|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Jeremy dedicate his memoir?
2. What is odd about the story of how June and Bernard first met and began to date?
3. What kind of religious service is performed at June's burial?
4. What did Bernard usually do when he knew Jeremy had just been to see June?
5. Why was Jeremy so upset just before leaving for Oxford?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Jeremy feel about leaving home for Oxford and being free to live on his own?
2. When June tells Jeremy that she and Bernard were still obsessed with each other in a physical way, what is Jeremy's reaction?
3. Why did Jeremy feel that Toby Langley did not appreciate his parents?
4. Although June and Bernard appear to be living separate lives in Part One, why does Bernard visit her and want news of her from Jeremy?
5. What thoughts are probably going through Jeremy's mind as he watches June plants flower bulbs?
6. Does Jeremy feel like a surrogate parent to Sally?
7. When Bernard's grandson, Alexander, asks his cousin, Harry, at June's burial when his grandma will be coming back, how does Harry's answer nearly sum up June's and Bernard's relationship problems?
8. Why is Jeremy in such discomfort at a point in Part One when June is speaking to him of God and religion?
9. When did Jeremy, in the Prologue, feel that he really began to exist or to live?
10. In Part One, we know that Jeremy is a bit obsessed with looking at a photograph of June and Bernard that June keeps in her bedroom in the nursing home. What are Jeremy's predominant thoughts when he views the photo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Jeremy feel he was used by June and Bernard while she was in the nursing home? How did June manipulate him into getting messages to Bernard and vice versa? How did Jeremy react to being caught in the middle? What realization might he come to about having parents and marriage?
Essay Topic 2
Jeremy is obsessed with studying the photograph of June as a young woman. What makes the photograph so appealing to him? Why? How does the appeal of the photograph of June contrast with the time in history the photograph was taken?
Essay Topic 3
When Jeremy intervenes in the beating of the boy at dinner, who is he really thinking of? Is the young woman a symbol of anyone? What about the father or the waitress?
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)