|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did June and Bernard have their first pre-marital intimate encounter?
2. What was Jeremy writing?
3. Besides Communism, what is one of June's other passions as a young girl?
4. Why did Jeremy work so hard at studying for his A levels?
5. Why did Jeremy persist in his friendship with his in-laws?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Bernard's version of how he and June first met, he says that he could see no point in her job, therefore he did not notice her at all. In his world, she did not even exist until someone told him that she was beautiful. What might this say about Bernard's personality?
2. Why is Jeremy in such discomfort at a point in Part One when June is speaking to him of God and religion?
3. Describe Jeremy's method of spending time with his friends' parents.
4. In what way did Sally react when she could hear her parents having one of their violent arguments?
5. Why did Jeremy not ever return to Notting Hill?
6. What did Jeremy's friends, such as Toby and Joe, think of Jeremy in terms of being an orphan and living on his own mostly?
7. Why does Jeremy state that he naturally identifies with an abandoned child like Sally?
8. Why did Jeremy feel that Toby Langley did not appreciate his parents?
9. When did Jeremy, in the Prologue, feel that he really began to exist or to live?
10. How does June feel that Bernard is so different from her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the last line in the book mean ("...as sleep rolls in they are receding from her, black stains in the gray of the dawn, fading as they move into the foothills of the mountains from where they will return to haunt us, somewhere in Europe, in another time")?
Essay Topic 2
After Junes' death, Bernard explains his feelings for her to Jeremy. If Bernard was in love with June, why could they not live together? Is it Bernard's or June's personality which got in the way of reconciliation? What was it about June, in particular, that kept the couple apart?
Essay Topic 3
What is it about June's story of the black dogs that might have someone believe it was her imagination? Point out phrases or words in the retelling of the scene to support your explanation.
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)