|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Bernard's profession?
2. In what way did June become a spiritual person?
3. In the Preface, what liberty does Jeremy report that he takes in his book?
4. In what way were June and Bernard alike in the beginning of their relationship?
5. What is odd about the story of how June and Bernard first met and began to date?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Jeremy and Jenny first speak to each other of their parents, what intrigues Jeremy?
2. Why did June so strenuously object to Bernard's wanting to continue their journey after leaving Mme. Auriac's hotel?
3. Why did Jeremy feel that Toby Langley did not appreciate his parents?
4. What thoughts are probably going through Jeremy's mind as he watches June plants flower bulbs?
5. Why do June and Bernard decide they must live their separate lives, yet they do not divorce?
6. In what instance does Jeremy believe June's spirit has intervened on his or Bernard's behalf?
7. Why did June and Bernard separate, according to the Preface?
8. How does Jeremy feel about his friends' parents?
9. Why is Jeremy afraid when he goes to open the bergerie after it had been closed up for two months?
10. What would be an apt description of the small family staying at the hotel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When a tough girl in leather saves Bernard from nearly being killed by a gang of boys in Berlin, who did that girl represent? Why? Does Bernard believe in this symbol?
Essay Topic 2
One line in Part Four reads "The empty air, suffused with sunlight, seemed to contain a darkness just beyond the reach of vision". Explain this sentence as it relates to the story as a whole. Give examples, citing scenes from the book to support your explanation.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Jeremy's great attraction to other people's parents. What was he looking for in them? Does he ever find it? If so, how?
This section contains 1,649 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)