|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From what point of view is the novel written?
(b) Third person.
(c) Second person.
(d) First person.
2. Why does Jeremy go knocking on his friend, Toby's, door?
(a) To go drinking at Notting Hill.
(b) To hang out.
(c) To spend time with Toby's parents.
(d) To have a game of ball.
3. According to Jeremy, looking after children is one way of what?
(a) Securing the future of the world.
(b) Looking after yourself.
(c) Educating them.
(d) Getting love.
4. In what way did June become a spiritual person?
(a) Through an encounter with two dogs.
(b) She observed the vicious death of her pet dog.
(c) She went to India to meditate.
(d) Through a visit to Fatima.
5. What is the dream that has haunted June for forty years?
(a) Dogs falling from a gorge.
(b) Two dogs fighting with one another.
(c) Dogs chasing down rabbits.
(d) Two dogs running down a path.
6. Why did Bernard entertain in restaurants?
(a) He loved to eat.
(b) He was a public figure.
(c) He was a television personality.
(d) He was a chef.
7. Who did Jeremy tend to become friendly with?
(a) No one.
(b) Parents of people his age.
(c) Other college students.
(d) Little girls of three to five-years-old.
8. Why did Jeremy persist in his friendship with his in-laws?
(a) He loved them.
(b) They were so alike in all ways.
(c) Due to a lifetime habit of befriending parental figures.
(d) They were constantly at his home.
9. What completely overshadowed Jeremy and Jenny's life until their first child was born?
(a) Bernard's drinking.
(b) June's illness.
(c) Jeremy's work.
(d) Jenny's inability to have a child.
10. What is Jeremy's reaction to discovering what June and Bernard's obsession together had been?
(b) He finds it difficult to imagine.
(d) He feels he knew it all the time.
11. What did Jeremy do for Sally?
(a) He gave her meals.
(b) He took her away from her parents.
(c) He took her to school every day.
(d) He played with and looked after her.
12. June and Bernard had another obsession. What was it?
13. What did Jeremy realize to be the simplest way of getting back a lost parent?
(a) To only hang around with old people.
(b) Looking at old family photos.
(c) To become one yourself.
(d) By writing a family history.
14. What was June's job when she first encountered Bernard?
(a) French teacher for foreign diplomat's children.
(b) Senator's secretary.
(c) Interpreter and occasional translator of French documents.
(d) Socialist Party leader.
15. From what year is the framed photograph on June Tremaine's locker by her bed in the nursing home?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is it that June dreaded when thinking about marriage?
2. What did Jeremy continue to do after leaving North Oxford?
3. How often did Jenny and her brothers see their parents?
4. What did Harper do for a living?
5. What did Jean think of Jeremy's friend, Toby?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)