|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Part Two, Bernard and Jeremy see a deserted watchtower over sand that conceal land mines. What do they see there?
(a) Nothing but memories.
(d) A child running.
2. Jeremy believes the man in the crowd holding a Communist flag is of a certain nationality. What is it?
3. When Jeremy speaks to the father eating dinner in the hotel, what grammatical error does he make?
(a) He calls the man a woman.
(b) He speaks in the familiar rather than the more formal way.
(c) He leaves verbs out of his sentence.
(d) He says "my" instead of "your" jaw.
4. In Part Two, what news does Bernard have when he calls Jeremy and Jenny at home?
(a) He is leaving for a vacation in Germany.
(b) He is very ill and may be dying.
(c) The Berlin Wall is coming down.
(d) He was getting remarried soon.
5. Why won't Bernard make conversation with the taxi driver who takes him to the airport?
(a) He does not speak French.
(b) He is too "real" and "common" for Bernard to deal with.
(c) Bernard does not want to pay the fare.
(d) Bernard is afraid the argument will get violent.
6. Why was Jeremy unable to eat his breakfast at the convention where he met Jenny?
(a) He found her distant and annoying at the breakfast table.
(b) He threw up every time he ran into Jenny so he stopped eating.
(c) At first sight of her at breakfast, he became lovesick and lost his appetite.
(d) He could not bare to see Jenny at breakfast so he skipped it.
7. About how many people have gathered to watch the Berlin Wall fall in Part Two?
8. Who holds the little boy who fell to the floor?
(a) The cook.
(b) Mme. Auriac.
(c) The woman from Paris.
(d) The waitress.
9. Jeremy hears a running conversation in his head while in the bergerie, alone. Who is talking in his head?
(a) June and Jenny.
(b) Jenny and he.
(c) Sally and Jean.
(d) June and Bernard.
10. Why does Bernard stare at girls on the street?
(a) He is attracted to beautiful young women.
(b) He wonders if they could be converted to the Party.
(c) He thinks of his daughter, Jenny.
(d) He is looking for a trace of the old June.
11. What does Jenny tell Jeremy when he asks why she mentioned black dogs earlier?
(a) That she cannot talk about it.
(b) That it is a family phrase.
(c) That she had read it somewhere.
(d) That it was a dream she had.
12. When Jeremy tries to get some words in edgewise during the conversation he is overhearing, what do the voices do?
(a) They completely ignore him.
(b) They are silent for a few moments.
(c) There is violent yelling.
(d) They stop completely.
13. What does June tell Bernard shortly after they are married and Bernard kills an insect?
(a) She wants an annulment.
(b) That he is a brilliant man of science.
(c) That she is pregnant.
(d) She now hates him.
14. What is the name of the woman in the crowd who Bernard notes looks a little bit like June?
15. While Jeremy is eating dinner at the hotel, who are the other guests in the dining room with him?
(a) One other man and a small family.
(b) A lone woman and a little boy.
(c) A large Italian family.
(d) A small family and a lone woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Bernard refer to June's preoccupation with the spiritual world in Part Two?
2. When do Jenny and Jeremy end up getting married?
3. Where does Jeremy realize he and Bernard had seen the woman and her friend who helps them to a taxi?
4. How long did Bernard stay in the Communist Party?
5. Who ends up saving Bernard from the teenagers?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)