|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Jeremy's reason for his five hour walk to the dolmen?
(a) To exercise in a spot he knew well.
(b) To recreate Bernard and June's love before their big quarrel began.
(c) To consider his relationship with Jenny.
(d) To allign himself with nature the way June and Bernard once did.
2. What does Jeremy do with the father who had been eating dinner with his family?
(a) He has a pleasant conversation about the dolmen with him.
(b) He gives him a lecture about children.
(c) He punches and kicks him.
(d) He only stares at him.
3. Who ends up saving Bernard from the teenagers?
(a) A young woman who yells at them.
(b) An East German policeman.
(d) A West German policeman.
4. Who holds the little boy who fell to the floor?
(a) Mme. Auriac.
(b) The woman from Paris.
(c) The waitress.
(d) The cook.
5. What feeling does Jeremy get when he enters the family chalet?
(a) He is depressed.
(b) He feels uneasy, as though he is being watched.
(c) He is filled with peace at being there.
(d) He is overcome with exhaustion.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jeremy ask Bernard when he speaks of June and Bernard's love for one another?
2. At the cultural convention where Jeremy first met Jenny, why were the men "in a race" to get to Jenny first?
3. Jeremy hears a running conversation in his head while in the bergerie, alone. Who is talking in his head?
4. What does June tell Bernard shortly after they are married and Bernard kills an insect?
5. While Jeremy is eating dinner at the hotel, who are the other guests in the dining room with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does it come to be that all of the hotel patrons end up eating dinner at the same time?
2. What do the father and mother do to the boy at dinner?
3. When Bernard finishes telling Jeremy the story in Part Two of how Bernard thought women and men think differently, and that women such as June think in magical terms, what is Jeremy thinking?
4. When Bernard asks Jeremy to accompany him to Berlin, what makes him agree even though he is due to be in France?
5. When Bernard and June are waiting at the train station to go into Arles, why do they walk into town instead of continuing to wait?
6. Bernard tells Jeremy as they are walking toward the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin that he thought certain things about June for the first six months after she died. What does he tell Jeremy?
7. Why is Jeremy afraid when he goes to open the bergerie after it had been closed up for two months?
8. When Jeremy first meets Jenny at a convention, why is that he can't get to speak to her alone?
9. What is it that Jeremy mulls over as having discouraged him from rushing to open the electrical cupboard to turn on the lights, and why?
10. In Part Three when Jeremy and Bernard are at the airport, how does Bernard answer Jeremy's question about the black dogs?
This section contains 1,223 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)