|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About how many people have gathered to watch the Berlin Wall fall in Part Two?
2. When do Jenny and Jeremy end up getting married?
(a) The day after their first excursion together.
(b) Three years after meeting.
(c) They never actually marry.
(d) Ten months after they first meet.
3. Where did Jeremy and Jenny first meet?
(a) In Brussels.
(b) In Poland.
(c) In England.
(d) In France.
4. Who calls Jeremy late at night to give him news of Berlin?
5. What finally drew Bernard away from the Communist Party?
(a) June did.
(b) The difficulty in traveling to Russia.
(c) The contradictions between the reality and the fantasy of it.
(d) The Cold War.
6. How did Jenny astound Jeremy within the second week of meeting him at the convention?
(a) She asked him to go with her to Lublin.
(b) She told him she wanted to marry him one day.
(c) She kissed him in front of all the men "in the race".
(d) She spit into his face for no reason.
7. Why is Part Two titled, "Berlin"?
(a) Bernard talks mostly about how communism began in Berlin.
(b) Jeremy and Bernard go to see the Berlin wall come down.
(c) Jeremy focuses on his first meeting with Jenny in Berlin.
(d) June died in Berlin.
8. What were Bernard's feelings about June's commitment to the Communist Party after the incident with the insect in Part Two?
(a) That she had only pretended to believe in it all along.
(b) That she had her own strange ideas and might not stick with it.
(c) He saw her leaning toward the defunct Nazi Party.
(d) That she was more committed than he was.
9. Bernard accuses June of having left the Party years before he did, but for a different reason. What was her reason, according to Bernard?
(a) June wanted to trade that utopian ideal for another.
(b) June saw a tragic flaw in Communism and became an atheist.
(c) June wanted to be as different from Bernard as she could be.
(d) She converted to Stalinism.
10. When Jeremy speaks to the father eating dinner in the hotel, what grammatical error does he make?
(a) He leaves verbs out of his sentence.
(b) He calls the man a woman.
(c) He says "my" instead of "your" jaw.
(d) He speaks in the familiar rather than the more formal way.
11. Why was Jeremy hesitant to visit Majdanek?
(a) He was reluctant to spend the money.
(b) He had been to Belsen once and that was enough for him.
(c) He did not understand why anyone would go there.
(d) He did not have the time.
12. Who holds the little boy who fell to the floor?
(a) The cook.
(b) Mme. Auriac.
(c) The woman from Paris.
(d) The waitress.
13. Jeremy hears a running conversation in his head while in the bergerie, alone. Who is talking in his head?
(a) June and Bernard.
(b) Jenny and he.
(c) Sally and Jean.
(d) June and Jenny.
14. What does Mme. Auriac give to Jeremy while waiting for the police to arrive?
(a) Ice cream.
(b) A cognac.
(c) His dessert.
(d) A kiss on the cheek.
15. Why was Jeremy unable to eat his breakfast at the convention where he met Jenny?
(a) He could not bare to see Jenny at breakfast so he skipped it.
(b) He found her distant and annoying at the breakfast table.
(c) At first sight of her at breakfast, he became lovesick and lost his appetite.
(d) He threw up every time he ran into Jenny so he stopped eating.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what way did Jeremy realize he had heard of Jenny's father, Bernard Tremaine?
2. What does Mme. Auriac give the little boy who got hurt?
3. In Part Two, what does Bernard say he misses most about June?
4. What is the name of the Hotel des Tilleuls' owner?
5. In Part Two, Bernard and Jeremy see a deserted watchtower over sand that conceal land mines. What do they see there?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)