision". Explain this sentence as it relates to the story as a whole. Give examples, citing scenes from the book to support your explanation.
Essay Topic 3
While touring the concentration camp with Jeremy, Jenny mentions the "black dogs". What significance does this hold for her? How is she relating it to Majdanek?
This section contains 1,136 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)