|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Jeremy's niece at the beginning of the story?
2. What did Jeremy lose due to a road accident?
(a) His niece.
(b) His new car.
(c) His parents.
(d) His leg.
3. Bernard leaves the grave site to walk toward a yew tree in the cemetery. What does he do there?
(a) Watches the sunset.
(c) Counts the headstones.
(d) Has a cigarette.
4. What is odd about the story of how June and Bernard first met and began to date?
(a) June "stole" Bernard from another woman.
(b) They met on a blind date and disliked each other.
(c) They met by accident.
(d) They each have a different story about it.
5. In what way were June and Bernard alike in the beginning of their relationship?
(a) They were ophans.
(b) They both enjoyed theater and music.
(c) They were very spiritual.
(d) They were both communists.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is inferred in the last sentence of the Preface?
2. What does Bernard look like?
3. What is Jeremy's reaction to discovering what June and Bernard's obsession together had been?
4. What did Jeremy think of his friends' need to disassociate themselves from their parents?
5. According to Jeremy, looking after children is one way of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Jeremy's method of spending time with his friends' parents.
2. During one of her conversations with Jeremy, June talks about her obsessive relationship with Bernard and their love for one another that could not work. How does June find peace with this?
3. When June tells Jeremy that she and Bernard were still obsessed with each other in a physical way, what is Jeremy's reaction?
4. What thoughts are probably going through Jeremy's mind as he watches June plants flower bulbs?
5. In Part One, we know that Jeremy is a bit obsessed with looking at a photograph of June and Bernard that June keeps in her bedroom in the nursing home. What are Jeremy's predominant thoughts when he views the photo?
6. In Bernard's version of how he and June first met, he says that he could see no point in her job, therefore he did not notice her at all. In his world, she did not even exist until someone told him that she was beautiful. What might this say about Bernard's personality?
7. In June's version of how she and Bernard first met, she actively pursues him, making sure that Bernard sees her when he is near his office. She even tries to make small talk with him. Why does June pursue Bernard when he does not even seem to notice her?
8. Does Jeremy feel like a surrogate parent to Sally?
9. In what way did Sally react when she could hear her parents having one of their violent arguments?
10. Why does Jeremy state that he naturally identifies with an abandoned child like Sally?
This section contains 1,098 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)