|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Bernard's profession?
2. What did Harper end up doing by the end of the summer of Jeremy's eighteenth birthday?
3. What organization did June join when she was eighteen-years-old?
4. What kind of religious service is performed at June's burial?
5. As she lay ill in bed, who do we learn June is jealous of as regards Bernard?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Jeremy's method of spending time with his friends' parents.
2. Why did Jeremy not ever return to Notting Hill?
3. In what way did Sally react when she could hear her parents having one of their violent arguments?
4. How did Jeremy feel about leaving home for Oxford and being free to live on his own?
5. What was it about his friends' parents that interested Jeremy?
6. Why is Jeremy in such discomfort at a point in Part One when June is speaking to him of God and religion?
7. In Bernard's version of how he and June first met, he says that he could see no point in her job, therefore he did not notice her at all. In his world, she did not even exist until someone told him that she was beautiful. What might this say about Bernard's personality?
8. Although June and Bernard appear to be living separate lives in Part One, why does Bernard visit her and want news of her from Jeremy?
9. In Part One, we know that Jeremy is a bit obsessed with looking at a photograph of June and Bernard that June keeps in her bedroom in the nursing home. What are Jeremy's predominant thoughts when he views the photo?
10. When Bernard's grandson, Alexander, asks his cousin, Harry, at June's burial when his grandma will be coming back, how does Harry's answer nearly sum up June's and Bernard's relationship problems?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jeremy is obsessed with studying the photograph of June as a young woman. What makes the photograph so appealing to him? Why? How does the appeal of the photograph of June contrast with the time in history the photograph was taken?
Essay Topic 2
When Jeremy intervenes in the beating of the boy at dinner, who is he really thinking of? Is the young woman a symbol of anyone? What about the father or the waitress?
Essay Topic 3
As early as the Preface of the book, Jeremy states that the simplest way of restoring a lost parent is to become a parent yourself. What do you think he meant by this statement? How is it true or false? How does this statement reflect Jeremy's relationship with Sally?
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)