|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Bernard react to Jeremy's knowledge of where they had met the women who helped Bernard get to a taxi?
(a) With great anxiety and fear.
(b) He wants to track them down and get their phone numbers.
(c) Upset that he will not see them again.
(d) He calls it a coincidence and changes the subject.
2. What was Bernard's attitude towards the insect and, as he understands now, most things and June?
(a) Loving and highly emotional.
(b) Unresponsive and quiet.
(c) Unemotional and arrogant.
(d) Humorous and carefree.
3. What does Jenny tell Jeremy when he asks why she mentioned black dogs earlier?
(a) That she cannot talk about it.
(b) That she had read it somewhere.
(c) That it is a family phrase.
(d) That it was a dream she had.
4. When Jeremy asks Bernard if he wants to sit and rest for a while as they make their way to a cafe, why does Bernard leave his side?
(a) To chat with the American soldiers.
(b) To hurry towards the cafe on his own.
(c) To go towards a man with a Communist flag who is holding up traffic.
(d) To make a speech about Communism's fall to small crowd.
5. In Part Two when Bernard questions Jeremy about what June spoke of when they discussed the memoir, what does he ask?
(a) How she felt about dying alone.
(b) If she spoke about their lives in a very personal way.
(c) Whether religion was something she really believed in.
(d) If she had turned back to Communism in the end.
6. Upon Jeremy's return to the hotel after his walk to the dolmen, what does he overhear in the kitchen?
(a) Talk of the lack of food for the evening's dinner.
(b) A drunken brawl.
(c) The owners arguing over him.
(d) A love spat between a husband and wife.
7. What symbol do some of the teenage boys who harass Bernard have on their selves?
(a) Peace signs.
(b) Sickle and hammers.
(d) Skull and crossbones.
8. While Jeremy is eating dinner at the hotel, who are the other guests in the dining room with him?
(a) A lone woman and a little boy.
(b) A large Italian family.
(c) A small family and a lone woman.
(d) One other man and a small family.
9. What finally drew Bernard away from the Communist Party?
(a) June did.
(b) The difficulty in traveling to Russia.
(c) The Cold War.
(d) The contradictions between the reality and the fantasy of it.
10. What is the name of the Hotel des Tilleuls' owner?
(a) Danielle Bertrand.
(b) Maurice Navacelles.
(c) Monique Auriac.
(d) Francois Gauloises.
11. What does Jeremy ask Bernard when he speaks of June and Bernard's love for one another?
(a) How many other lovers did you have?
(b) Why would you never get a divorce and end it?
(c) Did you know Jenny hated you both?
(d) How could you waste so much time?
12. When Jeremy speaks to the father eating dinner in the hotel, what grammatical error does he make?
(a) He says "my" instead of "your" jaw.
(b) He leaves verbs out of his sentence.
(c) He speaks in the familiar rather than the more formal way.
(d) He calls the man a woman.
13. How does Bernard refer to June's preoccupation with the spiritual world in Part Two?
(b) Born Again Christianity.
(c) New Agism.
14. When Jeremy tries to get some words in edgewise during the conversation he is overhearing, what do the voices do?
(a) They completely ignore him.
(b) They stop completely.
(c) They are silent for a few moments.
(d) There is violent yelling.
15. When the teenagers take their leave, how do they do it without losing face?
(a) They spit and curse at the crowd.
(b) They walk away slowly and pretend they are bored.
(c) One of them gives Bernard a punch in the stomach before leaving.
(d) They shoot a gun in the air.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jeremy do with the father who had been eating dinner with his family?
2. What does Bernard tell Jeremy they are standing near when they come upon a very large hole?
3. Jeremy hears a running conversation in his head while in the bergerie, alone. Who is talking in his head?
4. When does Jeremy state he intended to originally end the memoir he is writing?
5. Why is Part Two titled, "Berlin"?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)