|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Jeremy work so hard at studying for his A levels?
(a) To find the right girl at a new school.
(b) To attract an older woman.
(c) He wanted to go to university and leave home.
(d) He wanted to prove how smart he reallly was.
2. Why did Bernard entertain in restaurants?
(a) He was a public figure.
(b) He was a television personality.
(c) He was a chef.
(d) He loved to eat.
3. What kind of religious service is performed at June's burial?
4. Why does Jeremy state that he was something of a parent at the age of seventeen?
(a) He felt older than all of his school friends.
(b) He wanted to become a teacher.
(c) His girlfirend got pregnant and ran away.
(d) He took care of his sister's only child.
5. In the Preface, what liberty does Jeremy report that he takes in his book?
(a) He writes about his dead parents.
(b) He explains his affair with another woman.
(c) He describes his home life with Jenny.
(d) He recounts certain conversations.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Bernard's profession?
2. How many children does Jeremy end up having?
3. What does June want to be the centerpiece of the memoir Jeremy is writing about her?
4. In Part 1, what is it that Jeremy is thinking as he stares at June's photograph as a young newlywed?
5. What was one of the reasons Jeremy did not pursue girls at the age of seventeen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Jeremy feel like a surrogate parent to Sally?
2. What thoughts are probably going through Jeremy's mind as he watches June plants flower bulbs?
3. When June tells Jeremy that she and Bernard were still obsessed with each other in a physical way, what is Jeremy's reaction?
4. Describe Jeremy's method of spending time with his friends' parents.
5. When Bernard and June were not talking about their own personal world while dating, what were their conversations about?
6. Why is Jeremy in such discomfort at a point in Part One when June is speaking to him of God and religion?
7. What was it about his friends' parents that interested Jeremy?
8. When did Jeremy, in the Prologue, feel that he really began to exist or to live?
9. How does Jeremy feel about his friends' parents?
10. Why did Jeremy not ever return to Notting Hill?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)