|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Jeremy's reaction to discovering what June and Bernard's obsession together had been?
(b) He finds it difficult to imagine.
(c) He feels he knew it all the time.
2. Why was Jeremy so upset just before leaving for Oxford?
(a) He didn't think college was right for him.
(b) Harper was threatening to kill him.
(c) His bags would not fit in his friend's car.
(d) Sally was crying because he was going away.
3. What did Bernard usually do when he knew Jeremy had just been to see June?
(a) He telephoned Jeremy to ask if she'd been talking about him.
(b) He did nothing, as he did not care.
(c) He asked if June needed anything.
(d) He called Jeremy to see how ill June was.
4. In the Preface, what liberty does Jeremy report that he takes in his book?
(a) He explains his affair with another woman.
(b) He recounts certain conversations.
(c) He describes his home life with Jenny.
(d) He writes about his dead parents.
5. Besides Communism, what is one of June's other passions as a young girl?
(a) The countryside.
(b) Reading literary novels.
(d) Financial matters.
6. What is inferred in the last sentence of the Preface?
(a) Jeremy believes in ghosts and spiritualism.
(b) June and Bernard are dead.
(c) June and Bernard haunt Jeremy's home.
(d) June and Bernard never forgive Jeremy.
7. What does June believe she discovered after the incident with the dogs?
(a) Her true self.
(b) The perfect animals.
(c) The meaning of life.
8. What is happening in Jean and Harper's relationship?
(a) They are engaged.
(b) They are expecting another child.
(c) They are coming apart.
(d) They have decided to have an "open marriage".
9. Bernard leaves the grave site to walk toward a yew tree in the cemetery. What does he do there?
(a) Watches the sunset.
(b) Counts the headstones.
(d) Has a cigarette.
10. What is odd about the story of how June and Bernard first met and began to date?
(a) They each have a different story about it.
(b) They met by accident.
(c) They met on a blind date and disliked each other.
(d) June "stole" Bernard from another woman.
11. What did Jeremy think of his friends' need to disassociate themselves from their parents?
(a) They intended to become criminals.
(b) They were in a downward social spiral.
(c) They were heading for a nervous breakdown.
(d) They would never make anything of themselves.
12. According to Jeremy, looking after children is one way of what?
(a) Securing the future of the world.
(b) Getting love.
(c) Educating them.
(d) Looking after yourself.
13. To whom does Jeremy dedicate his memoir?
(a) His parents.
(b) The parents he spent many hours with.
(c) His wife, Jenny, and his niece, Sally.
(d) His niece, Sally, and his sister, Jean.
14. Why does Jeremy state that he was something of a parent at the age of seventeen?
(a) He felt older than all of his school friends.
(b) He took care of his sister's only child.
(c) He wanted to become a teacher.
(d) His girlfirend got pregnant and ran away.
15. What is it that June dreaded when thinking about marriage?
(a) Shopping for groceries.
(c) Having babies.
(d) The honeymoon.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what way were June and Bernard alike in the beginning of their relationship?
2. How did June get her doctor on her side and change the staff's attitude toward her?
3. Where did June and Bernard have their first pre-marital intimate encounter?
4. When June tells Jeremy that she and Bernard are "obsessed", to what is she referring?
5. What organization did June join when she was eighteen-years-old?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)