|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does June believe she discovered after the incident with the dogs?
(a) The perfect animals.
(b) Her true self.
(d) The meaning of life.
2. What did Jeremy do for Sally?
(a) He played with and looked after her.
(b) He took her away from her parents.
(c) He gave her meals.
(d) He took her to school every day.
3. What did Harper end up doing by the end of the summer of Jeremy's eighteenth birthday?
(a) He went back to college for an external degree.
(b) He wrote his life story.
(c) He took Jean and left Sally with Jeremy.
(d) He left Jean for good.
4. To whom does Jeremy dedicate his memoir?
(a) His niece, Sally, and his sister, Jean.
(b) His parents.
(c) The parents he spent many hours with.
(d) His wife, Jenny, and his niece, Sally.
5. In Part 1, what is it that Jeremy is thinking as he stares at June's photograph as a young newlywed?
(a) That she looks happier now than she did then.
(b) How much she had changed.
(c) How beautiful she still was.
(d) That she looks better now than she did then.
6. In what way were June and Bernard alike in the beginning of their relationship?
(a) They were ophans.
(b) They were both communists.
(c) They both enjoyed theater and music.
(d) They were very spiritual.
7. What was June's job when she first encountered Bernard?
(a) Senator's secretary.
(b) Socialist Party leader.
(c) French teacher for foreign diplomat's children.
(d) Interpreter and occasional translator of French documents.
8. June and Bernard had another obsession. What was it?
9. How does Jeremy react to hearing June talk like a Californian professional or a dazed hippie?
(a) He wants to hear more.
(b) He is uncomfortable.
(c) He asks to tape record her.
(d) He is disgusted.
10. What is inferred in the last sentence of the Preface?
(a) June and Bernard are dead.
(b) Jeremy believes in ghosts and spiritualism.
(c) June and Bernard haunt Jeremy's home.
(d) June and Bernard never forgive Jeremy.
11. What organization did June join when she was eighteen-years-old?
(a) The Feminist Movement.
(b) The John Birch Society.
(c) The Catholic Church.
(d) The Socialist Cycling Club.
12. What was Bernard's profession?
(a) An entomologist.
(b) A veterinarian.
(c) A politician.
(d) A medical doctor.
13. What is it that Jeremy's young son, Alexander, keeps asking on the car ride to the cemetery?
(a) "Why did Grandma die?"
(b) "Are we there yet?"
(c) "When is she coming back?"
(d) "WIll Grandpa die too?"
14. How many children does Jeremy end up having?
15. From what year is the framed photograph on June Tremaine's locker by her bed in the nursing home?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Jeremy continue to do after leaving North Oxford?
2. During June's generation, what was the worst possible thing that could happen to a girl?
3. Why did Jeremy persist in his friendship with his in-laws?
4. In Part One, what do we learn about Bernard's current political views?
5. What did Jean and Harper spend a lot of their time doing?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)