|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Bernard entertain in restaurants?
(a) He was a television personality.
(b) He was a public figure.
(c) He was a chef.
(d) He loved to eat.
2. What was it about the photograph of June and Bernard that Jeremy kept looking at that was so appealing to him?
(a) The colors were true to life.
(b) Their smiles were infectious.
(c) They both were in formal dress.
(d) The innocence of the time it was taken in.
3. What kind of religious service is performed at June's burial?
4. Where did Jenny's parents live when Jeremy first met them?
(a) In North London.
(b) In separate countries.
(c) In the South of France.
(d) In Australia.
5. What did June discover about herself the morning after the dolmen?
(a) She could not have children.
(b) She was a tired woman.
(c) She loved another man.
(d) She had physical courage.
6. What did Bernard usually do when he knew Jeremy had just been to see June?
(a) He telephoned Jeremy to ask if she'd been talking about him.
(b) He called Jeremy to see how ill June was.
(c) He did nothing, as he did not care.
(d) He asked if June needed anything.
7. Why does Jeremy state that he was something of a parent at the age of seventeen?
(a) He took care of his sister's only child.
(b) He felt older than all of his school friends.
(c) His girlfirend got pregnant and ran away.
(d) He wanted to become a teacher.
8. What did Jean and Harper spend a lot of their time doing?
(a) Going out to the movies.
(b) Taking cruises.
(c) Drinking and fighting.
(d) Going to museums.
9. Why does Jeremy go knocking on his friend, Toby's, door?
(a) To go drinking at Notting Hill.
(b) To have a game of ball.
(c) To hang out.
(d) To spend time with Toby's parents.
10. What was Bernard's profession?
(a) A politician.
(b) An entomologist.
(c) A veterinarian.
(d) A medical doctor.
11. What is the Dolmen de la Prunarede?
(a) An ancient burial site that became a family site.
(b) The place where June and Bernard married.
(c) Jenny's ideal place to live.
(d) Jeremy's home town.
12. In what way did Jeremy identify with Sally?
(a) They had the same features and coloring.
(b) They loved to play the same games.
(c) He knew they were related.
(d) He felt they were both abandoned children.
13. What did Jeremy continue to do after leaving North Oxford?
(b) Leaving places and people.
(c) Writing to Harper.
(d) Switching girlfriends.
14. What does Bernard look like?
(a) He is bald with a goatee.
(b) He is scrawny and plain looking.
(c) He is obese and bald.
(d) He is large with a generous face.
15. What did Jeremy realize to be the simplest way of getting back a lost parent?
(a) Looking at old family photos.
(b) To only hang around with old people.
(c) To become one yourself.
(d) By writing a family history.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what year is the framed photograph on June Tremaine's locker by her bed in the nursing home?
2. During June's generation, what was the worst possible thing that could happen to a girl?
3. What was June's job when she first encountered Bernard?
4. From what point of view is the novel written?
5. In what way did June become a spiritual person?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)