|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who calls Jeremy late at night to give him news of Berlin?
2. Where does Jeremy stop for a beer while walking through St. Maurice?
(a) In a bar in the next town over.
(b) The hotel where June and Bernard honeymooned.
(c) In the woods.
(d) At a farm, La Prunarede.
3. When do Jenny and Jeremy end up getting married?
(a) They never actually marry.
(b) The day after their first excursion together.
(c) Three years after meeting.
(d) Ten months after they first meet.
4. What does Jeremy discover on the switchboard cover in the bergerie?
(a) A black widow spider.
(b) A cockroach.
(c) A scorpion.
(d) A snake.
5. Upon Jeremy's return to the hotel after his walk to the dolmen, what does he overhear in the kitchen?
(a) The owners arguing over him.
(b) Talk of the lack of food for the evening's dinner.
(c) A drunken brawl.
(d) A love spat between a husband and wife.
6. When Bernard and Jeremy look out over the border and the Wall from an observation stand in Part Two, what one word does Jeremy have to say?
7. What feeling does Jeremy get when he enters the family chalet?
(a) He feels uneasy, as though he is being watched.
(b) He is depressed.
(c) He is filled with peace at being there.
(d) He is overcome with exhaustion.
8. Why was Jeremy unable to eat his breakfast at the convention where he met Jenny?
(a) He found her distant and annoying at the breakfast table.
(b) He threw up every time he ran into Jenny so he stopped eating.
(c) At first sight of her at breakfast, he became lovesick and lost his appetite.
(d) He could not bare to see Jenny at breakfast so he skipped it.
9. What does Bernard tell Jeremy they are standing near when they come upon a very large hole?
(a) A mass grave site for Russian soldiers.
(b) The Nazi Party's last battle with the enemy.
(c) Hitler's bunker.
(d) An old Gestapo headquarters.
10. When Jeremy asks Bernard if he wants to sit and rest for a while as they make their way to a cafe, why does Bernard leave his side?
(a) To make a speech about Communism's fall to small crowd.
(b) To go towards a man with a Communist flag who is holding up traffic.
(c) To hurry towards the cafe on his own.
(d) To chat with the American soldiers.
11. When Jeremy tries to get some words in edgewise during the conversation he is overhearing, what do the voices do?
(a) They completely ignore him.
(b) They stop completely.
(c) There is violent yelling.
(d) They are silent for a few moments.
12. When Jeremy speaks to the father eating dinner in the hotel, what grammatical error does he make?
(a) He calls the man a woman.
(b) He says "my" instead of "your" jaw.
(c) He leaves verbs out of his sentence.
(d) He speaks in the familiar rather than the more formal way.
13. Where does Jeremy realize he and Bernard had seen the woman and her friend who helps them to a taxi?
(a) At the Dolmen.
(b) As part of the group of teenagers.
(c) In London years ago.
(d) At the Brandenburg Gate.
14. How long did Bernard stay in the Communist Party?
(a) Thirty years.
(b) All his life so far.
(c) Ten years.
(d) Twenty years.
15. What does Jeremy do with the father who had been eating dinner with his family?
(a) He only stares at him.
(b) He has a pleasant conversation about the dolmen with him.
(c) He gives him a lecture about children.
(d) He punches and kicks him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What finally drew Bernard away from the Communist Party?
2. Why won't Bernard make conversation with the taxi driver who takes him to the airport?
3. In Part Two, what news does Bernard have when he calls Jeremy and Jenny at home?
4. While Jeremy is eating dinner at the hotel, who are the other guests in the dining room with him?
5. What did the sign posted outside of Majdanek's main entrance not mention?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)