|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Jeremy work so hard at studying for his A levels?
(a) To attract an older woman.
(b) To find the right girl at a new school.
(c) He wanted to prove how smart he reallly was.
(d) He wanted to go to university and leave home.
2. What is inferred in the last sentence of the Preface?
(a) June and Bernard are dead.
(b) June and Bernard never forgive Jeremy.
(c) June and Bernard haunt Jeremy's home.
(d) Jeremy believes in ghosts and spiritualism.
3. What kind of religious service is performed at June's burial?
4. Where did Toby Langley spend some of his childhood?
(a) In the Middle East, Kenya, and Venezuela.
(b) At Oxford.
(c) In Notting Hill.
(d) In the United States and Mexico.
5. When Jeremy spoke with Bernard, how did he feel about June?
(a) He knew June was outlandishlly wrong about the world.
(b) He felt sorry for her.
(c) He was glad he knew her.
(d) He felt June was right in her world beliefs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Bernard usually do when he knew Jeremy had just been to see June?
2. As she lay ill in bed, who do we learn June is jealous of as regards Bernard?
3. What were June and Bernard doing at the time the photograph in Part One was taken?
4. What is Jeremy's reaction to discovering what June and Bernard's obsession together had been?
5. In what way did Jeremy identify with Sally?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Jeremy feel that Toby Langley did not appreciate his parents?
2. Why did Jeremy not ever return to Notting Hill?
3. When Bernard's grandson, Alexander, asks his cousin, Harry, at June's burial when his grandma will be coming back, how does Harry's answer nearly sum up June's and Bernard's relationship problems?
4. How does June feel that Bernard is so different from her?
5. When did Jeremy, in the Prologue, feel that he really began to exist or to live?
6. Describe Jeremy's method of spending time with his friends' parents.
7. In what way do Jeremy and June disagree on June's reference to her story of the black dogs in Part One of the story?
8. In what way did Sally react when she could hear her parents having one of their violent arguments?
9. During one of her conversations with Jeremy, June talks about her obsessive relationship with Bernard and their love for one another that could not work. How does June find peace with this?
10. How did Jeremy feel about leaving home for Oxford and being free to live on his own?
This section contains 1,023 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)