|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mme. Auriac give to Jeremy while waiting for the police to arrive?
(a) A kiss on the cheek.
(b) Ice cream.
(c) A cognac.
(d) His dessert.
2. What is it about a small boy dining at the hotel that touches Jeremy?
(a) He feels the boy's loneliness.
(b) The boy's friendliless towards everyone.
(c) The boy is very obedient to his family.
(d) Jeremy has a grown-up conversation with him.
3. When Bernard and Jeremy look out over the border and the Wall from an observation stand in Part Two, what one word does Jeremy have to say?
4. Bernard accuses June of having left the Party years before he did, but for a different reason. What was her reason, according to Bernard?
(a) She converted to Stalinism.
(b) June wanted to trade that utopian ideal for another.
(c) June wanted to be as different from Bernard as she could be.
(d) June saw a tragic flaw in Communism and became an atheist.
5. How long did Bernard stay in the Communist Party?
(a) Thirty years.
(b) Twenty years.
(c) All his life so far.
(d) Ten years.
6. Where do Jeremy and the father in the hotel restaurant go after speaking?
(a) To the kitchen.
(d) Back to their tables.
7. Jeremy hears a running conversation in his head while in the bergerie, alone. Who is talking in his head?
(a) Sally and Jean.
(b) June and Bernard.
(c) Jenny and he.
(d) June and Jenny.
8. About how many people have gathered to watch the Berlin Wall fall in Part Two?
9. When Bernard finally thanks the person who saved him from the teenagers, how does he do it?
(a) He kisses her hand in thanks.
(b) He offers her money as a thank you gift.
(c) He only smiles.
(d) He thanks her without looking at her face.
10. When Jenny told Jeremy she considered him a friend and touched his hand, what happened next?
(a) He backed away.
(b) He told her he had a girlfriend in England.
(c) He stood still, not knowing what to do.
(d) He kissed her.
11. When Jeremy tries to get some words in edgewise during the conversation he is overhearing, what do the voices do?
(a) They stop completely.
(b) They completely ignore him.
(c) They are silent for a few moments.
(d) There is violent yelling.
12. When a group of teenagers surround Bernard, what does he tell them?
(a) To take off and leave.
(b) To take pity on him.
(c) To explain their tatoos.
(d) To march with the crowd.
13. Who holds the little boy who fell to the floor?
(a) The waitress.
(b) Mme. Auriac.
(c) The woman from Paris.
(d) The cook.
14. What are Jeremy and Bernard walking towards in Part Two to get to a better section of the Wall?
(a) Towards the media trucks.
(b) Checkpoint Charlie.
(c) The Brandenburg Gate.
(d) The East Berlin police headquarters.
15. Where does Jeremy stop for a beer while walking through St. Maurice?
(a) In the woods.
(b) The hotel where June and Bernard honeymooned.
(c) In a bar in the next town over.
(d) At a farm, La Prunarede.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does June tell Bernard shortly after they are married and Bernard kills an insect?
2. After Jenny and Jeremy visited Majdanek, how long was it before they spoke to one another?
3. What happens to the boy having dinner at the hotel?
4. When Jeremy speaks to the father eating dinner in the hotel, what grammatical error does he make?
5. What does Jenny tell Jeremy when he asks why she mentioned black dogs earlier?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)