|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did June get her doctor on her side and change the staff's attitude toward her?
(a) She let her intelligence and thoughtfulness be known.
(b) She bribed them with money.
(c) Jeremy brought Swiss chocolates to eveyone quite often.
(d) She told them they would all be in her book.
2. What was Jeremy writing?
(a) Bernard's travelogues.
(b) A family history.
(c) June's memoir.
(d) His autobiography.
3. What did Jeremy lose due to a road accident?
(a) His niece.
(b) His new car.
(c) His leg.
(d) His parents.
4. What is happening in Jean and Harper's relationship?
(a) They are engaged.
(b) They have decided to have an "open marriage".
(c) They are expecting another child.
(d) They are coming apart.
5. In Part One, what do we learn about Bernard's current political views?
(a) He is very conservative.
(b) He is still a Communist.
(c) He is no longer involved in politics at all.
(d) He is a liberal.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bernard think of living in and reflecting upon the present?
2. What organization did June join when she was eighteen-years-old?
3. During June's generation, what was the worst possible thing that could happen to a girl?
4. Where was June living when Jeremy was visiting her and taking notes in Part One?
5. How many children does Jeremy end up having?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jeremy state that he naturally identifies with an abandoned child like Sally?
2. How does Jeremy feel about his friends' parents?
3. Describe Jeremy's method of spending time with his friends' parents.
4. In Part One, we know that Jeremy is a bit obsessed with looking at a photograph of June and Bernard that June keeps in her bedroom in the nursing home. What are Jeremy's predominant thoughts when he views the photo?
5. Why did Jeremy feel that Toby Langley did not appreciate his parents?
6. When did Jeremy, in the Prologue, feel that he really began to exist or to live?
7. When Bernard and June were not talking about their own personal world while dating, what were their conversations about?
8. In June's version of how she and Bernard first met, she actively pursues him, making sure that Bernard sees her when he is near his office. She even tries to make small talk with him. Why does June pursue Bernard when he does not even seem to notice her?
9. When Bernard's grandson, Alexander, asks his cousin, Harry, at June's burial when his grandma will be coming back, how does Harry's answer nearly sum up June's and Bernard's relationship problems?
10. How did Jeremy feel about leaving home for Oxford and being free to live on his own?
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)