|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How often did Jenny and her brothers see their parents?
(a) Several times a year.
(b) Hardly ever.
(c) Once a week.
(d) Every day.
2. What did Jeremy do for Sally?
(a) He took her away from her parents.
(b) He played with and looked after her.
(c) He took her to school every day.
(d) He gave her meals.
3. What does June want to be the centerpiece of the memoir Jeremy is writing about her?
(a) A certain Christmas dinner.
(b) Her marriage to Bernard.
(c) Her divorce.
(d) The black dogs.
4. What were June and Bernard doing at the time the photograph in Part One was taken?
(a) They were taking in the sights of Paris.
(b) They had just secretly eloped.
(c) They signed up as members of the Communist Party.
(d) Bernard had just told June that he loved her.
5. What did Jeremy lose due to a road accident?
(a) His leg.
(b) His niece.
(c) His new car.
(d) His parents.
6. What did Jeremy think of his friends' need to disassociate themselves from their parents?
(a) They were heading for a nervous breakdown.
(b) They were in a downward social spiral.
(c) They intended to become criminals.
(d) They would never make anything of themselves.
7. What does June believe she discovered after the incident with the dogs?
(a) The meaning of life.
(b) Her true self.
(c) The perfect animals.
8. Why did Jeremy persist in his friendship with his in-laws?
(a) Due to a lifetime habit of befriending parental figures.
(b) They were constantly at his home.
(c) They were so alike in all ways.
(d) He loved them.
9. What did Jeremy realize to be the simplest way of getting back a lost parent?
(a) By writing a family history.
(b) To become one yourself.
(c) To only hang around with old people.
(d) Looking at old family photos.
10. To whom does Jeremy dedicate his memoir?
(a) His wife, Jenny, and his niece, Sally.
(b) The parents he spent many hours with.
(c) His niece, Sally, and his sister, Jean.
(d) His parents.
11. What did Jean and Harper spend a lot of their time doing?
(a) Drinking and fighting.
(b) Going to museums.
(c) Taking cruises.
(d) Going out to the movies.
12. From what year is the framed photograph on June Tremaine's locker by her bed in the nursing home?
13. Where did Toby Langley spend some of his childhood?
(a) In the United States and Mexico.
(b) At Oxford.
(c) In the Middle East, Kenya, and Venezuela.
(d) In Notting Hill.
14. June and Bernard had another obsession. What was it?
15. Who did Jeremy tend to become friendly with?
(a) Parents of people his age.
(b) Other college students.
(c) Little girls of three to five-years-old.
(d) No one.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is it about Jeremy that reminds June of Bernard?
2. At what age did Jeremy eventually get married?
3. Why does Jeremy go knocking on his friend, Toby's, door?
4. What kind of religious service is performed at June's burial?
5. How does Jeremy react to hearing June talk like a Californian professional or a dazed hippie?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)