|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Bernard stare at girls on the street?
(a) He is looking for a trace of the old June.
(b) He wonders if they could be converted to the Party.
(c) He is attracted to beautiful young women.
(d) He thinks of his daughter, Jenny.
2. When Jeremy tries to get some words in edgewise during the conversation he is overhearing, what do the voices do?
(a) They are silent for a few moments.
(b) They completely ignore him.
(c) There is violent yelling.
(d) They stop completely.
3. In Part Three of the book, Jeremy asks Bernard to tell him the details of a story. Which story is that?
(a) The truth behind Bernard's injured leg.
(b) How June acted in the Hotel des Tilleuls.
(c) The story of Hitler's invasion of France.
(d) The Maire's story about the dogs.
4. What deformity did Jenny have at birth?
(a) A cleft mouth.
(b) A dent in her forehead.
(c) One toe missing on her right foot.
(d) A sixth finger on one hand.
5. Where do Jeremy and the father in the hotel restaurant go after speaking?
(a) To the kitchen.
(d) Back to their tables.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were Bernard's feelings about June's commitment to the Communist Party after the incident with the insect in Part Two?
2. When Bernard talks about June's wanting to living apart from him in Part Two, what does he refer to himself as?
3. What time of day does Jeremy return to the bergerie?
4. What was Bernard's attitude towards the insect and, as he understands now, most things and June?
5. Where does Jeremy stop for a beer while walking through St. Maurice?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Bernard recalls the story in Part Two of him and June standing on the train platform and he asks June to give him a dragonfly, how does June know that Bernard wants to kill it?
2. Bernard tells Jeremy as they are walking toward the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin that he thought certain things about June for the first six months after she died. What does he tell Jeremy?
3. When Bernard and Jeremy get the key from Gunter to an apartment they will stay at in Berlin, how is Gunter right when he tells them it is not a good idea to go to the Wall?
4. When Bernard finishes telling Jeremy the story in Part Two of how Bernard thought women and men think differently, and that women such as June think in magical terms, what is Jeremy thinking?
5. What is it that Jeremy mulls over as having discouraged him from rushing to open the electrical cupboard to turn on the lights, and why?
6. When Jeremy and Jenny visit a concentration camp near Lublin, what does Jenny finally say to him after an hour of silence?
7. When Bernard asks Jeremy to accompany him to Berlin, what makes him agree even though he is due to be in France?
8. Why is Jeremy afraid when he goes to open the bergerie after it had been closed up for two months?
9. Jeremy asks Bernard if he's ever had the feeling that he was tempting fate. What response does Bernard give to that?
10. When Jeremy is working outside the bergerie the day after he arrives, he is pruning peach trees. What do Bernard and June say to one another in his imagination?
This section contains 1,145 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)