|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Bernard accuses June of having left the Party years before he did, but for a different reason. What was her reason, according to Bernard?
(a) She converted to Stalinism.
(b) June saw a tragic flaw in Communism and became an atheist.
(c) June wanted to trade that utopian ideal for another.
(d) June wanted to be as different from Bernard as she could be.
2. When Jeremy asks Bernard if he wants to sit and rest for a while as they make their way to a cafe, why does Bernard leave his side?
(a) To make a speech about Communism's fall to small crowd.
(b) To go towards a man with a Communist flag who is holding up traffic.
(c) To chat with the American soldiers.
(d) To hurry towards the cafe on his own.
3. Upon Jeremy's return to the hotel after his walk to the dolmen, what does he overhear in the kitchen?
(a) The owners arguing over him.
(b) Talk of the lack of food for the evening's dinner.
(c) A drunken brawl.
(d) A love spat between a husband and wife.
4. Why is Part Two titled, "Berlin"?
(a) Bernard talks mostly about how communism began in Berlin.
(b) June died in Berlin.
(c) Jeremy and Bernard go to see the Berlin wall come down.
(d) Jeremy focuses on his first meeting with Jenny in Berlin.
5. What deformity did Jenny have at birth?
(a) A sixth finger on one hand.
(b) A dent in her forehead.
(c) One toe missing on her right foot.
(d) A cleft mouth.
6. What does Jeremy discover on the switchboard cover in the bergerie?
(a) A scorpion.
(b) A cockroach.
(c) A black widow spider.
(d) A snake.
7. How did Jenny astound Jeremy within the second week of meeting him at the convention?
(a) She kissed him in front of all the men "in the race".
(b) She asked him to go with her to Lublin.
(c) She told him she wanted to marry him one day.
(d) She spit into his face for no reason.
8. What does Bernard tell Jeremy they are standing near when they come upon a very large hole?
(a) The Nazi Party's last battle with the enemy.
(b) An old Gestapo headquarters.
(c) Hitler's bunker.
(d) A mass grave site for Russian soldiers.
9. When Jeremy, in Part Two, tells Bernard what June spoke about in a personal way about the two of them, how does Bernard react?
(a) He laughs and says it was just like her to say that.
(b) He begins to cry.
(c) He is angry and says she got an important detail wrong.
(d) He turns on his heel and leaves Jeremy without a word.
10. What are Jeremy and Bernard walking towards in Part Two to get to a better section of the Wall?
(a) The East Berlin police headquarters.
(b) Checkpoint Charlie.
(c) The Brandenburg Gate.
(d) Towards the media trucks.
11. What is the name of the woman in the crowd who Bernard notes looks a little bit like June?
12. What does Jeremy do with the father who had been eating dinner with his family?
(a) He only stares at him.
(b) He punches and kicks him.
(c) He gives him a lecture about children.
(d) He has a pleasant conversation about the dolmen with him.
13. How does Bernard refer to June's preoccupation with the spiritual world in Part Two?
(c) Born Again Christianity.
(d) New Agism.
14. How does Jenny react when Jeremy tells her that he thinks he is going mad with listening to these conversations in his head?
(a) She cries.
(b) She lets him know that he asked for it.
(c) She tells him to rush to a hospital.
(d) She implies that she will rush over to be with him.
15. What happens to Bernard when a group of teenagers approach him at the Berlin Wall?
(a) He gets kicked in the shin and falls down.
(b) He is beaten to death.
(c) He is called names and becomes embarassed.
(d) He is dragged through the streets by his legs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the boy having dinner at the hotel?
2. After Jenny and Jeremy visited Majdanek, how long was it before they spoke to one another?
3. Bernard quotes some lines attributed to Isaiah Berlin to Jeremy. What are they about?
4. What is it about a small boy dining at the hotel that touches Jeremy?
5. When Bernard finally thanks the person who saved him from the teenagers, how does he do it?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)