|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Bernard finally thanks the person who saved him from the teenagers, how does he do it?
(a) He only smiles.
(b) He kisses her hand in thanks.
(c) He offers her money as a thank you gift.
(d) He thanks her without looking at her face.
2. Where did Jenny want to go while at the convention?
(a) To the movie theatre.
(c) To a concentration camp.
(d) To Krakow.
3. What does Mme. Auriac give the little boy who got hurt?
(b) A cold soda.
(c) Ice cream.
(d) An ice pack.
4. When Jeremy, in Part Two, tells Bernard what June spoke about in a personal way about the two of them, how does Bernard react?
(a) He turns on his heel and leaves Jeremy without a word.
(b) He is angry and says she got an important detail wrong.
(c) He begins to cry.
(d) He laughs and says it was just like her to say that.
5. Why was Jeremy unable to eat his breakfast at the convention where he met Jenny?
(a) He threw up every time he ran into Jenny so he stopped eating.
(b) At first sight of her at breakfast, he became lovesick and lost his appetite.
(c) He found her distant and annoying at the breakfast table.
(d) He could not bare to see Jenny at breakfast so he skipped it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jeremy do in Lublin that is so uncharacteristic of him?
2. How does Jenny react when Jeremy tells her that he thinks he is going mad with listening to these conversations in his head?
3. How does Bernard refer to June's preoccupation with the spiritual world in Part Two?
4. How does Bernard react to Jeremy's knowledge of where they had met the women who helped Bernard get to a taxi?
5. When Jeremy asks Bernard if he wants to sit and rest for a while as they make their way to a cafe, why does Bernard leave his side?
Short Essay Questions
1. Bernard tells Jeremy as they are walking toward the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin that he thought certain things about June for the first six months after she died. What does he tell Jeremy?
2. When Bernard recalls the story in Part Two of him and June standing on the train platform and he asks June to give him a dragonfly, how does June know that Bernard wants to kill it?
3. When Jeremy becomes part of a squabble with a father in the hotel, why does he feel it to be a drama played out for his behalf?
4. When Bernard calls Jeremy and Jenny to tell them the Berlin Wall is coming down, how do they react?
5. How does it come to be that all of the hotel patrons end up eating dinner at the same time?
6. What is it that Jeremy mulls over as having discouraged him from rushing to open the electrical cupboard to turn on the lights, and why?
7. Why is Jeremy afraid when he goes to open the bergerie after it had been closed up for two months?
8. When Jeremy and Bernard begin to discuss things that June told Jeremy for her memoir, what is Bernard's initial reaction?
9. In Part Three when Jeremy and Bernard are at the airport, how does Bernard answer Jeremy's question about the black dogs?
10. When Bernard finishes telling Jeremy the story in Part Two of how Bernard thought women and men think differently, and that women such as June think in magical terms, what is Jeremy thinking?
This section contains 1,271 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)