|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Bernard tells people that June believes the dogs she encountered on the path were something other than just dogs. What were they?
(c) Satan's familiars.
(d) The ghosts of her parents.
2. What did June discover about herself the morning after the dolmen?
(a) She loved another man.
(b) She could not have children.
(c) She was a tired woman.
(d) She had physical courage.
3. What is the Dolmen de la Prunarede?
(a) An ancient burial site that became a family site.
(b) Jenny's ideal place to live.
(c) The place where June and Bernard married.
(d) Jeremy's home town.
4. How does Jeremy react to hearing June talk like a Californian professional or a dazed hippie?
(a) He wants to hear more.
(b) He is uncomfortable.
(c) He asks to tape record her.
(d) He is disgusted.
5. What completely overshadowed Jeremy and Jenny's life until their first child was born?
(a) June's illness.
(b) Jeremy's work.
(c) Bernard's drinking.
(d) Jenny's inability to have a child.
6. What did Jean think of Jeremy's friend, Toby?
(a) She secretly was in love with him.
(b) She had no feelings towards him at all.
(c) She hated him.
(d) She had never met him.
7. In Part One, what do we learn about Bernard's current political views?
(a) He is still a Communist.
(b) He is no longer involved in politics at all.
(c) He is very conservative.
(d) He is a liberal.
8. What is it that June dreaded when thinking about marriage?
(a) Having babies.
(c) The honeymoon.
(d) Shopping for groceries.
9. Who did Jeremy tend to become friendly with?
(a) No one.
(b) Other college students.
(c) Little girls of three to five-years-old.
(d) Parents of people his age.
10. What did Jeremy lose due to a road accident?
(a) His leg.
(b) His new car.
(c) His parents.
(d) His niece.
11. What was June's job when she first encountered Bernard?
(a) Senator's secretary.
(b) French teacher for foreign diplomat's children.
(c) Interpreter and occasional translator of French documents.
(d) Socialist Party leader.
12. What was one of the reasons Jeremy did not pursue girls at the age of seventeen?
(a) It would distract him from his school work.
(b) He was not attracted to them.
(c) He felt he was not good looking enough.
(d) He was busy with two jobs.
13. What did Jeremy think of his friends' need to disassociate themselves from their parents?
(a) They would never make anything of themselves.
(b) They intended to become criminals.
(c) They were in a downward social spiral.
(d) They were heading for a nervous breakdown.
14. What is it that Jeremy's young son, Alexander, keeps asking on the car ride to the cemetery?
(a) "Are we there yet?"
(b) "When is she coming back?"
(c) "Why did Grandma die?"
(d) "WIll Grandpa die too?"
15. When did Sally let on that she had been abused as a child?
(a) When she was five-years-old.
(b) When she turned thirteen.
(c) She never did.
(d) When she was about twenty-years-old.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jeremy state that he was something of a parent at the age of seventeen?
2. Why did Bernard entertain in restaurants?
3. What does Bernard think of living in and reflecting upon the present?
4. What was June's basic view about life?
5. As she lay ill in bed, who do we learn June is jealous of as regards Bernard?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)