|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is happening in Jean and Harper's relationship?
(a) They are coming apart.
(b) They have decided to have an "open marriage".
(c) They are expecting another child.
(d) They are engaged.
2. What is it about Jeremy that reminds June of Bernard?
(a) His looks.
(b) His sense of humor.
(c) His dryness and distance.
(d) His warmth and kindness.
3. What did Harper do for a living?
(a) He was a bouncer at a bar.
(b) He was a security guard.
(c) He worked in a bank.
(d) He was a part-time teaher.
4. What did Jeremy lose due to a road accident?
(a) His leg.
(b) His new car.
(c) His parents.
(d) His niece.
5. What did Harper end up doing by the end of the summer of Jeremy's eighteenth birthday?
(a) He took Jean and left Sally with Jeremy.
(b) He left Jean for good.
(c) He wrote his life story.
(d) He went back to college for an external degree.
Short Answer Questions
1. As she lay ill in bed, who do we learn June is jealous of as regards Bernard?
2. From what point of view is the novel written?
3. How does Jeremy react to hearing June talk like a Californian professional or a dazed hippie?
4. What was it about the photograph of June and Bernard that Jeremy kept looking at that was so appealing to him?
5. What is odd about the story of how June and Bernard first met and began to date?
Short Essay Questions
1. When June tells Jeremy that she and Bernard were still obsessed with each other in a physical way, what is Jeremy's reaction?
2. In Part One, we know that Jeremy is a bit obsessed with looking at a photograph of June and Bernard that June keeps in her bedroom in the nursing home. What are Jeremy's predominant thoughts when he views the photo?
3. How does Jeremy feel about his friends' parents?
4. In what way did Sally react when she could hear her parents having one of their violent arguments?
5. In June's version of how she and Bernard first met, she actively pursues him, making sure that Bernard sees her when he is near his office. She even tries to make small talk with him. Why does June pursue Bernard when he does not even seem to notice her?
6. When Bernard's grandson, Alexander, asks his cousin, Harry, at June's burial when his grandma will be coming back, how does Harry's answer nearly sum up June's and Bernard's relationship problems?
7. During one of her conversations with Jeremy, June talks about her obsessive relationship with Bernard and their love for one another that could not work. How does June find peace with this?
8. Why does Jeremy state that he naturally identifies with an abandoned child like Sally?
9. What did Jeremy's friends, such as Toby and Joe, think of Jeremy in terms of being an orphan and living on his own mostly?
10. Does Jeremy feel like a surrogate parent to Sally?
This section contains 1,068 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)