|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the cultural convention where Jeremy first met Jenny, why were the men "in a race" to get to Jenny first?
(a) She was pretty, extremely fun to be with, and outgoing.
(b) She flirted with all of the men there.
(c) She was beautiful, the only woman there, and very distant towards them.
(d) She was the prettiest woman out of the five other women there.
2. When Jeremy asks Bernard if he wants to sit and rest for a while as they make their way to a cafe, why does Bernard leave his side?
(a) To hurry towards the cafe on his own.
(b) To chat with the American soldiers.
(c) To make a speech about Communism's fall to small crowd.
(d) To go towards a man with a Communist flag who is holding up traffic.
3. What time of day does Jeremy return to the bergerie?
(b) Early morning.
4. What feeling does Jeremy get when he enters the family chalet?
(a) He is filled with peace at being there.
(b) He is depressed.
(c) He feels uneasy, as though he is being watched.
(d) He is overcome with exhaustion.
5. What is the name of the woman in the crowd who Bernard notes looks a little bit like June?
Short Answer Questions
1. What were Bernard's feelings about June's commitment to the Communist Party after the incident with the insect in Part Two?
2. What are Jeremy and Bernard walking towards in Part Two to get to a better section of the Wall?
3. When Bernard finally thanks the person who saved him from the teenagers, how does he do it?
4. Where do Jeremy and the father in the hotel restaurant go after speaking?
5. What does Jeremy do with the father who had been eating dinner with his family?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Jeremy becomes part of a squabble with a father in the hotel, why does he feel it to be a drama played out for his behalf?
2. When Jeremy and Jenny visit a concentration camp near Lublin, what does Jenny finally say to him after an hour of silence?
3. When Jeremy and Bernard share a cab to the airport, what do they talk about?
4. When Bernard finishes telling Jeremy the story in Part Two of how Bernard thought women and men think differently, and that women such as June think in magical terms, what is Jeremy thinking?
5. Why is Jeremy afraid when he goes to open the bergerie after it had been closed up for two months?
6. When Jeremy and Jenny first speak to each other of their parents, what intrigues Jeremy?
7. When Bernard calls Jeremy and Jenny to tell them the Berlin Wall is coming down, how do they react?
8. When Bernard recalls the story in Part Two of him and June standing on the train platform and he asks June to give him a dragonfly, how does June know that Bernard wants to kill it?
9. When Jeremy and Bernard begin to discuss things that June told Jeremy for her memoir, what is Bernard's initial reaction?
10. When Jeremy is working outside the bergerie the day after he arrives, he is pruning peach trees. What do Bernard and June say to one another in his imagination?
This section contains 1,128 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)