|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part One, what do we learn about Bernard's current political views?
2. What completely overshadowed Jeremy and Jenny's life until their first child was born?
3. What was June's basic view about life?
4. Besides Communism, what is one of June's other passions as a young girl?
5. What is happening in Jean and Harper's relationship?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did June and Bernard separate, according to the Preface?
2. In Bernard's version of how he and June first met, he says that he could see no point in her job, therefore he did not notice her at all. In his world, she did not even exist until someone told him that she was beautiful. What might this say about Bernard's personality?
3. How did Jeremy feel about leaving home for Oxford and being free to live on his own?
4. Does Jeremy feel like a surrogate parent to Sally?
5. Describe Jeremy's method of spending time with his friends' parents.
6. What did Jeremy's friends, such as Toby and Joe, think of Jeremy in terms of being an orphan and living on his own mostly?
7. In what way do Jeremy and June disagree on June's reference to her story of the black dogs in Part One of the story?
8. Why did Jeremy feel that Toby Langley did not appreciate his parents?
9. In Part One, we know that Jeremy is a bit obsessed with looking at a photograph of June and Bernard that June keeps in her bedroom in the nursing home. What are Jeremy's predominant thoughts when he views the photo?
10. In June's version of how she and Bernard first met, she actively pursues him, making sure that Bernard sees her when he is near his office. She even tries to make small talk with him. Why does June pursue Bernard when he does not even seem to notice her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When a tough girl in leather saves Bernard from nearly being killed by a gang of boys in Berlin, who did that girl represent? Why? Does Bernard believe in this symbol?
Essay Topic 2
One line in Part Four reads "The empty air, suffused with sunlight, seemed to contain a darkness just beyond the reach of vision". Explain this sentence as it relates to the story as a whole. Give examples, citing scenes from the book to support your explanation.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast June and Bernard's personalities and belief systems.
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)