|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the cultural convention where Jeremy first met Jenny, why were the men "in a race" to get to Jenny first?
2. How does Bernard refer to June's preoccupation with the spiritual world in Part Two?
3. What does Mme. Auriac give to Jeremy while waiting for the police to arrive?
4. Why won't Bernard make conversation with the taxi driver who takes him to the airport?
5. What does Jeremy do with the father who had been eating dinner with his family?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Jeremy and Bernard share a cab to the airport, what do they talk about?
2. When Bernard finishes telling Jeremy the story in Part Two of how Bernard thought women and men think differently, and that women such as June think in magical terms, what is Jeremy thinking?
3. When Jeremy and Bernard begin to discuss things that June told Jeremy for her memoir, what is Bernard's initial reaction?
4. When Bernard calls Jeremy and Jenny to tell them the Berlin Wall is coming down, how do they react?
5. How does the taxi driver's intervention in Bernard's speech during the cab ride affect him?
6. When Bernard asks Jeremy to accompany him to Berlin, what makes him agree even though he is due to be in France?
7. When Bernard and June are waiting at the train station to go into Arles, why do they walk into town instead of continuing to wait?
8. What does Jeremy imagine Bernard would be telling him about June's perceived presence in the bergerie?
9. When Jeremy and Jenny visit a concentration camp near Lublin, what does Jenny finally say to him after an hour of silence?
10. What do the father and mother do to the boy at dinner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As early as the Preface of the book, Jeremy states that the simplest way of restoring a lost parent is to become a parent yourself. What do you think he meant by this statement? How is it true or false? How does this statement reflect Jeremy's relationship with Sally?
Essay Topic 2
How does Jeremy feel he was used by June and Bernard while she was in the nursing home? How did June manipulate him into getting messages to Bernard and vice versa? How did Jeremy react to being caught in the middle? What realization might he come to about having parents and marriage?
Essay Topic 3
In what scenes and under what circumstances does June seem to be involved in guiding or helping the still-living members of her family? Does she really have a hand in the matters cited or are the characters simply hoping she is still involved in their lives?
This section contains 1,119 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)