|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What symbol do some of the teenage boys who harass Bernard have on their selves?
(b) Peace signs.
(c) Skull and crossbones.
(d) Sickle and hammers.
2. What is it about a small boy dining at the hotel that touches Jeremy?
(a) The boy's friendliless towards everyone.
(b) The boy is very obedient to his family.
(c) Jeremy has a grown-up conversation with him.
(d) He feels the boy's loneliness.
3. What were Bernard's feelings about June's commitment to the Communist Party after the incident with the insect in Part Two?
(a) That she had only pretended to believe in it all along.
(b) He saw her leaning toward the defunct Nazi Party.
(c) That she was more committed than he was.
(d) That she had her own strange ideas and might not stick with it.
4. How did Jenny astound Jeremy within the second week of meeting him at the convention?
(a) She kissed him in front of all the men "in the race".
(b) She told him she wanted to marry him one day.
(c) She asked him to go with her to Lublin.
(d) She spit into his face for no reason.
5. When Jeremy, in Part Two, tells Bernard what June spoke about in a personal way about the two of them, how does Bernard react?
(a) He turns on his heel and leaves Jeremy without a word.
(b) He laughs and says it was just like her to say that.
(c) He begins to cry.
(d) He is angry and says she got an important detail wrong.
6. What happens to Bernard when a group of teenagers approach him at the Berlin Wall?
(a) He is dragged through the streets by his legs.
(b) He gets kicked in the shin and falls down.
(c) He is beaten to death.
(d) He is called names and becomes embarassed.
7. What was Jeremy's reason for his five hour walk to the dolmen?
(a) To consider his relationship with Jenny.
(b) To recreate Bernard and June's love before their big quarrel began.
(c) To exercise in a spot he knew well.
(d) To allign himself with nature the way June and Bernard once did.
8. How does Jenny react when Jeremy tells her that he thinks he is going mad with listening to these conversations in his head?
(a) She cries.
(b) She lets him know that he asked for it.
(c) She implies that she will rush over to be with him.
(d) She tells him to rush to a hospital.
9. What does Jenny tell Jeremy when he asks why she mentioned black dogs earlier?
(a) That it was a dream she had.
(b) That it is a family phrase.
(c) That she cannot talk about it.
(d) That she had read it somewhere.
10. At the cultural convention where Jeremy first met Jenny, why were the men "in a race" to get to Jenny first?
(a) She was beautiful, the only woman there, and very distant towards them.
(b) She was pretty, extremely fun to be with, and outgoing.
(c) She flirted with all of the men there.
(d) She was the prettiest woman out of the five other women there.
11. What finally drew Bernard away from the Communist Party?
(a) The Cold War.
(b) June did.
(c) The difficulty in traveling to Russia.
(d) The contradictions between the reality and the fantasy of it.
12. In what way did Jeremy realize he had heard of Jenny's father, Bernard Tremaine?
(a) From television talk shows.
(b) He had read his autobiography.
(c) From a chance meeting at an airport.
(d) From radio programs and his biography of Nasser.
13. When Jeremy speaks to the father eating dinner in the hotel, what grammatical error does he make?
(a) He calls the man a woman.
(b) He speaks in the familiar rather than the more formal way.
(c) He leaves verbs out of his sentence.
(d) He says "my" instead of "your" jaw.
14. In Part Two, what does Bernard say he misses most about June?
(a) Her ability to cope with stress.
(b) Her carefree spirit.
(c) Her laughter.
(d) Her seriousness about life.
15. Why is Part Two titled, "Berlin"?
(a) Bernard talks mostly about how communism began in Berlin.
(b) June died in Berlin.
(c) Jeremy and Bernard go to see the Berlin wall come down.
(d) Jeremy focuses on his first meeting with Jenny in Berlin.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why won't Bernard make conversation with the taxi driver who takes him to the airport?
2. When does Jeremy state he intended to originally end the memoir he is writing?
3. Why was Jeremy hesitant to visit Majdanek?
4. Where does Jeremy stop for a beer while walking through St. Maurice?
5. Bernard accuses June of having left the Party years before he did, but for a different reason. What was her reason, according to Bernard?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)