Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children does Jeremy end up having?
2. What did Jeremy do for Sally?
3. To whom does Jeremy dedicate his memoir?
4. From what point of view is the novel written?
5. Bernard leaves the grave site to walk toward a yew tree in the cemetery. What does he do there?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Bernard and June are waiting at the train station to go into Arles, why do they walk into town instead of continuing to wait?
2. How does Jeremy feel about his friends' parents?
3. In June's version of how she and Bernard first met, she actively pursues him, making sure that Bernard sees her when he is near his office. She even tries to make small talk with him. Why does June pursue Bernard when he does not even seem to notice her?
4. Does Jeremy feel like a surrogate parent to Sally?
5. Why does Jeremy state that he naturally identifies with an abandoned child like Sally?
6. Why do June and Bernard decide they must live their separate lives, yet they do not divorce?
7. Describe Jeremy's method of spending time with his friends' parents.
8. Describe Jenny Tremaine as Jeremy first meets her.
9. When Jeremy and Bernard begin to discuss things that June told Jeremy for her memoir, what is Bernard's initial reaction?
10. When Jeremy and Jenny first speak to each other of their parents, what intrigues Jeremy?
Essay Topic 1
Explain Jeremy's great attraction to other people's parents. What was he looking for in them? Does he ever find it? If so, how?
Essay Topic 2
When June kills the dogs, she is also killing something else in a symbolic fashion. What is she getting rid of, and why? What does she find that is new for her? In what way does her encounter change June, and how does it affect her relationship with Bernard?
Essay Topic 3
When Jeremy intervenes in the beating of the boy at dinner, who is he really thinking of? Is the young woman a symbol of anyone? What about the father or the waitress?
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)