|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jeremy ask Bernard when he speaks of June and Bernard's love for one another?
(a) Did you know Jenny hated you both?
(b) How could you waste so much time?
(c) Why would you never get a divorce and end it?
(d) How many other lovers did you have?
2. Why is Part Two titled, "Berlin"?
(a) Bernard talks mostly about how communism began in Berlin.
(b) Jeremy focuses on his first meeting with Jenny in Berlin.
(c) Jeremy and Bernard go to see the Berlin wall come down.
(d) June died in Berlin.
3. When does Jeremy state he intended to originally end the memoir he is writing?
(a) After he gets up to leave the dolmen, taking a different path than his in-laws did.
(b) At the point where he marries Jenny.
(c) When he realizes that June and Bernard would never reconcile.
(d) After his visit to a concentration camp.
4. Upon Jeremy's return to the hotel after his walk to the dolmen, what does he overhear in the kitchen?
(a) Talk of the lack of food for the evening's dinner.
(b) A drunken brawl.
(c) The owners arguing over him.
(d) A love spat between a husband and wife.
5. Where do Jeremy and the father in the hotel restaurant go after speaking?
(c) Back to their tables.
(d) To the kitchen.
6. When Bernard finally thanks the person who saved him from the teenagers, how does he do it?
(a) He offers her money as a thank you gift.
(b) He only smiles.
(c) He kisses her hand in thanks.
(d) He thanks her without looking at her face.
7. What are Jeremy and Bernard walking towards in Part Two to get to a better section of the Wall?
(a) Towards the media trucks.
(b) The East Berlin police headquarters.
(c) The Brandenburg Gate.
(d) Checkpoint Charlie.
8. Who holds the little boy who fell to the floor?
(a) The woman from Paris.
(b) Mme. Auriac.
(c) The waitress.
(d) The cook.
9. Why was Jeremy hesitant to visit Majdanek?
(a) He did not understand why anyone would go there.
(b) He did not have the time.
(c) He was reluctant to spend the money.
(d) He had been to Belsen once and that was enough for him.
10. How long did Bernard stay in the Communist Party?
(a) All his life so far.
(b) Ten years.
(c) Thirty years.
(d) Twenty years.
11. Where did Jenny want to go while at the convention?
(b) To Krakow.
(c) To the movie theatre.
(d) To a concentration camp.
12. When Bernard talks about June's wanting to living apart from him in Part Two, what does he refer to himself as?
(a) Her experiment.
(b) One of her eggs.
(c) A thing she toyed with.
(d) Her magical fantasy.
13. When Jeremy, in Part Two, tells Bernard what June spoke about in a personal way about the two of them, how does Bernard react?
(a) He is angry and says she got an important detail wrong.
(b) He turns on his heel and leaves Jeremy without a word.
(c) He begins to cry.
(d) He laughs and says it was just like her to say that.
14. What time of day does Jeremy return to the bergerie?
(d) Early morning.
15. What is the name of the woman in the crowd who Bernard notes looks a little bit like June?
Short Answer Questions
1. When do Jenny and Jeremy end up getting married?
2. Where does Jeremy stop for a beer while walking through St. Maurice?
3. What did the sign posted outside of Majdanek's main entrance not mention?
4. Why does Bernard stare at girls on the street?
5. What does June tell Bernard shortly after they are married and Bernard kills an insect?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)