|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Jenny's parents live when Jeremy first met them?
(a) In separate countries.
(b) In the South of France.
(c) In Australia.
(d) In North London.
2. According to Jeremy, looking after children is one way of what?
(a) Securing the future of the world.
(b) Looking after yourself.
(c) Getting love.
(d) Educating them.
3. What does June believe she discovered after the incident with the dogs?
(a) The perfect animals.
(c) The meaning of life.
(d) Her true self.
4. Why did Jeremy persist in his friendship with his in-laws?
(a) He loved them.
(b) They were constantly at his home.
(c) They were so alike in all ways.
(d) Due to a lifetime habit of befriending parental figures.
5. Bernard tells people that June believes the dogs she encountered on the path were something other than just dogs. What were they?
(a) The ghosts of her parents.
(b) Satan's familiars.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Preface, what liberty does Jeremy report that he takes in his book?
2. Where did Toby Langley spend some of his childhood?
3. What does June want to be the centerpiece of the memoir Jeremy is writing about her?
4. In what way did June become a spiritual person?
5. How does Jeremy react to hearing June talk like a Californian professional or a dazed hippie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Jeremy's friends, such as Toby and Joe, think of Jeremy in terms of being an orphan and living on his own mostly?
2. In Bernard's version of how he and June first met, he says that he could see no point in her job, therefore he did not notice her at all. In his world, she did not even exist until someone told him that she was beautiful. What might this say about Bernard's personality?
3. In June's version of how she and Bernard first met, she actively pursues him, making sure that Bernard sees her when he is near his office. She even tries to make small talk with him. Why does June pursue Bernard when he does not even seem to notice her?
4. In Part One, we know that Jeremy is a bit obsessed with looking at a photograph of June and Bernard that June keeps in her bedroom in the nursing home. What are Jeremy's predominant thoughts when he views the photo?
5. When Bernard and June were not talking about their own personal world while dating, what were their conversations about?
6. In what way did Sally react when she could hear her parents having one of their violent arguments?
7. Why does Jeremy state that he naturally identifies with an abandoned child like Sally?
8. Why did June and Bernard separate, according to the Preface?
9. How did Jeremy feel about leaving home for Oxford and being free to live on his own?
10. How does Jeremy feel about his friends' parents?
This section contains 1,008 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)