|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why won't Bernard make conversation with the taxi driver who takes him to the airport?
(a) Bernard does not want to pay the fare.
(b) He is too "real" and "common" for Bernard to deal with.
(c) He does not speak French.
(d) Bernard is afraid the argument will get violent.
2. After Jenny and Jeremy visited Majdanek, how long was it before they spoke to one another?
(a) Two days.
(b) An hour.
(c) Five minutes.
(d) 24 hours.
3. How does Bernard react to Jeremy's knowledge of where they had met the women who helped Bernard get to a taxi?
(a) He wants to track them down and get their phone numbers.
(b) With great anxiety and fear.
(c) Upset that he will not see them again.
(d) He calls it a coincidence and changes the subject.
4. When a group of teenagers surround Bernard, what does he tell them?
(a) To take pity on him.
(b) To march with the crowd.
(c) To explain their tatoos.
(d) To take off and leave.
5. What does Mme. Auriac give the little boy who got hurt?
(a) Ice cream.
(b) A cold soda.
(d) An ice pack.
Short Answer Questions
1. About how many people have gathered to watch the Berlin Wall fall in Part Two?
2. When Bernard and Jeremy look out over the border and the Wall from an observation stand in Part Two, what one word does Jeremy have to say?
3. When the teenagers take their leave, how do they do it without losing face?
4. When Jeremy tries to get some words in edgewise during the conversation he is overhearing, what do the voices do?
5. Who ends up saving Bernard from the teenagers?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Bernard and Jeremy get the key from Gunter to an apartment they will stay at in Berlin, how is Gunter right when he tells them it is not a good idea to go to the Wall?
2. Jeremy asks Bernard if he's ever had the feeling that he was tempting fate. What response does Bernard give to that?
3. When Bernard asks Jeremy to accompany him to Berlin, what makes him agree even though he is due to be in France?
4. What do the father and mother do to the boy at dinner?
5. When Jeremy and Jenny first speak to each other of their parents, what intrigues Jeremy?
6. When Jeremy becomes part of a squabble with a father in the hotel, why does he feel it to be a drama played out for his behalf?
7. When Bernard finishes telling Jeremy the story in Part Two of how Bernard thought women and men think differently, and that women such as June think in magical terms, what is Jeremy thinking?
8. When Jeremy is working outside the bergerie the day after he arrives, he is pruning peach trees. What do Bernard and June say to one another in his imagination?
9. When Bernard calls Jeremy and Jenny to tell them the Berlin Wall is coming down, how do they react?
10. When Bernard recalls the story in Part Two of him and June standing on the train platform and he asks June to give him a dragonfly, how does June know that Bernard wants to kill it?
This section contains 1,076 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)