|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When a group of teenagers surround Bernard, what does he tell them?
(a) To take off and leave.
(b) To march with the crowd.
(c) To explain their tatoos.
(d) To take pity on him.
2. Why is Part Two titled, "Berlin"?
(a) Bernard talks mostly about how communism began in Berlin.
(b) Jeremy focuses on his first meeting with Jenny in Berlin.
(c) June died in Berlin.
(d) Jeremy and Bernard go to see the Berlin wall come down.
3. How does Jenny react when Jeremy tells her that he thinks he is going mad with listening to these conversations in his head?
(a) She tells him to rush to a hospital.
(b) She lets him know that he asked for it.
(c) She implies that she will rush over to be with him.
(d) She cries.
4. After Jenny and Jeremy visited Majdanek, how long was it before they spoke to one another?
(a) 24 hours.
(b) An hour.
(c) Two days.
(d) Five minutes.
5. What is it about a small boy dining at the hotel that touches Jeremy?
(a) The boy's friendliless towards everyone.
(b) He feels the boy's loneliness.
(c) The boy is very obedient to his family.
(d) Jeremy has a grown-up conversation with him.
6. In what way did Jeremy realize he had heard of Jenny's father, Bernard Tremaine?
(a) From television talk shows.
(b) From a chance meeting at an airport.
(c) From radio programs and his biography of Nasser.
(d) He had read his autobiography.
7. How did Jenny astound Jeremy within the second week of meeting him at the convention?
(a) She kissed him in front of all the men "in the race".
(b) She asked him to go with her to Lublin.
(c) She spit into his face for no reason.
(d) She told him she wanted to marry him one day.
8. What are Jeremy and Bernard walking towards in Part Two to get to a better section of the Wall?
(a) The East Berlin police headquarters.
(b) The Brandenburg Gate.
(c) Checkpoint Charlie.
(d) Towards the media trucks.
9. What happens to Bernard when a group of teenagers approach him at the Berlin Wall?
(a) He is called names and becomes embarassed.
(b) He gets kicked in the shin and falls down.
(c) He is dragged through the streets by his legs.
(d) He is beaten to death.
10. While Jeremy is eating dinner at the hotel, who are the other guests in the dining room with him?
(a) One other man and a small family.
(b) A small family and a lone woman.
(c) A lone woman and a little boy.
(d) A large Italian family.
11. Where do Jeremy and the father in the hotel restaurant go after speaking?
(a) To the kitchen.
(b) Back to their tables.
12. How long did Bernard stay in the Communist Party?
(a) Twenty years.
(b) Thirty years.
(c) All his life so far.
(d) Ten years.
13. In Part Two, what news does Bernard have when he calls Jeremy and Jenny at home?
(a) He is very ill and may be dying.
(b) He was getting remarried soon.
(c) He is leaving for a vacation in Germany.
(d) The Berlin Wall is coming down.
14. What happens to the boy having dinner at the hotel?
(a) He is beaten by his father.
(b) He faints.
(c) He throws up his dinner.
(d) He is attacked by dogs.
15. When Bernard and Jeremy are at the Berlin Wall, why are some of the crowd watching and listening to them both?
(a) Bernard is crying loudly, asking for June.
(b) Jeremy is screaming that Bernard is the father he never had.
(c) Jeremy is yelling at Bernard about love.
(d) They are hitting one another in the arm.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part Two, what does Bernard say he misses most about June?
2. What does Jeremy do in Lublin that is so uncharacteristic of him?
3. What symbol do some of the teenage boys who harass Bernard have on their selves?
4. When Jenny told Jeremy she considered him a friend and touched his hand, what happened next?
5. What is the name of the woman in the crowd who Bernard notes looks a little bit like June?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)