|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Bernard accuses June of having left the Party years before he did, but for a different reason. What was her reason, according to Bernard?
(a) She converted to Stalinism.
(b) June saw a tragic flaw in Communism and became an atheist.
(c) June wanted to be as different from Bernard as she could be.
(d) June wanted to trade that utopian ideal for another.
2. Bernard quotes some lines attributed to Isaiah Berlin to Jeremy. What are they about?
(a) Hitler's Nazi Party.
(b) The fatal quality of utopia.
(c) The risks of Communism.
(d) Freedom of choice for all people.
3. Who calls Jeremy late at night to give him news of Berlin?
4. What happens to Bernard when a group of teenagers approach him at the Berlin Wall?
(a) He gets kicked in the shin and falls down.
(b) He is beaten to death.
(c) He is called names and becomes embarassed.
(d) He is dragged through the streets by his legs.
5. When Bernard finally thanks the person who saved him from the teenagers, how does he do it?
(a) He offers her money as a thank you gift.
(b) He kisses her hand in thanks.
(c) He only smiles.
(d) He thanks her without looking at her face.
6. Why does Bernard stare at girls on the street?
(a) He thinks of his daughter, Jenny.
(b) He is attracted to beautiful young women.
(c) He is looking for a trace of the old June.
(d) He wonders if they could be converted to the Party.
7. Who holds the little boy who fell to the floor?
(a) The woman from Paris.
(b) The cook.
(c) The waitress.
(d) Mme. Auriac.
8. Why was Jeremy hesitant to visit Majdanek?
(a) He did not understand why anyone would go there.
(b) He did not have the time.
(c) He had been to Belsen once and that was enough for him.
(d) He was reluctant to spend the money.
9. Where did Jenny want to go while at the convention?
(a) To the movie theatre.
(b) To a concentration camp.
(c) To Krakow.
10. When Bernard talks about June's wanting to living apart from him in Part Two, what does he refer to himself as?
(a) One of her eggs.
(b) Her magical fantasy.
(c) A thing she toyed with.
(d) Her experiment.
11. What symbol do some of the teenage boys who harass Bernard have on their selves?
(b) Skull and crossbones.
(c) Peace signs.
(d) Sickle and hammers.
12. In Part Two, what does Bernard say he misses most about June?
(a) Her carefree spirit.
(b) Her laughter.
(c) Her ability to cope with stress.
(d) Her seriousness about life.
13. In Part Two, what news does Bernard have when he calls Jeremy and Jenny at home?
(a) He is leaving for a vacation in Germany.
(b) He is very ill and may be dying.
(c) He was getting remarried soon.
(d) The Berlin Wall is coming down.
14. After Jenny and Jeremy visited Majdanek, how long was it before they spoke to one another?
(a) An hour.
(b) Two days.
(c) Five minutes.
(d) 24 hours.
15. In what way did Jeremy realize he had heard of Jenny's father, Bernard Tremaine?
(a) From television talk shows.
(b) From radio programs and his biography of Nasser.
(c) From a chance meeting at an airport.
(d) He had read his autobiography.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jeremy stop for a beer while walking through St. Maurice?
2. In Part Two when Bernard questions Jeremy about what June spoke of when they discussed the memoir, what does he ask?
3. What does Mme. Auriac give the little boy who got hurt?
4. How long did Bernard stay in the Communist Party?
5. What does Jeremy discover on the switchboard cover in the bergerie?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)