|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jeremy's reaction to discovering what June and Bernard's obsession together had been?
2. What is the Dolmen de la Prunarede?
3. Who did Jeremy tend to become friendly with?
4. Bernard tells people that June believes the dogs she encountered on the path were something other than just dogs. What were they?
5. What disease was June dying of?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does June feel that Bernard is so different from her?
2. How does Jeremy feel about his friends' parents?
3. What did Jeremy's friends, such as Toby and Joe, think of Jeremy in terms of being an orphan and living on his own mostly?
4. When did Jeremy, in the Prologue, feel that he really began to exist or to live?
5. When Bernard's grandson, Alexander, asks his cousin, Harry, at June's burial when his grandma will be coming back, how does Harry's answer nearly sum up June's and Bernard's relationship problems?
6. When June tells Jeremy that she and Bernard were still obsessed with each other in a physical way, what is Jeremy's reaction?
7. What thoughts are probably going through Jeremy's mind as he watches June plants flower bulbs?
8. In Bernard's version of how he and June first met, he says that he could see no point in her job, therefore he did not notice her at all. In his world, she did not even exist until someone told him that she was beautiful. What might this say about Bernard's personality?
9. During one of her conversations with Jeremy, June talks about her obsessive relationship with Bernard and their love for one another that could not work. How does June find peace with this?
10. Why does Jeremy state that he naturally identifies with an abandoned child like Sally?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the last line in the book mean ("...as sleep rolls in they are receding from her, black stains in the gray of the dawn, fading as they move into the foothills of the mountains from where they will return to haunt us, somewhere in Europe, in another time")?
Essay Topic 2
What is it about June's story of the black dogs that might have someone believe it was her imagination? Point out phrases or words in the retelling of the scene to support your explanation.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Jeremy's great attraction to other people's parents. What was he looking for in them? Does he ever find it? If so, how?
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)