|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Bernard's attitude towards the insect and, as he understands now, most things and June?
(a) Unresponsive and quiet.
(b) Unemotional and arrogant.
(c) Loving and highly emotional.
(d) Humorous and carefree.
2. Why was Jeremy hesitant to visit Majdanek?
(a) He had been to Belsen once and that was enough for him.
(b) He did not understand why anyone would go there.
(c) He was reluctant to spend the money.
(d) He did not have the time.
3. Where did Jeremy and Jenny first meet?
(a) In England.
(b) In Poland.
(c) In France.
(d) In Brussels.
4. What symbol do some of the teenage boys who harass Bernard have on their selves?
(a) Sickle and hammers.
(b) Peace signs.
(d) Skull and crossbones.
5. How does Bernard react to Jeremy's knowledge of where they had met the women who helped Bernard get to a taxi?
(a) He calls it a coincidence and changes the subject.
(b) He wants to track them down and get their phone numbers.
(c) With great anxiety and fear.
(d) Upset that he will not see them again.
Short Answer Questions
1. When a group of teenagers surround Bernard, what does he tell them?
2. In Part Two, what does Bernard say he misses most about June?
3. In what way did Jeremy realize he had heard of Jenny's father, Bernard Tremaine?
4. In Part Two when Bernard questions Jeremy about what June spoke of when they discussed the memoir, what does he ask?
5. Why was Jeremy unable to eat his breakfast at the convention where he met Jenny?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part Three when Jeremy and Bernard are at the airport, how does Bernard answer Jeremy's question about the black dogs?
2. When Jeremy and Jenny first speak to each other of their parents, what intrigues Jeremy?
3. What is it that Jeremy mulls over as having discouraged him from rushing to open the electrical cupboard to turn on the lights, and why?
4. When Bernard finishes telling Jeremy the story in Part Two of how Bernard thought women and men think differently, and that women such as June think in magical terms, what is Jeremy thinking?
5. Jeremy asks Bernard if he's ever had the feeling that he was tempting fate. What response does Bernard give to that?
6. What do the father and mother do to the boy at dinner?
7. When Jeremy becomes part of a squabble with a father in the hotel, why does he feel it to be a drama played out for his behalf?
8. When Bernard and Jeremy get the key from Gunter to an apartment they will stay at in Berlin, how is Gunter right when he tells them it is not a good idea to go to the Wall?
9. When Jeremy first meets Jenny at a convention, why is that he can't get to speak to her alone?
10. When Jeremy is working outside the bergerie the day after he arrives, he is pruning peach trees. What do Bernard and June say to one another in his imagination?
This section contains 1,106 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)