|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Jeremy asks Bernard if he wants to sit and rest for a while as they make their way to a cafe, why does Bernard leave his side?
(a) To make a speech about Communism's fall to small crowd.
(b) To chat with the American soldiers.
(c) To hurry towards the cafe on his own.
(d) To go towards a man with a Communist flag who is holding up traffic.
2. What does Jeremy discover on the switchboard cover in the bergerie?
(a) A scorpion.
(b) A black widow spider.
(c) A snake.
(d) A cockroach.
3. What does June tell Bernard shortly after they are married and Bernard kills an insect?
(a) That he is a brilliant man of science.
(b) She wants an annulment.
(c) That she is pregnant.
(d) She now hates him.
4. What are Jeremy and Bernard walking towards in Part Two to get to a better section of the Wall?
(a) Checkpoint Charlie.
(b) The East Berlin police headquarters.
(c) The Brandenburg Gate.
(d) Towards the media trucks.
5. When does Jeremy state he intended to originally end the memoir he is writing?
(a) At the point where he marries Jenny.
(b) When he realizes that June and Bernard would never reconcile.
(c) After his visit to a concentration camp.
(d) After he gets up to leave the dolmen, taking a different path than his in-laws did.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Jeremy speaks to the father eating dinner in the hotel, what grammatical error does he make?
2. Jeremy hears a running conversation in his head while in the bergerie, alone. Who is talking in his head?
3. After Jenny and Jeremy visited Majdanek, how long was it before they spoke to one another?
4. What is the name of the woman in the crowd who Bernard notes looks a little bit like June?
5. Where did Jenny want to go while at the convention?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Jeremy and Bernard begin to discuss things that June told Jeremy for her memoir, what is Bernard's initial reaction?
2. In Part Three when Jeremy and Bernard are at the airport, how does Bernard answer Jeremy's question about the black dogs?
3. When Bernard finishes telling Jeremy the story in Part Two of how Bernard thought women and men think differently, and that women such as June think in magical terms, what is Jeremy thinking?
4. When Bernard recalls the story in Part Two of him and June standing on the train platform and he asks June to give him a dragonfly, how does June know that Bernard wants to kill it?
5. Jeremy asks Bernard if he's ever had the feeling that he was tempting fate. What response does Bernard give to that?
6. When Bernard asks Jeremy to accompany him to Berlin, what makes him agree even though he is due to be in France?
7. How does the taxi driver's intervention in Bernard's speech during the cab ride affect him?
8. When Jeremy and Jenny first speak to each other of their parents, what intrigues Jeremy?
9. When Jeremy and Bernard share a cab to the airport, what do they talk about?
10. Bernard tells Jeremy as they are walking toward the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin that he thought certain things about June for the first six months after she died. What does he tell Jeremy?
This section contains 1,102 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)