|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When do Jenny and Jeremy end up getting married?
2. What feeling does Jeremy get when he enters the family chalet?
3. What happens to Bernard when a group of teenagers approach him at the Berlin Wall?
4. When Jenny told Jeremy she considered him a friend and touched his hand, what happened next?
5. What does June tell Bernard shortly after they are married and Bernard kills an insect?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Bernard and Jeremy get the key from Gunter to an apartment they will stay at in Berlin, how is Gunter right when he tells them it is not a good idea to go to the Wall?
2. When Bernard and June are waiting at the train station to go into Arles, why do they walk into town instead of continuing to wait?
3. Bernard tells Jeremy as they are walking toward the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin that he thought certain things about June for the first six months after she died. What does he tell Jeremy?
4. When Jeremy and Jenny visit a concentration camp near Lublin, what does Jenny finally say to him after an hour of silence?
5. What is it that Jeremy mulls over as having discouraged him from rushing to open the electrical cupboard to turn on the lights, and why?
6. When Bernard finishes telling Jeremy the story in Part Two of how Bernard thought women and men think differently, and that women such as June think in magical terms, what is Jeremy thinking?
7. When Bernard asks Jeremy to accompany him to Berlin, what makes him agree even though he is due to be in France?
8. How does the taxi driver's intervention in Bernard's speech during the cab ride affect him?
9. Why is Jeremy afraid when he goes to open the bergerie after it had been closed up for two months?
10. When Jeremy is working outside the bergerie the day after he arrives, he is pruning peach trees. What do Bernard and June say to one another in his imagination?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Jeremy intervenes in the beating of the boy at dinner, who is he really thinking of? Is the young woman a symbol of anyone? What about the father or the waitress?
Essay Topic 2
In what scenes and under what circumstances does June seem to be involved in guiding or helping the still-living members of her family? Does she really have a hand in the matters cited or are the characters simply hoping she is still involved in their lives?
Essay Topic 3
The black dogs that June encountered were more than dogs to her. They were a symbol of great importance. What did they symbolize to her? In what way does her belief bear some truth?
This section contains 1,117 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)