Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children does Jeremy end up having?
2. What did Jeremy do for Sally?
3. To whom does Jeremy dedicate his memoir?
4. From what point of view is the novel written?
5. Bernard leaves the grave site to walk toward a yew tree in the cemetery. What does he do there?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Bernard and June are waiting at the train station to go into Arles, why do they walk into town instead of continuing to wait?
2. How does Jeremy feel about his friends' parents?
3. In June's version of how she and Bernard first met, she actively pursues him, making sure that Bernard sees her when he is near his office. She even tries to make small talk with him. Why does June pursue Bernard when he does not even seem to notice her?
4. Does Jeremy feel like a surrogate parent to Sally?
5. Why does Jeremy state that he naturally identifies with an abandoned child like Sally?
6. Why do June and Bernard decide they must live their separate lives, yet they do not divorce?
7. Describe Jeremy's method of spending time with his friends' parents.
8. Describe Jenny Tremaine as Jeremy first meets her.
9. When Jeremy and Bernard begin to discuss things that June told Jeremy for her memoir, what is Bernard's initial reaction?
10. When Jeremy and Jenny first speak to each other of their parents, what intrigues Jeremy?
Essay Topic 1
June's black dogs and Bernard's caterpillars are symbolic of their separate ways of viewing the world. How is that so?
Essay Topic 2
When the story that the Maire told about the black dogs is explained, how does this affect June? How does it explain the dogs she saw and her premonition about them?
Essay Topic 3
As early as the Preface of the book, Jeremy states that the simplest way of restoring a lost parent is to become a parent yourself. What do you think he meant by this statement? How is it true or false? How does this statement reflect Jeremy's relationship with Sally?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)