|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Bernard and Jeremy are at the Berlin Wall, why are some of the crowd watching and listening to them both?
(a) They are hitting one another in the arm.
(b) Bernard is crying loudly, asking for June.
(c) Jeremy is yelling at Bernard about love.
(d) Jeremy is screaming that Bernard is the father he never had.
2. How does Jenny react when Jeremy tells her that he thinks he is going mad with listening to these conversations in his head?
(a) She lets him know that he asked for it.
(b) She implies that she will rush over to be with him.
(c) She cries.
(d) She tells him to rush to a hospital.
3. Bernard quotes some lines attributed to Isaiah Berlin to Jeremy. What are they about?
(a) The fatal quality of utopia.
(b) Freedom of choice for all people.
(c) Hitler's Nazi Party.
(d) The risks of Communism.
4. In Part Two, what news does Bernard have when he calls Jeremy and Jenny at home?
(a) He is leaving for a vacation in Germany.
(b) He is very ill and may be dying.
(c) He was getting remarried soon.
(d) The Berlin Wall is coming down.
5. What were Bernard's feelings about June's commitment to the Communist Party after the incident with the insect in Part Two?
(a) That she was more committed than he was.
(b) That she had only pretended to believe in it all along.
(c) That she had her own strange ideas and might not stick with it.
(d) He saw her leaning toward the defunct Nazi Party.
6. When do Jenny and Jeremy end up getting married?
(a) Ten months after they first meet.
(b) The day after their first excursion together.
(c) They never actually marry.
(d) Three years after meeting.
7. Bernard accuses June of having left the Party years before he did, but for a different reason. What was her reason, according to Bernard?
(a) June saw a tragic flaw in Communism and became an atheist.
(b) June wanted to trade that utopian ideal for another.
(c) She converted to Stalinism.
(d) June wanted to be as different from Bernard as she could be.
8. Why is Part Two titled, "Berlin"?
(a) Bernard talks mostly about how communism began in Berlin.
(b) Jeremy and Bernard go to see the Berlin wall come down.
(c) June died in Berlin.
(d) Jeremy focuses on his first meeting with Jenny in Berlin.
9. What does Jenny tell Jeremy when he asks why she mentioned black dogs earlier?
(a) That it was a dream she had.
(b) That it is a family phrase.
(c) That she had read it somewhere.
(d) That she cannot talk about it.
10. What does Bernard tell Jeremy they are standing near when they come upon a very large hole?
(a) Hitler's bunker.
(b) The Nazi Party's last battle with the enemy.
(c) A mass grave site for Russian soldiers.
(d) An old Gestapo headquarters.
11. In what way did Jeremy realize he had heard of Jenny's father, Bernard Tremaine?
(a) From a chance meeting at an airport.
(b) From radio programs and his biography of Nasser.
(c) He had read his autobiography.
(d) From television talk shows.
12. While Jeremy is eating dinner at the hotel, who are the other guests in the dining room with him?
(a) One other man and a small family.
(b) A large Italian family.
(c) A small family and a lone woman.
(d) A lone woman and a little boy.
13. When the father of the small boy at dinner lights a cigarette, why does that give Jeremy a tiny bit of relief?
(a) The cigarette will not light.
(b) He knows the man will not bother him.
(c) He hopes he can borrow a cigarette from him.
(d) The man's hands are a little shaky.
14. What does Mme. Auriac give to Jeremy while waiting for the police to arrive?
(a) Ice cream.
(b) A kiss on the cheek.
(c) His dessert.
(d) A cognac.
15. What happens to Bernard when a group of teenagers approach him at the Berlin Wall?
(a) He is beaten to death.
(b) He gets kicked in the shin and falls down.
(c) He is called names and becomes embarassed.
(d) He is dragged through the streets by his legs.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Jeremy state he intended to originally end the memoir he is writing?
2. What does June tell Bernard shortly after they are married and Bernard kills an insect?
3. When Jeremy asks Bernard if he wants to sit and rest for a while as they make their way to a cafe, why does Bernard leave his side?
4. How does Bernard react to Jeremy's knowledge of where they had met the women who helped Bernard get to a taxi?
5. Why won't Bernard make conversation with the taxi driver who takes him to the airport?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)