|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why won't Bernard make conversation with the taxi driver who takes him to the airport?
(a) He does not speak French.
(b) Bernard does not want to pay the fare.
(c) Bernard is afraid the argument will get violent.
(d) He is too "real" and "common" for Bernard to deal with.
2. What does Mme. Auriac give the little boy who got hurt?
(a) An ice pack.
(c) A cold soda.
(d) Ice cream.
3. When Bernard finally thanks the person who saved him from the teenagers, how does he do it?
(a) He offers her money as a thank you gift.
(b) He kisses her hand in thanks.
(c) He only smiles.
(d) He thanks her without looking at her face.
4. In what way did Jeremy realize he had heard of Jenny's father, Bernard Tremaine?
(a) From a chance meeting at an airport.
(b) From television talk shows.
(c) He had read his autobiography.
(d) From radio programs and his biography of Nasser.
5. When do Jenny and Jeremy end up getting married?
(a) They never actually marry.
(b) Ten months after they first meet.
(c) The day after their first excursion together.
(d) Three years after meeting.
Short Answer Questions
1. What symbol do some of the teenage boys who harass Bernard have on their selves?
2. How does Jenny react when Jeremy tells her that he thinks he is going mad with listening to these conversations in his head?
3. What did the sign posted outside of Majdanek's main entrance not mention?
4. What does June tell Bernard shortly after they are married and Bernard kills an insect?
5. What does Jenny tell Jeremy when he asks why she mentioned black dogs earlier?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Jeremy becomes part of a squabble with a father in the hotel, why does he feel it to be a drama played out for his behalf?
2. When Bernard calls Jeremy and Jenny to tell them the Berlin Wall is coming down, how do they react?
3. Why is Jeremy afraid when he goes to open the bergerie after it had been closed up for two months?
4. Jeremy asks Bernard if he's ever had the feeling that he was tempting fate. What response does Bernard give to that?
5. What do the father and mother do to the boy at dinner?
6. When Bernard recalls the story in Part Two of him and June standing on the train platform and he asks June to give him a dragonfly, how does June know that Bernard wants to kill it?
7. When Jeremy and Bernard share a cab to the airport, what do they talk about?
8. When Jeremy and Jenny visit a concentration camp near Lublin, what does Jenny finally say to him after an hour of silence?
9. When Bernard finishes telling Jeremy the story in Part Two of how Bernard thought women and men think differently, and that women such as June think in magical terms, what is Jeremy thinking?
10. When Bernard asks Jeremy to accompany him to Berlin, what makes him agree even though he is due to be in France?
This section contains 1,085 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)