|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Harper end up doing by the end of the summer of Jeremy's eighteenth birthday?
2. What did June discover about herself the morning after the dolmen?
3. What did Jeremy do for Sally?
4. Besides Communism, what is one of June's other passions as a young girl?
5. What disease was June dying of?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Jeremy feel about leaving home for Oxford and being free to live on his own?
2. Why did Jeremy feel that Toby Langley did not appreciate his parents?
3. When did Jeremy, in the Prologue, feel that he really began to exist or to live?
4. What did Jeremy's friends, such as Toby and Joe, think of Jeremy in terms of being an orphan and living on his own mostly?
5. In Part One, we know that Jeremy is a bit obsessed with looking at a photograph of June and Bernard that June keeps in her bedroom in the nursing home. What are Jeremy's predominant thoughts when he views the photo?
6. In June's version of how she and Bernard first met, she actively pursues him, making sure that Bernard sees her when he is near his office. She even tries to make small talk with him. Why does June pursue Bernard when he does not even seem to notice her?
7. Does Jeremy feel like a surrogate parent to Sally?
8. Describe Jeremy's method of spending time with his friends' parents.
9. In Bernard's version of how he and June first met, he says that he could see no point in her job, therefore he did not notice her at all. In his world, she did not even exist until someone told him that she was beautiful. What might this say about Bernard's personality?
10. Why is Jeremy in such discomfort at a point in Part One when June is speaking to him of God and religion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What problems do the three main characters in this story encounter? Do they manage to resolve them by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 2
What does the last line in the book mean ("...as sleep rolls in they are receding from her, black stains in the gray of the dawn, fading as they move into the foothills of the mountains from where they will return to haunt us, somewhere in Europe, in another time")?
Essay Topic 3
After Junes' death, Bernard explains his feelings for her to Jeremy. If Bernard was in love with June, why could they not live together? Is it Bernard's or June's personality which got in the way of reconciliation? What was it about June, in particular, that kept the couple apart?
This section contains 988 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)