|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the father of the small boy at dinner lights a cigarette, why does that give Jeremy a tiny bit of relief?
(a) The man's hands are a little shaky.
(b) He hopes he can borrow a cigarette from him.
(c) The cigarette will not light.
(d) He knows the man will not bother him.
2. Where does Jeremy stop for a beer while walking through St. Maurice?
(a) The hotel where June and Bernard honeymooned.
(b) At a farm, La Prunarede.
(c) In a bar in the next town over.
(d) In the woods.
3. In Part Two when Bernard questions Jeremy about what June spoke of when they discussed the memoir, what does he ask?
(a) If she spoke about their lives in a very personal way.
(b) Whether religion was something she really believed in.
(c) If she had turned back to Communism in the end.
(d) How she felt about dying alone.
4. When Jeremy speaks to the father eating dinner in the hotel, what grammatical error does he make?
(a) He calls the man a woman.
(b) He leaves verbs out of his sentence.
(c) He speaks in the familiar rather than the more formal way.
(d) He says "my" instead of "your" jaw.
5. When do Jenny and Jeremy end up getting married?
(a) The day after their first excursion together.
(b) They never actually marry.
(c) Three years after meeting.
(d) Ten months after they first meet.
6. What time of day does Jeremy return to the bergerie?
(c) Early morning.
7. How does Jenny react when Jeremy tells her that he thinks he is going mad with listening to these conversations in his head?
(a) She tells him to rush to a hospital.
(b) She cries.
(c) She implies that she will rush over to be with him.
(d) She lets him know that he asked for it.
8. While Jeremy is eating dinner at the hotel, who are the other guests in the dining room with him?
(a) A small family and a lone woman.
(b) A large Italian family.
(c) A lone woman and a little boy.
(d) One other man and a small family.
9. When Bernard talks about June's wanting to living apart from him in Part Two, what does he refer to himself as?
(a) A thing she toyed with.
(b) Her experiment.
(c) One of her eggs.
(d) Her magical fantasy.
10. How long did Bernard stay in the Communist Party?
(a) Thirty years.
(b) Ten years.
(c) Twenty years.
(d) All his life so far.
11. What is the name of the woman in the crowd who Bernard notes looks a little bit like June?
12. At the cultural convention where Jeremy first met Jenny, why were the men "in a race" to get to Jenny first?
(a) She flirted with all of the men there.
(b) She was pretty, extremely fun to be with, and outgoing.
(c) She was beautiful, the only woman there, and very distant towards them.
(d) She was the prettiest woman out of the five other women there.
13. What deformity did Jenny have at birth?
(a) One toe missing on her right foot.
(b) A sixth finger on one hand.
(c) A dent in her forehead.
(d) A cleft mouth.
14. Why was Jeremy hesitant to visit Majdanek?
(a) He had been to Belsen once and that was enough for him.
(b) He was reluctant to spend the money.
(c) He did not have the time.
(d) He did not understand why anyone would go there.
15. How does Bernard refer to June's preoccupation with the spiritual world in Part Two?
(a) New Agism.
(d) Born Again Christianity.
Short Answer Questions
1. About how many people have gathered to watch the Berlin Wall fall in Part Two?
2. When Bernard finally thanks the person who saved him from the teenagers, how does he do it?
3. Who calls Jeremy late at night to give him news of Berlin?
4. Why won't Bernard make conversation with the taxi driver who takes him to the airport?
5. What does Jeremy discover on the switchboard cover in the bergerie?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)