|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Bernard entertain in restaurants?
(a) He was a public figure.
(b) He loved to eat.
(c) He was a chef.
(d) He was a television personality.
2. What does June believe she discovered after the incident with the dogs?
(a) The meaning of life.
(b) Her true self.
(d) The perfect animals.
3. What is the Dolmen de la Prunarede?
(a) An ancient burial site that became a family site.
(b) Jeremy's home town.
(c) Jenny's ideal place to live.
(d) The place where June and Bernard married.
4. What was June's basic view about life?
(a) Life was random.
(b) God had no hand in it.
(c) It was best not to examine it.
(d) It had a purpose.
5. Why did Jeremy persist in his friendship with his in-laws?
(a) He loved them.
(b) Due to a lifetime habit of befriending parental figures.
(c) They were so alike in all ways.
(d) They were constantly at his home.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did June discover about herself the morning after the dolmen?
2. What did Jeremy lose due to a road accident?
3. Bernard tells people that June believes the dogs she encountered on the path were something other than just dogs. What were they?
4. What was June's job when she first encountered Bernard?
5. From what year is the framed photograph on June Tremaine's locker by her bed in the nursing home?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Bernard and June were not talking about their own personal world while dating, what were their conversations about?
2. In what way do Jeremy and June disagree on June's reference to her story of the black dogs in Part One of the story?
3. Why does Jeremy state that he naturally identifies with an abandoned child like Sally?
4. Describe Jeremy's method of spending time with his friends' parents.
5. When did Jeremy, in the Prologue, feel that he really began to exist or to live?
6. How does Jeremy feel about his friends' parents?
7. Why did Jeremy feel that Toby Langley did not appreciate his parents?
8. How did Jeremy feel about leaving home for Oxford and being free to live on his own?
9. Does Jeremy feel like a surrogate parent to Sally?
10. Although June and Bernard appear to be living separate lives in Part One, why does Bernard visit her and want news of her from Jeremy?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)