|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does June believe she discovered after the incident with the dogs?
(a) The perfect animals.
(b) The meaning of life.
(c) Her true self.
2. Why did Bernard entertain in restaurants?
(a) He was a public figure.
(b) He loved to eat.
(c) He was a chef.
(d) He was a television personality.
3. What did Jeremy realize to be the simplest way of getting back a lost parent?
(a) To only hang around with old people.
(b) To become one yourself.
(c) Looking at old family photos.
(d) By writing a family history.
4. When did Sally let on that she had been abused as a child?
(a) When she was five-years-old.
(b) When she was about twenty-years-old.
(c) She never did.
(d) When she turned thirteen.
5. At what stage was June put into the hospice?
(a) She never entered a hospice.
(b) Two weeks before she died.
(c) Seven years before she died.
(d) When she was terminal.
6. What does Bernard think of living in and reflecting upon the present?
(a) It should be combined with the past.
(b) It is the only way to live.
(c) It is self-indulgent.
(d) One can learn about life.
7. What did Harper end up doing by the end of the summer of Jeremy's eighteenth birthday?
(a) He left Jean for good.
(b) He took Jean and left Sally with Jeremy.
(c) He went back to college for an external degree.
(d) He wrote his life story.
8. What did Jean and Harper spend a lot of their time doing?
(a) Taking cruises.
(b) Going to museums.
(c) Drinking and fighting.
(d) Going out to the movies.
9. In the Preface, what liberty does Jeremy report that he takes in his book?
(a) He writes about his dead parents.
(b) He explains his affair with another woman.
(c) He describes his home life with Jenny.
(d) He recounts certain conversations.
10. What did Harper do for a living?
(a) He was a security guard.
(b) He worked in a bank.
(c) He was a part-time teaher.
(d) He was a bouncer at a bar.
11. What is Jeremy's reaction to discovering what June and Bernard's obsession together had been?
(b) He feels he knew it all the time.
(d) He finds it difficult to imagine.
12. What was June's job when she first encountered Bernard?
(a) Socialist Party leader.
(b) Interpreter and occasional translator of French documents.
(c) French teacher for foreign diplomat's children.
(d) Senator's secretary.
13. What did Bernard usually do when he knew Jeremy had just been to see June?
(a) He did nothing, as he did not care.
(b) He asked if June needed anything.
(c) He telephoned Jeremy to ask if she'd been talking about him.
(d) He called Jeremy to see how ill June was.
14. What kind of religious service is performed at June's burial?
15. In what way were June and Bernard alike in the beginning of their relationship?
(a) They both enjoyed theater and music.
(b) They were very spiritual.
(c) They were both communists.
(d) They were ophans.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was one of the reasons Jeremy did not pursue girls at the age of seventeen?
2. What disease was June dying of?
3. How does Jeremy react to hearing June talk like a Californian professional or a dazed hippie?
4. In what way did June become a spiritual person?
5. What does Bernard look like?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)