|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When do Jenny and Jeremy end up getting married?
2. In Part Two, Bernard and Jeremy see a deserted watchtower over sand that conceal land mines. What do they see there?
3. Who calls Jeremy late at night to give him news of Berlin?
4. What is the name of the woman in the crowd who Bernard notes looks a little bit like June?
5. What time of day does Jeremy return to the bergerie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Jeremy asks Bernard if he's ever had the feeling that he was tempting fate. What response does Bernard give to that?
2. Why is Jeremy afraid when he goes to open the bergerie after it had been closed up for two months?
3. When Jeremy first meets Jenny at a convention, why is that he can't get to speak to her alone?
4. When Jeremy and Jenny first speak to each other of their parents, what intrigues Jeremy?
5. Bernard talks to Jeremy about he and June staying in a little town on their way home from Italy and on the way to the gorge. Bernard had been with only June for hours without any time alone. How does he feel when he goes out for a walk and is alone with his thoughts?
6. What does Jeremy imagine Bernard would be telling him about June's perceived presence in the bergerie?
7. When Jeremy and Bernard begin to discuss things that June told Jeremy for her memoir, what is Bernard's initial reaction?
8. Bernard tells Jeremy as they are walking toward the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin that he thought certain things about June for the first six months after she died. What does he tell Jeremy?
9. When Bernard finishes telling Jeremy the story in Part Two of how Bernard thought women and men think differently, and that women such as June think in magical terms, what is Jeremy thinking?
10. What is it that Jeremy mulls over as having discouraged him from rushing to open the electrical cupboard to turn on the lights, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While touring the concentration camp with Jeremy, Jenny mentions the "black dogs". What significance does this hold for her? How is she relating it to Majdanek?
Essay Topic 2
As early as the Preface of the book, Jeremy states that the simplest way of restoring a lost parent is to become a parent yourself. What do you think he meant by this statement? How is it true or false? How does this statement reflect Jeremy's relationship with Sally?
Essay Topic 3
In what scenes and under what circumstances does June seem to be involved in guiding or helping the still-living members of her family? Does she really have a hand in the matters cited or are the characters simply hoping she is still involved in their lives?
This section contains 1,058 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)