|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Upon Jeremy's return to the hotel after his walk to the dolmen, what does he overhear in the kitchen?
(a) Talk of the lack of food for the evening's dinner.
(b) A drunken brawl.
(c) The owners arguing over him.
(d) A love spat between a husband and wife.
2. What does Jeremy do with the father who had been eating dinner with his family?
(a) He gives him a lecture about children.
(b) He only stares at him.
(c) He punches and kicks him.
(d) He has a pleasant conversation about the dolmen with him.
3. In Part Two when Bernard questions Jeremy about what June spoke of when they discussed the memoir, what does he ask?
(a) If she had turned back to Communism in the end.
(b) How she felt about dying alone.
(c) Whether religion was something she really believed in.
(d) If she spoke about their lives in a very personal way.
4. How long did Bernard stay in the Communist Party?
(a) Twenty years.
(b) Thirty years.
(c) All his life so far.
(d) Ten years.
5. When the teenagers take their leave, how do they do it without losing face?
(a) One of them gives Bernard a punch in the stomach before leaving.
(b) They spit and curse at the crowd.
(c) They walk away slowly and pretend they are bored.
(d) They shoot a gun in the air.
6. After Jenny and Jeremy visited Majdanek, how long was it before they spoke to one another?
(a) Five minutes.
(b) Two days.
(c) 24 hours.
(d) An hour.
7. When do Jenny and Jeremy end up getting married?
(a) They never actually marry.
(b) Three years after meeting.
(c) The day after their first excursion together.
(d) Ten months after they first meet.
8. Where do Jeremy and the father in the hotel restaurant go after speaking?
(a) To the kitchen.
(c) Back to their tables.
9. Where did Jenny want to go while at the convention?
(a) To the movie theatre.
(b) To a concentration camp.
(c) To Krakow.
10. When a group of teenagers surround Bernard, what does he tell them?
(a) To march with the crowd.
(b) To take pity on him.
(c) To take off and leave.
(d) To explain their tatoos.
11. In Part Two, Bernard and Jeremy see a deserted watchtower over sand that conceal land mines. What do they see there?
(a) Nothing but memories.
(c) A child running.
12. When Bernard finally thanks the person who saved him from the teenagers, how does he do it?
(a) He only smiles.
(b) He kisses her hand in thanks.
(c) He offers her money as a thank you gift.
(d) He thanks her without looking at her face.
13. What does Mme. Auriac give the little boy who got hurt?
(a) A cold soda.
(b) Ice cream.
(d) An ice pack.
14. Who ends up saving Bernard from the teenagers?
(a) A young woman who yells at them.
(b) An East German policeman.
(c) A West German policeman.
15. What time of day does Jeremy return to the bergerie?
(d) Early morning.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Jeremy hesitant to visit Majdanek?
2. What happens to Bernard when a group of teenagers approach him at the Berlin Wall?
3. When Bernard and Jeremy look out over the border and the Wall from an observation stand in Part Two, what one word does Jeremy have to say?
4. When Jeremy asks Bernard if he wants to sit and rest for a while as they make their way to a cafe, why does Bernard leave his side?
5. When Jeremy, in Part Two, tells Bernard what June spoke about in a personal way about the two of them, how does Bernard react?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)