|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Jeremy hesitant to visit Majdanek?
(a) He was reluctant to spend the money.
(b) He did not understand why anyone would go there.
(c) He had been to Belsen once and that was enough for him.
(d) He did not have the time.
2. What does June tell Bernard shortly after they are married and Bernard kills an insect?
(a) That he is a brilliant man of science.
(b) She now hates him.
(c) That she is pregnant.
(d) She wants an annulment.
3. How did Jenny astound Jeremy within the second week of meeting him at the convention?
(a) She kissed him in front of all the men "in the race".
(b) She spit into his face for no reason.
(c) She told him she wanted to marry him one day.
(d) She asked him to go with her to Lublin.
4. What was Jeremy's reason for his five hour walk to the dolmen?
(a) To exercise in a spot he knew well.
(b) To allign himself with nature the way June and Bernard once did.
(c) To consider his relationship with Jenny.
(d) To recreate Bernard and June's love before their big quarrel began.
5. When the father of the small boy at dinner lights a cigarette, why does that give Jeremy a tiny bit of relief?
(a) The cigarette will not light.
(b) The man's hands are a little shaky.
(c) He knows the man will not bother him.
(d) He hopes he can borrow a cigarette from him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why won't Bernard make conversation with the taxi driver who takes him to the airport?
2. What time of day does Jeremy return to the bergerie?
3. How long did Bernard stay in the Communist Party?
4. What does Mme. Auriac give to Jeremy while waiting for the police to arrive?
5. In Part Three of the book, Jeremy asks Bernard to tell him the details of a story. Which story is that?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Bernard asks Jeremy to accompany him to Berlin, what makes him agree even though he is due to be in France?
2. When Bernard finishes telling Jeremy the story in Part Two of how Bernard thought women and men think differently, and that women such as June think in magical terms, what is Jeremy thinking?
3. Bernard tells Jeremy as they are walking toward the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin that he thought certain things about June for the first six months after she died. What does he tell Jeremy?
4. How does it come to be that all of the hotel patrons end up eating dinner at the same time?
5. What would be an apt description of the small family staying at the hotel?
6. What does Jeremy imagine Bernard would be telling him about June's perceived presence in the bergerie?
7. When Bernard recalls the story in Part Two of him and June standing on the train platform and he asks June to give him a dragonfly, how does June know that Bernard wants to kill it?
8. When Jeremy first meets Jenny at a convention, why is that he can't get to speak to her alone?
9. When Bernard and Jeremy get the key from Gunter to an apartment they will stay at in Berlin, how is Gunter right when he tells them it is not a good idea to go to the Wall?
10. How does the taxi driver's intervention in Bernard's speech during the cab ride affect him?
This section contains 1,233 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)