|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Jeremy tend to become friendly with?
(a) No one.
(b) Parents of people his age.
(c) Little girls of three to five-years-old.
(d) Other college students.
2. When did Sally let on that she had been abused as a child?
(a) When she turned thirteen.
(b) When she was about twenty-years-old.
(c) When she was five-years-old.
(d) She never did.
3. Why does Jeremy go knocking on his friend, Toby's, door?
(a) To spend time with Toby's parents.
(b) To hang out.
(c) To go drinking at Notting Hill.
(d) To have a game of ball.
4. In what way did Jeremy identify with Sally?
(a) They had the same features and coloring.
(b) They loved to play the same games.
(c) He knew they were related.
(d) He felt they were both abandoned children.
5. During June's generation, what was the worst possible thing that could happen to a girl?
(a) Becoming a nun.
(b) Not being married by the age of 25.
(c) Being pregnant outside of marriage.
(d) Getting a divorce.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what point of view is the novel written?
2. To whom does Jeremy dedicate his memoir?
3. What did June discover about herself the morning after the dolmen?
4. At what age did Jeremy eventually get married?
5. What completely overshadowed Jeremy and Jenny's life until their first child was born?
Short Essay Questions
1. What made Bernard suddenly realize that war was not just an historical fact as he had been prone to think of it, but was about individuals, grief and sadness?
2. What thoughts are probably going through Jeremy's mind as he watches June plants flower bulbs?
3. When Jeremy and Bernard share a cab to the airport, what do they talk about?
4. Describe Jenny Tremaine as Jeremy first meets her.
5. Why is Jeremy afraid when he goes to open the bergerie after it had been closed up for two months?
6. What would be an apt description of the small family staying at the hotel?
7. Why does Jeremy state that he naturally identifies with an abandoned child like Sally?
8. Why did Jeremy feel that Toby Langley did not appreciate his parents?
9. In what way did Sally react when she could hear her parents having one of their violent arguments?
10. When Jeremy is working outside the bergerie the day after he arrives, he is pruning peach trees. What do Bernard and June say to one another in his imagination?
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)