|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After leaving Berlin and Bernard, where does Jeremy go?
2. What is it about a small boy dining at the hotel that touches Jeremy?
3. When Bernard and Jeremy are at the Berlin Wall, why are some of the crowd watching and listening to them both?
4. How long did Bernard stay in the Communist Party?
5. When Bernard talks about June's wanting to living apart from him in Part Two, what does he refer to himself as?
Short Essay Questions
1. Bernard talks to Jeremy about he and June staying in a little town on their way home from Italy and on the way to the gorge. Bernard had been with only June for hours without any time alone. How does he feel when he goes out for a walk and is alone with his thoughts?
2. In Part Three when Jeremy and Bernard are at the airport, how does Bernard answer Jeremy's question about the black dogs?
3. When Jeremy and Bernard begin to discuss things that June told Jeremy for her memoir, what is Bernard's initial reaction?
4. When Bernard calls Jeremy and Jenny to tell them the Berlin Wall is coming down, how do they react?
5. How does the taxi driver's intervention in Bernard's speech during the cab ride affect him?
6. Why is Jeremy afraid when he goes to open the bergerie after it had been closed up for two months?
7. How does it come to be that all of the hotel patrons end up eating dinner at the same time?
8. When Jeremy and Jenny visit a concentration camp near Lublin, what does Jenny finally say to him after an hour of silence?
9. What do the father and mother do to the boy at dinner?
10. When Bernard and Jeremy get the key from Gunter to an apartment they will stay at in Berlin, how is Gunter right when he tells them it is not a good idea to go to the Wall?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As early as the Preface of the book, Jeremy states that the simplest way of restoring a lost parent is to become a parent yourself. What do you think he meant by this statement? How is it true or false? How does this statement reflect Jeremy's relationship with Sally?
Essay Topic 2
Jeremy is obsessed with studying the photograph of June as a young woman. What makes the photograph so appealing to him? Why? How does the appeal of the photograph of June contrast with the time in history the photograph was taken?
Essay Topic 3
When a tough girl in leather saves Bernard from nearly being killed by a gang of boys in Berlin, who did that girl represent? Why? Does Bernard believe in this symbol?
This section contains 1,106 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)