|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what way did June become a spiritual person?
(a) She observed the vicious death of her pet dog.
(b) She went to India to meditate.
(c) Through an encounter with two dogs.
(d) Through a visit to Fatima.
2. As she lay ill in bed, who do we learn June is jealous of as regards Bernard?
(a) His secretary.
(b) His housekeeper.
(c) Any woman he meets.
(d) The nurses who chat with him.
3. What did Jean and Harper spend a lot of their time doing?
(a) Taking cruises.
(b) Going out to the movies.
(c) Going to museums.
(d) Drinking and fighting.
4. To whom does Jeremy dedicate his memoir?
(a) His niece, Sally, and his sister, Jean.
(b) His parents.
(c) His wife, Jenny, and his niece, Sally.
(d) The parents he spent many hours with.
5. Bernard leaves the grave site to walk toward a yew tree in the cemetery. What does he do there?
(a) Watches the sunset.
(c) Has a cigarette.
(d) Counts the headstones.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Jeremy think of his friends' need to disassociate themselves from their parents?
2. From what point of view is the novel written?
3. Why did Bernard entertain in restaurants?
4. What did Jean think of Jeremy's friend, Toby?
5. In what way did Jeremy identify with Sally?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Bernard and June were not talking about their own personal world while dating, what were their conversations about?
2. In what way do Jeremy and June disagree on June's reference to her story of the black dogs in Part One of the story?
3. How does June feel that Bernard is so different from her?
4. Why is Jeremy in such discomfort at a point in Part One when June is speaking to him of God and religion?
5. Although June and Bernard appear to be living separate lives in Part One, why does Bernard visit her and want news of her from Jeremy?
6. When did Jeremy, in the Prologue, feel that he really began to exist or to live?
7. When June tells Jeremy that she and Bernard were still obsessed with each other in a physical way, what is Jeremy's reaction?
8. Why does Jeremy state that he naturally identifies with an abandoned child like Sally?
9. Does Jeremy feel like a surrogate parent to Sally?
10. How did Jeremy feel about leaving home for Oxford and being free to live on his own?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)