|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From what point of view is the novel written?
(a) Second person.
(c) Third person.
(d) First person.
2. What is it that Jeremy's young son, Alexander, keeps asking on the car ride to the cemetery?
(a) "When is she coming back?"
(b) "Are we there yet?"
(c) "WIll Grandpa die too?"
(d) "Why did Grandma die?"
3. What is it about Jeremy that reminds June of Bernard?
(a) His sense of humor.
(b) His warmth and kindness.
(c) His dryness and distance.
(d) His looks.
4. How often did Jenny and her brothers see their parents?
(a) Every day.
(b) Several times a year.
(c) Hardly ever.
(d) Once a week.
5. Why did Jeremy persist in his friendship with his in-laws?
(a) They were constantly at his home.
(b) He loved them.
(c) They were so alike in all ways.
(d) Due to a lifetime habit of befriending parental figures.
6. What is Jeremy's reaction to discovering what June and Bernard's obsession together had been?
(b) He finds it difficult to imagine.
(c) He feels he knew it all the time.
7. Why did Bernard entertain in restaurants?
(a) He loved to eat.
(b) He was a public figure.
(c) He was a television personality.
(d) He was a chef.
8. What was it about the photograph of June and Bernard that Jeremy kept looking at that was so appealing to him?
(a) They both were in formal dress.
(b) The colors were true to life.
(c) Their smiles were infectious.
(d) The innocence of the time it was taken in.
9. In what way were June and Bernard alike in the beginning of their relationship?
(a) They were ophans.
(b) They were very spiritual.
(c) They both enjoyed theater and music.
(d) They were both communists.
10. What does June believe she discovered after the incident with the dogs?
(a) The meaning of life.
(c) Her true self.
(d) The perfect animals.
11. What is happening in Jean and Harper's relationship?
(a) They have decided to have an "open marriage".
(b) They are coming apart.
(c) They are expecting another child.
(d) They are engaged.
12. What does June want to be the centerpiece of the memoir Jeremy is writing about her?
(a) A certain Christmas dinner.
(b) Her marriage to Bernard.
(c) The black dogs.
(d) Her divorce.
13. Besides Communism, what is one of June's other passions as a young girl?
(a) The countryside.
(b) Reading literary novels.
(d) Financial matters.
14. What completely overshadowed Jeremy and Jenny's life until their first child was born?
(a) June's illness.
(b) Bernard's drinking.
(c) Jenny's inability to have a child.
(d) Jeremy's work.
15. When June tells Jeremy that she and Bernard are "obsessed", to what is she referring?
(a) Their sexual life together.
(b) The need to gain governmental control.
(c) Finding a cure for her.
(d) Their children.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what age did Jeremy eventually get married?
2. To whom does Jeremy dedicate his memoir?
3. According to Jeremy, looking after children is one way of what?
4. In the Preface, what liberty does Jeremy report that he takes in his book?
5. What organization did June join when she was eighteen-years-old?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)