|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does June tell Bernard shortly after they are married and Bernard kills an insect?
(a) She wants an annulment.
(b) That she is pregnant.
(c) That he is a brilliant man of science.
(d) She now hates him.
2. What does Jeremy discover on the switchboard cover in the bergerie?
(a) A cockroach.
(b) A black widow spider.
(c) A scorpion.
(d) A snake.
3. What happens to the boy having dinner at the hotel?
(a) He faints.
(b) He is attacked by dogs.
(c) He is beaten by his father.
(d) He throws up his dinner.
4. What happens to Bernard when a group of teenagers approach him at the Berlin Wall?
(a) He is beaten to death.
(b) He gets kicked in the shin and falls down.
(c) He is called names and becomes embarassed.
(d) He is dragged through the streets by his legs.
5. What were Bernard's feelings about June's commitment to the Communist Party after the incident with the insect in Part Two?
(a) That she had only pretended to believe in it all along.
(b) That she was more committed than he was.
(c) That she had her own strange ideas and might not stick with it.
(d) He saw her leaning toward the defunct Nazi Party.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mme. Auriac give the little boy who got hurt?
2. Who ends up saving Bernard from the teenagers?
3. Jeremy believes the man in the crowd holding a Communist flag is of a certain nationality. What is it?
4. When Bernard and Jeremy are at the Berlin Wall, why are some of the crowd watching and listening to them both?
5. When does Jeremy state he intended to originally end the memoir he is writing?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Jeremy and Bernard share a cab to the airport, what do they talk about?
2. When Bernard and June are waiting at the train station to go into Arles, why do they walk into town instead of continuing to wait?
3. What would be an apt description of the small family staying at the hotel?
4. When Jeremy and Bernard begin to discuss things that June told Jeremy for her memoir, what is Bernard's initial reaction?
5. Bernard tells Jeremy as they are walking toward the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin that he thought certain things about June for the first six months after she died. What does he tell Jeremy?
6. When Bernard finishes telling Jeremy the story in Part Two of how Bernard thought women and men think differently, and that women such as June think in magical terms, what is Jeremy thinking?
7. When Jeremy first meets Jenny at a convention, why is that he can't get to speak to her alone?
8. When Bernard calls Jeremy and Jenny to tell them the Berlin Wall is coming down, how do they react?
9. What is it that Jeremy mulls over as having discouraged him from rushing to open the electrical cupboard to turn on the lights, and why?
10. Jeremy asks Bernard if he's ever had the feeling that he was tempting fate. What response does Bernard give to that?
This section contains 1,171 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)