|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Bernard finally thanks the person who saved him from the teenagers, how does he do it?
(a) He kisses her hand in thanks.
(b) He only smiles.
(c) He offers her money as a thank you gift.
(d) He thanks her without looking at her face.
2. Jeremy believes the man in the crowd holding a Communist flag is of a certain nationality. What is it?
3. Where does Jeremy realize he and Bernard had seen the woman and her friend who helps them to a taxi?
(a) In London years ago.
(b) As part of the group of teenagers.
(c) At the Brandenburg Gate.
(d) At the Dolmen.
4. What does Jeremy do with the father who had been eating dinner with his family?
(a) He only stares at him.
(b) He has a pleasant conversation about the dolmen with him.
(c) He punches and kicks him.
(d) He gives him a lecture about children.
5. What does Jeremy ask Bernard when he speaks of June and Bernard's love for one another?
(a) How could you waste so much time?
(b) Why would you never get a divorce and end it?
(c) How many other lovers did you have?
(d) Did you know Jenny hated you both?
Short Answer Questions
1. What feeling does Jeremy get when he enters the family chalet?
2. Bernard quotes some lines attributed to Isaiah Berlin to Jeremy. What are they about?
3. What are Jeremy and Bernard walking towards in Part Two to get to a better section of the Wall?
4. When do Jenny and Jeremy end up getting married?
5. When Jenny told Jeremy she considered him a friend and touched his hand, what happened next?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is it that Jeremy mulls over as having discouraged him from rushing to open the electrical cupboard to turn on the lights, and why?
2. Jeremy asks Bernard if he's ever had the feeling that he was tempting fate. What response does Bernard give to that?
3. When Jeremy and Bernard begin to discuss things that June told Jeremy for her memoir, what is Bernard's initial reaction?
4. Bernard tells Jeremy as they are walking toward the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin that he thought certain things about June for the first six months after she died. What does he tell Jeremy?
5. When Jeremy becomes part of a squabble with a father in the hotel, why does he feel it to be a drama played out for his behalf?
6. What does Jeremy imagine Bernard would be telling him about June's perceived presence in the bergerie?
7. When Jeremy is working outside the bergerie the day after he arrives, he is pruning peach trees. What do Bernard and June say to one another in his imagination?
8. When Bernard and Jeremy get the key from Gunter to an apartment they will stay at in Berlin, how is Gunter right when he tells them it is not a good idea to go to the Wall?
9. When Bernard calls Jeremy and Jenny to tell them the Berlin Wall is coming down, how do they react?
10. When Jeremy first meets Jenny at a convention, why is that he can't get to speak to her alone?
This section contains 1,145 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)