|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Jeremy's niece at the beginning of the story?
2. To whom does Jeremy dedicate his memoir?
(a) The parents he spent many hours with.
(b) His niece, Sally, and his sister, Jean.
(c) His parents.
(d) His wife, Jenny, and his niece, Sally.
3. In what way did Jeremy identify with Sally?
(a) He knew they were related.
(b) They loved to play the same games.
(c) He felt they were both abandoned children.
(d) They had the same features and coloring.
4. In Part One, what do we learn about Bernard's current political views?
(a) He is very conservative.
(b) He is a liberal.
(c) He is still a Communist.
(d) He is no longer involved in politics at all.
5. What kind of religious service is performed at June's burial?
6. How does Jeremy react to hearing June talk like a Californian professional or a dazed hippie?
(a) He asks to tape record her.
(b) He is disgusted.
(c) He wants to hear more.
(d) He is uncomfortable.
7. What organization did June join when she was eighteen-years-old?
(a) The Socialist Cycling Club.
(b) The Catholic Church.
(c) The John Birch Society.
(d) The Feminist Movement.
8. What did Harper do for a living?
(a) He was a part-time teaher.
(b) He worked in a bank.
(c) He was a security guard.
(d) He was a bouncer at a bar.
9. What did Jean think of Jeremy's friend, Toby?
(a) She had no feelings towards him at all.
(b) She had never met him.
(c) She secretly was in love with him.
(d) She hated him.
10. What is it that June dreaded when thinking about marriage?
(a) The honeymoon.
(b) Shopping for groceries.
(c) Having babies.
11. From what year is the framed photograph on June Tremaine's locker by her bed in the nursing home?
12. What is it that Jeremy's young son, Alexander, keeps asking on the car ride to the cemetery?
(a) "Why did Grandma die?"
(b) "When is she coming back?"
(c) "Are we there yet?"
(d) "WIll Grandpa die too?"
13. What did Jeremy do for Sally?
(a) He gave her meals.
(b) He played with and looked after her.
(c) He took her away from her parents.
(d) He took her to school every day.
14. Where did Jenny's parents live when Jeremy first met them?
(a) In the South of France.
(b) In separate countries.
(c) In Australia.
(d) In North London.
15. At what stage was June put into the hospice?
(a) She never entered a hospice.
(b) Seven years before she died.
(c) When she was terminal.
(d) Two weeks before she died.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bernard tells people that June believes the dogs she encountered on the path were something other than just dogs. What were they?
2. In what way did June become a spiritual person?
3. What is odd about the story of how June and Bernard first met and began to date?
4. During June's generation, what was the worst possible thing that could happen to a girl?
5. What did Jeremy continue to do after leaving North Oxford?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)