|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Bernard leaves the grave site to walk toward a yew tree in the cemetery. What does he do there?
(a) Counts the headstones.
(b) Has a cigarette.
(d) Watches the sunset.
2. Where did June and Bernard have their first pre-marital intimate encounter?
(a) In Bernard's car.
(b) At the dolmen.
(c) In a movie theater.
(d) In the home of June's girlfriend.
3. In Part One, what do we learn about Bernard's current political views?
(a) He is no longer involved in politics at all.
(b) He is very conservative.
(c) He is still a Communist.
(d) He is a liberal.
4. What did Harper end up doing by the end of the summer of Jeremy's eighteenth birthday?
(a) He took Jean and left Sally with Jeremy.
(b) He wrote his life story.
(c) He went back to college for an external degree.
(d) He left Jean for good.
5. June and Bernard had another obsession. What was it?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Jeremy realize to be the simplest way of getting back a lost parent?
2. What was Bernard's profession?
3. Bernard tells people that June believes the dogs she encountered on the path were something other than just dogs. What were they?
4. What is it about Jeremy that reminds June of Bernard?
5. What is inferred in the last sentence of the Preface?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Jeremy not ever return to Notting Hill?
2. Why is Jeremy in such discomfort at a point in Part One when June is speaking to him of God and religion?
3. In June's version of how she and Bernard first met, she actively pursues him, making sure that Bernard sees her when he is near his office. She even tries to make small talk with him. Why does June pursue Bernard when he does not even seem to notice her?
4. How does Jeremy feel about his friends' parents?
5. What thoughts are probably going through Jeremy's mind as he watches June plants flower bulbs?
6. In Bernard's version of how he and June first met, he says that he could see no point in her job, therefore he did not notice her at all. In his world, she did not even exist until someone told him that she was beautiful. What might this say about Bernard's personality?
7. Why did Jeremy feel that Toby Langley did not appreciate his parents?
8. When Bernard and June were not talking about their own personal world while dating, what were their conversations about?
9. In Part One, we know that Jeremy is a bit obsessed with looking at a photograph of June and Bernard that June keeps in her bedroom in the nursing home. What are Jeremy's predominant thoughts when he views the photo?
10. Why does Jeremy state that he naturally identifies with an abandoned child like Sally?
This section contains 992 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)