|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Jeremy's niece at the beginning of the story?
2. What does Bernard think of living in and reflecting upon the present?
(a) It is the only way to live.
(b) One can learn about life.
(c) It should be combined with the past.
(d) It is self-indulgent.
3. Where did Jenny's parents live when Jeremy first met them?
(a) In North London.
(b) In the South of France.
(c) In Australia.
(d) In separate countries.
4. How many children does Jeremy end up having?
5. What is it that Jeremy's young son, Alexander, keeps asking on the car ride to the cemetery?
(a) "WIll Grandpa die too?"
(b) "Are we there yet?"
(c) "Why did Grandma die?"
(d) "When is she coming back?"
Short Answer Questions
1. June and Bernard had another obsession. What was it?
2. Where did June and Bernard have their first pre-marital intimate encounter?
3. During June's generation, what was the worst possible thing that could happen to a girl?
4. According to Jeremy, looking after children is one way of what?
5. What did Jeremy lose due to a road accident?
Short Essay Questions
1. What would be an apt description of the small family staying at the hotel?
2. How does it come to be that all of the hotel patrons end up eating dinner at the same time?
3. When Bernard and June are waiting at the train station to go into Arles, why do they walk into town instead of continuing to wait?
4. When did Jeremy, in the Prologue, feel that he really began to exist or to live?
5. In Bernard's version of how he and June first met, he says that he could see no point in her job, therefore he did not notice her at all. In his world, she did not even exist until someone told him that she was beautiful. What might this say about Bernard's personality?
6. When June tells Jeremy that she and Bernard were still obsessed with each other in a physical way, what is Jeremy's reaction?
7. Jeremy asks Bernard if he's ever had the feeling that he was tempting fate. What response does Bernard give to that?
8. In June's version of how she and Bernard first met, she actively pursues him, making sure that Bernard sees her when he is near his office. She even tries to make small talk with him. Why does June pursue Bernard when he does not even seem to notice her?
9. Describe Jeremy's method of spending time with his friends' parents.
10. Why did June and Bernard separate, according to the Preface?
This section contains 1,050 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)