|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Jeremy tries to get some words in edgewise during the conversation he is overhearing, what do the voices do?
2. Who calls Jeremy late at night to give him news of Berlin?
3. Where do Jeremy and the father in the hotel restaurant go after speaking?
4. Where did Jeremy and Jenny first meet?
5. When a group of teenagers surround Bernard, what does he tell them?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Jeremy and Jenny visit a concentration camp near Lublin, what does Jenny finally say to him after an hour of silence?
2. How does it come to be that all of the hotel patrons end up eating dinner at the same time?
3. When Bernard asks Jeremy to accompany him to Berlin, what makes him agree even though he is due to be in France?
4. How does the taxi driver's intervention in Bernard's speech during the cab ride affect him?
5. When Bernard and June are waiting at the train station to go into Arles, why do they walk into town instead of continuing to wait?
6. Bernard tells Jeremy as they are walking toward the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin that he thought certain things about June for the first six months after she died. What does he tell Jeremy?
7. When Jeremy and Bernard begin to discuss things that June told Jeremy for her memoir, what is Bernard's initial reaction?
8. Jeremy asks Bernard if he's ever had the feeling that he was tempting fate. What response does Bernard give to that?
9. Bernard talks to Jeremy about he and June staying in a little town on their way home from Italy and on the way to the gorge. Bernard had been with only June for hours without any time alone. How does he feel when he goes out for a walk and is alone with his thoughts?
10. When Bernard calls Jeremy and Jenny to tell them the Berlin Wall is coming down, how do they react?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast June and Bernard's personalities and belief systems.
Essay Topic 2
When Jeremy intervenes in the beating of the boy at dinner, who is he really thinking of? Is the young woman a symbol of anyone? What about the father or the waitress?
Essay Topic 3
In what scenes and under what circumstances does June seem to be involved in guiding or helping the still-living members of her family? Does she really have a hand in the matters cited or are the characters simply hoping she is still involved in their lives?
This section contains 1,079 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)