|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Bernard leaves the grave site to walk toward a yew tree in the cemetery. What does he do there?
(a) Counts the headstones.
(b) Has a cigarette.
(d) Watches the sunset.
2. What did Bernard usually do when he knew Jeremy had just been to see June?
(a) He telephoned Jeremy to ask if she'd been talking about him.
(b) He called Jeremy to see how ill June was.
(c) He asked if June needed anything.
(d) He did nothing, as he did not care.
3. In what way did June become a spiritual person?
(a) Through an encounter with two dogs.
(b) She went to India to meditate.
(c) Through a visit to Fatima.
(d) She observed the vicious death of her pet dog.
4. From what point of view is the novel written?
(a) Second person.
(b) Third person.
(c) First person.
5. What organization did June join when she was eighteen-years-old?
(a) The Feminist Movement.
(b) The Socialist Cycling Club.
(c) The John Birch Society.
(d) The Catholic Church.
6. When did Sally let on that she had been abused as a child?
(a) When she turned thirteen.
(b) When she was five-years-old.
(c) When she was about twenty-years-old.
(d) She never did.
7. What did Jeremy realize to be the simplest way of getting back a lost parent?
(a) To become one yourself.
(b) By writing a family history.
(c) To only hang around with old people.
(d) Looking at old family photos.
8. Why did Bernard entertain in restaurants?
(a) He was a chef.
(b) He was a television personality.
(c) He loved to eat.
(d) He was a public figure.
9. June and Bernard had another obsession. What was it?
10. What did Jeremy lose due to a road accident?
(a) His new car.
(b) His niece.
(c) His leg.
(d) His parents.
11. From what year is the framed photograph on June Tremaine's locker by her bed in the nursing home?
12. What did Jeremy continue to do after leaving North Oxford?
(a) Writing to Harper.
(c) Leaving places and people.
(d) Switching girlfriends.
13. When June tells Jeremy that she and Bernard are "obsessed", to what is she referring?
(a) Finding a cure for her.
(b) Their children.
(c) Their sexual life together.
(d) The need to gain governmental control.
14. Where was June living when Jeremy was visiting her and taking notes in Part One?
(b) A nursing home.
(c) The Dolmen.
(d) St. Privat.
15. What did Harper do for a living?
(a) He was a part-time teaher.
(b) He worked in a bank.
(c) He was a bouncer at a bar.
(d) He was a security guard.
Short Answer Questions
1. As she lay ill in bed, who do we learn June is jealous of as regards Bernard?
2. What is it that June dreaded when thinking about marriage?
3. Where did Toby Langley spend some of his childhood?
4. At what age did Jeremy eventually get married?
5. What is it about Jeremy that reminds June of Bernard?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)