|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Bernard usually do when he knew Jeremy had just been to see June?
(a) He did nothing, as he did not care.
(b) He called Jeremy to see how ill June was.
(c) He asked if June needed anything.
(d) He telephoned Jeremy to ask if she'd been talking about him.
2. In what way were June and Bernard alike in the beginning of their relationship?
(a) They both enjoyed theater and music.
(b) They were both communists.
(c) They were very spiritual.
(d) They were ophans.
3. What completely overshadowed Jeremy and Jenny's life until their first child was born?
(a) Jeremy's work.
(b) June's illness.
(c) Jenny's inability to have a child.
(d) Bernard's drinking.
4. At what age did Jeremy eventually get married?
(b) In his mid-thirties.
(c) In his forties.
5. In the Preface, what liberty does Jeremy report that he takes in his book?
(a) He recounts certain conversations.
(b) He describes his home life with Jenny.
(c) He explains his affair with another woman.
(d) He writes about his dead parents.
6. What did Jeremy think of his friends' need to disassociate themselves from their parents?
(a) They would never make anything of themselves.
(b) They were in a downward social spiral.
(c) They were heading for a nervous breakdown.
(d) They intended to become criminals.
7. What is it that June dreaded when thinking about marriage?
(a) Having babies.
(b) Shopping for groceries.
(c) The honeymoon.
8. What did Jean think of Jeremy's friend, Toby?
(a) She had no feelings towards him at all.
(b) She had never met him.
(c) She hated him.
(d) She secretly was in love with him.
9. What disease was June dying of?
(a) Pancreatic Cancer.
(b) Cardiovascular Disease.
(c) Multiple Sclerosis.
10. What was one of the reasons Jeremy did not pursue girls at the age of seventeen?
(a) He felt he was not good looking enough.
(b) He was not attracted to them.
(c) It would distract him from his school work.
(d) He was busy with two jobs.
11. What does Bernard look like?
(a) He is obese and bald.
(b) He is scrawny and plain looking.
(c) He is large with a generous face.
(d) He is bald with a goatee.
12. How does Jeremy react to hearing June talk like a Californian professional or a dazed hippie?
(a) He wants to hear more.
(b) He is uncomfortable.
(c) He asks to tape record her.
(d) He is disgusted.
13. Bernard leaves the grave site to walk toward a yew tree in the cemetery. What does he do there?
(a) Watches the sunset.
(b) Has a cigarette.
(c) Counts the headstones.
14. What is it about Jeremy that reminds June of Bernard?
(a) His sense of humor.
(b) His dryness and distance.
(c) His warmth and kindness.
(d) His looks.
15. At what stage was June put into the hospice?
(a) She never entered a hospice.
(b) Two weeks before she died.
(c) When she was terminal.
(d) Seven years before she died.
Short Answer Questions
1. Besides Communism, what is one of June's other passions as a young girl?
2. What does June believe she discovered after the incident with the dogs?
3. As she lay ill in bed, who do we learn June is jealous of as regards Bernard?
4. What is odd about the story of how June and Bernard first met and began to date?
5. June and Bernard had another obsession. What was it?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)