|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bernard quotes some lines attributed to Isaiah Berlin to Jeremy. What are they about?
2. How long did Bernard stay in the Communist Party?
3. Jeremy believes the man in the crowd holding a Communist flag is of a certain nationality. What is it?
4. Where did Jeremy and Jenny first meet?
5. In Part Two, what does Bernard say he misses most about June?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the father and mother do to the boy at dinner?
2. Why is Jeremy afraid when he goes to open the bergerie after it had been closed up for two months?
3. When Bernard finishes telling Jeremy the story in Part Two of how Bernard thought women and men think differently, and that women such as June think in magical terms, what is Jeremy thinking?
4. How does it come to be that all of the hotel patrons end up eating dinner at the same time?
5. In Part Three when Jeremy and Bernard are at the airport, how does Bernard answer Jeremy's question about the black dogs?
6. What would be an apt description of the small family staying at the hotel?
7. Jeremy asks Bernard if he's ever had the feeling that he was tempting fate. What response does Bernard give to that?
8. Bernard tells Jeremy as they are walking toward the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin that he thought certain things about June for the first six months after she died. What does he tell Jeremy?
9. Bernard talks to Jeremy about he and June staying in a little town on their way home from Italy and on the way to the gorge. Bernard had been with only June for hours without any time alone. How does he feel when he goes out for a walk and is alone with his thoughts?
10. What does Jeremy imagine Bernard would be telling him about June's perceived presence in the bergerie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what scenes and under what circumstances does June seem to be involved in guiding or helping the still-living members of her family? Does she really have a hand in the matters cited or are the characters simply hoping she is still involved in their lives?
Essay Topic 2
While touring the concentration camp with Jeremy, Jenny mentions the "black dogs". What significance does this hold for her? How is she relating it to Majdanek?
Essay Topic 3
How does Jeremy feel he was used by June and Bernard while she was in the nursing home? How did June manipulate him into getting messages to Bernard and vice versa? How did Jeremy react to being caught in the middle? What realization might he come to about having parents and marriage?
This section contains 1,122 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)