|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Jeremy's niece at the beginning of the story?
2. What was Bernard's profession?
(a) A medical doctor.
(b) An entomologist.
(c) A politician.
(d) A veterinarian.
3. How does Jeremy react to hearing June talk like a Californian professional or a dazed hippie?
(a) He wants to hear more.
(b) He is disgusted.
(c) He asks to tape record her.
(d) He is uncomfortable.
4. During June's generation, what was the worst possible thing that could happen to a girl?
(a) Not being married by the age of 25.
(b) Being pregnant outside of marriage.
(c) Getting a divorce.
(d) Becoming a nun.
5. What is Jeremy's reaction to discovering what June and Bernard's obsession together had been?
(a) He finds it difficult to imagine.
(d) He feels he knew it all the time.
6. What is the dream that has haunted June for forty years?
(a) Dogs falling from a gorge.
(b) Two dogs fighting with one another.
(c) Dogs chasing down rabbits.
(d) Two dogs running down a path.
7. How did June get her doctor on her side and change the staff's attitude toward her?
(a) She told them they would all be in her book.
(b) Jeremy brought Swiss chocolates to eveyone quite often.
(c) She bribed them with money.
(d) She let her intelligence and thoughtfulness be known.
8. What was one of the reasons Jeremy did not pursue girls at the age of seventeen?
(a) He felt he was not good looking enough.
(b) He was not attracted to them.
(c) He was busy with two jobs.
(d) It would distract him from his school work.
9. Why does Jeremy state that he was something of a parent at the age of seventeen?
(a) His girlfirend got pregnant and ran away.
(b) He felt older than all of his school friends.
(c) He took care of his sister's only child.
(d) He wanted to become a teacher.
10. When Jeremy spoke with Bernard, how did he feel about June?
(a) He felt June was right in her world beliefs.
(b) He felt sorry for her.
(c) He was glad he knew her.
(d) He knew June was outlandishlly wrong about the world.
11. Why did Jeremy work so hard at studying for his A levels?
(a) He wanted to go to university and leave home.
(b) He wanted to prove how smart he reallly was.
(c) To attract an older woman.
(d) To find the right girl at a new school.
12. What was June's basic view about life?
(a) God had no hand in it.
(b) It was best not to examine it.
(c) Life was random.
(d) It had a purpose.
13. What disease was June dying of?
(a) Cardiovascular Disease.
(b) Multiple Sclerosis.
(c) Pancreatic Cancer.
14. In what way did June become a spiritual person?
(a) Through an encounter with two dogs.
(b) She went to India to meditate.
(c) She observed the vicious death of her pet dog.
(d) Through a visit to Fatima.
15. What did Jeremy lose due to a road accident?
(a) His leg.
(b) His parents.
(c) His niece.
(d) His new car.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Jeremy think of his friends' need to disassociate themselves from their parents?
2. What did Jeremy do for Sally?
3. At what age did Jeremy eventually get married?
4. Where did June and Bernard have their first pre-marital intimate encounter?
5. To whom does Jeremy dedicate his memoir?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)