|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bernard tells people that June believes the dogs she encountered on the path were something other than just dogs. What were they?
2. What did Jean and Harper spend a lot of their time doing?
3. What is inferred in the last sentence of the Preface?
4. When Jeremy spoke with Bernard, how did he feel about June?
5. What were June and Bernard doing at the time the photograph in Part One was taken?
Short Essay Questions
1. In June's version of how she and Bernard first met, she actively pursues him, making sure that Bernard sees her when he is near his office. She even tries to make small talk with him. Why does June pursue Bernard when he does not even seem to notice her?
2. Describe Jeremy's method of spending time with his friends' parents.
3. Why is Jeremy in such discomfort at a point in Part One when June is speaking to him of God and religion?
4. Why did Jeremy not ever return to Notting Hill?
5. In what way did Sally react when she could hear her parents having one of their violent arguments?
6. Why did Jeremy feel that Toby Langley did not appreciate his parents?
7. During one of her conversations with Jeremy, June talks about her obsessive relationship with Bernard and their love for one another that could not work. How does June find peace with this?
8. How does Jeremy feel about his friends' parents?
9. In Bernard's version of how he and June first met, he says that he could see no point in her job, therefore he did not notice her at all. In his world, she did not even exist until someone told him that she was beautiful. What might this say about Bernard's personality?
10. Why does Jeremy state that he naturally identifies with an abandoned child like Sally?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain whether this novel is politically or religiously skewed. Has the author made his feelings on the subjects known by the end of the story? How?
Essay Topic 2
How does Jeremy feel he was used by June and Bernard while she was in the nursing home? How did June manipulate him into getting messages to Bernard and vice versa? How did Jeremy react to being caught in the middle? What realization might he come to about having parents and marriage?
Essay Topic 3
What problems do the three main characters in this story encounter? Do they manage to resolve them by the end of the book?
This section contains 1,037 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)