|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About how many people have gathered to watch the Berlin Wall fall in Part Two?
2. Where does Jeremy stop for a beer while walking through St. Maurice?
(a) In the woods.
(b) At a farm, La Prunarede.
(c) The hotel where June and Bernard honeymooned.
(d) In a bar in the next town over.
3. When the teenagers take their leave, how do they do it without losing face?
(a) They spit and curse at the crowd.
(b) One of them gives Bernard a punch in the stomach before leaving.
(c) They shoot a gun in the air.
(d) They walk away slowly and pretend they are bored.
4. After Jenny and Jeremy visited Majdanek, how long was it before they spoke to one another?
(a) Five minutes.
(b) An hour.
(c) 24 hours.
(d) Two days.
5. What is the name of the woman in the crowd who Bernard notes looks a little bit like June?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jeremy do with the father who had been eating dinner with his family?
2. How does Bernard refer to June's preoccupation with the spiritual world in Part Two?
3. What is the name of the Hotel des Tilleuls' owner?
4. What does Jeremy ask Bernard when he speaks of June and Bernard's love for one another?
5. After leaving Berlin and Bernard, where does Jeremy go?
Short Essay Questions
1. What would be an apt description of the small family staying at the hotel?
2. Bernard tells Jeremy as they are walking toward the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin that he thought certain things about June for the first six months after she died. What does he tell Jeremy?
3. When Jeremy first meets Jenny at a convention, why is that he can't get to speak to her alone?
4. Bernard talks to Jeremy about he and June staying in a little town on their way home from Italy and on the way to the gorge. Bernard had been with only June for hours without any time alone. How does he feel when he goes out for a walk and is alone with his thoughts?
5. When Jeremy and Jenny visit a concentration camp near Lublin, what does Jenny finally say to him after an hour of silence?
6. When Bernard and June are waiting at the train station to go into Arles, why do they walk into town instead of continuing to wait?
7. When Jeremy becomes part of a squabble with a father in the hotel, why does he feel it to be a drama played out for his behalf?
8. What do the father and mother do to the boy at dinner?
9. When Jeremy is working outside the bergerie the day after he arrives, he is pruning peach trees. What do Bernard and June say to one another in his imagination?
10. What does Jeremy imagine Bernard would be telling him about June's perceived presence in the bergerie?
This section contains 1,184 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)