|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is odd about the story of how June and Bernard first met and began to date?
2. In what way did Jeremy identify with Sally?
3. At what age did Jeremy eventually get married?
4. What was one of the reasons Jeremy did not pursue girls at the age of seventeen?
5. Where did Toby Langley spend some of his childhood?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did June and Bernard separate, according to the Preface?
2. Although June and Bernard appear to be living separate lives in Part One, why does Bernard visit her and want news of her from Jeremy?
3. During one of her conversations with Jeremy, June talks about her obsessive relationship with Bernard and their love for one another that could not work. How does June find peace with this?
4. What was it about his friends' parents that interested Jeremy?
5. When Bernard and June were not talking about their own personal world while dating, what were their conversations about?
6. Does Jeremy feel like a surrogate parent to Sally?
7. When June tells Jeremy that she and Bernard were still obsessed with each other in a physical way, what is Jeremy's reaction?
8. What did Jeremy's friends, such as Toby and Joe, think of Jeremy in terms of being an orphan and living on his own mostly?
9. Why did Jeremy not ever return to Notting Hill?
10. When did Jeremy, in the Prologue, feel that he really began to exist or to live?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the last line in the book mean ("...as sleep rolls in they are receding from her, black stains in the gray of the dawn, fading as they move into the foothills of the mountains from where they will return to haunt us, somewhere in Europe, in another time")?
Essay Topic 2
When the story that the Maire told about the black dogs is explained, how does this affect June? How does it explain the dogs she saw and her premonition about them?
Essay Topic 3
How does Jeremy feel he was used by June and Bernard while she was in the nursing home? How did June manipulate him into getting messages to Bernard and vice versa? How did Jeremy react to being caught in the middle? What realization might he come to about having parents and marriage?
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)