|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who holds the little boy who fell to the floor?
(a) The cook.
(b) Mme. Auriac.
(c) The waitress.
(d) The woman from Paris.
2. What does Jenny tell Jeremy when he asks why she mentioned black dogs earlier?
(a) That she had read it somewhere.
(b) That it is a family phrase.
(c) That it was a dream she had.
(d) That she cannot talk about it.
3. What does Bernard tell Jeremy they are standing near when they come upon a very large hole?
(a) A mass grave site for Russian soldiers.
(b) An old Gestapo headquarters.
(c) The Nazi Party's last battle with the enemy.
(d) Hitler's bunker.
4. What does Mme. Auriac give to Jeremy while waiting for the police to arrive?
(a) Ice cream.
(b) His dessert.
(c) A cognac.
(d) A kiss on the cheek.
5. In Part Two when Bernard questions Jeremy about what June spoke of when they discussed the memoir, what does he ask?
(a) If she had turned back to Communism in the end.
(b) How she felt about dying alone.
(c) Whether religion was something she really believed in.
(d) If she spoke about their lives in a very personal way.
6. What feeling does Jeremy get when he enters the family chalet?
(a) He is overcome with exhaustion.
(b) He is filled with peace at being there.
(c) He is depressed.
(d) He feels uneasy, as though he is being watched.
7. When Bernard talks about June's wanting to living apart from him in Part Two, what does he refer to himself as?
(a) Her magical fantasy.
(b) A thing she toyed with.
(c) One of her eggs.
(d) Her experiment.
8. Upon Jeremy's return to the hotel after his walk to the dolmen, what does he overhear in the kitchen?
(a) A love spat between a husband and wife.
(b) A drunken brawl.
(c) The owners arguing over him.
(d) Talk of the lack of food for the evening's dinner.
9. How does Jenny react when Jeremy tells her that he thinks he is going mad with listening to these conversations in his head?
(a) She cries.
(b) She implies that she will rush over to be with him.
(c) She lets him know that he asked for it.
(d) She tells him to rush to a hospital.
10. Why won't Bernard make conversation with the taxi driver who takes him to the airport?
(a) Bernard does not want to pay the fare.
(b) Bernard is afraid the argument will get violent.
(c) He does not speak French.
(d) He is too "real" and "common" for Bernard to deal with.
11. How does Bernard refer to June's preoccupation with the spiritual world in Part Two?
(b) New Agism.
(d) Born Again Christianity.
12. Jeremy believes the man in the crowd holding a Communist flag is of a certain nationality. What is it?
13. When Jenny told Jeremy she considered him a friend and touched his hand, what happened next?
(a) He backed away.
(b) He kissed her.
(c) He told her he had a girlfriend in England.
(d) He stood still, not knowing what to do.
14. Why does Bernard stare at girls on the street?
(a) He wonders if they could be converted to the Party.
(b) He is attracted to beautiful young women.
(c) He is looking for a trace of the old June.
(d) He thinks of his daughter, Jenny.
15. What happens to the boy having dinner at the hotel?
(a) He faints.
(b) He is attacked by dogs.
(c) He throws up his dinner.
(d) He is beaten by his father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the woman in the crowd who Bernard notes looks a little bit like June?
2. What does Jeremy discover on the switchboard cover in the bergerie?
3. Who calls Jeremy late at night to give him news of Berlin?
4. What does Mme. Auriac give the little boy who got hurt?
5. What happens to Bernard when a group of teenagers approach him at the Berlin Wall?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)