|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part Two, Bernard and Jeremy see a deserted watchtower over sand that conceal land mines. What do they see there?
(b) A child running.
(d) Nothing but memories.
2. Where did Jeremy and Jenny first meet?
(a) In France.
(b) In Brussels.
(c) In England.
(d) In Poland.
3. After Jenny and Jeremy visited Majdanek, how long was it before they spoke to one another?
(a) Two days.
(b) An hour.
(c) Five minutes.
(d) 24 hours.
4. What is it about a small boy dining at the hotel that touches Jeremy?
(a) The boy is very obedient to his family.
(b) Jeremy has a grown-up conversation with him.
(c) The boy's friendliless towards everyone.
(d) He feels the boy's loneliness.
5. Why was Jeremy unable to eat his breakfast at the convention where he met Jenny?
(a) At first sight of her at breakfast, he became lovesick and lost his appetite.
(b) He found her distant and annoying at the breakfast table.
(c) He could not bare to see Jenny at breakfast so he skipped it.
(d) He threw up every time he ran into Jenny so he stopped eating.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the cultural convention where Jeremy first met Jenny, why were the men "in a race" to get to Jenny first?
2. How long did Bernard stay in the Communist Party?
3. When Jeremy tries to get some words in edgewise during the conversation he is overhearing, what do the voices do?
4. In what way did Jeremy realize he had heard of Jenny's father, Bernard Tremaine?
5. When Jenny told Jeremy she considered him a friend and touched his hand, what happened next?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does it come to be that all of the hotel patrons end up eating dinner at the same time?
2. When Bernard finishes telling Jeremy the story in Part Two of how Bernard thought women and men think differently, and that women such as June think in magical terms, what is Jeremy thinking?
3. Why is Jeremy afraid when he goes to open the bergerie after it had been closed up for two months?
4. What would be an apt description of the small family staying at the hotel?
5. When Jeremy becomes part of a squabble with a father in the hotel, why does he feel it to be a drama played out for his behalf?
6. In Part Three when Jeremy and Bernard are at the airport, how does Bernard answer Jeremy's question about the black dogs?
7. When Bernard recalls the story in Part Two of him and June standing on the train platform and he asks June to give him a dragonfly, how does June know that Bernard wants to kill it?
8. When Jeremy and Jenny first speak to each other of their parents, what intrigues Jeremy?
9. When Jeremy and Jenny visit a concentration camp near Lublin, what does Jenny finally say to him after an hour of silence?
10. When Jeremy and Bernard begin to discuss things that June told Jeremy for her memoir, what is Bernard's initial reaction?
This section contains 1,152 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)