Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many children does Jeremy end up having?
2. What did Jeremy do for Sally?
(a) He played with and looked after her.
(b) He took her to school every day.
(c) He gave her meals.
(d) He took her away from her parents.
3. To whom does Jeremy dedicate his memoir?
(a) The parents he spent many hours with.
(b) His parents.
(c) His niece, Sally, and his sister, Jean.
(d) His wife, Jenny, and his niece, Sally.
4. From what point of view is the novel written?
(a) Third person.
(b) First person.
(d) Second person.
5. Bernard leaves the grave site to walk toward a yew tree in the cemetery. What does he do there?
(a) Has a cigarette.
(b) Counts the headstones.
(c) Watches the sunset.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what way were June and Bernard alike in the beginning of their relationship?
2. How does Jeremy react to hearing June talk like a Californian professional or a dazed hippie?
3. What is it about Jeremy that reminds June of Bernard?
4. During June's generation, what was the worst possible thing that could happen to a girl?
5. Why was Jeremy so upset just before leaving for Oxford?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Bernard and June are waiting at the train station to go into Arles, why do they walk into town instead of continuing to wait?
2. How does Jeremy feel about his friends' parents?
3. In June's version of how she and Bernard first met, she actively pursues him, making sure that Bernard sees her when he is near his office. She even tries to make small talk with him. Why does June pursue Bernard when he does not even seem to notice her?
4. Does Jeremy feel like a surrogate parent to Sally?
5. Why does Jeremy state that he naturally identifies with an abandoned child like Sally?
6. Why do June and Bernard decide they must live their separate lives, yet they do not divorce?
7. Describe Jeremy's method of spending time with his friends' parents.
8. Describe Jenny Tremaine as Jeremy first meets her.
9. When Jeremy and Bernard begin to discuss things that June told Jeremy for her memoir, what is Bernard's initial reaction?
10. When Jeremy and Jenny first speak to each other of their parents, what intrigues Jeremy?
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)