|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who ends up saving Bernard from the teenagers?
(a) An East German policeman.
(b) A young woman who yells at them.
(d) A West German policeman.
2. What was Jeremy's reason for his five hour walk to the dolmen?
(a) To allign himself with nature the way June and Bernard once did.
(b) To exercise in a spot he knew well.
(c) To consider his relationship with Jenny.
(d) To recreate Bernard and June's love before their big quarrel began.
3. When does Jeremy state he intended to originally end the memoir he is writing?
(a) When he realizes that June and Bernard would never reconcile.
(b) At the point where he marries Jenny.
(c) After his visit to a concentration camp.
(d) After he gets up to leave the dolmen, taking a different path than his in-laws did.
4. Who calls Jeremy late at night to give him news of Berlin?
5. What was Bernard's attitude towards the insect and, as he understands now, most things and June?
(a) Humorous and carefree.
(b) Unemotional and arrogant.
(c) Unresponsive and quiet.
(d) Loving and highly emotional.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Jeremy is eating dinner at the hotel, who are the other guests in the dining room with him?
2. Where did Jeremy and Jenny first meet?
3. In Part Two, Bernard and Jeremy see a deserted watchtower over sand that conceal land mines. What do they see there?
4. Where does Jeremy stop for a beer while walking through St. Maurice?
5. Why is Part Two titled, "Berlin"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jeremy imagine Bernard would be telling him about June's perceived presence in the bergerie?
2. When Jeremy becomes part of a squabble with a father in the hotel, why does he feel it to be a drama played out for his behalf?
3. When Bernard asks Jeremy to accompany him to Berlin, what makes him agree even though he is due to be in France?
4. When Jeremy first meets Jenny at a convention, why is that he can't get to speak to her alone?
5. When Bernard and June are waiting at the train station to go into Arles, why do they walk into town instead of continuing to wait?
6. Why is Jeremy afraid when he goes to open the bergerie after it had been closed up for two months?
7. What do the father and mother do to the boy at dinner?
8. When Jeremy and Jenny first speak to each other of their parents, what intrigues Jeremy?
9. Jeremy asks Bernard if he's ever had the feeling that he was tempting fate. What response does Bernard give to that?
10. When Bernard and Jeremy get the key from Gunter to an apartment they will stay at in Berlin, how is Gunter right when he tells them it is not a good idea to go to the Wall?
This section contains 1,097 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)