|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jeremy discover on the switchboard cover in the bergerie?
(a) A snake.
(b) A cockroach.
(c) A black widow spider.
(d) A scorpion.
2. What does June tell Bernard shortly after they are married and Bernard kills an insect?
(a) That she is pregnant.
(b) She wants an annulment.
(c) That he is a brilliant man of science.
(d) She now hates him.
3. After leaving Berlin and Bernard, where does Jeremy go?
(a) To Potsdmerplatz.
(b) To the bergerie.
(c) To the Hotel Wisla.
(d) Home to Jenny and the chidren.
4. Bernard quotes some lines attributed to Isaiah Berlin to Jeremy. What are they about?
(a) Hitler's Nazi Party.
(b) The risks of Communism.
(c) Freedom of choice for all people.
(d) The fatal quality of utopia.
5. What time of day does Jeremy return to the bergerie?
(c) Early morning.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Bernard and Jeremy look out over the border and the Wall from an observation stand in Part Two, what one word does Jeremy have to say?
2. Where did Jenny want to go while at the convention?
3. Where does Jeremy stop for a beer while walking through St. Maurice?
4. Why does Bernard stare at girls on the street?
5. In Part Two, what does Bernard say he misses most about June?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Bernard asks Jeremy to accompany him to Berlin, what makes him agree even though he is due to be in France?
2. What do the father and mother do to the boy at dinner?
3. When Jeremy and Bernard begin to discuss things that June told Jeremy for her memoir, what is Bernard's initial reaction?
4. When Bernard and Jeremy get the key from Gunter to an apartment they will stay at in Berlin, how is Gunter right when he tells them it is not a good idea to go to the Wall?
5. Bernard talks to Jeremy about he and June staying in a little town on their way home from Italy and on the way to the gorge. Bernard had been with only June for hours without any time alone. How does he feel when he goes out for a walk and is alone with his thoughts?
6. When Jeremy and Jenny visit a concentration camp near Lublin, what does Jenny finally say to him after an hour of silence?
7. What does Jeremy imagine Bernard would be telling him about June's perceived presence in the bergerie?
8. When Jeremy becomes part of a squabble with a father in the hotel, why does he feel it to be a drama played out for his behalf?
9. When Jeremy first meets Jenny at a convention, why is that he can't get to speak to her alone?
10. How does the taxi driver's intervention in Bernard's speech during the cab ride affect him?
This section contains 1,086 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)