|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Upon Jeremy's return to the hotel after his walk to the dolmen, what does he overhear in the kitchen?
(a) A love spat between a husband and wife.
(b) A drunken brawl.
(c) Talk of the lack of food for the evening's dinner.
(d) The owners arguing over him.
2. In Part Two, what does Bernard say he misses most about June?
(a) Her carefree spirit.
(b) Her seriousness about life.
(c) Her laughter.
(d) Her ability to cope with stress.
3. What symbol do some of the teenage boys who harass Bernard have on their selves?
(b) Sickle and hammers.
(c) Skull and crossbones.
(d) Peace signs.
4. In Part Two when Bernard questions Jeremy about what June spoke of when they discussed the memoir, what does he ask?
(a) How she felt about dying alone.
(b) If she spoke about their lives in a very personal way.
(c) Whether religion was something she really believed in.
(d) If she had turned back to Communism in the end.
5. What deformity did Jenny have at birth?
(a) A cleft mouth.
(b) A dent in her forehead.
(c) A sixth finger on one hand.
(d) One toe missing on her right foot.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the Hotel des Tilleuls' owner?
2. What does Mme. Auriac give the little boy who got hurt?
3. What does Jeremy discover on the switchboard cover in the bergerie?
4. What feeling does Jeremy get when he enters the family chalet?
5. After Jenny and Jeremy visited Majdanek, how long was it before they spoke to one another?
Short Essay Questions
1. Jeremy asks Bernard if he's ever had the feeling that he was tempting fate. What response does Bernard give to that?
2. Why is Jeremy afraid when he goes to open the bergerie after it had been closed up for two months?
3. When Jeremy becomes part of a squabble with a father in the hotel, why does he feel it to be a drama played out for his behalf?
4. When Jeremy and Bernard begin to discuss things that June told Jeremy for her memoir, what is Bernard's initial reaction?
5. What would be an apt description of the small family staying at the hotel?
6. When Jeremy and Jenny visit a concentration camp near Lublin, what does Jenny finally say to him after an hour of silence?
7. In Part Three when Jeremy and Bernard are at the airport, how does Bernard answer Jeremy's question about the black dogs?
8. Bernard talks to Jeremy about he and June staying in a little town on their way home from Italy and on the way to the gorge. Bernard had been with only June for hours without any time alone. How does he feel when he goes out for a walk and is alone with his thoughts?
9. When Jeremy first meets Jenny at a convention, why is that he can't get to speak to her alone?
10. When Jeremy and Jenny first speak to each other of their parents, what intrigues Jeremy?
This section contains 1,061 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)