|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was June living when Jeremy was visiting her and taking notes in Part One?
(a) St. Privat.
(c) A nursing home.
(d) The Dolmen.
2. What did Jeremy continue to do after leaving North Oxford?
(a) Switching girlfriends.
(b) Leaving places and people.
(d) Writing to Harper.
3. What was June's basic view about life?
(a) God had no hand in it.
(b) Life was random.
(c) It had a purpose.
(d) It was best not to examine it.
4. Why was Jeremy so upset just before leaving for Oxford?
(a) Harper was threatening to kill him.
(b) His bags would not fit in his friend's car.
(c) He didn't think college was right for him.
(d) Sally was crying because he was going away.
5. What organization did June join when she was eighteen-years-old?
(a) The Catholic Church.
(b) The Feminist Movement.
(c) The Socialist Cycling Club.
(d) The John Birch Society.
6. What is Jeremy's reaction to discovering what June and Bernard's obsession together had been?
(a) He finds it difficult to imagine.
(c) He feels he knew it all the time.
7. According to Jeremy, looking after children is one way of what?
(a) Securing the future of the world.
(b) Educating them.
(c) Looking after yourself.
(d) Getting love.
8. What does Bernard look like?
(a) He is bald with a goatee.
(b) He is large with a generous face.
(c) He is obese and bald.
(d) He is scrawny and plain looking.
9. As she lay ill in bed, who do we learn June is jealous of as regards Bernard?
(a) The nurses who chat with him.
(b) Any woman he meets.
(c) His housekeeper.
(d) His secretary.
10. Why does Jeremy state that he was something of a parent at the age of seventeen?
(a) He wanted to become a teacher.
(b) He felt older than all of his school friends.
(c) He took care of his sister's only child.
(d) His girlfirend got pregnant and ran away.
11. What completely overshadowed Jeremy and Jenny's life until their first child was born?
(a) Jenny's inability to have a child.
(b) Jeremy's work.
(c) June's illness.
(d) Bernard's drinking.
12. What were June and Bernard doing at the time the photograph in Part One was taken?
(a) Bernard had just told June that he loved her.
(b) They had just secretly eloped.
(c) They signed up as members of the Communist Party.
(d) They were taking in the sights of Paris.
13. At what age did Jeremy eventually get married?
(a) In his mid-thirties.
(b) In his forties.
14. How old is Jeremy's niece at the beginning of the story?
15. What was Bernard's profession?
(a) A politician.
(b) A veterinarian.
(c) A medical doctor.
(d) An entomologist.
Short Answer Questions
1. June and Bernard had another obsession. What was it?
2. How many children does Jeremy end up having?
3. Why did Jeremy persist in his friendship with his in-laws?
4. How often did Jenny and her brothers see their parents?
5. Why did Bernard entertain in restaurants?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)