|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Bernard react to Jeremy's knowledge of where they had met the women who helped Bernard get to a taxi?
(a) He calls it a coincidence and changes the subject.
(b) With great anxiety and fear.
(c) He wants to track them down and get their phone numbers.
(d) Upset that he will not see them again.
2. Where did Jenny want to go while at the convention?
(a) To the movie theatre.
(b) To Krakow.
(d) To a concentration camp.
3. Why was Jeremy unable to eat his breakfast at the convention where he met Jenny?
(a) At first sight of her at breakfast, he became lovesick and lost his appetite.
(b) He threw up every time he ran into Jenny so he stopped eating.
(c) He found her distant and annoying at the breakfast table.
(d) He could not bare to see Jenny at breakfast so he skipped it.
4. When Jeremy speaks to the father eating dinner in the hotel, what grammatical error does he make?
(a) He calls the man a woman.
(b) He says "my" instead of "your" jaw.
(c) He leaves verbs out of his sentence.
(d) He speaks in the familiar rather than the more formal way.
5. Why does Bernard stare at girls on the street?
(a) He is looking for a trace of the old June.
(b) He is attracted to beautiful young women.
(c) He wonders if they could be converted to the Party.
(d) He thinks of his daughter, Jenny.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part Two, what does Bernard say he misses most about June?
2. When Bernard and Jeremy are at the Berlin Wall, why are some of the crowd watching and listening to them both?
3. When Bernard and Jeremy look out over the border and the Wall from an observation stand in Part Two, what one word does Jeremy have to say?
4. What are Jeremy and Bernard walking towards in Part Two to get to a better section of the Wall?
5. Why was Jeremy hesitant to visit Majdanek?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Bernard asks Jeremy to accompany him to Berlin, what makes him agree even though he is due to be in France?
2. When Bernard and June are waiting at the train station to go into Arles, why do they walk into town instead of continuing to wait?
3. Why is Jeremy afraid when he goes to open the bergerie after it had been closed up for two months?
4. What would be an apt description of the small family staying at the hotel?
5. In Part Three when Jeremy and Bernard are at the airport, how does Bernard answer Jeremy's question about the black dogs?
6. Bernard talks to Jeremy about he and June staying in a little town on their way home from Italy and on the way to the gorge. Bernard had been with only June for hours without any time alone. How does he feel when he goes out for a walk and is alone with his thoughts?
7. How does it come to be that all of the hotel patrons end up eating dinner at the same time?
8. What does Jeremy imagine Bernard would be telling him about June's perceived presence in the bergerie?
9. When Jeremy first meets Jenny at a convention, why is that he can't get to speak to her alone?
10. What is it that Jeremy mulls over as having discouraged him from rushing to open the electrical cupboard to turn on the lights, and why?
This section contains 1,287 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)