|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what age did Jeremy eventually get married?
(c) In his mid-thirties.
(d) In his forties.
2. What did Jeremy continue to do after leaving North Oxford?
(a) Leaving places and people.
(c) Switching girlfriends.
(d) Writing to Harper.
3. Why did Jeremy work so hard at studying for his A levels?
(a) He wanted to prove how smart he reallly was.
(b) He wanted to go to university and leave home.
(c) To attract an older woman.
(d) To find the right girl at a new school.
4. What did Bernard usually do when he knew Jeremy had just been to see June?
(a) He called Jeremy to see how ill June was.
(b) He did nothing, as he did not care.
(c) He telephoned Jeremy to ask if she'd been talking about him.
(d) He asked if June needed anything.
5. At what stage was June put into the hospice?
(a) When she was terminal.
(b) Two weeks before she died.
(c) She never entered a hospice.
(d) Seven years before she died.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is it about Jeremy that reminds June of Bernard?
2. What kind of religious service is performed at June's burial?
3. Why does Jeremy go knocking on his friend, Toby's, door?
4. How does Jeremy react to hearing June talk like a Californian professional or a dazed hippie?
5. During June's generation, what was the worst possible thing that could happen to a girl?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Jeremy feel about leaving home for Oxford and being free to live on his own?
2. Describe Jeremy's method of spending time with his friends' parents.
3. In what way do Jeremy and June disagree on June's reference to her story of the black dogs in Part One of the story?
4. Why is Jeremy in such discomfort at a point in Part One when June is speaking to him of God and religion?
5. Why did June and Bernard separate, according to the Preface?
6. Why does Jeremy state that he naturally identifies with an abandoned child like Sally?
7. In Part One, we know that Jeremy is a bit obsessed with looking at a photograph of June and Bernard that June keeps in her bedroom in the nursing home. What are Jeremy's predominant thoughts when he views the photo?
8. When did Jeremy, in the Prologue, feel that he really began to exist or to live?
9. Although June and Bernard appear to be living separate lives in Part One, why does Bernard visit her and want news of her from Jeremy?
10. When June tells Jeremy that she and Bernard were still obsessed with each other in a physical way, what is Jeremy's reaction?
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)