|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Jeremy tries to get some words in edgewise during the conversation he is overhearing, what do the voices do?
(a) There is violent yelling.
(b) They are silent for a few moments.
(c) They stop completely.
(d) They completely ignore him.
2. Why won't Bernard make conversation with the taxi driver who takes him to the airport?
(a) He does not speak French.
(b) He is too "real" and "common" for Bernard to deal with.
(c) Bernard does not want to pay the fare.
(d) Bernard is afraid the argument will get violent.
3. Where does Jeremy stop for a beer while walking through St. Maurice?
(a) At a farm, La Prunarede.
(b) In a bar in the next town over.
(c) In the woods.
(d) The hotel where June and Bernard honeymooned.
4. Why was Jeremy unable to eat his breakfast at the convention where he met Jenny?
(a) He threw up every time he ran into Jenny so he stopped eating.
(b) He found her distant and annoying at the breakfast table.
(c) He could not bare to see Jenny at breakfast so he skipped it.
(d) At first sight of her at breakfast, he became lovesick and lost his appetite.
5. Where does Jeremy realize he and Bernard had seen the woman and her friend who helps them to a taxi?
(a) As part of the group of teenagers.
(b) At the Brandenburg Gate.
(c) In London years ago.
(d) At the Dolmen.
6. What was Jeremy's reason for his five hour walk to the dolmen?
(a) To recreate Bernard and June's love before their big quarrel began.
(b) To consider his relationship with Jenny.
(c) To allign himself with nature the way June and Bernard once did.
(d) To exercise in a spot he knew well.
7. After leaving Berlin and Bernard, where does Jeremy go?
(a) Home to Jenny and the chidren.
(b) To the Hotel Wisla.
(c) To the bergerie.
(d) To Potsdmerplatz.
8. What does Bernard tell Jeremy they are standing near when they come upon a very large hole?
(a) Hitler's bunker.
(b) A mass grave site for Russian soldiers.
(c) An old Gestapo headquarters.
(d) The Nazi Party's last battle with the enemy.
9. How does Bernard react to Jeremy's knowledge of where they had met the women who helped Bernard get to a taxi?
(a) He calls it a coincidence and changes the subject.
(b) He wants to track them down and get their phone numbers.
(c) With great anxiety and fear.
(d) Upset that he will not see them again.
10. When a group of teenagers surround Bernard, what does he tell them?
(a) To take off and leave.
(b) To take pity on him.
(c) To explain their tatoos.
(d) To march with the crowd.
11. What does Jeremy do with the father who had been eating dinner with his family?
(a) He only stares at him.
(b) He gives him a lecture about children.
(c) He punches and kicks him.
(d) He has a pleasant conversation about the dolmen with him.
12. What feeling does Jeremy get when he enters the family chalet?
(a) He is overcome with exhaustion.
(b) He feels uneasy, as though he is being watched.
(c) He is filled with peace at being there.
(d) He is depressed.
13. When do Jenny and Jeremy end up getting married?
(a) Three years after meeting.
(b) The day after their first excursion together.
(c) Ten months after they first meet.
(d) They never actually marry.
14. When Jenny told Jeremy she considered him a friend and touched his hand, what happened next?
(a) He told her he had a girlfriend in England.
(b) He backed away.
(c) He kissed her.
(d) He stood still, not knowing what to do.
15. When the father of the small boy at dinner lights a cigarette, why does that give Jeremy a tiny bit of relief?
(a) He hopes he can borrow a cigarette from him.
(b) The cigarette will not light.
(c) The man's hands are a little shaky.
(d) He knows the man will not bother him.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the teenagers take their leave, how do they do it without losing face?
2. What was Bernard's attitude towards the insect and, as he understands now, most things and June?
3. Who calls Jeremy late at night to give him news of Berlin?
4. What symbol do some of the teenage boys who harass Bernard have on their selves?
5. Jeremy believes the man in the crowd holding a Communist flag is of a certain nationality. What is it?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)