|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Bernard's profession?
(a) A medical doctor.
(b) A veterinarian.
(c) A politician.
(d) An entomologist.
2. Why did Bernard entertain in restaurants?
(a) He was a television personality.
(b) He loved to eat.
(c) He was a chef.
(d) He was a public figure.
3. Besides Communism, what is one of June's other passions as a young girl?
(a) The countryside.
(c) Financial matters.
(d) Reading literary novels.
4. Why did Jeremy work so hard at studying for his A levels?
(a) He wanted to go to university and leave home.
(b) To attract an older woman.
(c) He wanted to prove how smart he reallly was.
(d) To find the right girl at a new school.
5. In Part 1, what is it that Jeremy is thinking as he stares at June's photograph as a young newlywed?
(a) How much she had changed.
(b) That she looks better now than she did then.
(c) That she looks happier now than she did then.
(d) How beautiful she still was.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Jeremy lose due to a road accident?
2. As she lay ill in bed, who do we learn June is jealous of as regards Bernard?
3. What did Jeremy continue to do after leaving North Oxford?
4. At what stage was June put into the hospice?
5. Why does Jeremy state that he was something of a parent at the age of seventeen?
Short Essay Questions
1. When did Jeremy, in the Prologue, feel that he really began to exist or to live?
2. In June's version of how she and Bernard first met, she actively pursues him, making sure that Bernard sees her when he is near his office. She even tries to make small talk with him. Why does June pursue Bernard when he does not even seem to notice her?
3. Why did Jeremy not ever return to Notting Hill?
4. When June tells Jeremy that she and Bernard were still obsessed with each other in a physical way, what is Jeremy's reaction?
5. Why does Jeremy state that he naturally identifies with an abandoned child like Sally?
6. Although June and Bernard appear to be living separate lives in Part One, why does Bernard visit her and want news of her from Jeremy?
7. Why is Jeremy in such discomfort at a point in Part One when June is speaking to him of God and religion?
8. In Part One, we know that Jeremy is a bit obsessed with looking at a photograph of June and Bernard that June keeps in her bedroom in the nursing home. What are Jeremy's predominant thoughts when he views the photo?
9. What thoughts are probably going through Jeremy's mind as he watches June plants flower bulbs?
10. Does Jeremy feel like a surrogate parent to Sally?
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)