|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Jeremy spoke with Bernard, how did he feel about June?
(a) He felt June was right in her world beliefs.
(b) He knew June was outlandishlly wrong about the world.
(c) He felt sorry for her.
(d) He was glad he knew her.
2. How old is Jeremy's niece at the beginning of the story?
3. Where was June living when Jeremy was visiting her and taking notes in Part One?
(b) A nursing home.
(c) St. Privat.
(d) The Dolmen.
4. At what stage was June put into the hospice?
(a) Two weeks before she died.
(b) She never entered a hospice.
(c) When she was terminal.
(d) Seven years before she died.
5. What organization did June join when she was eighteen-years-old?
(a) The John Birch Society.
(b) The Socialist Cycling Club.
(c) The Feminist Movement.
(d) The Catholic Church.
6. What is inferred in the last sentence of the Preface?
(a) Jeremy believes in ghosts and spiritualism.
(b) June and Bernard haunt Jeremy's home.
(c) June and Bernard never forgive Jeremy.
(d) June and Bernard are dead.
7. How did June get her doctor on her side and change the staff's attitude toward her?
(a) She let her intelligence and thoughtfulness be known.
(b) Jeremy brought Swiss chocolates to eveyone quite often.
(c) She told them they would all be in her book.
(d) She bribed them with money.
8. Bernard tells people that June believes the dogs she encountered on the path were something other than just dogs. What were they?
(a) Satan's familiars.
(d) The ghosts of her parents.
9. What was one of the reasons Jeremy did not pursue girls at the age of seventeen?
(a) It would distract him from his school work.
(b) He was busy with two jobs.
(c) He was not attracted to them.
(d) He felt he was not good looking enough.
10. What did Jeremy realize to be the simplest way of getting back a lost parent?
(a) Looking at old family photos.
(b) To become one yourself.
(c) To only hang around with old people.
(d) By writing a family history.
11. Bernard leaves the grave site to walk toward a yew tree in the cemetery. What does he do there?
(a) Watches the sunset.
(c) Has a cigarette.
(d) Counts the headstones.
12. What was Jeremy writing?
(a) June's memoir.
(b) A family history.
(c) His autobiography.
(d) Bernard's travelogues.
13. To whom does Jeremy dedicate his memoir?
(a) His parents.
(b) His wife, Jenny, and his niece, Sally.
(c) The parents he spent many hours with.
(d) His niece, Sally, and his sister, Jean.
14. How does Jeremy react to hearing June talk like a Californian professional or a dazed hippie?
(a) He asks to tape record her.
(b) He wants to hear more.
(c) He is disgusted.
(d) He is uncomfortable.
15. What does Bernard look like?
(a) He is large with a generous face.
(b) He is scrawny and plain looking.
(c) He is obese and bald.
(d) He is bald with a goatee.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Jean think of Jeremy's friend, Toby?
2. Why did Jeremy persist in his friendship with his in-laws?
3. What is it that Jeremy's young son, Alexander, keeps asking on the car ride to the cemetery?
4. What was June's job when she first encountered Bernard?
5. Why did Bernard entertain in restaurants?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)