|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Bernard usually do when he knew Jeremy had just been to see June?
(a) He did nothing, as he did not care.
(b) He telephoned Jeremy to ask if she'd been talking about him.
(c) He called Jeremy to see how ill June was.
(d) He asked if June needed anything.
2. When did Sally let on that she had been abused as a child?
(a) She never did.
(b) When she was five-years-old.
(c) When she turned thirteen.
(d) When she was about twenty-years-old.
3. Where was June living when Jeremy was visiting her and taking notes in Part One?
(b) A nursing home.
(c) The Dolmen.
(d) St. Privat.
4. Where did June and Bernard have their first pre-marital intimate encounter?
(a) At the dolmen.
(b) In a movie theater.
(c) In Bernard's car.
(d) In the home of June's girlfriend.
5. What did Jeremy realize to be the simplest way of getting back a lost parent?
(a) By writing a family history.
(b) To become one yourself.
(c) Looking at old family photos.
(d) To only hang around with old people.
6. What kind of religious service is performed at June's burial?
7. What is it that Jeremy's young son, Alexander, keeps asking on the car ride to the cemetery?
(a) "Why did Grandma die?"
(b) "When is she coming back?"
(c) "Are we there yet?"
(d) "WIll Grandpa die too?"
8. In what way were June and Bernard alike in the beginning of their relationship?
(a) They were very spiritual.
(b) They were both communists.
(c) They were ophans.
(d) They both enjoyed theater and music.
9. What did Jeremy do for Sally?
(a) He took her to school every day.
(b) He played with and looked after her.
(c) He gave her meals.
(d) He took her away from her parents.
10. What does June believe she discovered after the incident with the dogs?
(a) The meaning of life.
(c) The perfect animals.
(d) Her true self.
11. What did Harper do for a living?
(a) He was a part-time teaher.
(b) He was a bouncer at a bar.
(c) He worked in a bank.
(d) He was a security guard.
12. What does Bernard think of living in and reflecting upon the present?
(a) It should be combined with the past.
(b) One can learn about life.
(c) It is self-indulgent.
(d) It is the only way to live.
13. In Part One, what do we learn about Bernard's current political views?
(a) He is no longer involved in politics at all.
(b) He is still a Communist.
(c) He is very conservative.
(d) He is a liberal.
14. Why did Bernard entertain in restaurants?
(a) He loved to eat.
(b) He was a television personality.
(c) He was a chef.
(d) He was a public figure.
15. What was Jeremy writing?
(a) June's memoir.
(b) A family history.
(c) Bernard's travelogues.
(d) His autobiography.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jeremy react to hearing June talk like a Californian professional or a dazed hippie?
2. What disease was June dying of?
3. When June tells Jeremy that she and Bernard are "obsessed", to what is she referring?
4. As she lay ill in bed, who do we learn June is jealous of as regards Bernard?
5. Bernard tells people that June believes the dogs she encountered on the path were something other than just dogs. What were they?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)