|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what age did Jeremy eventually get married?
(b) In his forties.
(d) In his mid-thirties.
2. Where did Jenny's parents live when Jeremy first met them?
(a) In North London.
(b) In the South of France.
(c) In Australia.
(d) In separate countries.
3. What did June discover about herself the morning after the dolmen?
(a) She was a tired woman.
(b) She loved another man.
(c) She could not have children.
(d) She had physical courage.
4. What is odd about the story of how June and Bernard first met and began to date?
(a) They met by accident.
(b) June "stole" Bernard from another woman.
(c) They each have a different story about it.
(d) They met on a blind date and disliked each other.
5. What kind of religious service is performed at June's burial?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 1, what is it that Jeremy is thinking as he stares at June's photograph as a young newlywed?
2. What was Jeremy writing?
3. What is Jeremy's reaction to discovering what June and Bernard's obsession together had been?
4. In Part One, what do we learn about Bernard's current political views?
5. Why did Jeremy work so hard at studying for his A levels?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was it about his friends' parents that interested Jeremy?
2. When Bernard and June were not talking about their own personal world while dating, what were their conversations about?
3. Why did Jeremy feel that Toby Langley did not appreciate his parents?
4. When June tells Jeremy that she and Bernard were still obsessed with each other in a physical way, what is Jeremy's reaction?
5. In Bernard's version of how he and June first met, he says that he could see no point in her job, therefore he did not notice her at all. In his world, she did not even exist until someone told him that she was beautiful. What might this say about Bernard's personality?
6. When did Jeremy, in the Prologue, feel that he really began to exist or to live?
7. How does Jeremy feel about his friends' parents?
8. What thoughts are probably going through Jeremy's mind as he watches June plants flower bulbs?
9. Does Jeremy feel like a surrogate parent to Sally?
10. How did Jeremy feel about leaving home for Oxford and being free to live on his own?
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)