|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Bernard and Jeremy look out over the border and the Wall from an observation stand in Part Two, what one word does Jeremy have to say?
2. What time of day does Jeremy return to the bergerie?
3. When Jeremy asks Bernard if he wants to sit and rest for a while as they make their way to a cafe, why does Bernard leave his side?
4. In Part Two, what news does Bernard have when he calls Jeremy and Jenny at home?
5. What deformity did Jenny have at birth?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Bernard and June are waiting at the train station to go into Arles, why do they walk into town instead of continuing to wait?
2. When Bernard asks Jeremy to accompany him to Berlin, what makes him agree even though he is due to be in France?
3. Bernard talks to Jeremy about he and June staying in a little town on their way home from Italy and on the way to the gorge. Bernard had been with only June for hours without any time alone. How does he feel when he goes out for a walk and is alone with his thoughts?
4. When Bernard finishes telling Jeremy the story in Part Two of how Bernard thought women and men think differently, and that women such as June think in magical terms, what is Jeremy thinking?
5. What do the father and mother do to the boy at dinner?
6. Jeremy asks Bernard if he's ever had the feeling that he was tempting fate. What response does Bernard give to that?
7. When Bernard calls Jeremy and Jenny to tell them the Berlin Wall is coming down, how do they react?
8. Why is Jeremy afraid when he goes to open the bergerie after it had been closed up for two months?
9. When Jeremy and Jenny visit a concentration camp near Lublin, what does Jenny finally say to him after an hour of silence?
10. When Jeremy first meets Jenny at a convention, why is that he can't get to speak to her alone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While touring the concentration camp with Jeremy, Jenny mentions the "black dogs". What significance does this hold for her? How is she relating it to Majdanek?
Essay Topic 2
When a tough girl in leather saves Bernard from nearly being killed by a gang of boys in Berlin, who did that girl represent? Why? Does Bernard believe in this symbol?
Essay Topic 3
The black dogs that June encountered were more than dogs to her. They were a symbol of great importance. What did they symbolize to her? In what way does her belief bear some truth?
This section contains 1,076 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)