|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the woman in the crowd who Bernard notes looks a little bit like June?
2. Bernard quotes some lines attributed to Isaiah Berlin to Jeremy. What are they about?
(a) The fatal quality of utopia.
(b) Hitler's Nazi Party.
(c) The risks of Communism.
(d) Freedom of choice for all people.
3. Who calls Jeremy late at night to give him news of Berlin?
4. Where did Jenny want to go while at the convention?
(a) To Krakow.
(b) To the movie theatre.
(c) To a concentration camp.
5. What is it about a small boy dining at the hotel that touches Jeremy?
(a) He feels the boy's loneliness.
(b) The boy is very obedient to his family.
(c) Jeremy has a grown-up conversation with him.
(d) The boy's friendliless towards everyone.
6. Who ends up saving Bernard from the teenagers?
(b) A West German policeman.
(c) An East German policeman.
(d) A young woman who yells at them.
7. What does Mme. Auriac give the little boy who got hurt?
(a) An ice pack.
(b) A cold soda.
(c) Ice cream.
8. When Jeremy, in Part Two, tells Bernard what June spoke about in a personal way about the two of them, how does Bernard react?
(a) He turns on his heel and leaves Jeremy without a word.
(b) He laughs and says it was just like her to say that.
(c) He begins to cry.
(d) He is angry and says she got an important detail wrong.
9. What does Jeremy do with the father who had been eating dinner with his family?
(a) He only stares at him.
(b) He has a pleasant conversation about the dolmen with him.
(c) He gives him a lecture about children.
(d) He punches and kicks him.
10. In Part Two, what news does Bernard have when he calls Jeremy and Jenny at home?
(a) He is leaving for a vacation in Germany.
(b) He is very ill and may be dying.
(c) He was getting remarried soon.
(d) The Berlin Wall is coming down.
11. When Bernard and Jeremy are at the Berlin Wall, why are some of the crowd watching and listening to them both?
(a) Jeremy is yelling at Bernard about love.
(b) They are hitting one another in the arm.
(c) Bernard is crying loudly, asking for June.
(d) Jeremy is screaming that Bernard is the father he never had.
12. What is the name of the Hotel des Tilleuls' owner?
(a) Maurice Navacelles.
(b) Danielle Bertrand.
(c) Francois Gauloises.
(d) Monique Auriac.
13. What does Jeremy do in Lublin that is so uncharacteristic of him?
(a) He asks Jenny to marry him on the spot.
(b) He shouts to the people around him that he is in love.
(c) He gets very drunk and passes out.
(d) He kisses Jenny spontaneously and professes his love.
14. In Part Three of the book, Jeremy asks Bernard to tell him the details of a story. Which story is that?
(a) The truth behind Bernard's injured leg.
(b) How June acted in the Hotel des Tilleuls.
(c) The Maire's story about the dogs.
(d) The story of Hitler's invasion of France.
15. After Jenny and Jeremy visited Majdanek, how long was it before they spoke to one another?
(a) Five minutes.
(b) 24 hours.
(c) Two days.
(d) An hour.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Jeremy unable to eat his breakfast at the convention where he met Jenny?
2. When do Jenny and Jeremy end up getting married?
3. When Jeremy asks Bernard if he wants to sit and rest for a while as they make their way to a cafe, why does Bernard leave his side?
4. What does Jeremy ask Bernard when he speaks of June and Bernard's love for one another?
5. How does Bernard react to Jeremy's knowledge of where they had met the women who helped Bernard get to a taxi?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)