|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What symbol do some of the teenage boys who harass Bernard have on their selves?
(a) Peace signs.
(c) Skull and crossbones.
(d) Sickle and hammers.
2. Upon Jeremy's return to the hotel after his walk to the dolmen, what does he overhear in the kitchen?
(a) A love spat between a husband and wife.
(b) Talk of the lack of food for the evening's dinner.
(c) The owners arguing over him.
(d) A drunken brawl.
3. Where does Jeremy stop for a beer while walking through St. Maurice?
(a) In the woods.
(b) At a farm, La Prunarede.
(c) In a bar in the next town over.
(d) The hotel where June and Bernard honeymooned.
4. What does June tell Bernard shortly after they are married and Bernard kills an insect?
(a) That she is pregnant.
(b) She now hates him.
(c) That he is a brilliant man of science.
(d) She wants an annulment.
5. What finally drew Bernard away from the Communist Party?
(a) The Cold War.
(b) The difficulty in traveling to Russia.
(c) June did.
(d) The contradictions between the reality and the fantasy of it.
6. What were Bernard's feelings about June's commitment to the Communist Party after the incident with the insect in Part Two?
(a) He saw her leaning toward the defunct Nazi Party.
(b) That she had only pretended to believe in it all along.
(c) That she was more committed than he was.
(d) That she had her own strange ideas and might not stick with it.
7. Where did Jeremy and Jenny first meet?
(a) In Poland.
(b) In Brussels.
(c) In France.
(d) In England.
8. Who ends up saving Bernard from the teenagers?
(a) An East German policeman.
(b) A West German policeman.
(c) A young woman who yells at them.
9. What does Jeremy ask Bernard when he speaks of June and Bernard's love for one another?
(a) Did you know Jenny hated you both?
(b) How many other lovers did you have?
(c) Why would you never get a divorce and end it?
(d) How could you waste so much time?
10. When the father of the small boy at dinner lights a cigarette, why does that give Jeremy a tiny bit of relief?
(a) He knows the man will not bother him.
(b) He hopes he can borrow a cigarette from him.
(c) The cigarette will not light.
(d) The man's hands are a little shaky.
11. When the teenagers take their leave, how do they do it without losing face?
(a) They walk away slowly and pretend they are bored.
(b) One of them gives Bernard a punch in the stomach before leaving.
(c) They spit and curse at the crowd.
(d) They shoot a gun in the air.
12. In what way did Jeremy realize he had heard of Jenny's father, Bernard Tremaine?
(a) He had read his autobiography.
(b) From radio programs and his biography of Nasser.
(c) From a chance meeting at an airport.
(d) From television talk shows.
13. When Jeremy tries to get some words in edgewise during the conversation he is overhearing, what do the voices do?
(a) They stop completely.
(b) They completely ignore him.
(c) There is violent yelling.
(d) They are silent for a few moments.
14. When Bernard finally thanks the person who saved him from the teenagers, how does he do it?
(a) He offers her money as a thank you gift.
(b) He kisses her hand in thanks.
(c) He thanks her without looking at her face.
(d) He only smiles.
15. When a group of teenagers surround Bernard, what does he tell them?
(a) To take pity on him.
(b) To march with the crowd.
(c) To explain their tatoos.
(d) To take off and leave.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Jenny astound Jeremy within the second week of meeting him at the convention?
2. How does Bernard react to Jeremy's knowledge of where they had met the women who helped Bernard get to a taxi?
3. Jeremy believes the man in the crowd holding a Communist flag is of a certain nationality. What is it?
4. In Part Three of the book, Jeremy asks Bernard to tell him the details of a story. Which story is that?
5. Why was Jeremy hesitant to visit Majdanek?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)