|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mme. Auriac give to Jeremy while waiting for the police to arrive?
2. At the cultural convention where Jeremy first met Jenny, why were the men "in a race" to get to Jenny first?
3. Who ends up saving Bernard from the teenagers?
4. What are Jeremy and Bernard walking towards in Part Two to get to a better section of the Wall?
5. How long did Bernard stay in the Communist Party?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Jeremy becomes part of a squabble with a father in the hotel, why does he feel it to be a drama played out for his behalf?
2. When Bernard recalls the story in Part Two of him and June standing on the train platform and he asks June to give him a dragonfly, how does June know that Bernard wants to kill it?
3. When Jeremy is working outside the bergerie the day after he arrives, he is pruning peach trees. What do Bernard and June say to one another in his imagination?
4. When Jeremy first meets Jenny at a convention, why is that he can't get to speak to her alone?
5. When Bernard and Jeremy get the key from Gunter to an apartment they will stay at in Berlin, how is Gunter right when he tells them it is not a good idea to go to the Wall?
6. When Jeremy and Bernard share a cab to the airport, what do they talk about?
7. Bernard talks to Jeremy about he and June staying in a little town on their way home from Italy and on the way to the gorge. Bernard had been with only June for hours without any time alone. How does he feel when he goes out for a walk and is alone with his thoughts?
8. What do the father and mother do to the boy at dinner?
9. When Jeremy and Jenny visit a concentration camp near Lublin, what does Jenny finally say to him after an hour of silence?
10. When Jeremy and Jenny first speak to each other of their parents, what intrigues Jeremy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast June and Bernard's personalities and belief systems.
Essay Topic 2
How does Jeremy feel he was used by June and Bernard while she was in the nursing home? How did June manipulate him into getting messages to Bernard and vice versa? How did Jeremy react to being caught in the middle? What realization might he come to about having parents and marriage?
Essay Topic 3
When Jeremy intervenes in the beating of the boy at dinner, who is he really thinking of? Is the young woman a symbol of anyone? What about the father or the waitress?
This section contains 1,063 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)