|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Jeremy's reaction to discovering what June and Bernard's obsession together had been?
(c) He finds it difficult to imagine.
(d) He feels he knew it all the time.
2. As she lay ill in bed, who do we learn June is jealous of as regards Bernard?
(a) The nurses who chat with him.
(b) His housekeeper.
(c) Any woman he meets.
(d) His secretary.
3. In what way did June become a spiritual person?
(a) She observed the vicious death of her pet dog.
(b) Through an encounter with two dogs.
(c) She went to India to meditate.
(d) Through a visit to Fatima.
4. What was June's job when she first encountered Bernard?
(a) French teacher for foreign diplomat's children.
(b) Socialist Party leader.
(c) Interpreter and occasional translator of French documents.
(d) Senator's secretary.
5. What is it that Jeremy's young son, Alexander, keeps asking on the car ride to the cemetery?
(a) "Are we there yet?"
(b) "WIll Grandpa die too?"
(c) "When is she coming back?"
(d) "Why did Grandma die?"
6. Who did Jeremy tend to become friendly with?
(a) Other college students.
(b) Parents of people his age.
(c) Little girls of three to five-years-old.
(d) No one.
7. Besides Communism, what is one of June's other passions as a young girl?
(b) Financial matters.
(c) Reading literary novels.
(d) The countryside.
8. Why does Jeremy state that he was something of a parent at the age of seventeen?
(a) He felt older than all of his school friends.
(b) He wanted to become a teacher.
(c) He took care of his sister's only child.
(d) His girlfirend got pregnant and ran away.
9. What did Jean and Harper spend a lot of their time doing?
(a) Taking cruises.
(b) Going out to the movies.
(c) Drinking and fighting.
(d) Going to museums.
10. What is happening in Jean and Harper's relationship?
(a) They are expecting another child.
(b) They are coming apart.
(c) They have decided to have an "open marriage".
(d) They are engaged.
11. What were June and Bernard doing at the time the photograph in Part One was taken?
(a) They had just secretly eloped.
(b) They were taking in the sights of Paris.
(c) Bernard had just told June that he loved her.
(d) They signed up as members of the Communist Party.
12. What did Jeremy lose due to a road accident?
(a) His parents.
(b) His niece.
(c) His leg.
(d) His new car.
13. What did Jeremy realize to be the simplest way of getting back a lost parent?
(a) To become one yourself.
(b) Looking at old family photos.
(c) To only hang around with old people.
(d) By writing a family history.
14. What was one of the reasons Jeremy did not pursue girls at the age of seventeen?
(a) He was not attracted to them.
(b) He was busy with two jobs.
(c) It would distract him from his school work.
(d) He felt he was not good looking enough.
15. At what stage was June put into the hospice?
(a) When she was terminal.
(b) Two weeks before she died.
(c) Seven years before she died.
(d) She never entered a hospice.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what year is the framed photograph on June Tremaine's locker by her bed in the nursing home?
2. Bernard tells people that June believes the dogs she encountered on the path were something other than just dogs. What were they?
3. What is odd about the story of how June and Bernard first met and began to date?
4. What does June believe she discovered after the incident with the dogs?
5. In Part 1, what is it that Jeremy is thinking as he stares at June's photograph as a young newlywed?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)