|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Jeremy state he intended to originally end the memoir he is writing?
(a) After he gets up to leave the dolmen, taking a different path than his in-laws did.
(b) At the point where he marries Jenny.
(c) When he realizes that June and Bernard would never reconcile.
(d) After his visit to a concentration camp.
2. What symbol do some of the teenage boys who harass Bernard have on their selves?
(b) Peace signs.
(c) Skull and crossbones.
(d) Sickle and hammers.
3. What does Mme. Auriac give to Jeremy while waiting for the police to arrive?
(a) Ice cream.
(b) A cognac.
(c) His dessert.
(d) A kiss on the cheek.
4. What was Jeremy's reason for his five hour walk to the dolmen?
(a) To recreate Bernard and June's love before their big quarrel began.
(b) To exercise in a spot he knew well.
(c) To consider his relationship with Jenny.
(d) To allign himself with nature the way June and Bernard once did.
5. What does Jeremy ask Bernard when he speaks of June and Bernard's love for one another?
(a) How many other lovers did you have?
(b) Did you know Jenny hated you both?
(c) How could you waste so much time?
(d) Why would you never get a divorce and end it?
6. What happens to Bernard when a group of teenagers approach him at the Berlin Wall?
(a) He is called names and becomes embarassed.
(b) He is dragged through the streets by his legs.
(c) He is beaten to death.
(d) He gets kicked in the shin and falls down.
7. What does Bernard tell Jeremy they are standing near when they come upon a very large hole?
(a) The Nazi Party's last battle with the enemy.
(b) A mass grave site for Russian soldiers.
(c) An old Gestapo headquarters.
(d) Hitler's bunker.
8. What does Jeremy do with the father who had been eating dinner with his family?
(a) He gives him a lecture about children.
(b) He has a pleasant conversation about the dolmen with him.
(c) He punches and kicks him.
(d) He only stares at him.
9. After Jenny and Jeremy visited Majdanek, how long was it before they spoke to one another?
(a) 24 hours.
(b) Two days.
(c) An hour.
(d) Five minutes.
10. When Jeremy asks Bernard if he wants to sit and rest for a while as they make their way to a cafe, why does Bernard leave his side?
(a) To chat with the American soldiers.
(b) To hurry towards the cafe on his own.
(c) To make a speech about Communism's fall to small crowd.
(d) To go towards a man with a Communist flag who is holding up traffic.
11. Where does Jeremy realize he and Bernard had seen the woman and her friend who helps them to a taxi?
(a) At the Dolmen.
(b) At the Brandenburg Gate.
(c) As part of the group of teenagers.
(d) In London years ago.
12. What feeling does Jeremy get when he enters the family chalet?
(a) He is depressed.
(b) He feels uneasy, as though he is being watched.
(c) He is filled with peace at being there.
(d) He is overcome with exhaustion.
13. In what way did Jeremy realize he had heard of Jenny's father, Bernard Tremaine?
(a) From radio programs and his biography of Nasser.
(b) From a chance meeting at an airport.
(c) He had read his autobiography.
(d) From television talk shows.
14. What does Mme. Auriac give the little boy who got hurt?
(a) An ice pack.
(c) A cold soda.
(d) Ice cream.
15. How did Jenny astound Jeremy within the second week of meeting him at the convention?
(a) She asked him to go with her to Lublin.
(b) She spit into his face for no reason.
(c) She told him she wanted to marry him one day.
(d) She kissed him in front of all the men "in the race".
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part Three of the book, Jeremy asks Bernard to tell him the details of a story. Which story is that?
2. What does Jeremy do in Lublin that is so uncharacteristic of him?
3. Why won't Bernard make conversation with the taxi driver who takes him to the airport?
4. Who holds the little boy who fell to the floor?
5. What is it about a small boy dining at the hotel that touches Jeremy?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)