|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Jeremy persist in his friendship with his in-laws?
(a) They were so alike in all ways.
(b) Due to a lifetime habit of befriending parental figures.
(c) He loved them.
(d) They were constantly at his home.
2. What was it about the photograph of June and Bernard that Jeremy kept looking at that was so appealing to him?
(a) The colors were true to life.
(b) Their smiles were infectious.
(c) They both were in formal dress.
(d) The innocence of the time it was taken in.
3. What does Bernard look like?
(a) He is bald with a goatee.
(b) He is large with a generous face.
(c) He is obese and bald.
(d) He is scrawny and plain looking.
4. In Part 1, what is it that Jeremy is thinking as he stares at June's photograph as a young newlywed?
(a) How beautiful she still was.
(b) That she looks better now than she did then.
(c) That she looks happier now than she did then.
(d) How much she had changed.
5. What is happening in Jean and Harper's relationship?
(a) They are coming apart.
(b) They are expecting another child.
(c) They have decided to have an "open marriage".
(d) They are engaged.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was June's basic view about life?
2. In what way did June become a spiritual person?
3. What is inferred in the last sentence of the Preface?
4. What did Jeremy lose due to a road accident?
5. How many children does Jeremy end up having?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jeremy state that he naturally identifies with an abandoned child like Sally?
2. In what way did Sally react when she could hear her parents having one of their violent arguments?
3. How does Jeremy feel about his friends' parents?
4. Why is Jeremy in such discomfort at a point in Part One when June is speaking to him of God and religion?
5. When Bernard and June were not talking about their own personal world while dating, what were their conversations about?
6. In June's version of how she and Bernard first met, she actively pursues him, making sure that Bernard sees her when he is near his office. She even tries to make small talk with him. Why does June pursue Bernard when he does not even seem to notice her?
7. Why did June and Bernard separate, according to the Preface?
8. Does Jeremy feel like a surrogate parent to Sally?
9. Describe Jeremy's method of spending time with his friends' parents.
10. Although June and Bernard appear to be living separate lives in Part One, why does Bernard visit her and want news of her from Jeremy?
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)