|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who holds the little boy who fell to the floor?
(a) Mme. Auriac.
(b) The waitress.
(c) The woman from Paris.
(d) The cook.
2. Jeremy hears a running conversation in his head while in the bergerie, alone. Who is talking in his head?
(a) Jenny and he.
(b) June and Bernard.
(c) Sally and Jean.
(d) June and Jenny.
3. When Jeremy asks Bernard if he wants to sit and rest for a while as they make their way to a cafe, why does Bernard leave his side?
(a) To hurry towards the cafe on his own.
(b) To make a speech about Communism's fall to small crowd.
(c) To chat with the American soldiers.
(d) To go towards a man with a Communist flag who is holding up traffic.
4. Why is Part Two titled, "Berlin"?
(a) Jeremy and Bernard go to see the Berlin wall come down.
(b) June died in Berlin.
(c) Bernard talks mostly about how communism began in Berlin.
(d) Jeremy focuses on his first meeting with Jenny in Berlin.
5. What symbol do some of the teenage boys who harass Bernard have on their selves?
(b) Peace signs.
(c) Skull and crossbones.
(d) Sickle and hammers.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Bernard and Jeremy look out over the border and the Wall from an observation stand in Part Two, what one word does Jeremy have to say?
2. What does Jeremy discover on the switchboard cover in the bergerie?
3. What does June tell Bernard shortly after they are married and Bernard kills an insect?
4. What does Jeremy ask Bernard when he speaks of June and Bernard's love for one another?
5. How does Jenny react when Jeremy tells her that he thinks he is going mad with listening to these conversations in his head?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Jeremy and Jenny visit a concentration camp near Lublin, what does Jenny finally say to him after an hour of silence?
2. When Jeremy and Bernard share a cab to the airport, what do they talk about?
3. Bernard tells Jeremy as they are walking toward the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin that he thought certain things about June for the first six months after she died. What does he tell Jeremy?
4. When Jeremy first meets Jenny at a convention, why is that he can't get to speak to her alone?
5. What does Jeremy imagine Bernard would be telling him about June's perceived presence in the bergerie?
6. When Bernard finishes telling Jeremy the story in Part Two of how Bernard thought women and men think differently, and that women such as June think in magical terms, what is Jeremy thinking?
7. When Bernard recalls the story in Part Two of him and June standing on the train platform and he asks June to give him a dragonfly, how does June know that Bernard wants to kill it?
8. Why is Jeremy afraid when he goes to open the bergerie after it had been closed up for two months?
9. How does it come to be that all of the hotel patrons end up eating dinner at the same time?
10. How does the taxi driver's intervention in Bernard's speech during the cab ride affect him?
This section contains 1,162 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)