|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Harper end up doing by the end of the summer of Jeremy's eighteenth birthday?
(a) He left Jean for good.
(b) He wrote his life story.
(c) He went back to college for an external degree.
(d) He took Jean and left Sally with Jeremy.
2. What did Jeremy continue to do after leaving North Oxford?
(a) Leaving places and people.
(c) Writing to Harper.
(d) Switching girlfriends.
3. What is odd about the story of how June and Bernard first met and began to date?
(a) They met on a blind date and disliked each other.
(b) They each have a different story about it.
(c) June "stole" Bernard from another woman.
(d) They met by accident.
4. During June's generation, what was the worst possible thing that could happen to a girl?
(a) Getting a divorce.
(b) Not being married by the age of 25.
(c) Being pregnant outside of marriage.
(d) Becoming a nun.
5. In what way did Jeremy identify with Sally?
(a) He felt they were both abandoned children.
(b) They loved to play the same games.
(c) He knew they were related.
(d) They had the same features and coloring.
6. In the Preface, what liberty does Jeremy report that he takes in his book?
(a) He recounts certain conversations.
(b) He describes his home life with Jenny.
(c) He explains his affair with another woman.
(d) He writes about his dead parents.
7. What is it about Jeremy that reminds June of Bernard?
(a) His dryness and distance.
(b) His sense of humor.
(c) His looks.
(d) His warmth and kindness.
8. What is the dream that has haunted June for forty years?
(a) Two dogs fighting with one another.
(b) Dogs falling from a gorge.
(c) Two dogs running down a path.
(d) Dogs chasing down rabbits.
9. Why was Jeremy so upset just before leaving for Oxford?
(a) He didn't think college was right for him.
(b) His bags would not fit in his friend's car.
(c) Harper was threatening to kill him.
(d) Sally was crying because he was going away.
10. How does Jeremy react to hearing June talk like a Californian professional or a dazed hippie?
(a) He asks to tape record her.
(b) He is disgusted.
(c) He is uncomfortable.
(d) He wants to hear more.
11. What did Harper do for a living?
(a) He was a security guard.
(b) He worked in a bank.
(c) He was a part-time teaher.
(d) He was a bouncer at a bar.
12. Who did Jeremy tend to become friendly with?
(a) No one.
(b) Other college students.
(c) Parents of people his age.
(d) Little girls of three to five-years-old.
13. Bernard tells people that June believes the dogs she encountered on the path were something other than just dogs. What were they?
(c) Satan's familiars.
(d) The ghosts of her parents.
14. What was one of the reasons Jeremy did not pursue girls at the age of seventeen?
(a) It would distract him from his school work.
(b) He was not attracted to them.
(c) He was busy with two jobs.
(d) He felt he was not good looking enough.
15. At what age did Jeremy eventually get married?
(b) In his mid-thirties.
(c) In his forties.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what way did June become a spiritual person?
2. What did Jean and Harper spend a lot of their time doing?
3. How old is Jeremy's niece at the beginning of the story?
4. According to Jeremy, looking after children is one way of what?
5. What is the Dolmen de la Prunarede?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)