|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were June and Bernard doing at the time the photograph in Part One was taken?
(a) Bernard had just told June that he loved her.
(b) They were taking in the sights of Paris.
(c) They had just secretly eloped.
(d) They signed up as members of the Communist Party.
2. At what age did Jeremy eventually get married?
(b) In his mid-thirties.
(c) In his forties.
3. What did Jean and Harper spend a lot of their time doing?
(a) Going out to the movies.
(b) Taking cruises.
(c) Drinking and fighting.
(d) Going to museums.
4. What disease was June dying of?
(b) Pancreatic Cancer.
(c) Multiple Sclerosis.
(d) Cardiovascular Disease.
5. Bernard leaves the grave site to walk toward a yew tree in the cemetery. What does he do there?
(a) Counts the headstones.
(c) Has a cigarette.
(d) Watches the sunset.
6. Where did Toby Langley spend some of his childhood?
(a) In Notting Hill.
(b) In the Middle East, Kenya, and Venezuela.
(c) At Oxford.
(d) In the United States and Mexico.
7. What completely overshadowed Jeremy and Jenny's life until their first child was born?
(a) June's illness.
(b) Jenny's inability to have a child.
(c) Bernard's drinking.
(d) Jeremy's work.
8. What is it about Jeremy that reminds June of Bernard?
(a) His looks.
(b) His warmth and kindness.
(c) His sense of humor.
(d) His dryness and distance.
9. What does Bernard look like?
(a) He is scrawny and plain looking.
(b) He is bald with a goatee.
(c) He is obese and bald.
(d) He is large with a generous face.
10. Why did Jeremy persist in his friendship with his in-laws?
(a) They were constantly at his home.
(b) He loved them.
(c) Due to a lifetime habit of befriending parental figures.
(d) They were so alike in all ways.
11. How did June get her doctor on her side and change the staff's attitude toward her?
(a) Jeremy brought Swiss chocolates to eveyone quite often.
(b) She bribed them with money.
(c) She told them they would all be in her book.
(d) She let her intelligence and thoughtfulness be known.
12. Why did Jeremy work so hard at studying for his A levels?
(a) He wanted to prove how smart he reallly was.
(b) To attract an older woman.
(c) To find the right girl at a new school.
(d) He wanted to go to university and leave home.
13. In what way were June and Bernard alike in the beginning of their relationship?
(a) They were ophans.
(b) They were very spiritual.
(c) They were both communists.
(d) They both enjoyed theater and music.
14. What did Harper do for a living?
(a) He was a security guard.
(b) He was a bouncer at a bar.
(c) He worked in a bank.
(d) He was a part-time teaher.
15. Where did June and Bernard have their first pre-marital intimate encounter?
(a) In the home of June's girlfriend.
(b) At the dolmen.
(c) In a movie theater.
(d) In Bernard's car.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was one of the reasons Jeremy did not pursue girls at the age of seventeen?
2. In what way did June become a spiritual person?
3. According to Jeremy, looking after children is one way of what?
4. During June's generation, what was the worst possible thing that could happen to a girl?
5. Besides Communism, what is one of June's other passions as a young girl?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)