|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Bernard accuses June of having left the Party years before he did, but for a different reason. What was her reason, according to Bernard?
(a) June wanted to trade that utopian ideal for another.
(b) June wanted to be as different from Bernard as she could be.
(c) She converted to Stalinism.
(d) June saw a tragic flaw in Communism and became an atheist.
2. When Bernard and Jeremy look out over the border and the Wall from an observation stand in Part Two, what one word does Jeremy have to say?
3. While June and Bernard were on their honeymoon, what did they volunteer to do?
(a) Transport supplies across the Italian border.
(b) Work six weeks for the Red Cross.
(c) They gave blood.
(d) Help with food rations in Italy.
4. When Jeremy tries to get some words in edgewise during the conversation he is overhearing, what do the voices do?
(a) They completely ignore him.
(b) They stop completely.
(c) There is violent yelling.
(d) They are silent for a few moments.
5. What does June tell Bernard she wants to do when he finally catches up with her after she has seen the black dogs?
(a) She wants to vomit.
(b) She wants to turn back.
(c) She wants to move on.
(d) She wants a divorce.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Jeremy persist in his friendship with his in-laws?
2. In Part Three of the book, Jeremy asks Bernard to tell him the details of a story. Which story is that?
3. How does Bernard react to Jeremy's knowledge of where they had met the women who helped Bernard get to a taxi?
4. When Jeremy asks Bernard if he wants to sit and rest for a while as they make their way to a cafe, why does Bernard leave his side?
5. What does Jenny tell Jeremy when he asks why she mentioned black dogs earlier?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)