|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the Hotel des Tilleuls' owner?
2. What happens to the boy having dinner at the hotel?
3. At the cultural convention where Jeremy first met Jenny, why were the men "in a race" to get to Jenny first?
4. What did the sign posted outside of Majdanek's main entrance not mention?
5. Why does Bernard stare at girls on the street?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jeremy imagine Bernard would be telling him about June's perceived presence in the bergerie?
2. What is it that Jeremy mulls over as having discouraged him from rushing to open the electrical cupboard to turn on the lights, and why?
3. What would be an apt description of the small family staying at the hotel?
4. How does the taxi driver's intervention in Bernard's speech during the cab ride affect him?
5. When Bernard finishes telling Jeremy the story in Part Two of how Bernard thought women and men think differently, and that women such as June think in magical terms, what is Jeremy thinking?
6. When Bernard calls Jeremy and Jenny to tell them the Berlin Wall is coming down, how do they react?
7. When Jeremy is working outside the bergerie the day after he arrives, he is pruning peach trees. What do Bernard and June say to one another in his imagination?
8. How does it come to be that all of the hotel patrons end up eating dinner at the same time?
9. When Jeremy and Jenny first speak to each other of their parents, what intrigues Jeremy?
10. When Jeremy first meets Jenny at a convention, why is that he can't get to speak to her alone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When June kills the dogs, she is also killing something else in a symbolic fashion. What is she getting rid of, and why? What does she find that is new for her? In what way does her encounter change June, and how does it affect her relationship with Bernard?
Essay Topic 2
When the story that the Maire told about the black dogs is explained, how does this affect June? How does it explain the dogs she saw and her premonition about them?
Essay Topic 3
When Jeremy intervenes in the beating of the boy at dinner, who is he really thinking of? Is the young woman a symbol of anyone? What about the father or the waitress?
This section contains 1,062 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)