|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When a group of teenagers surround Bernard, what does he tell them?
(a) To explain their tatoos.
(b) To march with the crowd.
(c) To take off and leave.
(d) To take pity on him.
2. In what way did Jeremy realize he had heard of Jenny's father, Bernard Tremaine?
(a) From television talk shows.
(b) From radio programs and his biography of Nasser.
(c) He had read his autobiography.
(d) From a chance meeting at an airport.
3. In Part Three of the book, Jeremy asks Bernard to tell him the details of a story. Which story is that?
(a) The truth behind Bernard's injured leg.
(b) The Maire's story about the dogs.
(c) The story of Hitler's invasion of France.
(d) How June acted in the Hotel des Tilleuls.
4. What did the sign posted outside of Majdanek's main entrance not mention?
(a) Black dogs were once there.
(b) Americans had died there.
(c) That Jews had died there.
(d) It was once a concentration camp.
5. Why was Jeremy unable to eat his breakfast at the convention where he met Jenny?
(a) He threw up every time he ran into Jenny so he stopped eating.
(b) He found her distant and annoying at the breakfast table.
(c) At first sight of her at breakfast, he became lovesick and lost his appetite.
(d) He could not bare to see Jenny at breakfast so he skipped it.
6. When Bernard talks about June's wanting to living apart from him in Part Two, what does he refer to himself as?
(a) Her experiment.
(b) A thing she toyed with.
(c) Her magical fantasy.
(d) One of her eggs.
7. Where does Jeremy realize he and Bernard had seen the woman and her friend who helps them to a taxi?
(a) At the Brandenburg Gate.
(b) In London years ago.
(c) As part of the group of teenagers.
(d) At the Dolmen.
8. Who calls Jeremy late at night to give him news of Berlin?
9. What does Jeremy do in Lublin that is so uncharacteristic of him?
(a) He asks Jenny to marry him on the spot.
(b) He shouts to the people around him that he is in love.
(c) He gets very drunk and passes out.
(d) He kisses Jenny spontaneously and professes his love.
10. What does Jenny tell Jeremy when he asks why she mentioned black dogs earlier?
(a) That it is a family phrase.
(b) That it was a dream she had.
(c) That she had read it somewhere.
(d) That she cannot talk about it.
11. What are Jeremy and Bernard walking towards in Part Two to get to a better section of the Wall?
(a) Checkpoint Charlie.
(b) The Brandenburg Gate.
(c) Towards the media trucks.
(d) The East Berlin police headquarters.
12. What does Bernard tell Jeremy they are standing near when they come upon a very large hole?
(a) The Nazi Party's last battle with the enemy.
(b) An old Gestapo headquarters.
(c) Hitler's bunker.
(d) A mass grave site for Russian soldiers.
13. Who holds the little boy who fell to the floor?
(a) Mme. Auriac.
(b) The cook.
(c) The woman from Paris.
(d) The waitress.
14. In Part Two, what news does Bernard have when he calls Jeremy and Jenny at home?
(a) The Berlin Wall is coming down.
(b) He is leaving for a vacation in Germany.
(c) He is very ill and may be dying.
(d) He was getting remarried soon.
15. After Jenny and Jeremy visited Majdanek, how long was it before they spoke to one another?
(a) 24 hours.
(b) Two days.
(c) Five minutes.
(d) An hour.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did Bernard stay in the Communist Party?
2. Why was Jeremy hesitant to visit Majdanek?
3. In Part Two, what does Bernard say he misses most about June?
4. Why is Part Two titled, "Berlin"?
5. When Jeremy asks Bernard if he wants to sit and rest for a while as they make their way to a cafe, why does Bernard leave his side?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)