|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does June want to be the centerpiece of the memoir Jeremy is writing about her?
(a) A certain Christmas dinner.
(b) The black dogs.
(c) Her divorce.
(d) Her marriage to Bernard.
2. What is Jeremy's reaction to discovering what June and Bernard's obsession together had been?
(a) He feels he knew it all the time.
(c) He finds it difficult to imagine.
3. Where did June and Bernard have their first pre-marital intimate encounter?
(a) In the home of June's girlfriend.
(b) In a movie theater.
(c) In Bernard's car.
(d) At the dolmen.
4. Why does Jeremy go knocking on his friend, Toby's, door?
(a) To spend time with Toby's parents.
(b) To have a game of ball.
(c) To hang out.
(d) To go drinking at Notting Hill.
5. In what way did June become a spiritual person?
(a) She went to India to meditate.
(b) Through an encounter with two dogs.
(c) She observed the vicious death of her pet dog.
(d) Through a visit to Fatima.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is odd about the story of how June and Bernard first met and began to date?
2. In what way did Jeremy identify with Sally?
3. At what age did Jeremy eventually get married?
4. What did Jeremy continue to do after leaving North Oxford?
5. What organization did June join when she was eighteen-years-old?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jeremy state that he naturally identifies with an abandoned child like Sally?
2. Describe Jeremy's method of spending time with his friends' parents.
3. Although June and Bernard appear to be living separate lives in Part One, why does Bernard visit her and want news of her from Jeremy?
4. Why did June and Bernard separate, according to the Preface?
5. How did Jeremy feel about leaving home for Oxford and being free to live on his own?
6. In what way did Sally react when she could hear her parents having one of their violent arguments?
7. When Bernard and June were not talking about their own personal world while dating, what were their conversations about?
8. Does Jeremy feel like a surrogate parent to Sally?
9. What thoughts are probably going through Jeremy's mind as he watches June plants flower bulbs?
10. In June's version of how she and Bernard first met, she actively pursues him, making sure that Bernard sees her when he is near his office. She even tries to make small talk with him. Why does June pursue Bernard when he does not even seem to notice her?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)