|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Jeremy do for Sally?
(a) He took her to school every day.
(b) He played with and looked after her.
(c) He gave her meals.
(d) He took her away from her parents.
2. Besides Communism, what is one of June's other passions as a young girl?
(a) Reading literary novels.
(b) Financial matters.
(c) The countryside.
3. Bernard leaves the grave site to walk toward a yew tree in the cemetery. What does he do there?
(a) Watches the sunset.
(b) Has a cigarette.
(d) Counts the headstones.
4. What did Jeremy lose due to a road accident?
(a) His new car.
(b) His parents.
(c) His leg.
(d) His niece.
5. What does June believe she discovered after the incident with the dogs?
(b) Her true self.
(c) The perfect animals.
(d) The meaning of life.
6. As she lay ill in bed, who do we learn June is jealous of as regards Bernard?
(a) The nurses who chat with him.
(b) His housekeeper.
(c) Any woman he meets.
(d) His secretary.
7. June and Bernard had another obsession. What was it?
8. What is inferred in the last sentence of the Preface?
(a) Jeremy believes in ghosts and spiritualism.
(b) June and Bernard are dead.
(c) June and Bernard never forgive Jeremy.
(d) June and Bernard haunt Jeremy's home.
9. At what age did Jeremy eventually get married?
(a) In his forties.
(c) In his mid-thirties.
10. When did Sally let on that she had been abused as a child?
(a) When she turned thirteen.
(b) She never did.
(c) When she was five-years-old.
(d) When she was about twenty-years-old.
11. What did Jeremy realize to be the simplest way of getting back a lost parent?
(a) To become one yourself.
(b) By writing a family history.
(c) Looking at old family photos.
(d) To only hang around with old people.
12. Bernard tells people that June believes the dogs she encountered on the path were something other than just dogs. What were they?
(c) The ghosts of her parents.
(d) Satan's familiars.
13. What is it that June dreaded when thinking about marriage?
(a) Shopping for groceries.
(b) The honeymoon.
(c) Having babies.
14. Where did Jenny's parents live when Jeremy first met them?
(a) In North London.
(b) In the South of France.
(c) In Australia.
(d) In separate countries.
15. What did Harper do for a living?
(a) He was a part-time teaher.
(b) He worked in a bank.
(c) He was a security guard.
(d) He was a bouncer at a bar.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is it about Jeremy that reminds June of Bernard?
2. Where did Toby Langley spend some of his childhood?
3. How old is Jeremy's niece at the beginning of the story?
4. What does Bernard think of living in and reflecting upon the present?
5. In the Preface, what liberty does Jeremy report that he takes in his book?
This section contains 519 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)