|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Jeremy work so hard at studying for his A levels?
(a) To find the right girl at a new school.
(b) To attract an older woman.
(c) He wanted to prove how smart he reallly was.
(d) He wanted to go to university and leave home.
2. During June's generation, what was the worst possible thing that could happen to a girl?
(a) Getting a divorce.
(b) Not being married by the age of 25.
(c) Being pregnant outside of marriage.
(d) Becoming a nun.
3. What was June's basic view about life?
(a) Life was random.
(b) It had a purpose.
(c) God had no hand in it.
(d) It was best not to examine it.
4. What did Harper end up doing by the end of the summer of Jeremy's eighteenth birthday?
(a) He went back to college for an external degree.
(b) He wrote his life story.
(c) He took Jean and left Sally with Jeremy.
(d) He left Jean for good.
5. As she lay ill in bed, who do we learn June is jealous of as regards Bernard?
(a) His housekeeper.
(b) The nurses who chat with him.
(c) His secretary.
(d) Any woman he meets.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Jeremy so upset just before leaving for Oxford?
2. What was Jeremy writing?
3. What was Bernard's profession?
4. What organization did June join when she was eighteen-years-old?
5. What does June want to be the centerpiece of the memoir Jeremy is writing about her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jeremy state that he naturally identifies with an abandoned child like Sally?
2. Although June and Bernard appear to be living separate lives in Part One, why does Bernard visit her and want news of her from Jeremy?
3. How did Jeremy feel about leaving home for Oxford and being free to live on his own?
4. In Bernard's version of how he and June first met, he says that he could see no point in her job, therefore he did not notice her at all. In his world, she did not even exist until someone told him that she was beautiful. What might this say about Bernard's personality?
5. When Bernard's grandson, Alexander, asks his cousin, Harry, at June's burial when his grandma will be coming back, how does Harry's answer nearly sum up June's and Bernard's relationship problems?
6. Why is Jeremy in such discomfort at a point in Part One when June is speaking to him of God and religion?
7. What was it about his friends' parents that interested Jeremy?
8. Does Jeremy feel like a surrogate parent to Sally?
9. When June tells Jeremy that she and Bernard were still obsessed with each other in a physical way, what is Jeremy's reaction?
10. Describe Jeremy's method of spending time with his friends' parents.
This section contains 1,005 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)