|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jeremy realize he and Bernard had seen the woman and her friend who helps them to a taxi?
2. What is the name of the Hotel des Tilleuls' owner?
3. How does Bernard react to Jeremy's knowledge of where they had met the women who helped Bernard get to a taxi?
4. What symbol do some of the teenage boys who harass Bernard have on their selves?
5. What was Jeremy's reason for his five hour walk to the dolmen?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Jeremy is working outside the bergerie the day after he arrives, he is pruning peach trees. What do Bernard and June say to one another in his imagination?
2. When Bernard and Jeremy get the key from Gunter to an apartment they will stay at in Berlin, how is Gunter right when he tells them it is not a good idea to go to the Wall?
3. Bernard tells Jeremy as they are walking toward the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin that he thought certain things about June for the first six months after she died. What does he tell Jeremy?
4. What is it that Jeremy mulls over as having discouraged him from rushing to open the electrical cupboard to turn on the lights, and why?
5. When Bernard asks Jeremy to accompany him to Berlin, what makes him agree even though he is due to be in France?
6. What do the father and mother do to the boy at dinner?
7. Jeremy asks Bernard if he's ever had the feeling that he was tempting fate. What response does Bernard give to that?
8. When Jeremy becomes part of a squabble with a father in the hotel, why does he feel it to be a drama played out for his behalf?
9. When Jeremy and Bernard begin to discuss things that June told Jeremy for her memoir, what is Bernard's initial reaction?
10. Bernard talks to Jeremy about he and June staying in a little town on their way home from Italy and on the way to the gorge. Bernard had been with only June for hours without any time alone. How does he feel when he goes out for a walk and is alone with his thoughts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One line in Part Four reads "The empty air, suffused with sunlight, seemed to contain a darkness just beyond the reach of vision". Explain this sentence as it relates to the story as a whole. Give examples, citing scenes from the book to support your explanation.
Essay Topic 2
June's black dogs and Bernard's caterpillars are symbolic of their separate ways of viewing the world. How is that so?
Essay Topic 3
How does Jeremy feel he was used by June and Bernard while she was in the nursing home? How did June manipulate him into getting messages to Bernard and vice versa? How did Jeremy react to being caught in the middle? What realization might he come to about having parents and marriage?
This section contains 1,159 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)