|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What completely overshadowed Jeremy and Jenny's life until their first child was born?
(a) June's illness.
(b) Jeremy's work.
(c) Bernard's drinking.
(d) Jenny's inability to have a child.
2. How does Jeremy react to hearing June talk like a Californian professional or a dazed hippie?
(a) He asks to tape record her.
(b) He is disgusted.
(c) He wants to hear more.
(d) He is uncomfortable.
3. What is the dream that has haunted June for forty years?
(a) Dogs chasing down rabbits.
(b) Two dogs fighting with one another.
(c) Two dogs running down a path.
(d) Dogs falling from a gorge.
4. What was Bernard's profession?
(a) A politician.
(b) A veterinarian.
(c) An entomologist.
(d) A medical doctor.
5. How old is Jeremy's niece at the beginning of the story?
6. What kind of religious service is performed at June's burial?
7. In the Preface, what liberty does Jeremy report that he takes in his book?
(a) He explains his affair with another woman.
(b) He recounts certain conversations.
(c) He describes his home life with Jenny.
(d) He writes about his dead parents.
8. What does June believe she discovered after the incident with the dogs?
(a) The perfect animals.
(b) The meaning of life.
(d) Her true self.
9. Besides Communism, what is one of June's other passions as a young girl?
(a) Reading literary novels.
(b) Financial matters.
(c) The countryside.
10. What does Bernard look like?
(a) He is scrawny and plain looking.
(b) He is large with a generous face.
(c) He is obese and bald.
(d) He is bald with a goatee.
11. What did Jeremy continue to do after leaving North Oxford?
(a) Switching girlfriends.
(c) Writing to Harper.
(d) Leaving places and people.
12. What was June's basic view about life?
(a) It had a purpose.
(b) Life was random.
(c) God had no hand in it.
(d) It was best not to examine it.
13. Where did Jenny's parents live when Jeremy first met them?
(a) In the South of France.
(b) In North London.
(c) In separate countries.
(d) In Australia.
14. What was one of the reasons Jeremy did not pursue girls at the age of seventeen?
(a) He felt he was not good looking enough.
(b) He was busy with two jobs.
(c) He was not attracted to them.
(d) It would distract him from his school work.
15. What did Jeremy do for Sally?
(a) He took her away from her parents.
(b) He played with and looked after her.
(c) He gave her meals.
(d) He took her to school every day.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bernard tells people that June believes the dogs she encountered on the path were something other than just dogs. What were they?
2. What is odd about the story of how June and Bernard first met and began to date?
3. Why does Jeremy go knocking on his friend, Toby's, door?
4. At what stage was June put into the hospice?
5. What was it about the photograph of June and Bernard that Jeremy kept looking at that was so appealing to him?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)