|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 1, what is it that Jeremy is thinking as he stares at June's photograph as a young newlywed?
2. According to Jeremy, looking after children is one way of what?
3. How often did Jenny and her brothers see their parents?
4. What does Bernard think of living in and reflecting upon the present?
5. During June's generation, what was the worst possible thing that could happen to a girl?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Jeremy not ever return to Notting Hill?
2. How does June feel that Bernard is so different from her?
3. What was it about his friends' parents that interested Jeremy?
4. In what way do Jeremy and June disagree on June's reference to her story of the black dogs in Part One of the story?
5. When did Jeremy, in the Prologue, feel that he really began to exist or to live?
6. What thoughts are probably going through Jeremy's mind as he watches June plants flower bulbs?
7. When Bernard and June were not talking about their own personal world while dating, what were their conversations about?
8. Why did Jeremy feel that Toby Langley did not appreciate his parents?
9. Why did June and Bernard separate, according to the Preface?
10. How does Jeremy feel about his friends' parents?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Jeremy feel he was used by June and Bernard while she was in the nursing home? How did June manipulate him into getting messages to Bernard and vice versa? How did Jeremy react to being caught in the middle? What realization might he come to about having parents and marriage?
Essay Topic 2
What problems do the three main characters in this story encounter? Do they manage to resolve them by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 3
After Junes' death, Bernard explains his feelings for her to Jeremy. If Bernard was in love with June, why could they not live together? Is it Bernard's or June's personality which got in the way of reconciliation? What was it about June, in particular, that kept the couple apart?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)