|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does June want to be the centerpiece of the memoir Jeremy is writing about her?
(a) Her divorce.
(b) Her marriage to Bernard.
(c) A certain Christmas dinner.
(d) The black dogs.
2. What did Harper do for a living?
(a) He was a security guard.
(b) He worked in a bank.
(c) He was a part-time teaher.
(d) He was a bouncer at a bar.
3. What did Jean and Harper spend a lot of their time doing?
(a) Going to museums.
(b) Going out to the movies.
(c) Drinking and fighting.
(d) Taking cruises.
4. What is the Dolmen de la Prunarede?
(a) An ancient burial site that became a family site.
(b) The place where June and Bernard married.
(c) Jeremy's home town.
(d) Jenny's ideal place to live.
5. How did June get her doctor on her side and change the staff's attitude toward her?
(a) She let her intelligence and thoughtfulness be known.
(b) She told them they would all be in her book.
(c) She bribed them with money.
(d) Jeremy brought Swiss chocolates to eveyone quite often.
6. How old is Jeremy's niece at the beginning of the story?
7. What is the dream that has haunted June for forty years?
(a) Two dogs running down a path.
(b) Two dogs fighting with one another.
(c) Dogs falling from a gorge.
(d) Dogs chasing down rabbits.
8. What did Jean think of Jeremy's friend, Toby?
(a) She hated him.
(b) She had no feelings towards him at all.
(c) She secretly was in love with him.
(d) She had never met him.
9. What was Bernard's profession?
(a) A medical doctor.
(b) An entomologist.
(c) A politician.
(d) A veterinarian.
10. When did Sally let on that she had been abused as a child?
(a) When she turned thirteen.
(b) She never did.
(c) When she was five-years-old.
(d) When she was about twenty-years-old.
11. During June's generation, what was the worst possible thing that could happen to a girl?
(a) Becoming a nun.
(b) Not being married by the age of 25.
(c) Being pregnant outside of marriage.
(d) Getting a divorce.
12. What does Bernard think of living in and reflecting upon the present?
(a) One can learn about life.
(b) It should be combined with the past.
(c) It is self-indulgent.
(d) It is the only way to live.
13. Where did Jenny's parents live when Jeremy first met them?
(a) In North London.
(b) In separate countries.
(c) In the South of France.
(d) In Australia.
14. What disease was June dying of?
(a) Multiple Sclerosis.
(c) Pancreatic Cancer.
(d) Cardiovascular Disease.
15. What were June and Bernard doing at the time the photograph in Part One was taken?
(a) They were taking in the sights of Paris.
(b) Bernard had just told June that he loved her.
(c) They signed up as members of the Communist Party.
(d) They had just secretly eloped.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did June and Bernard have their first pre-marital intimate encounter?
2. Besides Communism, what is one of June's other passions as a young girl?
3. What did Jeremy do for Sally?
4. What is Jeremy's reaction to discovering what June and Bernard's obsession together had been?
5. How often did Jenny and her brothers see their parents?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)