|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Jeremy, in Part Two, tells Bernard what June spoke about in a personal way about the two of them, how does Bernard react?
(a) He is angry and says she got an important detail wrong.
(b) He turns on his heel and leaves Jeremy without a word.
(c) He begins to cry.
(d) He laughs and says it was just like her to say that.
2. In Part Three of the book, Jeremy asks Bernard to tell him the details of a story. Which story is that?
(a) The truth behind Bernard's injured leg.
(b) The story of Hitler's invasion of France.
(c) The Maire's story about the dogs.
(d) How June acted in the Hotel des Tilleuls.
3. When Bernard finally thanks the person who saved him from the teenagers, how does he do it?
(a) He only smiles.
(b) He thanks her without looking at her face.
(c) He offers her money as a thank you gift.
(d) He kisses her hand in thanks.
4. When Jeremy tries to get some words in edgewise during the conversation he is overhearing, what do the voices do?
(a) They completely ignore him.
(b) There is violent yelling.
(c) They stop completely.
(d) They are silent for a few moments.
5. While Jeremy is eating dinner at the hotel, who are the other guests in the dining room with him?
(a) A large Italian family.
(b) A lone woman and a little boy.
(c) One other man and a small family.
(d) A small family and a lone woman.
6. Why won't Bernard make conversation with the taxi driver who takes him to the airport?
(a) He does not speak French.
(b) Bernard is afraid the argument will get violent.
(c) Bernard does not want to pay the fare.
(d) He is too "real" and "common" for Bernard to deal with.
7. What are Jeremy and Bernard walking towards in Part Two to get to a better section of the Wall?
(a) The East Berlin police headquarters.
(b) Towards the media trucks.
(c) Checkpoint Charlie.
(d) The Brandenburg Gate.
8. Jeremy believes the man in the crowd holding a Communist flag is of a certain nationality. What is it?
9. What is the name of the Hotel des Tilleuls' owner?
(a) Francois Gauloises.
(b) Danielle Bertrand.
(c) Monique Auriac.
(d) Maurice Navacelles.
10. When a group of teenagers surround Bernard, what does he tell them?
(a) To explain their tatoos.
(b) To march with the crowd.
(c) To take pity on him.
(d) To take off and leave.
11. What were Bernard's feelings about June's commitment to the Communist Party after the incident with the insect in Part Two?
(a) That she had her own strange ideas and might not stick with it.
(b) That she had only pretended to believe in it all along.
(c) He saw her leaning toward the defunct Nazi Party.
(d) That she was more committed than he was.
12. What symbol do some of the teenage boys who harass Bernard have on their selves?
(a) Sickle and hammers.
(b) Skull and crossbones.
(d) Peace signs.
13. When Bernard talks about June's wanting to living apart from him in Part Two, what does he refer to himself as?
(a) Her experiment.
(b) A thing she toyed with.
(c) Her magical fantasy.
(d) One of her eggs.
14. Who holds the little boy who fell to the floor?
(a) Mme. Auriac.
(b) The waitress.
(c) The cook.
(d) The woman from Paris.
15. How does Jenny react when Jeremy tells her that he thinks he is going mad with listening to these conversations in his head?
(a) She tells him to rush to a hospital.
(b) She cries.
(c) She lets him know that he asked for it.
(d) She implies that she will rush over to be with him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the sign posted outside of Majdanek's main entrance not mention?
2. When Bernard and Jeremy are at the Berlin Wall, why are some of the crowd watching and listening to them both?
3. What deformity did Jenny have at birth?
4. Upon Jeremy's return to the hotel after his walk to the dolmen, what does he overhear in the kitchen?
5. What finally drew Bernard away from the Communist Party?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)