|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Jeremy tend to become friendly with?
(a) Other college students.
(b) No one.
(c) Little girls of three to five-years-old.
(d) Parents of people his age.
2. What is Jeremy's reaction to discovering what June and Bernard's obsession together had been?
(b) He finds it difficult to imagine.
(d) He feels he knew it all the time.
3. How did June get her doctor on her side and change the staff's attitude toward her?
(a) She let her intelligence and thoughtfulness be known.
(b) She bribed them with money.
(c) She told them they would all be in her book.
(d) Jeremy brought Swiss chocolates to eveyone quite often.
4. What is odd about the story of how June and Bernard first met and began to date?
(a) June "stole" Bernard from another woman.
(b) They each have a different story about it.
(c) They met by accident.
(d) They met on a blind date and disliked each other.
5. At what stage was June put into the hospice?
(a) She never entered a hospice.
(b) Two weeks before she died.
(c) Seven years before she died.
(d) When she was terminal.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is it that June dreaded when thinking about marriage?
2. What does Bernard think of living in and reflecting upon the present?
3. What is inferred in the last sentence of the Preface?
4. During June's generation, what was the worst possible thing that could happen to a girl?
5. What did Jeremy lose due to a road accident?
Short Essay Questions
1. In June's version of how she and Bernard first met, she actively pursues him, making sure that Bernard sees her when he is near his office. She even tries to make small talk with him. Why does June pursue Bernard when he does not even seem to notice her?
2. In Part One, we know that Jeremy is a bit obsessed with looking at a photograph of June and Bernard that June keeps in her bedroom in the nursing home. What are Jeremy's predominant thoughts when he views the photo?
3. How does Jeremy feel about his friends' parents?
4. When Bernard and June were not talking about their own personal world while dating, what were their conversations about?
5. Why is Jeremy in such discomfort at a point in Part One when June is speaking to him of God and religion?
6. Although June and Bernard appear to be living separate lives in Part One, why does Bernard visit her and want news of her from Jeremy?
7. When Bernard's grandson, Alexander, asks his cousin, Harry, at June's burial when his grandma will be coming back, how does Harry's answer nearly sum up June's and Bernard's relationship problems?
8. How does June feel that Bernard is so different from her?
9. How did Jeremy feel about leaving home for Oxford and being free to live on his own?
10. Describe Jeremy's method of spending time with his friends' parents.
This section contains 1,003 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)