|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is happening in Jean and Harper's relationship?
(a) They are engaged.
(b) They are coming apart.
(c) They have decided to have an "open marriage".
(d) They are expecting another child.
2. At what stage was June put into the hospice?
(a) Seven years before she died.
(b) Two weeks before she died.
(c) She never entered a hospice.
(d) When she was terminal.
3. Where did June and Bernard have their first pre-marital intimate encounter?
(a) At the dolmen.
(b) In a movie theater.
(c) In Bernard's car.
(d) In the home of June's girlfriend.
4. What was it about the photograph of June and Bernard that Jeremy kept looking at that was so appealing to him?
(a) Their smiles were infectious.
(b) The innocence of the time it was taken in.
(c) They both were in formal dress.
(d) The colors were true to life.
5. Why was Jeremy so upset just before leaving for Oxford?
(a) He didn't think college was right for him.
(b) Sally was crying because he was going away.
(c) Harper was threatening to kill him.
(d) His bags would not fit in his friend's car.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did June discover about herself the morning after the dolmen?
2. What is the Dolmen de la Prunarede?
3. From what year is the framed photograph on June Tremaine's locker by her bed in the nursing home?
4. Why does Jeremy state that he was something of a parent at the age of seventeen?
5. As she lay ill in bed, who do we learn June is jealous of as regards Bernard?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Jeremy's method of spending time with his friends' parents.
2. In Part One, we know that Jeremy is a bit obsessed with looking at a photograph of June and Bernard that June keeps in her bedroom in the nursing home. What are Jeremy's predominant thoughts when he views the photo?
3. Does Jeremy feel like a surrogate parent to Sally?
4. What thoughts are probably going through Jeremy's mind as he watches June plants flower bulbs?
5. Why did June and Bernard separate, according to the Preface?
6. In what way do Jeremy and June disagree on June's reference to her story of the black dogs in Part One of the story?
7. How did Jeremy feel about leaving home for Oxford and being free to live on his own?
8. Why does Jeremy state that he naturally identifies with an abandoned child like Sally?
9. In what way did Sally react when she could hear her parents having one of their violent arguments?
10. In June's version of how she and Bernard first met, she actively pursues him, making sure that Bernard sees her when he is near his office. She even tries to make small talk with him. Why does June pursue Bernard when he does not even seem to notice her?
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)