|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Bernard's attitude towards the insect and, as he understands now, most things and June?
2. Who holds the little boy who fell to the floor?
3. What is the name of the Hotel des Tilleuls' owner?
4. What does Jenny tell Jeremy when he asks why she mentioned black dogs earlier?
5. When Jeremy, in Part Two, tells Bernard what June spoke about in a personal way about the two of them, how does Bernard react?
Short Essay Questions
1. Jeremy asks Bernard if he's ever had the feeling that he was tempting fate. What response does Bernard give to that?
2. When Bernard finishes telling Jeremy the story in Part Two of how Bernard thought women and men think differently, and that women such as June think in magical terms, what is Jeremy thinking?
3. When Bernard and Jeremy get the key from Gunter to an apartment they will stay at in Berlin, how is Gunter right when he tells them it is not a good idea to go to the Wall?
4. Why is Jeremy afraid when he goes to open the bergerie after it had been closed up for two months?
5. What is it that Jeremy mulls over as having discouraged him from rushing to open the electrical cupboard to turn on the lights, and why?
6. When Jeremy is working outside the bergerie the day after he arrives, he is pruning peach trees. What do Bernard and June say to one another in his imagination?
7. When Jeremy and Jenny visit a concentration camp near Lublin, what does Jenny finally say to him after an hour of silence?
8. When Jeremy and Jenny first speak to each other of their parents, what intrigues Jeremy?
9. When Jeremy and Bernard begin to discuss things that June told Jeremy for her memoir, what is Bernard's initial reaction?
10. Bernard tells Jeremy as they are walking toward the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin that he thought certain things about June for the first six months after she died. What does he tell Jeremy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When the story that the Maire told about the black dogs is explained, how does this affect June? How does it explain the dogs she saw and her premonition about them?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast June and Bernard's personalities and belief systems.
Essay Topic 3
When Jeremy intervenes in the beating of the boy at dinner, who is he really thinking of? Is the young woman a symbol of anyone? What about the father or the waitress?
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)