|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Jeremy persist in his friendship with his in-laws?
(a) They were constantly at his home.
(b) They were so alike in all ways.
(c) Due to a lifetime habit of befriending parental figures.
(d) He loved them.
2. Bernard tells people that June believes the dogs she encountered on the path were something other than just dogs. What were they?
(b) Satan's familiars.
(d) The ghosts of her parents.
3. What is it about Jeremy that reminds June of Bernard?
(a) His sense of humor.
(b) His dryness and distance.
(c) His warmth and kindness.
(d) His looks.
4. How many children does Jeremy end up having?
5. What does Bernard think of living in and reflecting upon the present?
(a) It should be combined with the past.
(b) One can learn about life.
(c) It is the only way to live.
(d) It is self-indulgent.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Bernard entertain in restaurants?
2. At what stage was June put into the hospice?
3. What was one of the reasons Jeremy did not pursue girls at the age of seventeen?
4. Why was Jeremy so upset just before leaving for Oxford?
5. When Jeremy spoke with Bernard, how did he feel about June?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Bernard and June were not talking about their own personal world while dating, what were their conversations about?
2. Why did Jeremy not ever return to Notting Hill?
3. Why does Jeremy state that he naturally identifies with an abandoned child like Sally?
4. Does Jeremy feel like a surrogate parent to Sally?
5. In Bernard's version of how he and June first met, he says that he could see no point in her job, therefore he did not notice her at all. In his world, she did not even exist until someone told him that she was beautiful. What might this say about Bernard's personality?
6. In what way did Sally react when she could hear her parents having one of their violent arguments?
7. In Part One, we know that Jeremy is a bit obsessed with looking at a photograph of June and Bernard that June keeps in her bedroom in the nursing home. What are Jeremy's predominant thoughts when he views the photo?
8. How does Jeremy feel about his friends' parents?
9. Why did June and Bernard separate, according to the Preface?
10. In June's version of how she and Bernard first met, she actively pursues him, making sure that Bernard sees her when he is near his office. She even tries to make small talk with him. Why does June pursue Bernard when he does not even seem to notice her?
This section contains 983 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)