|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jeremy believes the man in the crowd holding a Communist flag is of a certain nationality. What is it?
2. In Part Two, Bernard and Jeremy see a deserted watchtower over sand that conceal land mines. What do they see there?
3. When Bernard and Jeremy are at the Berlin Wall, why are some of the crowd watching and listening to them both?
4. When the father of the small boy at dinner lights a cigarette, why does that give Jeremy a tiny bit of relief?
5. What does Jeremy do with the father who had been eating dinner with his family?
Short Essay Questions
1. Bernard talks to Jeremy about he and June staying in a little town on their way home from Italy and on the way to the gorge. Bernard had been with only June for hours without any time alone. How does he feel when he goes out for a walk and is alone with his thoughts?
2. When Jeremy and Bernard begin to discuss things that June told Jeremy for her memoir, what is Bernard's initial reaction?
3. What would be an apt description of the small family staying at the hotel?
4. When Bernard calls Jeremy and Jenny to tell them the Berlin Wall is coming down, how do they react?
5. When Jeremy and Bernard share a cab to the airport, what do they talk about?
6. When Bernard finishes telling Jeremy the story in Part Two of how Bernard thought women and men think differently, and that women such as June think in magical terms, what is Jeremy thinking?
7. When Bernard and Jeremy get the key from Gunter to an apartment they will stay at in Berlin, how is Gunter right when he tells them it is not a good idea to go to the Wall?
8. When Jeremy becomes part of a squabble with a father in the hotel, why does he feel it to be a drama played out for his behalf?
9. When Jeremy is working outside the bergerie the day after he arrives, he is pruning peach trees. What do Bernard and June say to one another in his imagination?
10. When Bernard asks Jeremy to accompany him to Berlin, what makes him agree even though he is due to be in France?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Jeremy intervenes in the beating of the boy at dinner, who is he really thinking of? Is the young woman a symbol of anyone? What about the father or the waitress?
Essay Topic 2
The black dogs that June encountered were more than dogs to her. They were a symbol of great importance. What did they symbolize to her? In what way does her belief bear some truth?
Essay Topic 3
When a tough girl in leather saves Bernard from nearly being killed by a gang of boys in Berlin, who did that girl represent? Why? Does Bernard believe in this symbol?
This section contains 1,131 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)