|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part Two, what does Bernard say he misses most about June?
(a) Her carefree spirit.
(b) Her laughter.
(c) Her ability to cope with stress.
(d) Her seriousness about life.
2. What time of day does Jeremy return to the bergerie?
(d) Early morning.
3. In Part Two, Bernard and Jeremy see a deserted watchtower over sand that conceal land mines. What do they see there?
(b) Nothing but memories.
(d) A child running.
4. How long did Bernard stay in the Communist Party?
(a) Ten years.
(b) All his life so far.
(c) Thirty years.
(d) Twenty years.
5. Bernard quotes some lines attributed to Isaiah Berlin to Jeremy. What are they about?
(a) The fatal quality of utopia.
(b) Freedom of choice for all people.
(c) The risks of Communism.
(d) Hitler's Nazi Party.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Jeremy hesitant to visit Majdanek?
2. In what way did Jeremy realize he had heard of Jenny's father, Bernard Tremaine?
3. While Jeremy is eating dinner at the hotel, who are the other guests in the dining room with him?
4. In Part Two when Bernard questions Jeremy about what June spoke of when they discussed the memoir, what does he ask?
5. What happens to the boy having dinner at the hotel?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Jeremy first meets Jenny at a convention, why is that he can't get to speak to her alone?
2. What does Jeremy imagine Bernard would be telling him about June's perceived presence in the bergerie?
3. What is it that Jeremy mulls over as having discouraged him from rushing to open the electrical cupboard to turn on the lights, and why?
4. Bernard tells Jeremy as they are walking toward the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin that he thought certain things about June for the first six months after she died. What does he tell Jeremy?
5. Bernard talks to Jeremy about he and June staying in a little town on their way home from Italy and on the way to the gorge. Bernard had been with only June for hours without any time alone. How does he feel when he goes out for a walk and is alone with his thoughts?
6. Why is Jeremy afraid when he goes to open the bergerie after it had been closed up for two months?
7. When Jeremy and Jenny first speak to each other of their parents, what intrigues Jeremy?
8. When Bernard and June are waiting at the train station to go into Arles, why do they walk into town instead of continuing to wait?
9. When Jeremy becomes part of a squabble with a father in the hotel, why does he feel it to be a drama played out for his behalf?
10. In Part Three when Jeremy and Bernard are at the airport, how does Bernard answer Jeremy's question about the black dogs?
This section contains 1,186 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)