|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Bernard and Jeremy look out over the border and the Wall from an observation stand in Part Two, what one word does Jeremy have to say?
2. When Bernard finally thanks the person who saved him from the teenagers, how does he do it?
(a) He offers her money as a thank you gift.
(b) He kisses her hand in thanks.
(c) He thanks her without looking at her face.
(d) He only smiles.
3. When does Jeremy state he intended to originally end the memoir he is writing?
(a) After his visit to a concentration camp.
(b) After he gets up to leave the dolmen, taking a different path than his in-laws did.
(c) When he realizes that June and Bernard would never reconcile.
(d) At the point where he marries Jenny.
4. What is it about a small boy dining at the hotel that touches Jeremy?
(a) He feels the boy's loneliness.
(b) Jeremy has a grown-up conversation with him.
(c) The boy's friendliless towards everyone.
(d) The boy is very obedient to his family.
5. What are Jeremy and Bernard walking towards in Part Two to get to a better section of the Wall?
(a) Towards the media trucks.
(b) The Brandenburg Gate.
(c) Checkpoint Charlie.
(d) The East Berlin police headquarters.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bernard react to Jeremy's knowledge of where they had met the women who helped Bernard get to a taxi?
2. What does Jeremy do in Lublin that is so uncharacteristic of him?
3. Why does Bernard stare at girls on the street?
4. What is the name of the woman in the crowd who Bernard notes looks a little bit like June?
5. When Jeremy, in Part Two, tells Bernard what June spoke about in a personal way about the two of them, how does Bernard react?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Bernard finishes telling Jeremy the story in Part Two of how Bernard thought women and men think differently, and that women such as June think in magical terms, what is Jeremy thinking?
2. How does the taxi driver's intervention in Bernard's speech during the cab ride affect him?
3. Jeremy asks Bernard if he's ever had the feeling that he was tempting fate. What response does Bernard give to that?
4. What would be an apt description of the small family staying at the hotel?
5. What is it that Jeremy mulls over as having discouraged him from rushing to open the electrical cupboard to turn on the lights, and why?
6. When Jeremy is working outside the bergerie the day after he arrives, he is pruning peach trees. What do Bernard and June say to one another in his imagination?
7. In Part Three when Jeremy and Bernard are at the airport, how does Bernard answer Jeremy's question about the black dogs?
8. When Jeremy becomes part of a squabble with a father in the hotel, why does he feel it to be a drama played out for his behalf?
9. When Bernard asks Jeremy to accompany him to Berlin, what makes him agree even though he is due to be in France?
10. When Jeremy and Jenny first speak to each other of their parents, what intrigues Jeremy?
This section contains 1,148 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)