|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of religious service is performed at June's burial?
2. What does Bernard look like?
(a) He is bald with a goatee.
(b) He is large with a generous face.
(c) He is scrawny and plain looking.
(d) He is obese and bald.
3. What is odd about the story of how June and Bernard first met and began to date?
(a) They met on a blind date and disliked each other.
(b) June "stole" Bernard from another woman.
(c) They each have a different story about it.
(d) They met by accident.
4. What is it about Jeremy that reminds June of Bernard?
(a) His dryness and distance.
(b) His sense of humor.
(c) His looks.
(d) His warmth and kindness.
5. Why did Jeremy work so hard at studying for his A levels?
(a) He wanted to go to university and leave home.
(b) To find the right girl at a new school.
(c) To attract an older woman.
(d) He wanted to prove how smart he reallly was.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bernard think of living in and reflecting upon the present?
2. What was June's job when she first encountered Bernard?
3. Why did Jeremy persist in his friendship with his in-laws?
4. What is the dream that has haunted June for forty years?
5. How does Jeremy react to hearing June talk like a Californian professional or a dazed hippie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jeremy state that he naturally identifies with an abandoned child like Sally?
2. How does June feel that Bernard is so different from her?
3. When June tells Jeremy that she and Bernard were still obsessed with each other in a physical way, what is Jeremy's reaction?
4. Why did Jeremy feel that Toby Langley did not appreciate his parents?
5. In what way did Sally react when she could hear her parents having one of their violent arguments?
6. When Bernard's grandson, Alexander, asks his cousin, Harry, at June's burial when his grandma will be coming back, how does Harry's answer nearly sum up June's and Bernard's relationship problems?
7. When did Jeremy, in the Prologue, feel that he really began to exist or to live?
8. Does Jeremy feel like a surrogate parent to Sally?
9. How did Jeremy feel about leaving home for Oxford and being free to live on his own?
10. How does Jeremy feel about his friends' parents?
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)